No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work Justin, hope to see it personally soon!
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

• Justin,
      I dragged my lazy butt out to the barn this evening. Found that all three of my cars have slightly different measurements to pan location landmarks. Big surprise huh?

Anyway, for academic interest, here goes.

All measurements are from the vertical bulkhead where the master cylinder/pedal cluster mount, at the left bolt hole.

#1 is rear edge of the circular depression
      #2 is center of pedal mount bolt just behind rear depression
      #3 is apparent centerline (top) of transverse tube
      #4 is forward edge of the big depression in the rear pan

chassis floor---------#1-------#2-------#3-------#4
      89379 original------8"-------8 3/8"---31 5/8"--41"
      126687 original------7 7/8"---8 3/8"---31 1/2"--40 7/8"
      104006 repro (simnsn)8"-------8 5/8"---31 7/8"--41 1/8"

Take care,
      DG

Comment

• Hey Tony, Thank you! So nice to see you finally logging in and posting; Welcome! Sure anytime! BTW: Jeff (ciscokid is a long time Porsche nut who has just moved back into town. We'll all have to get together some time soon. Thanks again for being here! Justin

Hey David,
        okay, I'll use your landmarks and take some measurements tomorrow. I have two cars here with original floors so we'll see how they come out..
        1/8/14
        A very abbreviated session this afternoon and mainly formed a plan of attack as far as welding sequence.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1701.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	34787
        Decided to begin from the forward center then out to the edges. Drilled and installed a few self-tapping screws to draw these two pieces together tightly before welding. I have cleco pins but found out several years ago while repairing the battery box on my coupe that screws provide much tighter clamping force.

Name:	carrera1702.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	34788
        Another reason I have decided to leave the sides loose for now is this gap found on both corners. I'll need to torch-heat the floor here to be able to draw it down tight and contour it to this lip. The sides need to be loose to allow the amount of stretch and movement I need. Working on that tomorrow. Thanks for watching this! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, just tell me when!

Comment

• That would be great, I would love to meet other 356/911/912 fanatics like myself here in the LV valley. We will have to setup a time so I can meet Jeff and have a chance to catch up regarding our projects. By the way, I am very near to needing a chromer and do you know of anyone who polishes glass? I need to remove some light surface scratches on my 912's driver side glass before I reassemble the door (I rebuilt the window regulator mechanism)? I would love to chat with you regarding some nerdy engineering/technical matters I am currently working on at the moment.
            "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

• Thanks Tony, we'll plan a day here shortly Jeff...

David, I finally got around to those measurements:

Chassis.........#1......#2........#3..........#4
              58367-original 8", 8 3/8" , 32" , 40 1/2"

Original floor
              58 T-2 coupe 8" , 8 3/8"(just over) , 31 1/2", 41"

Some slight differences in length across the pan halves.

1/11/14
              Drawing up the corners and leading edge of new pan.

Name:	3562595.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	34987
              Began torch heat and hammer work to the inside floor corner to get it to stretch and contour to this flange. This is after a couple of rounds.

Name:	3562596.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	34988
              It wasn't all just floor stretch. I also heated and shrunk this outer flange to meet the new panel the rest of the way.

Name:	3562599.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	34989
              With this corner shaped I could begin plug-welding the sides down to the flange.

Name:	3562597.JPG
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	34990
              referring back to the original floor on my coupe the factory seam welded this corner just past the shoulder. weld replicated here.

Name:	3562598.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	34991
              Onto the right side and Leap frogging my screws and gradually replacing them with a plug-weld as I draw this side as close as I can before applying the heat. Repeat tomorrow; so far so good. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Looking good Justin. Nice work on fitting that corner and replicating the factory welds. Surprised to see you use Phillips heads screws. I use the TEC screws based on a recommendation years ago from Bruce. Hex head, which imo is much easier to install and remove, plus self drilling and tapping. You can see one in this pic where I used 3 along the top of the flange to hold the new rocker in place.

Name:	rearfit.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	34996

Phil

Comment

• I am surprised the floors are that off. I don't understand why they don't have the dies correct?
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Too much of that great German beer?

Comment

• Thanks Phil, I think you guys are onto something I like those better; next time I'm at the hardware store I'll pick up a box.

Mark, the stampings in this floor are a little faint in areas and the forward section is one of them. This is only the second floor I have ever installed. The first one was in '07 on that speedster project and we used Zim's Simonson supplied floors.

