No announcement yet.

58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All four of my custom mounting points are finished and back from the machine shop. I have several removable inter-locking bar clamps to buy but thats about it as far as hardware. Just about ready to have my buddy start fabricating the hoop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	547472.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	6664
    holes were drilled for lightness and a finished look. Relief section was milled into the bottom for a snug fit to the chassis. Large holes which are angled and indexed for the bar inserts were the toughest to get right.

Name:	547482.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6665
    These holes had to be milled on a compound angle and with right and left orientation to sit correctly once mounted in the car.

Name:	547477.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	6666
    Once the plates are seated, you can see that it is a very specific compound angle the tube be at to work.

Name:	547481.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	6667
    With the base plate mocked-up in the car I cut an angle in the tube end allowing it to completely seat on the plate surface but straight-up with a slightly rearward angle. (like the factory bar) This masking tape with right and left locating lines gave my machinist the angle that i needed the mounting hole drilled at. He recreated it beautifully and without the car for referrence.

Name:	547478.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	6668
    the tube stub-end will be welded on the underside. This was certainly much more work then just welding it right onto the top of the plate but its much stronger and lighter this way. This is the detail stuff I go crazy on.

Name:	547489.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	6669
    The rear mount perches are now complete. All four of my custom mounts from paper to reality.

Name:	547490.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6670
    These rear units had a bit of weight to them being solid stock so I took them back to Bill (my machinist) and had him put these revolver style holes in for me. Again lighter and a better finished look.

Name:	547493.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6671
    Nice secure shouldered and bolted perch for my 1 1/2 inch down tubes.

Name:	547487.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6672
    Quick mock-up. Bar sits just like I wanted it to with a nice secure fit.

Name:	547491.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	6673
    A solid step forward...

Name:	547500.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6674
    Before cutting this tube section up I used it to simulate the hoops basic lay with it resting neutrally in the mount holes. The holes were bored in beautifully. I used the rib on the inner quarter panel as my sight marker before and now; it still lined up!

Name:	547498.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	6675
    This bar is a close representation but the actual hoop will have that kick at the bottom which will lay this upright more inward. The factory bar has these giving it more of an overall triangle shape. I love the look of the factory hoop so we'll go ahead and replicate it even though that slight kick at the bottom weakens it.

Name:	547497.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	6676
    Happy with the basic rearward angle. Looks about the same profile as other installed bars I have seen, There is plenty of adjustment and wiggle room before its all set but it looks very close here.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Stub-end installation.

Name:	547496.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6678
      Lots of teadious shaping of the tube end to get a nice shouldered edge of the plate exposed to weld to. had a ways to go here to get that edge exposed all the way around.

Name:	547504.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	6679
      Stub-end leads shaped and only tacked into position here. Have to wait until its all built before I can commit to welding them up.

Name:	547501.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6680
      very happy so far. They both mirror one another pretty well

Name:	547502.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6681
      left more then enough lead tube. The final cut will be at or below the tape but I'll have to wait for the clamps.

Name:	547506.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	6682
      Getting there, tube ends orient at the correct positions.

Name:	547507.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	6683
      Another inch closer. Tube clamp ends are next.

Name:	547531.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	6684
      Here are those trick interlocking connectors I wanted to use over the traditional stub-ends. Much stronger and much cleaner over the original way. With these connectors on hand I was able to determine the final length of the stub-end. Right side tube lead trimmed to final length. left side next.

Name:	547532.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6685
      Final front stub end configuration. Taking shape.

Name:	547528.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	6687
      Stub-end connector with roll-bar side flange removed.

Name:	547529.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6686
      My first thought was to have the open mounting face oriented forward. This was for a straight-on install for the hoop. but, after looking at it all the potential force (shoulder-harness etc) would be going forward which would rely totally on the bolts to hold it in place. With it now turned 180 degrees the high side now traps the roll-bar mount end making for a much stronger configuration. Just have to pick the hoop over the stub-ends for install;not that much harder.

Name:	547534.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	6688
      Finally have my roll-bar mounts ready. Time to send these down to Warren to get the hoop fabricated. I was anxious!

Name:	547536.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6689
      Decided it was time to fully weld-up the stub-ends to the base plates. With these set we'll build the hoop accordingly.

Name:	547535.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	6690
      Ready to go; I have all my mounting hardware now just need a hoop. I Did not get off cheap here, between the clamps and the machine shop service I'm already into it 488.97 as pictured. Still have to buy the tubing and pay Warren for his time. However, I'm building it like I wanted. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	deans58017.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	6692
        Made the 2 hours trip to my buddy Warrens shop and dropped off the front stub end mounts and my drawing of what I wanted. Fortunately he is in the middle of helping me with a full-on front and rear 993 suspension upgrade on a '58 coupe so he has a car to build the hoop off of. This car was the perfect stand in to get the dimensions and shape right for the hoop. My front stub-end mounts are pictured here tacked into position. Next step is to bend up the tubing.

