No announcement yet.

58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Per! Yes, they do make some nice stuff. An old 356 wouldn't pass DOT here either but you'd be amazed what they allow to run up and down the highway here in the States if its old enough.

2/24/18
    Time to see if it fits...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2072re.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	105341
    I of course hit a small snag.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2071re.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	105342
    Right before I could get the relief notch for the bolt to line up with the clamp the end of the shank bottomed out against the puck.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073re.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	105343
    Easiest thing to do would be to grind off a few Mm's off the end of the shaft but I hate the idea of modifying original parts to work with aftermarket stuff so I disassembled it and ran it over to my machinist to put a hole in the center. OG part saved and the puck is a little lighter. Win/Win.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2019, 07:16 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2102re.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	105337
      Back from the machine shop
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2101re.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	105338
      Clearance problem solved...

Name:	IMG_2103re.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	105339
      Fully assembled with steering shaft...at last.

Name:	IMG_2104re.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	105340

I'll hammer the locks over once I'm 100% sure it won't have to be adjusted or taken apart for whatever reason again.
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2019, 07:10 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• JOP

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Per, No I figured guys like me would find their own way around the problem.

• Justin, I replaced my original coupler with the fabric type material some years ago for the later rubber one. The 50 year old one had not failed but it sort of worried me when I looked at it. Still have the old one in a box to remind me. Your new looks very professional .

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Roy! The one I just took out of it was fine as well but this was just added insurance so I thought what the hell.

• Back to door thresholds

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60265.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	104900
        Since I'm going with the GT interior theme these stock runner extrusion go back into the box. Man, I've had these new since 1988!!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60266.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	104901
        I don't want to glue that GT pebble finish vinyl directly onto my rockers so I decided on a removable base plate of aluminum sheet. Paper template for it in process.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60267.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	104902
        Gives me the chance to shape the ends correctly to the car

Name:	image_60268.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	104903
        Front and back. ..
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 02-27-2019, 08:10 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Now you have surprised me Justin. I had no idea the door thresholds were steel and not rubber on the GT versions. In all these these years of looking at so many photos of so many 356 cars I never knew that. They say you can keep on learning something new well I have today. This steel is covered in vinyl if I get you correctly?

Were they steel when your dad got the car from the breaker yard?

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Roy, Sorry for the confusion. The original rubber runner goes directly onto the rocker on all 356. There is no sub-panel in there. I'm making this one custom for that GT vinyl to go onto. I don't think the original GT's had such a panel, this is just my own hair-brained idea. I'll post the finished product here shortly. Justin

• Justin
          Hope you shared the shank issue with Ron LaDow

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do Phil.

• Thanks Justin, I will be interested in seeing your final threshold pics when you are ready. Pleased in a way its your idea as I thought I was loosing my marbles!
          Roy

Comment

• Hey Roy, continuing on with this threshold project....
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0985.JPG Views:	1 Size:	547.0 KB ID:	105082
            New alloy base trimmed exactly to the paper template making sure I got all the irregular closing angles dialed in.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0986.JPG Views:	1 Size:	493.0 KB ID:	105083
            Mocking up threshold seal with holding channel.

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	105084
            Using a section of seal to dial in the right spacing for this strip. This channel is supposed to screw directly into the threshold itself but I just don't want to drill the holes.

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	105085
            So for now my plan is to mount it directly onto my new base plate and have the whole thing removable as a unit. Wrapping this new base in the GT alligator skin next.
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 05-24-2019, 06:51 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1029.JPG Views:	1 Size:	597.3 KB ID:	105087
              Holes punched for the seal strip. Had just glued the face of the panel on and getting ready to fold the edges over.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1031.JPG Views:	1 Size:	554.7 KB ID:	105088
              Fully wrapped and first install.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1033.JPG Views:	1 Size:	684.0 KB ID:	105089
              Alloy and wrapped edges are close enough in thickness to the OG rubber allowing the original edge strip to firmly hold it in place.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1032.JPG Views:	1 Size:	573.8 KB ID:	105090
              Fitment in and around all the edges turned out like I had hoped.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1035.JPG Views:	1 Size:	647.1 KB ID:	105091
              Once the threshold seal and carpet tack strip are in this new panel will be firmly secured into position.

Last edited by JTR70; 05-25-2019, 07:18 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	105093
                A quick mock up with a section of tan carpet to give a Glimpse of what the final presentation will be like.

Name:	IMG_1041.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	105094
                As I was making this panel I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or if it was going to turn out right but by the time I shot this photo I was glad that I did.

Name:	IMG_1042.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	105095
                Motivated to make one for the left side. Template just flipped over and reshaping the corners and edges as needed.
                Thanks for looking!

Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Left side

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	105104
                  Completes my little threshold side project

Name:	IMG_1261.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	105105

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	105106
                  Onto the next deal...
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• New Alloy GT decklid from Trevor's Hammer works.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2280.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	105247
                    Finally took delivery of my new GT lid from Trevor Marshall last March. Complete alloy construction and a work of art!
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2281.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.2 KB ID:	105248
                    I was under no illusions about what the initial fitment would be like. Actually fits just as well as some factory lids that where not OG to this car.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2282.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.9 KB ID:	105249
                    I will be adding and subtracting all along the edges of this lid to get uniform gap with this car. The trick will be doing it all the while taking care not to screw up the paint job. Lots of masking tape and paper for protection.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2285.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	105250
                    Came complete with the carb ducting.

Last edited by JTR70; 05-27-2019, 08:02 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2286.JPG Views:	0 Size:	190.0 KB ID:	105252
                      You can just tell a lot of hours went into building this thing. Which is probably why it wasn't cheap, but, I HAD TO HAVE IT! Hopefully I can the carbs to line up in there on my polo motor but if all else fails I run without them.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2287.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.6 KB ID:	105253
                      Interesting relief detail for the oil filler neck.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2283.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.9 KB ID:	105254
                      Will hinge and latch it in its best adjusted position first to get a baseline fit then begin the needed changes from there. ...all without chipping the paint.
                      This lid BTW will stay raw and in a matt finish to highlight the fact that it is alloy. More later.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 05-27-2019, 08:07 PM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, That lid looks fabulous. I can understand exactly why you want it to stay Raw Ali but and I have never doubted your inspiration before on anything regarding this Carrera but purely by just looking for some time at that photo from a personal point of view I would paint it. It stands alone on the back it does not flow to an end factor. It might for me always look unfinished. The lid will always look special painted or not, the work involved determines that for sure. Of course its your car Justin !!! I only mention that because its so perfect it would have to stay that way for me if it were mine!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                          JTR70 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Roy, That was just my initial plan. If it looks weird or unfinished I can always paint it.
                      Working...
                      X