No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep nice work Justin, its really coming together now. I hope the doctor likes the progress. Best to all and yes, this forum just gets better and better!

Roy

Comment

• Thank you very much Roy! The Doc seems very happy so far which is of course the most important thing.

Thank you Phil Like all the stages before its going to be another learning experience for sure.

Thanks Per, how'd you guess my real age? Great comparison photo you posted BTW. That was nice confirmation on how this rear cowl and quarter profile are shaping up to an original.

My thanks to you all of you guys for those nice posts once again!
      Wishing you all the best in this new year! Justin

1/5/16
      Left quarter panel fitment.(a few days ago)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis4527.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	71409
      After some time spent getting my head around the best way to approach mounting this fender it became clear to treat it like all the panels before. Position it so it continues the body line and shape off the end of the door. Once the gap and profile shape are established I'll chase the rest of fender toward the back of the car.

Name:	Achassis4529.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	71410
      perfect example at the door handle where the vertical profile of the fender needs to be matched to the profile of the door.

Name:	Achassis4528.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	71411
      Height issue at the upper corner of the door here and the list goes on...

Name:	Achassis4536.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	71412
      I mentioned to Trevor on the initial order not to bother mounting the inner rail run but he must have forgotten. You can see here that I've already removed it by drilling out the spot welds. Not because I already used mine but for the freedom of adjustment specific to this car. I need to be able to slip the fenders edge up or down to match the door without disturbing the set position of the rail to the inner wheel house.

Name:	Achassis4534.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	71413
      I need the ability to push this corner down level with door and having that inner channel free makes it a lot easier.

Name:	Achassis4540.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	71414
      The lower gap is tight and too wide at the top but its good average overall fit for now so I added a screw to help hold it. Its just some place to begin.

Name:	Achassis4537.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	71415
      Started adding clamps at the top to begin squeezing it down into alignment. Again this is where having it free from that inner channel really helps. It was also nice too see this whole sticker/fender area taking a finished shape.

Name:	Achassis4542.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	71416
      Second clamp added to drive that corner down level with the door. Still a long ways off but headed in the right direction. Fender is under a bit of pressure here BTW as its of course is fighting me but It will eventually submit.

Name:	Achassis4543.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	71417
      Upper gap getting better. While I like that tighter gap the rest of the way down its too tight for the chassis flex of an open car so it will need to come back a few mm's.

Name:	Achassis4544.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	71418
      Wheel arch is also lining up pretty good.

Name:	Achassis4547.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	71419
      Body lines are getting better from the door handle upward. I sure like added muscle of that crowned fender opening profile but to be correct it will have to be chased out flatter.

Name:	Achassis4546.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	71420
      More gradual fitting next. Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• As usual......not for the faint of heart! Great job and progress.

John
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• going great Justin, oh the joys of bodywork lol

first time i have seen trevor's panels in close up pictures but they do look very good

Comment

• John, I could say the exact thing about your project...not for the faint of heart either, Thanks again!

Thanks a lot Neal! Yes, Trevor's the savior for mortal guys like me who can't fabricate their own panels like you can.

1/7/16

Prepping chassis for rear cowl permanent install.

Name:	Achassis4548.JPG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	71510
            With the fender in pretty good alignment there is quite the gap to close between the lip and the lower channel. Had to determine which side needs to move most so they'll seat tight.

Name:	Achassis4551.JPG
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	71511
            To help determine this I installed the top frame to see how the shouldered opening matched the base bow.

Name:	Achassis4553.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	71512
            Pretty damn close so the rail will have to be adjusted to suit.

Name:	Achassis4550.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	71513
            I tell you, a lot of "planets" all have to line up before you can really commit to anything.

Name:	Achassis4554.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	71514
            To my relief the lid opening is lining up pretty well at the corner.

Name:	Achassis4556.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	71515
            But, it falls away from the lid as it continues down. Need to determine wheather the fender has to swing in more or the line needs cutting and moving.

Name:	Achassis4555.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	71516
            Won't have that answer until I get the ass end off the hoist and begin fitting the tail skin.

Name:	Achassis4558.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	71517
            Through this test fitment I was able to determine that it is now time to go ahead and mount the rear cowl on for good.

Name:	Achassis4566.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	71518
            I broke it all back down....AGAIN to prep both the substructure and the underside of the cowl for primer and paint.

Name:	Achassis4569.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	71519
            Much to my great surprise this area remains an open cavity up in the wheel well. I was shocked to be able to run my hand up under the rear cowl of my original reference speedster.

Name:	Achassis4570.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	71520
            All sealed in heavy coat of epoxy primer.

Name:	Achassis4571.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	71521
            The time to seal and paint this area is now because once the skin is on there'll be no way to get any real paint coverage on it.

Name:	Achassis4572.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	71522
            Had some extra primer which I did not want to waste so I cleaned the forward section up for a fresh coat.

Name:	Achassis4573.JPG
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	71523
            Primered an officially done with welding on those specific areas.

Name:	Achassis4575.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	71524
            Underside of cowl primered now as well. Again this is the cavity that remains open and exposed so a good thorough coat of sealer is a must. I'll shoot a coat of black on tomorrow and will begin welding this panel on next. Thanks for stopping by!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• 1/8/16

Name:	Achassis4576.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	71572
              Substructure in final coat of black today.

Name:	Achassis4578.JPG
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	71573

Name:	Achassis4580.JPG
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	71574
              Underside of cowl finished out too which leaves me free to button it up for good.