Several weeks later I made the 2 hour trip out to my buddy Warrens again on a Sunday. He set the day aside for me and we were able to finally knock-out the hoop for my roll-bar project.Its home with me now and am very excited about completing it. A special thanks to my man Marc Allingham for providing us with detailed shots of his roll-bar making life so much easier! We really have a great community here; thanks again Marc.

Name:	361.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6693
        changed the shape of the hoop just a bit. I had the uprights lien inward a little more to keep the "square" look out of it.

Name:	362.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	6694
        Stepped up to 4130 chromoly instead of mild steel. Sure took some doing but I finally have all the parts to build this roll-bar.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	367.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6696
          Tacked the baseplates/stub-ends in place then slipped the hoop on. Mounted a seat as well to double check the clearance. I could not wait to see this thing in!

Name:	370.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	6697
          Started fitting a down-bar.

Name:	379.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	6698
          Both sides mocked up and surprisingly symmetrical on the first try.

Name:	373.JPG
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	6699
          Basic fit and I am really happy with it! Same general design as the original but with our own little tweek to the hoop profile and mounts.

Name:	378.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	6700
          Looks symmetrical from both angles.

Name:	385.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	6701
          Sits pretty square and even in the car; only some mild adjustments as it goes. Relieved it wasn't an uneven mess in there.

Name:	383.JPG
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6702
          Initial excitement and play time is over. Onto trimming and fitment now. Thanks for looking! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• That roll bar fits in so well!!

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy, glad you like it!
              double checking for proper head clearance.

Name:	374.JPG
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	6731
              Clear profile view to show how much it leans back for head clearance. All the bars are just laying in there now. Once tacked its actually going to lay back a few more degrees still buying me a little more room.

Name:	372.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	6732
              Bends at the bottom were set to both angle in and back. A cross brace will be added to support this bend later.

Spent quite some time shaping the hoop and upper down tube joints. These will be the trickiest of all the intersections to get a good tight contoured fit. Once out of the way it shoud be downhill from here.

Name:	carrera20002.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6738
              Pretty much the same proceedure as with previous metal work; many repeated test fits and an evolving paper template to achieve the final shape.

Name:	carrera003A.JPG
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	6733
              Took some doing but I finally got a tight gap all the way around this complex intersection.

Name:	carrera004A.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6734
              Caught a break; right side went much faster. Just had to flip my template over and reverse my lines. ready to cut here.

Name:	carrera008A.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	6735
              Done! These were tough. both bars are coming in at compound angles where they meet. Real oddball specialized shape.

Name:	carrera006A.JPG
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	6736
              Both joints contour nicely with a tight gap. Just about ready to tack them in.

Name:	carrera009A.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	6737
              Glad these are done! Moving onto the lower ends to install the tube connectors etc.

Name:	carrera010A.JPG
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	6739
              rear tube clamp connectors installed and down tube tack into position. BTW the through this entire build process everything remained only tacked together just in case there were adjustments to make.

Name:	carrera013A.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	6740
              cross-member which will double as my anchor point for the shoulder harness is going in next.

Name:	carrera017A.JPG
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6741
              Cross-brace notched and tacked into final position. Very concerned this might have come up short after notching. The extra caution paid-off; it fit snug.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera020A.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	6743
                With the cross-bar positioned equal on the roll-bar it also sighted up even with the cars frame cross-member seams. More confirmation its on the right track.

Name:	carrera025A.JPG
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6744
                was concerned that the cross bar may not be wide enough to accomidate the outer shoulder strap. A quick mock-up put that fear to rest.

Name:	carrera022A.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	6745
                First runner cut to basic length. With this bar running parallel with the frame it not only looks better but intersects and supports a weld joint with the forward tube clamp connector; very happy with that.

Name:	carrera024A.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6746
                Both lower runners cut to basic length. The time consuming job of notching them for a tight fit is next.

Name:	390.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	6747
                Right side runner notched and tacked in first.

Name:	397.JPG
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6749
                Rollbar parts fabrication done! Notched and fitted the last section of tubing. Just have to finish welding up the joints but done otherwise. Another side project I can check off my list.

Name:	396.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6748
                Everything lines up and fits as best as I could hope for. You can sight the cross-member and rear seat tray edge here. Even enough...

Name:	399.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	6750
                Basic Fabrication finally completed.

Name:	carrera027A.JPG
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6751
                Unit comes right out for a stock appearance. Once its all carpeted and upholstered only a couple of inches of the half-moon stub-ends will be visible.

