No announcement yet.

58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60100.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	104554
    Simple glue and fold versus relief cutting it as I had done on the last one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60101.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	104555
    Turned the trick as I ended up with taught and wrinkle free corners on both sides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	104556
    Onto the center section I referenced off of your car. Thanks again Roy!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 02-01-2019, 08:03 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60109.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	104576
      Onto rewrapping the A-pillars

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1246.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	104577
      Then onto the B-pillars and punching the holes for the jewelry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	104578
      Visors and mirror after that...

Last edited by JTR70; 02-03-2019, 05:32 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Looking very nice, Justin. Is the Corvette the next project?
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot John! One day soon hopefully. Its my American dream car that I've wanted since I was 10. I messed with it a little when I first bought it but I've since restricted myself from touching it until this car is finished otherwise nothing of mine will ever get completed if I don't stay focused.

• That headliner job has come out so well Justin! Helpful photos for anyone having to do that job!
        Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks again Roy! As much as I resisted doing it again I was so happy with the new result. I guess you never regret doing things right no matter how many attempts it takes.

• A few more of the completed liner install.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60140.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	104623
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60141.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	104624
        Wanted to make sure my roll-bar still cleared okay.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_60142.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	104625

Onto the next deal. Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 02-03-2019, 07:48 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Mocking up a few of the chrome goodies was addicting and I found myself digging in my boxes for more.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60143.jpg Views:	1 Size:	871.7 KB ID:	104629
          Dug out my loose hinges for the GT windows that are going in and punched the holes in the new B-pillar wrapping to mount them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60144.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	104630
          Went ahead and mocked up the handles with seals to give everything a chance to settle in together. I also never refitted them since their restoration from Victor. A mistake as they did fight a little bringing my stress level way up wrestling with these in new chrome and up against a final paint finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60145.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	104631
          The lock tumblers and plungers are original to this car but the old handles where too far corroded to save. This pair of handles was one the nicer pair of originals that I had accumulated through the years. Pitting and the typical pot metal corrosion was held to a minimum and one of their great preservatives was a good coat of overspray paint to the inside of these cavities. I decided to keep that going by adding a heavy coat of epoxy primer to these reliefs. Overkill and unnecessary I know but once mounted on the car its nearly impossible to see and it helps me sleep better at night.
          Last edited by JTR70; 02-04-2019, 07:26 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• What a good place to engrave your initials Justin !! Always good to have a spot like that to convince others its your car!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Roy, Actually it was Victor Miles who engraved that. Every part I've sent him has "JR" engraved on the back. Good way to ensure my parts don't get mixed in with someone else's once they come back from plate.

• From 10/18

Ran across the Marker lights and mocked them up as well.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60152.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	104648

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60153.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	104649
            Not mounted for good but it was a fun distraction and gave me the chance to round up all those tiny screws that hold them on.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60154.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	104650
            From there I moved onto mocking up the original threshold strips.
            Last edited by JTR70; 02-05-2019, 07:19 AM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60155.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	104652

If I was using new I would have obsessed over a nicely finished end but as you can see here the factory didn't make a big fuss and just snipped in the needed clearance.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60156.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	104653
              Will need some love but definitely savable; most importantly (to me) more authentic components being reused.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60157.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	104654
              Right side mocked up next with a few adjustments needed. Traces of overspray from that old British Racing green paint job from the '60's remain...

Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 02-05-2019, 07:33 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Headliner looks fantastic Justin! What glue did you use? If I remember correctly a friend of yours gave you some proper headliner glue for the 1st install?
                Thanks!
                DC

Comment

• Justin, is the new headliner correct only for 356 A's or for the B/C's also?
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks a lot Don! My buddy did give me another small jar of glue from his 5 Gallon can to install this one as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60184.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	104714
                    Here is the brand we use. This by far is the best gorilla snot you can buy as it simply won't give up if applied properly. Not cheap but well worth the money. You can buy it by the quart too.

Hey John, The material is correct for an A car as all the original B&C liners I've seen had a much heavier grain pattern to them.

Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 02-12-2019, 07:58 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Thanks Justin!

Comment

• JTR70
                        JTR70 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Anytime Don.

• Installing the fail safe steering coupler from Precision Matters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60240.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	104847
                      I had already installed my OG coupler some time ago and while I had no issues or worries about its integrity
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60171.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	104848

I really liked the idea of an encapsulated fail safe housing so I went ahead and purchased the kit offered by P.M.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60241.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	104849
                      Fortunately I had a few spare couplers so I didn't have to break down my OG coupler to build this new one. The old coupler will go into my "stock" storage box next to the old OG VW Type 1 steering box originally fitted to this car. New coupler fully assembled and ready to install.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Last edited by JTR70; 02-22-2019, 06:54 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Looks just lovely Justin,
                        Precision Matters has always had good enginering and products as loong as I can remember.
                        Our 356 would not pass todays NCAP test anyway
                        Thanks 4 sharing
                        JOP

Comment

Working...
                        X