No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin, Thanks for posting shots of your equipment and a cursory primer on wire, settings, and techniques. True, experience is always the best teacher. For years I worked as an industrial/commercial electrician and was the guy who ended up doing all the fabrication work and thin metal was always the hardest. I used a Miller but much smaller than yours. My favorite machine was the plasma cutter. The company is mostly shut down but I still have access to all the equipment. Now all I need is a rusty old car to work on. Thanks again, Erik

Comment

• Thanks Justin and you Erik for asking the question on equipement. You can spend a lot of money sometimes and realise afterwards its much better to ask questions beforehand.

Interesting thread!
      Roy

Comment

• My pleasure Erik. It sounds like you may have been using a Miller Side-kick MiG. That's what my dad had and it was a great little machine which is why I probably went with Miller this time around. It sounds like you have access to a lot of really great stuff; better take advantage while you can. A rusty 356 shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thank you Roy! Another side note on that compressor purchase; I had my choice of single or a three phase electric motor. I chose to stay with single phase even though my shop is in an industrial park with 3 phase power. A 3 phase motor draws less amps so is a little cheaper to operate. My reason was versatility, residential power is all single phase and if I ever move out I can plug this unit in at home and keep going. This single phase motor obviously operates just fine on 3 phase power but a 3 phase motor will not run on single phase power, again more versatility. Also If I ever sell it my potential buyer pool is larger with a single phase motor. Thanks again! Justin

7/29/13
        New heater tube fitment and install continued.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis519.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	23808
        Final section length with embossed shoulder for the tube now welded in. I was stumped for bit on how it to replicate that oval embossed shoulder section.

Name:	Achassis520.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	23809
        After some digging around the shop it came to me that a steel wheel outer lip would make for a nice hammer form to create that profile I needed. After several series of heat and hammer I had it.

Name:	Achassis521.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	23810
        Back to repeat test fitments and fine trimming.

Name:	Achassis523.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	23811
        Just now realizing what a PIA all these angled tube ends are becoming. A lot fine tweaking yet to do.

Name:	Achassis524.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	23812
        Same goes for the rear. They all have to seat right at once and the bulk heads have to sit flush against the longitudinal walls too. A lot all going on at once. Its getting close though. I'm hoping to have it at least tacked in by tomorrow. At least that shoulder turned out right. I was dreading that piece. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Good thinking Justin using the wheel And good thinking too about single phase the chances to sell an item later if you need to, are so much greater than if its 3 phase.

Good luck with the finishing touches on this heater tube assembly.

Roy

Comment

• Hi Roy, It was just a product of necessity; all I have are basic hand tools and misc. junk lying around. The rim was the closest hammer form I had. I wish I had 100K worth of fabrication tools but unfortunately I don't at the moment. But I always manage to have just enough to get me over the hump. Justin

8/1/13
            New heater tube now mounted for good.

Name:	Achassis527.JPG
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	23940
            It was almost ready but I had to make this repair extension out of some flat stock first.

Name:	Achassis528.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	23941
            Section now welded on and unit in for another test fit. Just need to trim the excess tube off here. Cutting that angled approach hole was a total PIA!

Name:	Achassis535.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	23942
            One last thing before final install was to clean the rest of the outer mount flange off and grind away any excess rust/scale that was missed.

Name:	Achassis530.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	23943
            Tube now clamped into final position and ready for the first series of tack welds.

Name:	Achassis537.JPG
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	23944
            Bulkheads tacked in completely and started welding the rear of the tube on.

Name:	Achassis536.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	23945
            So good to see this area closing up. Will continue on tomorrow welding up the top portion. Thanks for reading this! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/2/13 Bulk-head repairs:
              Tying up more loose ends.

Name:	Achassis538.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	24072
              A rarity, but the original bulk heads are in very solid condition. Only the two outer units needed a small replacement along the lower flange. Rear flange has been replaced here.

Name:	Achassis540.JPG
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24073
              I have opened up several sets of original longitudinals and each time I found this rear pair bent outward away from one another. I add this small lower plate to "box" these two together for more strength and support.