Name:	carrera028A.JPG
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	6752
                Got it welded up enough to remove it so I can finish gluing it together in relative comfort. Have to take slow and in small sections with interval test fits to make sure its not changing shape on me. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• For safety and visibility I wanted an LED third brake light for this car. I thought installing one in the cross-tube would be the perfect place since it would be up high in the rear window and requires absolutely no further modification be done the car itself to mount it. Ordered a really nice one from a street-rod outfit.

Name:	carrera174A.JPG
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6806
                  I wanted the brake light to be flush mounted so I began fabricating this internal housing out of heavy flat stock to regain the strength lost once I cut the hole in the tube.

Name:	carrera175A.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	6805
                  Housing profiled to the light body for a tight uniform fit.

Name:	carrera20177.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6804
                  Lots of filing and repeated test fits.

Name:	carrera178A.JPG
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	6803
                  It was a very tight fit requiring alot of patients to get it to seat in there!

Name:	carrera182A.JPG
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6802
                  Hole cut in the tube for a flush mount. Housing tacked in and being oriented to point straight out the rear window.

Name:	carrera183A.JPG
Views:	71
ID:	6801
                  Housing fully welded. light installed and wired

Name:	carrera189A.JPG
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6807
                  Decided to sneak the hot lead out the lower outer right side which faces the body. It will immediately dive under the carpet and into the tunnel.

Name:	carrera186A.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	6800
                  Its in! Everything's even and the light sits right.

Name:	carrera194A.JPG
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6808
                  It works!!

Name:	carrera197A.JPG
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6809
                  This will help those little beehives with raising my visibility at a stop light and hopefully decrease my chances of getting hit. Love the fact that this roll-bar does one more job now and it required absolutely no more modification to the car. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Really nice Fabrication work, and the 3rd Brake light is a great idea , with all the distracted and comatose drivers these days.

Comment

• What a great idea.
                      Mark Erbesfield
                      57 356A
                      65 911
                      68 912
                      73 911S
                      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thank you Bruce and Mark! Glad you guys approve!

Remote cooler and oil line fabrication

Name:	carrera570.JPG
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	6816

My new "stand-in" Polo 4-cylinder 911 engine that is being built requires a remote oil cooler. I resisted it at first because I didn't want to drill holes or add things up here that was not stock. However, by the time its finished I'll probably be just shy of 50K in this new motor and the last thing I want is to burn it up or have it wear prematurely all because I would not make the necessary concessions to keep its life blood cool. Actually the more thought and planning I have put into it I now realize it wont be as invasive as I thought. Basically 2 holes drilled in the lower splash pan, 1 maybe two holes in the engine compartment and several threaded brackets. I'm sure it will be more but I'll figure that out as it goes. There will be no real modifications to the fenderbrace for the oil cooler itself. I'll build a bracket that will work off of the existing horn mount tab and maybe a collar clamp that will mount off the headlight harness tube. Everything will unbolt with no welding. The new Setrab oil cooler will of course dictate the final configuration.

Name:	carrera54720410.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	6817
                        Only real picture I have for referrence of the factory hardline system is in my Carrera book. I brought it with me to the shop so I could start planning my own system based on the original. I could make my life so much more simpler by just running soft lines but it has to look cool and replicate what the factory had done. I would not be happy with it otherwise.

Name:	547409.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	6818
                        I used some masking tape to represent the basic lay of the line according to my photos. This car originally had a roller bearing 4-cam motor so there was need for a remote oil cooler. The later plain bearing motors required front coolers and all this additional plumbing. My first task is to fabricate the body mounted tabs for the hardlines. Bill Seargent has generously offered to share this info with me.

Name:	547413.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	6819
                        Again Bill Seargent answered my post concerning Carrera oil lines and components. He generously shared his time, detailed pictures and Valuable hands on experience concerning this subject. He's a great source of information and a credit to the 356 community. Thanks again Bill! Included in this helpful info were detailed plans and pictures of the mounting bases that get welded to the chassis. Based on Bill's dimesions I made a hammerform pictured above and was able to begin making them.

Name:	547414.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	6820
                        Sample bolt illustrates the correct thickness I need to allow the bolt head (or nut) to slide up and down the housing/trap.

Name:	547419.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	6821
                        First unit complete and ready to mount. Second one bolted to the hammer form and ready to be shaped and welded.

Name:	547422.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	6823
                        I used heavier 18 guage steel for added strength over the standard 20 guage. A little harder to work with but I wanted the extra strength to trap the bolt head. I also added that center plate to box it in further. I could not think of a bigger pain then for that bolt head to bend the housing (if I really had to crank on it to get it off in the future)allowing it to spin freely in there. Not quite how the factory did it but I wanted to make double certain that this does not happen.

Name:	547421.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	6822
                        Removable bolt (and or nut) in position. Housing is now ready to be mounted on the car. After showing my girlfriend this new piece she said it looked just like a fixture for a security chain on the front door. She was right! Damn! Could have just went to home depot instead today.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	547424.jpg
Views:	73
ID:	6829
                          First one now fully installed in the upper corner. This one I would find out later would have to be repositioned. Just one of those things you learn by doing.

