No announcement yet.

58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front oil line runners now complete. 2/3's of the way there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera223A.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7247
    Recieved my allen bolts for the clamps yesterday. These are some really trick metric Titanium units found in the mountain bike industry.

Name:	carrera217A.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	7248
    Lower hardline fully mounted. I rewelded that first bracket I had cut free and reposition. All insulator rings in and fully clamped down tight. Could not have been happier with it.

Name:	carrera222A.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	7253
    The head on the sample bolt I gave Bill was a bit larger then these bolt heads but it will work out fine.

Name:	carrera219A.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	7249
    Now that the bottom tube was fully mounted in position I could start building the upper template.

Name:	carrera224A.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7250
    Upper template complete and set. Spent some time here trimming and adjusting for a correct fit. It was an absolute must for me that both lines contour and run even with each other. It has to work but it also has to look good too.

Name:	carrera227A.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	7251
    upper line now fabricated to shape. Matches the bottom very closely.

Name:	carrera229A.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	7252
    filed and shaped the clamps round. Much nicer round than angular I think.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Front lines fully test mounted together for the first time. This was a very fun session.

Name:	carrera230A.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	7255
      Final configuration.

Name:	carrera231A.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	7256
      Just a test fit; insulators will be centered and trimmed when they go in for good.

Name:	carrera232A.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	7257
      Everything tucks in nice and tight and I should have no clearance issues.

Name:	carrera233A.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7258
      Left myself plenty of lead for options on how I was going to transition to soft lines.

Name:	carrera235A.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	7259
      Both lines pretty much run consistent throughout. If they had not it meant doing it over again.

Name:	carrera237A.JPG
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7260
      Keeping these tubes even and parallel as they made this bend was the trickiest. Close enough! The mount bracket has also been rewelded to a more ocrrect position by this time.

Name:	carrera238A.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	7261
      I got very lucky; nothing rubs or touches the frame. The Lines are suspended with good clearance. I'm onto the rear sections. Thanks for looking! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Rear tube runner template

Name:	carrera241A.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	7264
        Rear template in development process here. I want them to contour as close as possible with that graceful bow in the chassis.

I soon realized To get these last sections of tube bent up correctly I had to commit on where I was going to place the holes for access into the engine compartment. After some careful thought I commited and made the last of the invasive modifications required to run these oil lines.

Name:	carrera245A.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	7265
        Several reasons why I chose down low on the frame rail versus up higher on the closing panel like the factory did. The most important reason was its easily reversable. Its a flat face and will require a simple patch to weld back closed. Also very easy to dress the welds smooth if and when the day comes. Second I can use a bulk-head mounted through fitting to secure both the end of the hardline on the outside as well as a solid anchor point for the softlines. the upper panel is curved so a bulkhead fitting would have been out leaving this junction point unanchored securely without more mods or brackets. Also the access holes would have been egg-shaped and bent to fit the needs of the hardline coming through at an angle. More mess to correct. Not original but much simpler and cleaner for my purposes.

Name:	carrera242A.JPG
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	7266
        Also easier to access down low here.

Name:	carrera243A.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	7267
        Male bulkhead-mounted through fittings will "manifold" right of the wall here and into the softlines up to the filter and thermo units. I'm also thinking the Hot oil from the motor will hardline straight back and up to the thermo/filter junction on the wall there. Got the idea from seeing it done on later 911 SC motors. its slowly taking final form and coming into better focus.

Name:	carrera264A.JPG
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	7268
        This bracket had to be relocated to get a fit I was happy with. I thought I was done repositioning brackets; Wrong again.

Name:	carrera268A.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	7269
        Rear bracket repositioned and welded in place. First and easiest portion of this template complete. Goal was to have this run contour as close as possible to the chassis for a cleaner look.

Name:	carrera271A.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	7270
        Rear template completed with Final sections now in position. This swooping curve makes this area far more work then the previous forward sections. Glad I tackled these last and got some practice first.

