• Show
Clear All

• Part2 Tube fitment now begins..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1499.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	29141
    Now for the tedious task of getting all three opening to line up all while getting the bulk-heads to seat correctly against the walls. A few trial fitments required to say the least.

Name:	carrera1505.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	29143
    Because of the steep approach angle this one is tricky. Instead of cutting the hole bigger I began flanging the opening out of the way to ensure I have enough metal to bridge over come closing time.

Name:	carrera1506.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	29142
    lower opening is almost set.

Name:	carrera1508.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	29144
    Miscalculated and came up a touch short on the defrost tube.
    Continuing on tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• What will you do there Justin fabricate a small 'sleeve' to fill that gap?

Very difficult sometimes to arrive at the correct measurement. Somtimes you can be lucky andits oversize!

Roy

Comment

• Hey Roy, Yes that is exactly how I'll fix it. I'll install an inner collar or sleeve which will make for a secure weld joint.
        11/5/13
        Almost ready to install the tube but the original bulkheads did not fair as well on this side requiring some repair caps.

Name:	Achassis829.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	29400
        One down two more to go..

Name:	Achassis831.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	29401
        Should have these wrapped up by tomorrow... Thanks for looking! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• 11/13/13
          Right side tube installed and tacked.
          This side fought me a little more than the left. I had a hell of a time getting the front and rear tube ends to line up with the bulkheads fully seated into position. Some cutting and re-indexing would be required to get it all to fit nice.

Name:	Achassis832.JPG
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	30256
          While I had a clean shot at it I ground and peeled the remaining mount flange for the old Longitudinal to make way for the new piece.

Name:	Achassis838.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	30257
          No matter how I tried I just could not get the front and rear tube ends to line properly while allowing the 3 bulk-heads to seat flush against the walls. Only option was to cut the ends off, establish the bulkheads and index the ends then re-weld.

Name:	Achassis835.JPG
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	30258
          In its best adjusted position the front angled away more than I liked.

Name:	carrera1567.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	30259
          Tube ends were tacked into correct position, tube was removed then fully re-welded. Here it is re-installed and tacked into final position.

Name:	carrera1566.JPG
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	30260
          I'll be welding up ends tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Great blog Justin. One of the best on the net for 356 restoration. An inspiration for my T5 Roadster project for next year. Please keep the posts coming. Cheers, Murf

Comment

• Hey Murf, Thank you very much and Welcome to our forum! Its always great to hear that these posts are of some value. Best of luck with your project! If you have some time please start a thread about your car(s); we'd love to see them! Thanks and Welcome once again! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 11/23/13
                More right side tube and defroster bulkhead repair.

Name:	Achassis840.JPG
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	30941
                The angle cut and approach angle was just too complicated for a bridge patch for the tube sections and would have had to have been in a coil-spring shape. The easiest thing was an extension cap like I did on the other side.

Name:	Achassis839.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	30942
                Repaired the bulk head mount flange while I was at it. The rusty corner just above it in this shot had to be patched next.

Name:	Achassis842.JPG
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	30943
                Another tiny and tedious repair patch that must be completed before the big stuff can go over the top of it. This one repairs the corner wall that gets sandwiched between the seal channel and the door well floor vertical wall.

Name:	Achassis843.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	30944
                Tacking the channel to it here by plug welding the holes that were the original spot-welds I drilled out to free it.

Name:	Achassis847.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	30945
                With that one done I can now move forward on the new door-well repair floor. I am fitting the new closing panel to make sure the forward mount flange fits and locates the new floors elevation.

Name:	Achassis846.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	30946
                Developing the template now. You can see here how the new floor will mate to that forward closing flange.

Name:	carrera1588.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	30947
                Iron strap mounted to represent the eventual splash-pan wall for proper fitment.

Name:	carrera1587.JPG
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	30948
                floor template taped (mounted) to the longitudinal closing panel flange and getting the vertical wall cut to shape.

Name:	carrera1586.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	30949
                Its so crucial to mock the walls up. If you try to free-style this the flanges and the part itself never fits like it should have. Been down that road already.

Name:	carrera1589.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	30950
                Template is in final form.

Name:	carrera1593.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	30951
                Ready to move onto steel. Cutting and folding tomorrow.
                Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice work as always. I love building panels with templates and fabricating where there was nothing. Metal Origami.
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thanks Mark! Hey, what's going on with you? Have you since sold your 356?

11/25/13
                    new right side door well floor fabrication and install continued:

Name:	Achassis850.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	31171
                    new piece cut out and folded into basic shape. Happy with the fitment so far.

Name:	Achassis849.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	31172
                    Still have to put the last two bends in the tail there.

Name:	Achassis851.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	31173
                    Template placed in it here to show me exactly where to bend. A lot riding on these last two bends for alignment and proper fitment. I had the urge to second guess it but in the end you have to just trust the template.

Name:	Achassis852.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	31174
                    New repair panel complete.

Name:	Achassis855.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	31175
                    Gave the new piece a quick acid bath and is in for another test fit. A few little adjustments and tweaks but its close!

Name:	Achassis853.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	31176
                    Once I punch the holes in for my plug-welds this will be good to go.

Name:	carrera1603.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	31177
                    Slowly tacking and adjusting as it goes. Should have it all stitched in tomorrow. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• 11/30/13
                      New right closing panel all stitched in. Now time to make the secondary closing wall.

