Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Per,

It was supplied to me with a group of other parts by the owner of this car through Rusty Tubs. It's not really my deal directly so I'll just send that old piece with the car on the day it leaves.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis4346.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	69887
    I could not agree more John and yes it is just like the one Trevor displays in his catalog; A complete unit

Name:	Achassis4347.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	69888
    Correct smooth version T1 even with the 4-cam oil filter mount plate; a nice detail!

Name:	Achassis4348.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	69889

Name:	Achassis4349.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	69890

Name:	Achassis4345.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	69891
    Very securely packed and insulated for the trip across the country.

Name:	Achassis4350.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	69892
    This will save many hours of time which would have otherwise been required.

Name:	Achassis4353.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	69893
    Will it need trimming, nipping and tucking to work...

Name:	Achassis4354.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	69894
    Absolutely, I'm already in process of that

Name:	Achassis4355.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	69895
    But this was a much better place to start. Will share that next.
    Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• A MUCH nicer piece, Vegas Justin! The original piece didn't have the correct curve either. A complete panel was definitely needed.

JP
      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Justin, couldn't you fill those existing gaps from the original panel with a little weld?
        Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Yeah John, I think Trevor wanted to be sure he didn't send it off to that other Justin. This was definitely the way to go.

I could have bridged that with enough wire Jack.

Test fitting to a latched lid:

Name:	Achassis4359.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	69955
          One of my spare mechanisms bolted right on, a good sign.

Name:	Achassis4361.JPG
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	69956
          Lid latched in for the first time with really nice fit.

Name:	Achassis4362.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	69957
          Flange profile runs pretty consistent with the shape of the lid so definitely for open car 356.

Name:	Achassis4365.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	69958

Name:	Achassis4364.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	69959
          Very promising, time to try it for the first on the car.

Name:	Achassis4366.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	69960
          Initial relaxed fitment with lid hinge mounted and latched to the wall.

Name:	Achassis4368.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	69961
          At first glance it seems like its just going to fall into place perfectly.

Name:	Achassis4367.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	69962
          But as I begin trying to line the cross member flange up with this new wall the first issue cropped up. In this relaxed position the wall flange over shoots the cross member by a good 2 inches.

Name:	Achassis4373.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	69963
          With the wall flange lined up with the cross member flange like it needs to be...

Name:	Achassis4378.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	69964
          The lid and latch tang now overshoot the wall about the equal distance as the lower flange did before I adjusted it.

Name:	Achassis4375.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	69965
          To get them to come close to lining up again the sides have to take this steep almost coupe like profile. If I pushed the sides down where they need to be the opening closes up even worse. Though this is a really nice piece some Nipping and tucking required.

Name:	Achassis4374.JPG
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	69966
          Unlike the other wall Trevor gave more than enough length along the sides in fact they are quite long. I needed to trim them back out of my way so I could get a better handle on what exactly needs to be done but how much and at what angle for a Speedster? A trip over to see my reference car was next.
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/1/15

Rear wall fitment continued.
            Before I could go forward confidently I had to have another look at my reference speedster.

Name:	Achassis4380.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	70176
            Though badly rust in this area there was enough left to get measurements and other details confirmed

Name:	Achassis4385.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	70177
            Measuring from the firewall I was able to locate where the lap joint begins. It does not run vertical either so a measurement of top and bottom from the wall helped me determine the approach angle. It also told me that the rear wall lap joints to the inside of the forward closing wall and that the lap itself is about 2 inches in width.

Name:	Achassis4397.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	70178
            My trip over there also confirmed that the rear wall sits almost vertical so this swoopy relaxed profile I have now is not right.

Name:	Achassis4398.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	70179
            To bring the wall both in line with the cross member and at the proper approach angle required my first relief cuts. Its such nice piece that I hated the idea of cutting on it but cutting through Trevor's existing welds allowed the movement I needed to get a bit closer.

Name:	Achassis4401.JPG
Views:	67
ID:	70180
            With the wall flange now set screwed in my best adjusted position I went ahead and marked the cut lines from the firewall based on the one's I took from that original Speedster.

Name:	Achassis4403.JPG
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	70181
            Bulk head cut to final length. You can see that Trevor gave me more than enough extra. I'll more than likely use the flange sections on the forward walls as they were formed a bit shallow in that area.

Name:	Achassis4404.JPG
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	70182
            Cutting that excess off relieved a lot of the initial issues I was having with it.

Name:	Achassis4410.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	70183
            Its a start. Again I'd be hurting without that original car to copy from.

Name:	Achassis4414.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	70184
            More tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/12/15

Refitting forward engine compartment panels

Name:	Achassis4415.JPG
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	70667
              With the rear bulkhead now pretty much set in its final adjusted position it was to reinstall the previously established forward closing panels so I could begin fitting and joining them to the rear wall.

Name:	Achassis4416.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	70668
              As you can see there is quite the discrepancy at the upper mount flange. Par for the course and all part of fitting and focusing this "picture" one aspect at a time.

Name:	Achassis4418.JPG
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	70669
              Spent some time under here too planning and making sure I had my best adjusted fit with the flanges against the latched lid. It took me a while to get my head around all of this so I was at a comfortable enough point to commit to a final position.