Name:	carrera273A.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	7271
        Full view. Before I commit to a full piece I now realize I should have the fittings on hand so I can accurately position the ends of the tubing in relation to the frame which is dirctly effected by the index of each bend. jim Nelson was nice enough to give me a name of a supplier. Thank you Jim! I'll need to get them here before a can go further and commit to a full piece. better safe then sorry! Thanks for looking at this! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Those pipe clamps with the special allen bolts look so nice. The hours were well spent here no doubt about it. And the isulator rings finish it off well.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy, I am glad you like them! You're an engineer so I highly value your comment! I have more time and money in this system than I care to admit but its a labor of love. Thanks again! Justin

Last of the tube collar clamps now completed.

Name:	carrera153A.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	7283
            Had to come up with the least invasive way of securing the ends of these tubes.

Name:	carrera368A.JPG
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	7284
            My machinist Bill finished up the first clamp a few days ago. Based off of the others but built for its own specific purpose. This one had to be built and mounted first so I could engineer the other one.

Name:	carrera363A.JPG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	7285
            Stock rocker brace drilled and upper tube collar now fully mounted in final position.

Name:	carrera364A.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	7286
            Outer lower clamp now designed and now being machined out of alloy.

Name:	carrera365A.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	7287
            Just what I was shooting for; This single hole will be the only modification needed to secure the end of this section. This is also the last modification I'll have to make the car to run this entire system.

Name:	carrera381.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	7288
            Outer lower clamp now complete and test mounted. Works perfectly!

Name:	carrera383.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7289
            Single bolt in the radious of this base secures both it and the clamp on the other side. Outer cap screws on directly to this base.

Name:	carrera384.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	7290
            Again I prefer rounded shapes so I spent an afternoon shaping these clamps.

Name:	carrera387.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	7291
            All line mounts now complete. Very happy with this setup; only required a single hole in the brace to mount and its very secure. Hardline fittings are up next. Thanks for looking! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Took delivery of my initial order of oil line fittings; My thanks again to Jim Nelson for recommending a really nice outfit to order from.

Name:	carrera409A.JPG
Views:	84
ID:	7293
              Went with XRP (AN style) fittings. they are really nice and are great quality. They weren't cheap so they better be! Pictured here are my front splash pan bulkhead mount 90's with jamb nuts. Need to order 2 more for the engine compartment but wanted to make sure these are what I needed first. The other standard 90 is for the rear turn at the torsion housing.

Name:	carrera419A.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7294
              These fittings are huge!(-12's) I really lucked out on my current spacing of the hardlines. I have ample room to tighen and losen the collar nuts. So lucky, I completely overlooked how big these were going to be.

Name:	carrera420A.JPG
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	7295
              Thats a stock Carrera sized oil line fitting on the right. This whole oversized system should have that 911 pump flowing real nice.

Name:	carrera415A.JPG
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	7296
              My original passage holes were based off of that original carrera fitting. Not big enough; had to go the next size up.

Name:	carrera416A.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	7297
              Splash pan 90's now fit and have ample clearance from one another. Luckily!

Name:	carrera412A.JPG
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7298
              Same story with the rear. I thank god these oversized joints are going to fit and work in my predetermined oil line mounting locations.

Name:	carrera414A.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7299
              One small glitch. The fittings are standard and the lines are metric. We got as close as we could but these tube sleeves are for 3/4 inch tubing and are a bit too large for my lines for a proper fit. I could have used them but to be correct I'm having my machinist Bill fabricate an exact copy only with a proper sized ID for my 18mm tubing. They will make the perfect bridge once done.

Name:	carrera418A.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	7300
              Another small custom job I'm having Bill do are the alloy reinforcment rings at the base of each fitting similar to the originals. making the paper template here. looking forward to getting these parts back so I can really start getting things mounted in there on a more permanent level.

