No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the "Komenda-Commendation" Jack! but I'm just a hobbiest hack with a wire-welder and a lot of cardboard to make templates with.
    Thanks again! Justin

2/29/14
    Left side inner flange repair in steel.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis1236.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	39790
    basic part trimmed out of steel and in for an initial fitment.

Name:	Achassis1238.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	39791
    Had to pie-cut two reliefs into the face so the mount flange would hug the embossment at the top as it did before. Back filling the spaces here.

Name:	Achassis1245.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	39792
    New piece fully welded and dressed here. You can clearly see how the inner flange in no way runs parallel with the outer flange.

Name:	Achassis1247.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39793
    Very similar to the way it came from the factory but a bit beefier with that heavier gauge square stock in there...

Name:	Achassis1239.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	39794
    Mounted again to make sure it still fit like it was supposed to.

Name:	Achassis1242.JPG
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	39795
    Couldn't be happier, fits just like its paper cousin.

Name:	Achassis1243.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	39796
    Anchor plate flange will be eventually plug-welded onto this new inner wall as it was done originally.

Name:	Achassis1248.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	39797
    Will cap the bottom up tomorrow and begin the right side inner flange.
    Thanks for looking! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Man, Justion I thought I had been up close and personal with a 356 from time to time but this takes it to a whole different level.

Given the scope of your project would an investment in a good spot welder be warranted? I can imagine it would safe you a ton of time having the grind plug welds.

Cheers,

JK

Comment

• Justin, looks awesome. Do you feel like you should keep your paper Origami patterns after you finish a part? I always feel like I should save them, but eventually the become trash or smaller patterns. If you buy a spot welder, don't go cheap and buy one of the many Chinese crap units, they suck. I have one and for a few spots here and there they are ok, other than that, it's a boat anchor. Buy a good one. The small units are ok, but limited. Eventually you would need a much bigger unit. I am sure by now your manual spot technique has gotten to point of minimal after grinding. Thanks for posting.

Oh yea, do you use a camera or cell phone to take pics?
        Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• a master class ,, many thanks as always from Bangkok

Comment

• Thanks a lot Murf, So glad you find this worth following!

Hey Joris, If I have my MIG all dialed in as far as wire speed and heat there really isn't very much to grind off. I don't entirely trust spot-welders for thorough penetration through two panels but I'm probably being a little paranoid from all the horror stories I've heard about panels breaking free. When I need to replicate a spot weld my little panel welder can handle that job going over my dresses plug-welds. My next welder purchase is going to be TIG so another spot-welder isn't even on my radar at this point.

Thanks Mark! yeah, I save a few of them if I keep them from getting wet or crumpled up.

Name:	Achassis1252.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	39959
            Here's that battery floor pattern from my coupe along with several others...

Name:	Achassis1253.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	39960
            Here are the one's from this job and like you mentioned some are repurposed for other patterns or get ruined by accident. I think 99% of these will never be used again and its more accurate to make a new template for the current job in front of me. Most of the time anyway..
            These photos are all taken with a digital camera.
            Thanks again you guys!!!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/1/14
              seat pan and Cross-member ready for final install

Name:	Achassis1249.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	39962
              Always a nice timer saver to be able to reuse a template by flipping it over for the other side. This one was as simple as turning the mount flange the other way.

Name:	Achassis1250.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	39963
              New part ready for test fitment.

Name:	Achassis1251.JPG
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	39964
              Fine trimming and adjustments next but would not take much. Inner embossed knockout cut and rewelded level here.

Name:	Achassis1255.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	39965
              new section now welded in making the final required repair before permanent installment complete.

Name:	Achassis1254.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	39966
              With this repair done I've gone about as far as I can go. I'll need those new panels from Steve Hogue first. They should be on their way to me before the week is out.

Name:	Achassis1256.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	39967

Name:	Achassis1257.JPG
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	39968
              All repair panels fitted for a quick mock up

Name:	Achassis1258.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	39969
              So rewarding to see solid metal in these blind corners again.

Name:	Achassis1259.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	39970
              A lot of time and prep just to get this far.