Name:	Achassis4581.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	71575
              Began building a stand from some scrap metal I had lying around to cradle the car at the rear torsion housing so I can continue fitting the rear skin. Should have it ready to go by tomorrow.
              Thanks for looking! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 1/9/16

Body on stand and testing out the new tail skin.

Name:	Achassis4588.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	71591
                Stand completed. A pair of caliper flanges I had machined years ago made for nice saddles for the torsion housing to rest in.

Name:	Achassis4589.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	71592
                Time to get it in position.

Name:	Achassis4590.JPG
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	71593
                In and it didn't collapse. Now the fun part... trying on that new tail skin.

Name:	Achassis4591.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	71594
                Very rough initial mock up of course but it was fun to see the body slowly forming.

Name:	Achassis4596.JPG
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	71595
                BTW: I count 10 separate pieces comprising this tail. I took a rough measurement and between it and the length seam across both rear fenders there is almost 30 feet of seam welding here!!

Name:	Achassis4597.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	71596
                A lot of bugs to work out, rear apron looks "stuffed" and too rolled under. Notice too the misalignment at the decklid opening. The tail skin's flange takes the more correct approach and the fender hangs too wide. (as I mentioned earlier against the closed lid) I may very well have to cut it. Have to get the decklid back on and keep playing with it.

Name:	Achassis4592.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	71597
                Anyway more fit and adjustment tomorrow.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin you must really trust your welds
                  It is missing its "CE" certification
                  It turned out good with your old scraps to hold up that jewel.
                  Atleast now you have a very good layout how you can attack and cut and weld the pieces together.
                  You are a really proficient "BODY" builder
                  JOP

Comment

• Yup. It looks like a Kardashian rear end!! Bummer

Nothing that a little cutting a welding won't fix

JP
                    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Justin,

You are a human dynamo!! My goodness the thought behind every movement and how each item has to correspond. As an engineer in my previous life I always worked from drawings. I could measure and check every part of the process. How different for you and even more difficult if any of that long run of welding didn't tie in with the last part to go on.

How sensible again to try the hood frame. I really like as everyone else here your sustained effort and its result. I would still be fiddling around with the headlining on the A coupe!!

Pleased Trevors panels are usable I won't forget that information.

Roy

Comment

• Its my ass under there Per so I'm very motivated to do a thorough job of welding that stand up. of course Steve's cage failure had me double checking it the following day.

Hey John, Actually I don't think that tail skin is going to require a whole lot at least that's what I'm thinking right now. It was tweaked in the earlier pic because its really hanging out in space for that shot but I'm finding the general contour and shape of this panel to be pretty damn good!!

Thanks a lot Roy! Its nice that you appreciate all the prep and planning that has to go into each stage. There is just no way around it and the refitting the top frame is par for the course. If you don't double check everything and cover all your bases it will surely punish you in the end and even after all that sometimes it will still screw with me. But given all the variables it makes sense; Building from thin air with no factory style holding/locating jigs while utilizing reproduction panels... Just begging for trouble and heartache. Thanks again! Justin

1/11/16
                        Fitting and locating tail skin first.

Since this is my very first rebody I initially thought that I'd mount the rear fenders then work my way back to the tail end but as today's session went on I found it a bit more natural to begin fitting and locating the tail against the decklid first. I feel like I'll have better locating feedback for the rear fenders with the tail most of the way set. Just theory so far.

Name:	Achassis4598.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	71655
                        First was sight marking it for the best continuation profile off the back edge of the lid. Also too was rigging up a makeshift stand tall enough to hold it in place for these trial fitments.

Name:	Achassis4599.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	71656
                        next was centering the opening with the lid.

Name:	Achassis4600.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	71657
                        Very promising as the skin nicely continues the lines off the lid even at this very rough initial stage.

Name:	Achassis4601.JPG
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	71658
                        Contour and center line mostly established

Name:	Achassis4603.JPG
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	71659
                        Next step to tighten things up more was to narrow this gap.

Name:	Achassis4605.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	71660
                        Excess metal on the flange would not allow it to slide up any closer.

Name:	Achassis4606.JPG
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	71661
                        Dismounted to trim a little off.. but not too much

Name:	Achassis4609.JPG
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	71662
                        Remounted with improvement.

Name:	Achassis4610.JPG
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	71663
                        The profile got smoother too.

Name:	Achassis4608.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	71664
                        Reminding me of an old "bathtub" more and more.
                        Tail fitment continued with further gap refining and elevation with deck lid next.
                        Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Glad to see that the new panels have an improved fit over your last vendor! I was so worried you'd have to cut into that new rear end to make it fit.

JP
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• WOW, it is looking so good
                            I really want to do one coupster as well.....I talked to Trevor a couple of years back to do what you are doing now Justin.
                            I post the photos.... I do not recall IF I posted them before.....
                            JOP

( I think Bruce mentioned one of the Vendors ads before... Just to show those who missed it )

Name:	image_2016-01-13.jpeg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	71740

Name:	image_2016-01-13-2.jpeg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	71741

Name:	aaaaaaaaaa_2016-01-13-3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	71742

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaa016-01-13-4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	71743
                            JOP

Comment

• No John, the difference has been night and day so far.

That is absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for posting up those shots Per, I had not seen them before. The final presentation of the finished metal is amazing and is something I'd wish to aspire to one day for sure.
                              Trevor's ribbed rear inner wheel houses show that correct "bulbous" shape that my buddies original car has. Its stunning!

Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Fantastic photo's of Trevor's panels. I also had never seen these before. Thanks for posting these.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X