Name:	carrera399A.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7301
              Like the tubing bender before you must have the right tools so additional tools were required to complete the lines. Had to purchase this flaring tool for my fittings. Also went ahead and bought a tube cutter to ensure a square tube end before flaring.

Name:	carrera400A.JPG
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	7302
              This tool is of course set up for standard sizes but a little tape around the tube creates a secure fit in the clamp. You can see what a beautiful job it did on this test section. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Here are those critical oil line parts my machinist finished up taking me one more step closer. I had additional fittings on order. Once they arrived I could begin assembling sections of this system.

Name:	carrera571A.JPG
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	7304
                My new tubing sleeves. These are my bridge to allow my metric tubing to work with my standard fittings; they came out perfect.

Name:	carrera414A.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	7305
                Again the Closest standard sized sleeves where just too big and allowed too much wiggle room at the end of the line.

Name:	carrera572A.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	7306
                New pieces where made exactly the same size though wth an 18MM ID to work with my tubing.

Name:	carrera560A.JPG
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	7307
                Last small job were these alloy collars for the splash pan bulk-head fittings. loosely based on the originals but shaped and machined for my specific fitting needs. Had a spare pair made for the engine compartment bulk-head fittings.

Name:	carrera555A.JPG
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	7308
                Washers trimmed and mimic the originals. Sent these black fittings back by the way for an exchange for silver ones. Wanted them to look more correct.

Name:	carrera558A.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	7309
                Don't know if the originals had backing washers but had these made anyway.They are the perfect diameter and just clear one another. Thanks for looking! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Finally got most of my oil line fittings and hardware together. I'm shy about three pieces still but I could at least begin building some of the system.

Name:	carrera692A.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	7311
                  Could not get some of the parts in the colors I wanted. The reds will be up by the cooler so it did not matter. The only ones I care about are the 90's at the rocker panel. I could not get the silver ones so they sent the black ones back to me. I'm taking the coating off and just polishing up the alloy. Between order, reorder and machine time to build custom sleeves, washers and clamps there is quite the investment of time and money sitting here.

Name:	carrera693A.JPG
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	7312
                  oil line and fitting in final position. Now to cut it to the correct length without screwing it up! Scary!!

Name:	carrera694A.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	7313
                  My referrence tools. Two sections cut to the exact same length; One piece flared to tell me how much length is used to create the flare.

Name:	carrera695A.JPG
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	7314
                  Flared mock-up piece in position. Tube will be marked even with the top of this section to give me the correct desired length when fully finished.

Name:	carrera697A.JPG
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	7315
                  Length marked with tape. Unflared piece now used to measure of the correct distance I need for the tube end before flaring.

Name:	carrera698A.JPG
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	7316
                  Tube end now flared and finished. I almost forgot to put the collar and clamp nut on first; Almost!

Name:	carrera699A.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	7317
                  It worked! Tube wasn't too short and it all sandwiched together nicely.

Name:	carrera700A.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	7318
                  Bottom run is up next.

Name:	carrera704.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	7319
                  Lower section cut and fitted. These tubes actually run parallel much better than in this picture but they are not fully mounted and adjusted.

Name:	carrera711A.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	7320
                  With the front pieces cut and flared I began working on the rocker tubing lengths.

Name:	carrera709A.JPG
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	7321
                  Snaked it around the access hole with just enough clearance to get a punch in there to drive out the hinge pin if ever needed.

Name:	carrera708A.JPG
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	7322
                  The back of this section is now cut, flared, and mounted in its final position.

Name:	carrera712A.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7323
                  Planning the inner tubing run now. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• I soon realized that I'd have to have to remake that inner rocker tube run. This piece fit fine in relation to the hole for the fitting but with the actual fitting in place with its approach angle it became quickly appearant that my bends were not going to allow for proper fitment or clearance for the jack spur and longitudinal. Always something...