Name:	540770.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	24074
              Began adding it several years ago starting with this old Speedster. Not original but who will ever see it again?

Name:	Achassis541.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	24075
              Front flange was next.

Name:	Achassis543.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	24076
              Done. Welding up that exit tube to the new wall tomorrow.
              Thanks for looking! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/9/13

Now that the new tube is in I am back to those earlier front paper templates so I can start making the new repair panels.

Name:	Achassis578.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24400
                I am shooting for a one-piece repair panel so a lot of adding and trimming of the paper.

Name:	Achassis579.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	24401
                With most of the "landmarks" cut away getting this model in exactly the right spot was a little time consuming.

Name:	Achassis580.JPG
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	24402
                New longitudinal closing panel installed to ensure the height of the mating flanges were correct.

Name:	Achassis582.JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24403
                Everything is lining up pretty well.

Name:	Achassis585.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	24404
                One more angle on top.

Name:	Achassis583.JPG
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	24405
                Secondary closing wall template now mocked up.

Name:	Achassis584.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24406
                Slowly taking on finished form

Name:	Achassis586.JPG
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	24407
                Clamped a flat piece of metal to the existing original flange to represent the eventual vertical closing wall/ splash-pan to double check angles of the flanges for fitment. Everything seems to fit well. The less forgiving steel panel will be another story however.

Name:	Achassis587.JPG
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24408
                Template complete and traced in steel. New piece is trimmed out here and ready for the flanges. Working on that next.
                Thanks for reading this! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

I am beginning to think you could teach now Origami in Japan!

So important to get those pieces of card correct.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

• Originally posted by roy mawbey" post=10779
                    Justin,

I am beginning to think you could teach now Origami in Japan!

So important to get those pieces of card correct.

Cheers

Roy
                    Roy, I agree, metal working is a lot like Origami, but to me a l little more simple. At least with this stuff you can actually see what it is you are trying to construct. Great work as always Justin.
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thank you very much guys! The paper templates are everything, if they are wrong you can forget about the part ever fitting. Speaking of parts, check this true artwork out!

Name:	sh12.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	24501
                      Absolutely Beautiful!! One day we'll see all these panels being fitted to this chassis...one day
                      Steve mentioned this order was now on its way to Europe. Obviously someone else is building a "coupster"..
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Steve does wonderful work. I am happy to see everything is done so that he can now finish my engine sheet metal modifications

Comment

• Yes, Steve produces art I just want to look at. Wow, I bet that customer will be pleased.

Great photo.

Roy

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR70" post=10804
                            Thank you very much guys! The paper templates are everything, if they are wrong you can forget about the part ever fitting. Speaking of parts, check this
                            Absolutely Beautiful!! One day we'll see all these panels being fitted to this chassis...one day
                            Steve mentioned this order was now on its way to Europe. Obviously someone else is building a "coupster"..
                            That is quite some metal origami! Are you having Steve make up panels like these for your project? I had no idea there were that many different/specific panels for a Speedster. Or is it that maybe the car those are going is in very bad shape? Thanks, Mark
                            Mark Erbesfield
                            57 356A
                            65 911
                            68 912
                            73 911S
                            66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Interesting Joris, any shots of the pieces he's doing for you?

I think he'll definitely be pleased Roy; I got excited just looking at that photo...

Hey Mark, Yes, will be ordering everything pictured here. Yes, all those substructures like the fire wall are all speedster specific. The kit he has pictured is most definitely for a coupe to speedster conversion. Maybe their bringing back a dead chassis number on a coupe donor but a conversion for sure!
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Not yet hopefully soon. he is only making 1-2 pieces. I fit all the engine sheet metal to the best of my ability. The lower boxes required a piece to be spliced in to make them fit well. Steve is taking care of this as well as some message work to make sure that all pieces fit perfect. They are 90% there right now. Sadly I do not have the ability to make them 100%

Joris

Name:	IMG_0922_M.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	24560

Comment

Working...
                                X