Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin,
    That turned out real nice! I really like the picture of the tree of clamps....no movement there.

JP
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thank you John! Had to make sure it didn't move during the install. As you know if it can go wrong it will if you don't watch it.

7/27/14

Right side A-pillar closing panel and pocket fabrication.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis1878.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	46574
      left template flipped over for a right side pattern and basic shape cut from steel here. As with the previous repairs the luxury of flipping an existing template over for the opposite side saves a bit of time. Duplicating the procedure also helps things along too.

Name:	Achassis1879.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46575
      Initial bends in at the base and along the seal channel making this first test fit possible. Good so far.

Name:	Achassis1881.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	46576
      Today's accomplishment of a new closing panel and an initially shaped pocket. Continuing on tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Great work Justin.
        Thanks for the close up detail pics of your door tops, I'm assuming the pins stand proud and float so that the vinyl covering can be pushed underneath?

Your A pillars are looking superb, before you throw your cardboard template away could you take some measurements for me.

I have drawn out what I think you have been making but would love your accurate measurments, please feel free to amend/scribble all over it.

Name:	speedsterApillar.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	46580

I am thinking of making a hammer form to simplify the process as I'm not sure my skill/patience will match yours.

Regards
        Drew

Comment

• Thanks a lot Drew! Yes, the pins do stand up a bit. I'll get a detailed shot of that for you. WOW! That's a nice CAD diagram! The one detail that really stands out as being incorrect is the pocket orientation. Most of the inner lip of the pocket except for a last little bit down by the tip is one with the 90 degree edge down in the seal channel. At least that is the way it was on '54 Speedster #54 which is the car I made these impressions from.

Name:	Achassis1862.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	46653
          You can see here that its one in the same with this flange then just a few MM's before the tip it turns away.

Name:	Achassis1882.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	46654
          If your up for some Low-tech help I'd be happy to send you these plastic models and the template I made.

Name:	Achassis1883.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	46655
          As of this afternoon (7/2 I have just about got this last pocket all but dialed in. One more session should do it. Anyway I won't have any further use for them on this project and can always make them again If I ever need to. Just let me know. Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi justin
            Thank you very much for the kind offer, I would very much appreciate the loan of your moulds and would pay for shipping to get them to me in the UK and send them back when I've completed the hammer form.
            One request. Could you take a picture of the finished piece as straight on as you can get preferably with a milimeter ruler on the same plane?
            This will help get it spot on.
            Ping me a mail and I will send you my address.
            My email is: drew.saunders@fcbinferno.com

Thanks again.
            Drew

Comment

• Hi Drew
              Do you need more photos or measurements from a Real Speedster
              Then I can help you if you want....its a total renovation going on this body.
              Ex US history. Just let me know
              / Per

Name:	image_2014-07-29.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	46674
              JOP

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_08041.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	46677

This is of the crashed left side windshield post mounting of 84255, as fixed by me after I bought it and installed a Speedsterized C Coupe door with a bunch of shims for the hinges...it was, after all, 'just a race car' back then. I thought a picture may be of some interest before I re-glue the seal back on today.

-Bruce

Comment

• Sure thing Drew, I'll email directly.

Nice offer Per, Its a great luxury to be able to reference factory stuff.

Bruce, Thank you for posting this photo!!!!!
                  After looking at Drew's diagram and Trevor's new speedster posts/pockets I thought I may have gotten the inner detail of the cups wrong or was thinking that '54 Pre-A style may have been different. After looking at your photo its clear that from 80054 to 84255 is the same design. Most of the inner run of the cup is incorporated and washes in with the channel section. Thank you for confirming this and easing my mind!
                  Thanks again!! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Drew, here are a few more close ups of the door top ferrules and the straight-on shot of the A-pillar you asked for with scale. Sent you an email for your shipping address. Justin

Name:	Achassis1892.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	46689

Name:	Achassis1894.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	46690

Name:	Achassis1893.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	46691

Name:	Achassis1896.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	46692

Name:	Achassis1888.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	46693

Name:	Achassis1890.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	46694

7/29/14
                    Right pocket continued.

Name:	Achassis1897.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	46695
                    Only had an hour to play with it today so this time was spent tightening up the lines and bending the flanges.

Name:	Achassis1899.JPG
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	46697
                    The shape is close with just a few more contours to tighten up.