Name:	Achassis4419.JPG
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	70670
              What paralyzed my progress for a spell was the variables surround the latched lid. The flanges now don't quite follow the contour of the lid as perfectly as they should. Also I don't know the exact distance away from the lids edge that the flanges need to be at to compensate for the step flange Trevor will have in his new panels. I need them here to determine that. So my best plan of attack here was to not worry too much about the flanges for now and to just set and weld up the rest of the closing panels then go back and add in the flanges to suit. I added the relief cut so I could draw the rest of panel in tight.

Name:	Achassis4421.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	70672
              Once I screwed it all down snug it immediately starting taking shape and eased a lot of anxiety.

Name:	Achassis4420.JPG
Views:	49
ID:	70671
              Again the flanges are a mess for now but the lower closing panels are getting established and set. The contour from the cowl onto the latched lid is still in the sweet spot meaning that the rear bulkhead is officially "there".

Name:	Achassis4424.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	70673
              Other issues of course. The rear wall came a bit too short on both sides so a flange sections will need to be grafted on.

Name:	Achassis4426.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	70674
              Left side set and prepping the right panel. Lid operation got smoother and cleaner as worked progressed.

Name:	Achassis4427.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	70675
              right side also relief cut and synched down into position.

Name:	Achassis4428.JPG
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	70676
              Both side walls were contouring out nice with the bulkhead once screwed down snug.

Name:	carrera2741.JPG
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	70680
              Can't believe this car has an engine compartment.

Name:	carrera2743.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	70681
              Overview

Name:	Achassis4431.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	70678
              Now that the closing panels are set the lid and cowl were removed so basic welding could start.

Name:	Achassis4429.JPG
ID:	70677
              Rear speedster substructer

Name:	Achassis4430.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	70679
              Begin welding it up next.
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/13/15

Begin welding substructure.

Name:	Achassis4433.JPG
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	70736
                Broke the back of it down one more to so I could begin welding from the center of the firewall area outward with less obstruction. (beginning at the hinge bosses)

Name:	Achassis4432.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	70737
                The panels also needed to come off so I could hole punch prep each part for plug-welding.

Name:	carrera2710.JPG
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	70738
                Firewall cap hole prepped and remounted for final welding. Attaching it to the tops of the hinge boss flanges here first. The hinges where fully bolted and snugged to double as holding jigs while the bosses where attached to the cap. Last thing I needed was hinge fitment problems after welding. More than likely would have happened otherwise.

Name:	carrera2711.JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	70739
                Once attached to the bosses I rolled the car over to begin welding up the lateral flange from the center outward. Again such a luxury to be able to this thing over as I was able to comfortably weld this run up from a seated position shielded from sparks and slag.

Name:	Achassis4438.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	70740
                Left forward section was next. Decision time and how to best clean up and terminate that excess on this upper corner. Its too high and deep to be seen on my original reference Speedster so I took my best guess.

Name:	Achassis4441.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	70741
                Trimmed it to overlap the corner then heeled it over and secured it with a series of plug-welds. This way the joint will be undetectable once the quarter panel goes on.

Name:	Achassis4439.JPG
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	70742
                Had to add two through bolts at the center junction there to firmly draw up 4 layers of sheet metal tightly.

Name:	Achassis4442.JPG
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	70743
                It was slowly happening.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/14/15

Finishing out left side

Name:	Achassis4448.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	70772
                  As the welding progressed the rear Bulkhead was added back in and the decklid was mount just to make sure it wasn't changing shape on me as I welded.

Name:	Achassis4449.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	70773
                  Right side forward section now in for good and ready to weld.

Name:	Achassis4463.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	70774
                  So far so good as everything seemed in the same position as before.

Name:	Achassis4458.JPG
Views:	40
ID:	70775
                  Took a small break from plug-welding to add a flange section here.

Name:	Achassis4460.JPG
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	70776
                  paper template to copy that swoopy cut profile and to get the bend in the right spot.

Name:	Achassis4461.JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	70777
                  Final steel part in position and ready to weld.

Name:	Achassis4464.JPG
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	70778
                  Section welded just short of the corner as I'll have to do a little planning there as to how I'll finish it so it looks original. Plug welding also finished as far as I can go for now.

Name:	Achassis4467.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	70779
                  Left the upper flap of that joint loose for now until I get the flange mount settled.

Name:	Achassis4469.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	70780
                  All welds finished smooth.

Name:	Achassis4470.JPG
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	70781
                  All these small, rough, potato chip shaped panels are finally amounting to something useful. I had my doubts in the beginning.

Name:	Achassis4472.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	70782
                  Decided to finish off most of this run in spot weld detail just to get some of it in the absolute "done" column.

Name:	Achassis4475.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	70783
                  Ran a small seam weld across the lower flange lip above the shock mount as originally done.

Name:	Achassis4476.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	70784

Name:	Achassis4474.JPG
Views:	35
ID:	70785
                  Finishing out the right side to match coming up next.
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Looking great, Justin. Did you use the trusty Lenco to put those spot welds in? They look nice and round with no burn through. What settings did you use?

