Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin,

The transformation from the original chassis is amazing. You've done a great job! More importantly, you've documented how it should be done correctly for the rest of us. Thank you for that.

John
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Justin
      Wow! Nice to see it starting to come back together. You have gone where few ever have. Thanks for documenting it.
      Phil

Comment

• Thanks a lot John, I really appreciate you saying that! I hope your making progress on your coupe and am looking forward to any updates on it!

Thank you Phil, this is all new territory for me too! Thanks again you guys! Justin

5/16/14
        Left inner frame section repair.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis1349.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	42391
        While I've decided to save this side for sure it still needs a few other nagging repairs other than new mount flanges. Rust holes along the profile of the old parcel shelf and a twisted-off bolt shank for the jump seat.

Name:	Achassis1352.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	42392
        A carefully placed blob of weld for my vice-grips to hang onto and some torch heat fortunately took care of the broken shank problem.

Name:	Achassis1394.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	42393
        Paper templates begin

Name:	Achassis1395.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	42394
        I'm shooting for making this lower repair flange out of one piece.

Name:	Achassis1396.JPG
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	42395
        Basic profile needed now in template form. Will begin contouring the new section to this shape tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• I am really happy that we got so much information given due to guys like you Justin that are taking photos of all your steps of the rebuild of a 356.
          It gives valueable info regarding the way our 356 are put togheter.
          If you ever wounder how or which order the sheetmetal shall lay...you get online to get more info
          It was diffrent 20-30 years back .... no so common knowledge of the correct way of repairs.
          So Internet and digital photos is after all good
          Keep up the good work and take more photos.
          / Per
          JOP

Comment

• Thanks a lot PW! It is always great to hear that some of this detail stuff might actually help someone else down the road. Sounds like you have a project waiting in the wings? Thanks again for that nice response! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• I know I speak for others in that I follow along all the time and always love looking at the updates & reading the comments. Most of the time I don't have anything to say other than nice work, looks awesome, etc. Can't really post that all the time but just so you know I'm watching & think it's awesome. I truly am amazed at the craftsmanship & patience you guys have.

PS - This is for all the other restoration threads too. I'm soaking it all in.
              Mic
              1959A coupe

Comment

• Very much appreciated Mic! Thank you Sir!

5/18/14
                Lower left frame closing section complete.

Name:	Achassis1401.JPG
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	42462
                relief cuts now into the wall so the flange can conform to the seat pan profile.

Name:	Achassis1400.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	42463
                relief cuts into the forward flange are next so it will contour with the wall.

Name:	Achassis1403.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	42464
                Flange reliefs in and initially profiled to the original section. Very rough initial mock-up fitment here.

Name:	Achassis1409.JPG
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	42465
                No way to clamp it for an accurate fit so a few screws had to be run in.

Name:	Achassis1410.JPG
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	42466
                I needed the fit especially snug here so I could throw a tack weld on these cuts to ensure the correct position when I remove it.

Name:	Achassis1411.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	42467
                New repair is slowly coming into better focus.

Name:	Achassis1412.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	42468
                Reliefs are now set with a tack weld so final trimming and fitment to the old closing panel can begin.

Name:	Achassis1413.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	42469
                The two pieces were fitted in the frame and tacked at the ends to establish the final cut line. I need a razor thin joint so I double checked and refitted it to the chassis; good thing I did because the rear portion was out a little. I've learned the hard way to check and recheck; particularly when the pieces are curly like this one is.

Name:	Achassis1414.JPG
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	42470
                New lower repair flange cut to final shape.

Name:	Achassis1416.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	42471
                Before any tack welding the entire run was first clamped into final position. Starting at one end would definitely caused welding and fitment problems.

Name:	Achassis1417.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	42472
                Entire piece tacked and test fitted yet again to make sure.

Name:	Achassis1418.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	42473
                So far so good..

Name:	Achassis1420.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	42474
                New section all stitched on. Definitely some tweaking and adjusting as she goes in for good but its basically there.

Name:	Achassis1421.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	42475
                Working on this rear corner closing section next. It would have been ideal if the weld joint could have intersected across the anchor plate but the perimeter kits wall unfortunately didn't go that high.

Name:	Achassis1423.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	42476
                Begin templates to close this hole up tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Very interesting repair indeed. It goes to show if you started welding doing only that job, it could frighten you off doing anything else on the car. Your tips about measure, check, measure, check and weld only when positive makes so much sense.

You have to think all the time doing this work. I am in the middle of some awkward plumbing in my house at the moment. I am adopting your rules on measuring twice cutting once.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks a lot Roy! I just replaced a pair of sinks in our bathroom and one drain just insisted on leaking so it took a couple of tries to finally get it to quit; not fun.

2/24/14
                    Rear corner repair section in.

Name:	Achassis1443.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	42879
                    This is what I'm shooting for. The original inside of my coupe.

Name:	Achassis1425.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	42880
                    After a couple of generations of templates I had my pattern.

Name:	Achassis1426.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	42881
                    Locating and centering this window/ hole was probably more time than anything. onto to metal

Name:	Achassis1428.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	42882
                    New section in basic form and in for one of many trial fitments.

Name:	Achassis1429.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	42883
                    Hole now punched and continuing to refine the shape. Pie-cutting of the mount flange was of course required to make the turns.

Name:	Achassis1430.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	42884
                    The anchor plate itself became a useful tool in contouring this new piece.

Name:	Achassis1433.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	42885
                    Established its best adjusted fit and began welding along the bottom. Wanted to have it set before shrinking and shaping the top.

Name:	Achassis1435.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	42886
                    With the vertical wall stitched together the sloping of the top was next. A relief cut along the outer corner was required to gather-up the excess metal.