Name:	547434.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	6830
                          Not too invasive, Two plug welds on the tangs and these come right off.

Name:	547426.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	6831
                          Second bracket just about ready to come out of the hammer form. Each bracket takes a solid session to complete from start to finish so I probably have a soild 4 days just in bracket fabrication.

Name:	547431.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	6832
                          Slight change in plans from the factory layout. The green tape represents the factory lines based on photos that I have been provided. The"X" on the cross tape is where the second bracket would be. Just above the suspension horn is a really nice recessed trough that is a more natural path for the lines to take. My white tape follows this trough which is whare I have decided to run my oil lines.

Name:	547427.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	6833
                          The mount bracket had to be shortened a few MM's with a different tang configuration to get it to fit snuggly down in this trough. Finished product here.

Name:	547429.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	6834
                          plug welded in and dressed.

Name:	547430.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	6835
                          What I really like about these brackets are that they replicate how it was original done and they are very easy to remove if and when the day comes.

Name:	547432.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6836
                          taking shape

Name:	547471.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6837
                          About done building oil line brackets. I just have two more to build for the rear. I decided to put a third bracket down low just ahead of the oil cooler up front. None of the original systems I've seen call for one but I felt like they would be so much better supported and isolated with one more attachment before they turn to soft lines at the cooler. Now I think I'm done welding in here. Everything else should be just bolt-in.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Just as I finished my last mounting bracket and welded on the fronts My New oil cooler was finally delivered on back order from over several weeks. I can now go ahead and fabricate the non-invasive mounting brackets, alloy ducting and deflector shield for it.

Name:	547549.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	6846
                            Really nice Setrab compact cooler. All the latest in flow and heat disapation technology. What also sold me was the larger 19mm outlet ports.

Name:	carrera54720550.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	6844
                            Didn't know if i'd mount it vertically or horizontally. Its too tall in the upright position and would hang below the skin. it will have to lay on its side. Fits much more naturally in this position anyway.

Name:	carrera54720551.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6845
                            Nice fit with ample room for the stand-offs, ducting and shields.
                            I would have ton of fabrication time mounting and shrouding this unit!

Name:	carrera54720552.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	6843
                            Had my basic plan but lots of cardboard templates to come. It changed and evolved as it went. I based the deflector plate and ducting on the original carrera set-up but shaped it for this specific application.

Name:	carrera54720555.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	6842
                            Spent several hours figuring out the cleanest and most non-invasive way to mount this cooler. I finally Decided on 1X1 square stock for the uprights to evenly and securely mount the alloy brackets supplied on the cooler which are also rubber insulated.

Name:	carrera54720554.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6841
                            Mounted these thread plates for use with the stock horn bracket mount.These would later be removed and mounted on the inside of the tube.

Name:	carrera54720556.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	6840
                            I cut in these reliefs so this upright would interlock into the fender brace for more secure fit. These sheetmetal ear/tabs were my first thought. Didn't like it and went to round tubing instead. Again cut those nut plates free and moved them to the inside of the tube for a cleaner finish. A little rethink and adjustments as it progessed. Typical routine for me...

Name:	547558.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	6839
                            Again,Scrapped the tab/ear idea and went with these Threaded tube ends. much stronger with a better finished look.

Name:	547561.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6847
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Some really nice fabrication Justin. Like the idea you change it if its just not what you wanted! I can understand how the hours just fly by doing all that.

Roy

Comment

• Hi Roy, Thanks! Yes, it was more hours than I care to remember but well worth it in the end. Justin

Cooler frame is now 90% complete. Began my paper templates for the shields and front ducting.

Name:	547562.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	6884
                                Outer mount rail now completed.

Name:	547563.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	6885
                                In for what would many test fits. The outer bolt/clamp will be placed right there where the upper and lower rails come together. Again no modification will be required to the brace once finished.

Name:	547566.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	6886
                                Outer mount clamp with spacer bracket complete. A collar clamp will be welded to the cross brace mounting it onto the neck bucket. Will be rock solid after that.

Name:	547565.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6887
                                Cooler sits level against the fender brace. You can see the out-rigger thread plate and the outer bolt and spacer which make up this non evasive clamp.

Name:	carrera54720569.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	6890
                                Here is my only shot of original carrera alloy shielding for the cooler. Will make mine very similar though specialized for my application.

Name:	547568.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	6888
                                Here is my own version of the lower shield. Very similar but I followed the contour of the feander brace more closely.

Name:	547567.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	6889
                                Here is where that outer stand-off / mount I made comes in. Spaces the shield evenly across. Working on the upper portion templates next.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X