58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Skool Hot Rodding! Very cool.
    What tire size did you choose? Maybe I just need to be patient....
    Thanks, John

Comment

• Thanks John, it turned the trick. As for tire choice I'm thinking at least a 60 or 65 series with as much width as I can get without too much sidewall overhang or bulge.

7/19/18

"NEW" 16X6 inch rear wheels arrive.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	102567
      Wasn't easy nor was it cheap but I finally took delivery of the pair for the rear.

Name:	IMG_0211.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	102568
      Wasn't sure about the deeper dish at first but all that extra width had to go somewhere. Centers aren't black but just treated and clear coated steel. I think I might prefer a mat finish but good for now.

Name:	IMG_0213.JPG
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	102569
      20 rivets holding them in with pressured fit. The backs where painted black with what appears to be rustoluim. I'll fix that later.

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	102570
      I really fell in love with these after a mock up with the car. That next...
      My avatar photo gives you a hint.
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Ok, Mr. Hot Shot.....now ya need to recalibrate the speedo unless you can find a 16" tire with a "stock" circumference, huh......

Seriously, a great result for what was a long-time dream. Good on ya!

Bruce

Comment

• HA! I lost the speedo when moved to the racing combo spindles Bruce. Have to rely on GPS for the speed or just do it old school and use the tach. Thanks so much for saying so!
          Justin.

7/21/18

New rear wheel mock up.

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	102612
          Again wasn't sure I'd like the dish but I was just fine once I stepped back.

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	102613

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	102614

Name:	IMG_0220s.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	102615
          Clearance remains consistent with my earlier planning.

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	102616
          Plenty of clearance with the spring plate.

Name:	IMG_0233.JPG
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	102617
          A lot variables remain with final tire clearance and the amount of negative camber but

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	102618
          I have a lot of wiggle room with the spacers. I can have a custom set machined either thinner or thicker than what's here if I have any clearance issues inboard or outboard once I cross that bridge.

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	102619
          Its the basic look I'm after but next is to get a big meat sheohorned in there. Can't be a low profile tire as it must fill up the wheel house to balance out that bubbly roof line. If the tire is too small in there the roof takes over and just ruins the look for me. Then of course there is getting just the right stance and attitude. Greg Banfills car comes to mind but just a touch higher. Anyway several pieces of that puzzle yet to be determined but I got a little closer with these.

Thanks for stopping by!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Two words: BAD ASS!

Comment

• Absolutely love the wheels Justin! Stock but different!
              trevorcgates@gmail.com
              Engine # P66909... are you out there
              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Thanks a lot you guys!

Since the site update took so long this post is several months behind. As slow as I am I still managed to make some progress while we were down.
                Prepping the front pair of centers last June:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7698.JPG Views:	1 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	103919
                All the rivets punched out of my last pair of donors and now ready to separate them from their hoops.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7699.JPG Views:	1 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	103920
                Again these are a press fit so it took a few square drops to my shop floor to work them out. Media blasting was next.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7704.JPG Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	103921
                After media blast one of the centers had some pitting. I want them left unpainted so I had to weld up the pits then grind and file back the bead to shape. In process here. I had a ton of time invested fixing these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0479.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.7 KB ID:	103922
                All welding and cosmetic prep now finally finished. Off to media blast for one last time.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0496.JPG Views:	1 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	103923
                Back from media and ready for some black oxide.
                Last edited by JTR70; 12-30-2018, 06:10 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	103925
                  Treated with oxide Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	103926
                  and a thin coat of clear. All ready to send out for their new alloy hoops. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	103927
                  Quick mock up with my rear pair to show what the front offset will be approximately.

Name:	IMG_0502.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	103928

The wheel shop coats the centers in high gloss; I think I prefer the matt finish but will go with it for now. These would take a couple of months to return. Will post the finished products next.
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Lovely, especially because the thought is so original. Red scotchbrite pad to gently knock back the gloss?
                    Continued thanks for the site Justin, appreciated by this non-356-owning enthusiast. Would you accept any small donations so that you're not shouldering all the cost?
                    Happy New Year to all, John

Comment

• Hi John, Happy New year to you! Thank you for the kind offer! If you'd like to help it would be of course greatly appreciated but its entirely up to you. No worries either way, just glad to have you aboard here.
                      Glad you like the wheels too! Like everything else with this build I went the long way but I ended up with a set of Bi-metal wheels in the size and offset I wanted. Thanks again! Justin

Four months later in November I had my complete set of wheels for this project.

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	103940
                      The fronts are an inch narrower at 16X5

Name:	IMG_1361.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	103941
                      With most of the offset to the inside.

Name:	IMG_1362.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	103942
                      The car is packed in tight so an overall distance shot was tough

Name:	IMG_1365.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	103944
                      Needs tires and the right stance to complete the picture

Name:	IMG_1364.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	103943
                      But the basic look I'm after is taking shape. Just glad to have the wheels now checked off in the done column.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• That wide stance is looking great!
                        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks John!

During the site update I had also decided to redo the headliner last October. A few years back my buddy Michael Doyle had told me he was in process of developing an authentic headliner in both pattern and color for 356A coupe. I of course got impatient and purchased Auto's international's offering a couple of years ago and installed it. It was incorrect in both pattern and color but it was now in the done column.
                          Well just before last October Michael contacted and told me he had finally finished a few of his new headliners. He sent me a few samples for comparison.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60025.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	104425

Here is the Hole perforation detail we've discussed before. To be "correct" you want the diamond perforation pattern, Michael's offering is on top and as you can see by the green outline the hole offset is in a diamond pattern anyway you slice it. My Autos international liner is oriented in a diamond configuration but a box shape can be outlined.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60026.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	104426
                          Micheal's samples: #1 is his authentic offering in off-white. #2 is my Auto's liner with incorrect perforations and I even got the color wrong; way too white. #3 is an original section and #4 is his new offering in Ivory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60027.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	104427
                          Once I had them in front of me I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied with what I had put in there. His offering is a lot more money but A headliner is really only something that will have to be done once so now was the time to correct it so I could finally move onto the next stage of installing the glass. It was tough but I begin tearing out my Autos liner in prep for the new one.

Justin
                          Last edited by JTR70; 01-27-2019, 07:03 AM.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• New liner arrived and began prepping for installation.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60028.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	104430
                            Bows installed in the liner and placed in the same order they came out as the end bows are a touch longer than the two center ones.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60029.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	104431
                            I was not comfortable the end of the bow loops. That slit is a definite stress riser and while not an issue now that the material is new, with time, age and tension I could picture it continuing to cut along the dotted line.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60030.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	104432
                            So before I could get it into the car I took it home and darned all eight of the ends. Now I could relax and install with confidence.

Name:	image_60031.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	104433
                            Top bows plugged back in the following day and ready to begin the challenge of chasing out wrinkles.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Last edited by JTR70; 01-27-2019, 09:00 PM.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

The new headliner looks perfect to me and the colour too. Just like my original one. I think you made the correct decision to change to to the correct version and colour.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy! I really dreaded the idea of going through another installation but it gave me a chance to correct a few of my earlier installment mistakes as well a much improved final presentation. Besides I like redoing things twice, three times on this car; why stop now?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60097.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	104550
                                Agree Roy, I was really loving the color over that bright white I had dyed my first attempt. This has a really warm grey hue to it.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60098.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	104551
                                Really feel I'm over the hump once these lower sail panels are finished.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60099.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	104552
                                Came up with a cleaner and more controllable way to terminate down in that lower corner as the material hangs in space for a second as it transfers from sail panel to firewall.
                                Last edited by JTR70; 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X