Name:	carrera1607.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	31561
                      Using the template I saved from the other side. Just have to make a bridge section so it will work with what is left of this wall.

Name:	Achassis860.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	31562
                      Right template now complete, onto steel.

Name:	Achassis862.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	31563
                      New wall section flanged, punched with holes and now ready to be welded in.

Name:	Achassis870.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	31564
                      In! A bit more dressing to do on the welds but that's just detail stuff I'll catch later.

Name:	Achassis871.JPG
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	31565
                      with that the forward section complete it was time to flip the chassis over to the other side to address the inner rear perimeter corner and to finish up some loose ends I could not get to with it on its opposite side. Once I get this longitudinal rebuilt this frame is going on my rotisserie; turning this over manually is getting old.

Name:	Achassis872.JPG
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	31566
                      Welding the lip of this outlet was one of those loose ends that had to wait until the frame was turned over. Edges are all shaped around the tube and its now ready to weld

Name:	Achassis876.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	31567
                      Welding almost complete, I came up a bit shy on that forward joint; will have to cut a little sliver piece to go in there so I can close it up.

Name:	Achassis873.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	31568
                      Cutting and prepping this rear inner corner tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Super work Justin,

Templates are everything for certain. And it must as you say be difficult sometimes to trust them when you come to form them them in steel.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks a lot Roy! Yes, the templates really are the key and I still can get a little bit indecisive at times when making the jump to metal. Justin

12/6/13
                          Rear lower inner corner complete.

Name:	Achassis878.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	32061
                          Section of new perimeter "cornered" and ready for test fitments.

Name:	Achassis879.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	32062
                          Drilling and splitting the old spot-welds in preparation for the new part.

Name:	Achassis884.JPG
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	32063
                          Just about clean of old metal. The new piece can now be fitted in to get the lower portion of the vertical wall cut to length and shape. Of course there were holes on this section of tubing to repair.

Name:	Achassis883.JPG
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	32064
                          new piece in for another test fit and final trimming to the old wall is next.

Name:	Achassis885.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	32065
                          Rust holes welded up and the wall is trimmed to final length. Just have to treat the remaining surface rust with converter before tacking the new part in.

Name:	Achassis886.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	32066
                          All tacked in. Just like the other side the vertical rear flange will be left loose for the eventual fitment of the rear closing wall that gets sandwiched between these two pieces.

Name:	Achassis888.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	32067
                          All in

Name:	Achassis889.JPG
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	32068
                          And with that last section comes the completion of perimeter repairs on this project. A very small victory but I'll take it...

Name:	Achassis893.JPG
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	32069
                          Will turn the chassis back over (again) to prep the cavity for primer and paint then the closing panel goes on. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/10/13
                            Right longitudinal sealed and ready for its new closing panel.

Name:	carrera1653.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	32379
                            Remaining surface rust coated in converter first. Sealer coat of 2K primer applied here.

Name:	carrera1654.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	32380
                            A good top coat of paint was applied next. Ready for the closing panel! Mounting that tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/13/13
                              Getting it closed up.

Name:	Achassis894.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	32670
                              A good session was spent fine trimming and fitting this new closing panel.

Name:	Achassis895.JPG
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	32671
                              Also spent punching all those holes along the flanges for the plug welds. Clamped into final position and ready for welding; at long last..

Name:	Achassis899.JPG
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	32672
                              Plug welding begins. I began welding at the upper sill flange and started from the center working outward. This keeps the panel square and from bunching up. This lesson I learned the hard way.

Name:	Achassis900.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	32673
                              Once the upper flange was complete I addressed the lower run. Again, working from the center outward. As you can see I still have a few on either side to finish up. Will do that and begin fabricating the end caps next.
                              Thanks for reading this! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/19/13
                                Right longitudinal completed

At long last this right side member is fully capped and fabricated. Some minor detail work to address of course but structurally its finished.

Name:	Achassis905.JPG
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	33241
                                Started with the front. Again some time and effort were saved by flipping over the template I had made for the left side.

Name:	Achassis906.JPG
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	33242
                                Unlike the left however, the upper portion of this panel was still in good solid condition so I saved it and cut just above the rot. New lower section cut to basic shape and in for a test fit.

Name:	Achassis908.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	33243
                                Final shape and all plug-weld holes punched. Ready to go.

Name:	Achassis910.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	33244
                                Slowly stitching it in.

Name:	Achassis911.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	33245
                                In

Name:	carrera1669.JPG
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	33246
                                With the front all welded up I moved to the back. As with the fronts the cancer at the rears are just opposite from side to side. The rot goes much higher on this side requiring a larger repair panel.

Name:	carrera1668.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	33247
                                The repair on this side will run under the closing wall mount flange. This was going anyway but will need to be removed now so I can fix that upper corner.

Name:	carrera1670.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	33248
                                In process of peeling that flange here.

Name:	Achassis914.JPG
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	33249
                                Flipping left paper template over again. This time adding length.

Name:	Achassis915.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	33250
                                Repair piece cut to basic shape.

Name:	Achassis917.JPG
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	33251
                                All welded in. This build is a T1 theme so the outer flange was trimmed down and seam welded as done originally.

Now that both longitudinals are rebuilt along with that sub-frame holding jig the structural integrity of this chassis is now at level where I feel good about getting it mounted on my rotisserie. Will be getting prepped for that stage next. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X