59 RHD South African Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Roy
    Thanks once again for you continued support it's people like you with your original 356 and your willingness to help that make this forum such a great place.
    The 'Carrera' engine tray that I am talking about was welded just underneath the bolt in (larger) engine tray.
    Here are some pictures from someone else's car, hope they make sense.
    I seem to remember there was a discussion on the registry that it was phased out in 1959 but I'm not sure.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	S249.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.3 KB ID:	106708 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_4592.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	106709
    Thanks for your help.
    Drew

Comment

• Okay Drew, I will check mine out and see !

Roy

Comment

• Hey Drew, Those where phased out sometime in early '58. No Carrera chassis components in pushrod cars by 1959.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi Justin
          That's the confirmation I was after, just got a bit confused when I saw this tray in my LHD early 58.
          Now I can cut it out with confidence.
          Cheers
          Drew

Comment

• I looked late yesterday and was about to post it was not on my 59. You confirmed it. I never knew when they stopped doing that same as Drew.

Roy

Comment

• Hi Roy
              Thank you for your input ,as always.
              Talk soon.
              Drew

Comment

• Hi Guys
                OK I'm going to go with no lower tray on the 59 'African Queen' coupe. BUT I was taking a look at some of the amazing work being done by Deluxe Customs and two of their 58/59 Convertible D's had lower trays.
                Justin is there a tray in the 'D' you're working on?
                The pictures below are from Convertible D 86257 a 1959 car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Con D engine tray 1.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	106881 Click image for larger version

Name:	Con D engine tray.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	106882

Comment

• Hi Drew,
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2870.JPG Views:	0 Size:	164.1 KB ID:	106902 yes, it does have the 4-cam perimeter strips.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3602.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	106903
                  however 1959 coupe 108625 did not. the welded in pushrod tray has been cut out due to rust in this shot. Also my donor '59 coupster chassis was also like this one. Drauz was still installing them after Reutter discontinued them it seems. Always learning....

Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 09-12-2019, 06:30 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi Guys
                    I have been kidding myself for years that I can clean (by hand) all the panels on the cars I am working on without blasting them, last week I bit the bullet and started looking for a blasting company that could speed up the process.
                    WOW should have gone down this route years ago, the garage is now filled with beautifully clean and primed panels.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8351.JPG Views:	3 Size:	159.9 KB ID:	107020 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8349.JPG Views:	3 Size:	168.1 KB ID:	107021Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8348.JPG Views:	3 Size:	271.3 KB ID:	107019
                    This would give me a fixed point to work back to and hopefully keep the front lid opening as original.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8342.JPG Views:	3 Size:	211.4 KB ID:	107017 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8345.JPG Views:	3 Size:	199.6 KB ID:	107018
                    Last edited by Drew.s; 10-02-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I learned that lesson the hard way myself Drew. I was really into cleaning things by hand until a friend rented a huge sandblasting outfit and cleaned his entire project car and related components in one afternoon with a far superior result. That was it for me. Such a brighter outlook you instantly get with clean metal staring back at you.
                      Looks like you're off and running now.
                      Justin

• Hi Guys
                    The nose restoration moves on, I always knew that I would need to cut lower into this area as it was very thin and rusted out.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8364.JPG Views:	2 Size:	213.1 KB ID:	107122 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8369.JPG Views:	2 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	107124
                    The nose restoration moves on, I always knew that I would need to cut lower into this area as it was very thin and rusted out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8371.JPG Views:	2 Size:	220.8 KB ID:	107125But I was a little nervous about fabricating a double curved panel to match the original, then I had a brain wave, why not harvest a section from an old panel.

I have some old ‘B’ rear panel work hanging around and after some measuring, found a section with an exact match to the nose section.

The moral of this story is don’t throw any old 356 panels away.

So this new panel got welded in and I have to say the contours are spot on.

Next up is ‘shrinking’ and ‘stretching’ the new gutter panel to fit.

Then I need to match up all the interior panels and also test fit the front hood which needs some surgery before I can use it as a template.

That’s coming up next.

Thanks for stopping by.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8372.JPG Views:	2 Size:	214.5 KB ID:	107120Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8368.JPG Views:	2 Size:	190.1 KB ID:	107123
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Nice work on those gutter parts Drew. How long to make them

Comment

• Hi Phil
                        Sorry I can't take the credit for the gutter piece, it was purchased from 'Part Classics' in Germany.
                        They do some great panels at reasonable prices.
                        Cheers
                        Drew

Comment

• Well done Drew on the nose work so far. Like Phil never seen those sections available before!

Roy

Comment

• Hi Guys and thanks Roy

It’s starting to get a bit cold in the workshop so I will be moving onto ‘In Kitchen’ projects soon including re-building the seats, more of that later.

But here is an update on the front bodywork, getting the inner nose section to fit and re attaching the original jack brackets.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8390.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	107522 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8391.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	107523 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8392.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	107525
                            Next up was to get the front hood sorted so that I could use it as a template.

At some point in it’s life it had been badly kinked so I cut out a section of the frame to give me access and allow me to straighten out the bent section.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8394.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	107521 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8395.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	107524
                            All was looking good and after welding the hood it was strong and straight again but after fitting it was clear that the front section was way out.
                            Thanks for stopping by
                            Drew
                            Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Hi Guys
                              Without a good hood for a template I was stuck so plan B required another trip to the blasters with a spare one, as you can see this hood will also need some work but I am now in a good place and ready to start fitting the rain gutter section.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8420.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	107527 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF8421.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	107528
                              Once the nose is built to the original line of this hood I will then rebuild the hood itself to match the new nose.
                              Thanks for stopping by
                              Drew

Comment

Working...
                              X