Name:	carrera714A.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	7326
                    Once the fitting was added into this equation it threw all my bends off. it just was not going to fit right and clear the spur and longitudinal as it left the front fitting.I had a very hard time letting this piece die. I had such an investment in time shaping this thing. (page 32) I went back and fourth trying to figure out how I was going to make it work. I eventually cut it in half (pictured) to put any ideas of using it to rest. This now forced me to make a new section.

Name:	carrera716A.JPG
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	7327
                    This was the simpliest path for the tube to take but it looked terrible. I know most will never see this but I need it to look right for the few who will.

Name:	carrera724A.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	7328
                    After a few tries got the shape I could be happy with and it fit the approach of the fitting while clearing the longitudinal.

Name:	carrera717A.JPG
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	7329
                    I like the path this new run is taking so much better than the first. So at the very least I'm improving the design a bit.

Name:	carrera718A.JPG
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7330
                    This is going to be a better design all the way around. Simpler to make and much more symmetrical with its mate.

Name:	carrera719A.JPG
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	7331
                    This is a pretty long run of unsuspended tubing. Though I think it would be alright, I'm going to have Bill (machinist) make me one maybe two more of these clamps. This will connect the two runs so they can support one another over this expance without any further modification needed to the car.

Name:	carrera720A.JPG
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	7332
                    More playing around. Just getting a feel for what shape I'm going to need here to make it fit correctly.

Name:	carrera721A.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	7333
                    A few missing links but this template is just about done.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Finished the new test model and am now ready to bend up the replacement runner.

Name:	carrera730A.JPG
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	7355
                      Lots of slight bending and twisting adjustments to get the fit I was looking for.

Name:	carrera731A.JPG
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	7356
                      follows the contour of its mate well enough.

Name:	carrera733A.JPG
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	7357
                      ample clearance from the spur.

Name:	carrera732A.JPG
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7358
                      Here is the model in final shape and clamped position. Folding up the new piece next.

Name:	carrera739A.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	7359
                      Replacement rocker runner completed. All hooked up and ready. I'm happy enough with the shape but More thrilled to be done with this redo.

Name:	carrera740A.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	7360
                      some slight tweaking yet to do but its there.

Name:	carrera741A.JPG
ID:	7361
                      Much simpiler shape than the first one. It clears the spur by MM's but it'll work just fine.

Name:	carrera742A.JPG
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	7362
                      Many slow trial test fits and repeated small incremental bends to creat this sweeping curve.

Name:	carrera749A.JPG
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	7363
                      New line messaged into final shape. Both ends cut and flared with fittings.

Name:	carrera748A.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	7364
                      I now have my targets for the rear oil line sections reducing the guess work.

Name:	carrera744A.JPG
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7365
                      Now I am officially 2/3 of the way there once again. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Oil Cooler soft line fittings

Name:	carrera426A.JPG
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	7377
                        A snag hit in my softline configuration. My original thought was to use 180 degree fittings off the cooler, into a softline back to the hardlines on the wall.

Name:	carrera427A.JPG
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	7378
                        The loops were of course too big and collided with the fender even before they got close to being in position.

Name:	carrera428A.JPG
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	7379
                        The cooler and ducting are set in stone with zero adjustment. So another configuration was needed. After several days of playing with it and letting my brain mull everything over; a 90 degree then to the 180 now pointed downward was the answer. However this configuration required too many extra fittings to work. I sent them back and bought some 90 degree cooler to softline fittings.

Name:	carrera753A.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7380
                        Here are the standard cooler to softline fittings I ordered as replacements. They were actually my only other real option. To buy me enough time and space to make the turns cleanly back toward the frame the lines at the cooler must criss-cross.

Name:	carrera770A.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7381
                        Fittings and softlines mocked up for the first time. It will work, thank god! What needs to be done is slowly coming into focus.

Facing some real challenges on the other isde of the cooler at the hardlines.

Name:	547748.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	7385
                        With the cooler and ducting configuration I just recently came to the realization of the corner I have painted myself into. Now that I am transitioning from hard to soft line up here having room to oppperate a leveraged tool to get at the fittings is an impossibility.