Name:	Achassis1436.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	42887
                    The top was sloped, contoured and welded right up the cut leaving this excess flap.

Name:	Achassis1437.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	42888
                    flap trimmed and welding completed.

Name:	Achassis1438.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	42889
                    Some initial weld dressing and mount flange pie-cuts filled and shaped.

Name:	Achassis1439.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	42890
                    In for another test fit. I had my doubts on how cleanly I would be able to make this piece. There is so much going on at once in this corner and the repair has to conform quite a bit.

Name:	Achassis1440.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	42891
                    Almost ready to go in for good! Still have to clean and seal this inner cavity in paint but that shouldn't take long. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Wow! Quite impressive, Justin. Can you give some details how you filled in the gaps between the pie cuts? The piece turned out just like a stamped piece.

JP
                      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks a lot John! One of the secrets at least for me is taking the time to make good paper templates. If you have to make 2-3 versions in paper to get it right so much the better as it gives you time to plan and really get your head around its correct shape before you move into steel. I used to almost never make templates and would begin with metal with very mixed results but mostly bad. Even if the part was very poorly executed I wouldn't toss it because of time I had invested in it. According to Ron Fournier this is mistake #1. Guys become unwilling to throw away a sub-par item because of the time spent and use it anyway. He says, One of the keys to quality metal work is to always be willing to throw a mistake away and begin again. Paper templates really help to eliminate that, at least for me.
                        The pie-cut fills could not be simpler; I just cut and weld tiny wedges of metal that fit into those voids in the flange. Thanks once again!! Justin
                        5/25/14
                        Left inner frame sections gets welded in for good tomorrow!

Name:	Achassis1444.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	42906
                        Spent todays session tying up all the loose ends so I could get this inner cavity in paint and get this section mounted for good. Those series of rust holes was one of the first things. Rat-tail filed the holes to eliminate the super thin edges then cut Tiny metal plugs out to weld onto. Sort of like I did on those pie-cuts John.

Name:	Achassis1445.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	42907
                        Acid bath was next to clean up all the rust on the inner surface.

Name:	Achassis1447.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	42909
                        With those rust holes plugged I was able to install the new replacement mount flange sections for the parcel shelf.

Name:	Achassis1446.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	42908
                        Its ready! just need to get the inner surfaces sealed.

Name:	Achassis1448.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	42910
                        remaining surface rust gets a coat of converter next.

Name:	Achassis1449.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	42911
                        2k epoxy primed.

Name:	Achassis1450.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	42912
                        Done! Finished in a coat of spare white paint. As with the conversation on Tom's post about sealing these areas; its really just overkill at this point. Aside from the apocalypse these cars will never be exposed to eliments as they were in years past. Welding this on tomorrow! Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,
                          I continue to be amazed at your efforts on this project. You realize you are the probably the first person to construct an entire 356 from the ground up in 49 years!
                          DG

Comment

• This frame was pretty bad but I did have a little bit to weld onto so its not entirely from scratch. Thanks a lot David!!

5/26/14
                            Left inner frame section installed

Name:	Achassis1452.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	43051
                            Had to add more holes along the flanges for the plug-welds and holes to secure it to the internal anchor plate. With that now done it was finally time to install.

Name:	Achassis1453.JPG
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	43055
                            Section was now flush mounted at the rear to the cross-member and adjusted to its closest fitment originally. It of course wiggled and fought me for a bit.

Name:	Achassis1459.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	43052
                            Since this area was most critical I began welding at the anchor-plate and moved forward.

Name:	Achassis1456.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	43053
                            In Tom's post we've recently been talking about mistakes; I of course just made a new one. I had fitted and attached the lower repair run first, the upper corner section was afterward. I got a bit lax during its install and did not fully secure the lower run when I set and welded in the corner. Well it floated a bit and bit me in the ass! With the rear fully mounted flush and correct the last 10 inches of my new flange was no longer making contact with the seat pan! I had to recut the weld this distance to move it down flush where it belonged. Missed it by that much! A lesson learned for the right side in not to get lazy with the test fits.

Name:	Achassis1454.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	43054
                            Anyway the ceremony is now over so its just straight welding from here on in which will be wrapped up by tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Getting there Justin! Can you post a picture of the entire chassis? I'd like to see the forest for the trees.
                              trevorcgates@gmail.com
                              Engine # P66909... are you out there
                              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Thanks Trevor here's a couple as of tonight:

Name:	Achassis1465.JPG
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	43093

Name:	Achassis1467.JPG
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	43094
                                I try not to look at it from this vantage point because it exhausts my mind thinking about all that still needs to be done.

5/28/14

Left inner frame section welded up and finally complete.

Name:	Achassis1472.JPG
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	43095
                                Took another solid session but I finally got this section all sewn up and completed.

Name:	Achassis1473.JPG
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	43096
                                Still a little more finishing to do on the upper seam run but the welding itself is done.

Name:	Achassis1463.JPG
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	43097
                                My coupe shows a seam weld were the anchor plate flange and outer cover flange meet.

Name:	Achassis1469.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	43098
                                Replicated here. Went a little further at the bottom to cross the joint were my two repair section meet for a bit more support.

Name:	Achassis1462.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	43100
                                Another loose end which was so nice to finish off was at this upper cross-member joint. Took the torch and melted in the saddle for the deck lid cable conduit to pass through. This is the way it appears to have been opened originally on my coupe. Anyway it tied the ends together really nicely.

Name:	Achassis1466.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	43099
                                Conduit fits fine. Notice the thickness in the flange accumulating as all these pieces meet.

Name:	Achassis1474.JPG
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	43101
                                With the left side built and my confidence up I'll begin paper templates for this rougher right side tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X