Name:	5402515.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	35046
                      Here it is and as you can the relief at the edges is well defined and I did not have the issue I'm running into now. Like David Gensler I think I'm now sold on Simonson floors. The floor I'm working with now is from Stoddards and is supplied by Restoration Design. Watching Phil and Tom struggle with making thier rocker panels work I think I'm going with Simonson for those as well. BTW: I did have fitment issues with the Simonsen battery box front closing wall meaning none are perfect but I'd like the best stamped piece available.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• 1/17/14
                        Paper template complete as Steve Hogue requested.

Name:	carrera1716.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	35426
                        Wrapped this little chore up over last weekend and sent it off.

Name:	carrera1717.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	35427
                        Steve confirmed he's got it so we should see this new part in a couple of weeks.

Name:	Achassis985.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	35428
                        In the mean time I'm continuing on welding up the perimeter of this new forward pan.

Name:	Achassis984.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	35429
                        My original floor and cross member on my coupe has this leading edge seam welded across however they stopped at the pan. I decided to take it just a few MM's further and include the pan for more tie in strength. Basically still correct and most would never know the difference.

Name:	Achassis986.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	35430
                        Plug-welding down the sides as well and am also replicating seam welds were originally done. The factory ran a seam across that "V" junction on the floor as well as a few other places I'll show when I get there.

Name:	Achassis949.JPG
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	35431
                        Original seam detail on my coupe. So glad its here for reference!
                        Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 1/28/14

New chassis parts:

Name:	DSCN9897.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	36068
                          Steve Hogue came through on that rear vertical closing wall and I should have it in my hands next week.

Name:	DSCN9898.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	36069
                          Embossments and details look good! Trimming and fitting of course but what a nice looking start.

Name:	Achassis991.JPG
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	36070
                          New donor rear seat pan with cross-member arrived on Monday.

Name:	Achassis993.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	36071
                          Excellent, solid, rust-free original chassis parts. Only draw-back is they were cut short ahead of the mount flanges so I'll be fabricating those simple repairs.

Name:	Achassis988.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	36072
                          Original seat pan and cross-member is of course severely rusted out and heavily pitted.

Name:	Achassis989.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	36073
                          Both lower corners are gone and repair patches were considered but on close examination the rust is very advanced throughout the cross-member.

Name:	Achassis990.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	36074
                          Other side

Name:	Achassis987.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	36075
                          The cancer is not localized to the corners; heavy pitting and rust damage runs all the way up its walls.

Name:	Achassis996.JPG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	36076
                          A cosmetic cap is not going to cut it; the rust runs too deep.

Name:	Achassis994.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	36077
                          This is the business end of this chassis. The weight of the drivetrain and the torsional force of its operation runs through this cross member. I wouldn't want that thin rusted out old anchor-point in my car. This replacement is a must as far as I'm concerned. Prepping this area until my wall arrives from Steve. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Well you have your work cut out for you now Justin. Great find on the donor parts. Steve is a great guy. Never met him, but he asked me to call him when I was trying to repair the badly damage passenger fender. He spent a lot of time on the phone with me with great advice for how to fix that fender. Unfortunately, it was still beyond the scope of my abilities. If I ever get out there I would love to tour his shop.
                            Good decision on the repair strategy.
                            Phil

Comment

• I too noticed that the Simonson pieces seemed more defined, at least in the pics. On another subject, have you noticed that your self drilling screws are only good for one or two uses before they are too dull to reuse? That's what I have found seems a waste to throw them away, but nothing worse than fighting w a .02 cent screw.
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Wow, Justin this thread gets more and more interesting the deeper you go. Some nice work here, and that item reproduced by Steve looks great. I have watched his 'you tube' videos that guy really impresses me the work on those early 356 cars by him is just great.

I still get surprised at the rot you can uncover when everything inside is removed. The depth of rust damage can so easily remain covered up unless go to the degree of removing all carpet and sound deadening panels.This is where buying an old 356 could still be a problem even with a PPI. Those back area's are just so diffcult to see and establish if good or bad.

I have never had wet carpets and I have in the past banged on those panels with a flat faced hammer seems all sound and from underneath as far as I can see also its okay but I would really like to know for certain. ( But the carpets will not be ripped out just to see.)

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X