Name:	carrera736A.JPG
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	7382
                        My answer came in the form of these trick quick disconnect fittings from XRP.

Name:	carrera737A.JPG
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	7383
                        Double O-ring alloy bung gets welded to the tube end. 90 degree soft line fitting slips right over and this three-prong clamshell locks it all together.

Name:	carrera738A.JPG
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	7384
                        Approximate location of junction. These were not cheap but they solve the problem.

Name:	carrera772A.JPG
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	7386
                        Heres a more detailed pic to show how crowded and limited access a place it is. Physically impossible to get a wrench down in there!
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• This oil system is finally getting to a stage of completion where I can begin mounting parts of it on the car on a permanent basis! After taking delivery of some conical seal rings and finishing up that new rocker tube section there was nothing holding me back from mounting this section in for good.

Name:	carrera766A.JPG
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	7388
                          These were not necessary but were just cheap insurance against leaks. I'm not 100% confident in my tube flares but these certainly helped to put my mind at ease.

Name:	carrera846.JPG
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	7389
                          I could net get my 90 degree fittings in nickle so I accepted the colors they had available. I began removing the anodize by hand but it was a pain. I then read in last months Hot Rod Magazine about oven cleaner making anodize removal a snap.

Name:	carrera847.JPG
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7390
                          It sure did!! After a couple of applications it was gone. I Had already cleaned the visable areas of the front rocker fittings and had just finished the rear rocker fittings here. I sure wished I would have known this trick earlier.

Name:	carrera767A.JPG
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	7391
                          Splash pan bulkhead 90's are fully set and sinched down for good! You can see here how those conical seals fit like a glove.

Name:	carrera768A.JPG
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	7392
                          Rocker tube sections were mounted and connected to these fittings shortly after. My biggest challange was NOT to over tighten these things.

Now that the rocker runners were fully mounted the only thing holding me up on getting the fronts in were the tube fittings for the soft lines. All of that had to be TIG welded first.

Name:	carrera806.JPG
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	7393
                          After a lot of planning and study I committed on the final configuration and ultimate length of each of the runners. Just had to get my buddy Warren to TIG them on for me.

Name:	carrera807A.JPG
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	7394
                          The tube and mating flange of the fitting were about the same size. I accidently came up with flaring the ends to ensure center alignment and ease of welding.

Name:	carrera811.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	7395
                          It worked out alright. Here they are shortly after welding.

Name:	carrera808A.JPG
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	7396
                          Welds did not interfere; everything fit fine.

Name:	carrera813.JPG
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	7397
                          Now test fitted on the car. I staggered the clamshells to ensure good clearance from one another. Its a very tight fit but nothing rubs or touches. I was also test fitting some hose as well.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Front lines are now mounted into the car for good!! With the TIG welding complete there was nothing holding me back from getting them in as well.

Name:	carrera823.JPG
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7399
                            Conical seals installed, just have to hook these up one last time!

Name:	carrera824.JPG
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7400
                            Both runners fully clamped and adjusted for even alignment with one another. They both line up just as nice as they did all those months ago. I was so happy and excited!

Name:	carrera826.JPG
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	7401
                            At long last these are connected for good! Just hope they don't leak!

Name:	carrera828.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	7402
                            Being made of harder T6060 a little mothers polish on a rag woke them right up!

Name:	carrera829.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7403
                            The orange insulator wraps have been trimmed back flush with the clamps.

Name:	carrera835.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	7404
                            Just a quick overview shot of this hard fought victory! I was so relieved the day I shot these! Just wrapping up the rear runners now. I had to reconfigure them and will post that next. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin it's starting to look alot like a completed job, keep at it great looking setup. Happy Holidays. George

Comment

• Wow, I am so glad you talked me out of going with an external cooler. I would have never finished my car. Thanks for the nice detailed pics.
                                Mark Erbesfield
                                57 356A
                                65 911
                                68 912
                                73 911S
                                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                                X