Name:	Achassis1900.JPG
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	46696
                    Should have the shape finalized by tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi Per, Bruce and Justin
                      Thanks for all the offers of pics and measurements.
                      The more data I can get from original cars the more accurate the drawing/form will be.
                      Shots square on and with ruler ref (like Justins) are really useful.
                      Outside diameter and length of pin locating tube would also be helpful.

I will update the drawing in a couple of days and re post.
                      Regards
                      Drew

Comment

• Thanks Drew! Getting the templates in the mail for you tomorrow.

7/31/14
                        Right pocket and A-pillar conversion continued.

Name:	Achassis1901.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	46783
                        Relief cuts at the top to get the last bit of contoured shape I need.

Name:	Achassis1903.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	46784
                        Excess metal trimmed and now ready to be welded back up.

Name:	Achassis1910.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	46785
                        Basic shape and contour completed.

Name:	Achassis1909.JPG
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	46786
                        Double check against the shape of the mold; close enough for Gov't work.

Name:	Achassis1905.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	46787
                        These two are now ready to be grafted together but have to get the frame prepped first.

Name:	Achassis1913.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	46788
                        Tedious job of removing the mount flanges of the original panel.

Name:	Achassis1915.JPG
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	46789
                        Initial holes cut for the pocket in both the closing panel and Frame. Continuing the fitment of all three pieces tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/1/14
                          Right A-pillar conversion parts now ready for final assembly.

Name:	Achassis1917.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	46807
                          Pocket fully clearance and seated into the pillar frame. Again I find it much easier to fit it in alone versus trying to fit it as unit with the rest of the closing panel. You can see at the bottom that I still have a bit of rust to fix before I can close it up.

Name:	Achassis1918.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	46808
                          I was having a few fitment issues with my initial closing panel. The main problem being that the lead on the outer edge was cut a bit too short and was not going to completely wrap around the frames leading edge. I thought about just forging ahead but I just wasn't happy with it. Something I read in Ron Fournier's metal shaping book years ago ran through my head. It was along the lines of what makes difference between a great and clean metal repair versus a ratty cobbled together repair relies heavily on the fabricators willingness to throw a bad part away and begin again. I took his advice and began again.

Name:	Achassis1919.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	46809
                          All three pieces sandwiched in together and fitting pretty well here.

Name:	Achassis1921.JPG
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	46810
                          I can begin grafting the new closing panel with the pocket tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/2/14
                            Right side closing panel and pocket welded.

Name:	Achassis1922.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	46828
                            Final trimming and fitting to both the pocket flange and new closing panel completed. Mounted up flush into the frame to ensure proper orientation. Clamped and ready for some tack welds here.

Name:	Achassis1923.JPG
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	46829
                            New parts all welded up

Name:	Achassis1924.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	46830
                            Final prep and repair of the cavity next then this piece goes on for good.
                            Thanks for looking! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-08-03.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	46844
                              Orginal picture

Name:	image_2014-08-03-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	46845
                              Slightly distorted pictures with measurements

Name:	image_2014-08-03-3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	46846
                              Any questions just let me know
                              JOP

Comment

• Per, thank you for taking the time to take a few measurements. I'm sure the next guy who is thinking about this conversion will appreciate that!

8/4/14
                                Right A-pillar closing panel mounted.

Name:	Achassis1927.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	46906
                                New panel and pocket acid dipped clean, prepped for plug-welds and ready to mount for the final time.

Name:	Achassis1928.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	46907
                                Clamped into position and began plug-welding the inner channel to the frame first.

Name:	Achassis1931.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	46908
                                with the inner section welded and set I began spooning the outer flap around the frame as originally done.

Name:	Achassis1933.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	46909
                                A quick test fit of this frames "new" speedster door just make sure there were no issues. So far so good.

Name:	Achassis1936.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	46910
                                New Speedster closing panel set.

Name:	Achassis1937.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	46911
                                Leaving the top portion loose for now. Final shape and height will be completely dependent on the new dash cowl position and its relationship to the fully mounted and adjusted door. A little further down the road...

Name:	Achassis1934.JPG
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	46912
                                Received a correct A-version rear floor pan from Rusty Tubs on Friday. An incorrect B/C rear pan came with the chassis the day it arrived.

Name:	Achassis1939.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	46913
                                With both A-pillars back to even with each other I'm going to switch gears for a bit and finish up the floor and tunnel repairs.

Name:	Achassis1938.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	46914
                                Spent the last part of this session positioning this pan section for fine trimming along its edges. Continuing its installation tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X