JP
                    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Justin,

Great work, great presentation of it as well. I can see even with the skill you now have, the requirement of an original to measure is essential. I can see as well the absolute need to be 3 steps ahead of yourself before welding any part.

These points and methods you adopt must surely be so important to Trevor as he needs photos and methods to attach to any orders he receives from future customers who are not skilled metal workers.
                      I think it might be beyond the skill though of many normal DIY guys.

I seem to get the notion Trevor is a guy who takes all that on board unlike the the person who supplied those other parts for your 356A.

This work is really not easy, just how long to even document the progress must hours of your time.

When I next peer up the rear section of my car I will take into account the design time Porsche took as well as the tooling design and cost.

Well done!

Roy

Comment

• Thanks John, yes, of course, it was the old Lenco to the rescue.

Name:	carrera2883.JPG
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	71022
                        I've got it set at almost the max duration to give it enough of chance to "crater" each spot enough to my liking. Every so often I'll get a blow out spot where there was a slight gap between the two panels. Its frustrating PIA, the remains stick the electrode and have to be ground off and the resulting blowout hole in the top panel has to be plug welded. fortunately that doesn't happen too often.

"These points and methods you adopt must surely be so important to Trevor as he needs photos and methods to attach to any orders he receives from future customers who are not skilled metal workers.
                        I think it might be beyond the skill though of many normal DIY guys."

Thank you very much Roy and thanks also for the appreciation of what actually goes into all of this. I would have to guess in all reality that it doesn't much matter to these vendors who produce these parts. They simply offer you their interpretation of a given component or panel and then it is entirely your responsibility to you make it work, fit or look right. Weather its fabricated correctly or not any complaints will most likely fall on deaf ears and will be written off as being from just another hack who has no idea about what they are doing or have gotten themselves into. I actually resemble that description so I took no offense. Not saying this is always the case but just my personal experience so far.
                        Thanks again you guys, always appreciated!!
                        Justin

12/24/15
                        Just quick update. Not much progress this past week between the holidays and fighting a bad cold. Back on it in earnest next week.

Name:	Achassis4481.JPG
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	71023
                        New flange extension for the right side.

Name:	Achassis4482.JPG
Views:	42
ID:	71024
                        Prepped and ready to weld

Name:	Achassis4483.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	71025
                        Stitching it in.
                        Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to all!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by roy mawbey" post=31542
                          Justin,

Great work, great presentation of it as well. I can see even with the skill you now have, the requirement of an original to measure is essential. I can see as well the absolute need to be 3 steps ahead of yourself before welding any part.

Amen! x2! me too! etc, etc.

These points and methods you adopt must surely be so important to Trevor as he needs photos and methods to attach to any orders he receives from future customers who are not skilled metal workers.
                          I think it might be beyond the skill though of many normal DIY guys.

It is beyond the skill or caring of most "Professional" bodymen these days! Few are qualified or interested in being taught such skills. Justin is unique in that he both teaches and learns from his site.

I seem to get the notion Trevor is a guy who takes all that on board unlike the the person who supplied those other parts for your 356A.

Trevor Marshall is a great resource for those keyed into the 356. There are others who are not production oriented who have tried Trevor's panels and put them aside to make their own as needed. A true "panelbeater" is a rare person to be found now.

This work is really not easy, just how long to even document the progress must hours of your time.

Ask Phil......
                          My theory is that documenting hours spent on a project is like scratching the days on the wall as they go by while you are in a dungeon. The sooner a task is done correctly, the sooner your release. There is no comfy padded room until you finish even if you want to beat your head against a wall. I should know..... after 50 years.

When I next peer up the rear section of my car I will take into account the design time Porsche took as well as the tooling design and cost.

Well done!
                          Roy
                          Roy, you are a sage. Thanks for your observations.
                          -Bruce

Comment

• Looks fantastic, as usual Justin. An amazing project!
                            DG

Comment

• Interesting and appreciated comments Roy and Bruce. Being that "other" Trevor that has to make some of his own panels I now find it comical when I go to rust repair a section on a car and tell Jack, "oh good they make that piece stamped", only so he can give me that "you're joking right Trevor" look and tell me we're not buying it, it won't fit right, you're going to make it

Name:	image_2015-12-28.jpeg
ID:	71112

Name:	image_2015-12-28-2.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	71113

Name:	image_2015-12-28-3.jpeg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	71114

Name:	image_2015-12-28-4.jpeg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	71115
                              trevorcgates@gmail.com
                              Engine # P66909... are you out there
                              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Are there now interchangeable Trevors? Whoever did that piece, whether Gates or Marshall, it looks good and if it looks good, the only thing that can make a difference is who has the pride of craftsmanship in that one part. Whether sheet metal parts are won or bought or made, the more you make or more of those others you make better, the higher the pride factor can be when the car is finished. Pay attention to Jack's "looks." He knows his .......356 stuff and clientele.

BTW, I have not had the ability to do the strut repair that way, those I have done were complete replacements, inside and out.

-Bruce Baker.....(not to be confused with Bruce Schwartz, who now owns the company the other Trevor used to work for when owned by Chuck)

Comment

Working...
                                X