Name:	Achassis1261.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	39971
              Again none of this stuff can be welded in until the new frame runners are fully installed however with this stage now set with all the panels and parts ready I should make some very good headway in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for looking! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR70" post=17429
                Thanks for the "Komenda-Commendation" Jack! but I'm just a hobbiest hack with a wire-welder and a lot of cardboard to make templates with.
                Get out your torches Funny, I just received a current early 911 muffler direct from Porsche and the entire assembly was gas welded, and quite sloppy as well... just like the old days
                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Probably Chinese...
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Maybe, but stamped in the normal location "made in germany" with the 911 part # stamped after it, all with good lettering and spines on the muffler inlets as og, not like Dansk. I liked it.
                    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• 4/7/14

Sort of hit a wall in progress until the new parts arrive but just heard from Steve this morning and they are on the way so I should have them by Wed. Here's a couple of photos he enclosed of what's coming.

Name:	017.JPG
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	40244
                      Beautiful of course!

Name:	019.JPG
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	40245
                      I had sent Steve photos of the cut chassis and told him I just needed the panel up to the edge of the shock embossment. As you can he must have forgotten and made each length past the embossment. I feel terrible because I know some time was spent knocking and shaping those in. I'm tempted to use the entire thing so they don't go to waste but I'll most likely end up cutting them. We'll see after they get here. Thanks for watching! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/9/14
                        New frame sections from Steve Hogue arrive today!

Name:	Achassis1267.JPG
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	40401
                        Everything I need to rebuild the basic end of this frame.

Name:	Achassis1268.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	40402
                        I went back and forth several times in my head as to weather I'd use those pockets or cut them ahead as I originally had planned.

Name:	Achassis1271.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	40403
                        I decided to begin with the right first. I finally decided on this side anyway to include the pocket as the lower flange on this side was in need of replacement anyway. This also gives me a chance to address the rust in between the outer plate and this inner wall. I would be cutting the anchor plate free as I had done previously on the left side.

Name:	Achassis1272.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	40404
                        Anchor plate removed and in for its initial test fit. Punched in the hole for the shank. Fresh metal sure changes the outlook!

Name:	Achassis1273.JPG
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	40405
                        As you can see I jumped the gun and cut a forward section out before I had changed my mind again to use it all.

Name:	Achassis1275.JPG
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	40406
                        Continuing to message this in tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/11/14
                          Right side repair section ready to install.

Name:	Achassis1277.JPG
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	40602
                          Once I began peeling back this section it quickly became apparent that this was the right decision. A lot of heavy advanced rust leaving this outer wall very thin and weak.

Name:	Achassis1278.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	40603
                          Shock reinforcement plate was thoroughly wire wheeled then treated with rust converter. All ready to accept the new panel here.

Name:	Achassis1279.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	40604
                          The rest of this chassis is set at level and am making sure this new panel is also oriented at level.

Name:	Achassis1281.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	40605
                          Some very minor trimming, wiggling and heating to do but the overall fit is pretty good. That Steve Hogue makes a nice panel!

Name:	Achassis1282.JPG
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	40606
                          Holes are punched for the plug welds to the shock plate. Will weld this in for good once I double check the measurements and orientation.(tomorrow)
                          Thanks for looking! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• What a nice repair you have made there Justin. Steve does make some super repair panels. good decision not to cut. It never ceases to amaze me just where the rust can get to out of sight but in your case, not out of mind.

Roy

Comment

• Thank you very much Roy!

4/12/14
                              New panel in
                              After few slight modifications this new panel was now ready to be welded in.

Name:	Achassis1280.JPG
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	40667
                              During the test fits I noticed that the bottom flange over-shot the aft seat flange section and would not line up in its best adjusted position.

Name:	Achassis1289.JPG
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	40670
                              Once I got to studying the original on my car I realized it was a factory fitment issue as well. You can see here how flange is folded over tight to double-back so a secondary bend can create the proper alignment.

Name:	Achassis1286.JPG
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	40668
                              Double bend all finished here. Actually I had to straighten the initial flange and rebend this section for a better approach angle.

Name:	Achassis1291.JPG
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	40669
                              Par for the course; you have to make these new parts work for your specific application.

Name:	Achassis1288.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	40671
                              New section all but stitched in now.

Name:	Achassis1287.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	40672
                              Some heat was required at the top so it would conform tightly to the crown of the shock plate. A touch more welding to do but I'll have it knockout by next session and will move to the left side. Thanks for looking! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin
                                Looking good. On Foamcar that panel is 18 ga. Some of the thickest metal on the car. Harder to form.
                                Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X