No announcement yet.

59 RHD South African Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So true about the hood release cable. I also had to get my gap better and that wire 64 years old sort of worried me. So I took off the rubber grommet on the lift side inner hood wall which you can push a thick cable through and I fixed the end to the opening latch. the other end I pushed through a small hole in the grommet and neatly attached it to the headlamp bracket under the wing. I can reach under the wing and get to pull it if necessary. So far the factory one is still working.

Car looks good Drew.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Justin
      The gaps are pretty close to factory but I'm sure the concours judges would find fault here and there but this restoration was never for a show queen but a usable well restored car with a bit of patina here and there.
      The next custodian can polish the paint to a mirror finish over the years if they want to but I like the 'not perfect 1k cellulose look'.

Roy you are so right about a back up hood pull cable, to be locked out of the front hood is a frightening experience.

OK so the build moves on, door glass and frames are in, headlights are in and some of the small details are being fitted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_153441.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	114255

Name:	20230617_153425.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	114256

Name:	20230617_153452.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	114257

Name:	20230617_153520.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	114258

Name:	20230616_174822.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	114259
      Next up is the dash and gauges and then engine install....
      Oh what fun....
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Drew

Comment

• Ho guys
        So we finally get onto fitting out the dash...

I have been collecting Blaupunkt radios over the years and this one is the best I have. It's a 1960 Frankfurt Tr which is a part valve, part transistor radio.
        It was top of the range in it's day and works beautifully with a really mellow valve sound.
        I forgot to re-chrome the faceplate so that has gone off for plating.

Name:	20230623_153409.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	114284

Dash is coming along with knobs and switches going in, from the start of this restoration I decided to keep the original wiring harness and I'm glad I have as the new harnesses are all LHD and not quite right for a RHD car.

Just one little problem, the glove box lock wont unlatch so if anyone knows how to solve this issue please let me know otherwise I will have to source another one.

Name:	20230623_153951.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	114283

Thanks for stopping by
        Drew
        United Kingdom
        ​

Comment

• Its looking great in there Drew! This is really the most fun and rewarding part isn't it? I had the same issue with my glove box latch as it wasn't the original to my car.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 2602.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	114286 You're probably having the same issue where the hook just isn't reaching deep enough to catch on the back of the jamb. After some messing about I realized that this chrome beauty sleeve also double as a spacer. You could mock it up without the ring and measure the distance needed for it to engage.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 2603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	114287 I cautiously starting filing slivers of it off until the catch firmly engaged. Hope this helps and keep up the great work! Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 06-23-2023, 07:08 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry about that Drew, I misread your earlier question; It wont unlatch. Do you have the key for it? If the "flipper tail" won't move when you push the button it means that it is in the locked position.

• Hi Justin
          Thanks for you glove box lock suggestions and yes it won't unlatch.
          There is no key and it is not in the locked position, when I press the button the "flipper tail" moves downwards but its quite weak, slight finger pressure on the flipper stops it from moving downward even when you push in the button.
          Hope that explains my situation.
          Cheers
          Drew

Comment

• Drew, I had a look at my glovebox lock. The key was produced by ' 'Huf' If in the unlocked situation I push the button in and put my finger on the latch there is firm resistance, so you can see the latch moves properly so the lid can be opened. There is a washer on the inside under the nut that secures the lock to the lid. The mechanism for the lock is inside the chromed part I think when you lock it a plate inside just stops the movemet to the latch.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks for the info Roy, I think I will just have to bite the bullet and source another lock as I think the inner cam is just worn out.

OK all the instruments are in and in the correct positions for a RHD car (it took two attempts after stupidly following the LHD layout in my owners manual).
              Restored steering wheel and original horn button is now in place so we can now call the dash finished except fitting the radio and sourcing a new glove box lock.

Here is the dash as I found it, complete but in a very poor state.

Name:	DSCF6028.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1,023.5 KB
ID:	114370

And here it is today.

Name:	20230706_150456.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	114369
              Moving onto fitting a new headliner next (which I'm not looking forward to) but I will be following Justins very useful instructions and then the main glass can go in.
              Thanks for stopping by.
              Drew​

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                The interior came a long way too! She's really looking fine Drew! You'll have that headliner knocked out in no time.

• Drew very presentable indeed. Amazing what a difference you have made to the look of that dash.

Roy

Comment

• OK Guys here is the headliner going in...
                I opted for as close to original sound deadening material, it is a thick felt underlay material with a black rubberised side.

Name:	20230724_143232.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	114456
                Next up was the headliner, I followed Justin's write up but it was a fight every step of the way.

Name:	20230725_125645.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	114457
                I am happy with the final result and any persistent wrinkles will be removed with a gentle use of the heat gun.

Name:	20230813_162034.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	114455
                So now for the front and rear screens. I called upon the skill of Kevin to get these in and I have to say it was the most nerve wracking part of this whole restoration.
                But they are in and look fantastic.

Name:	20230813_162012.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	114458
                With all these final loose ends getting sorted I thought it was time to dig out the old paperwork for the car and piece together an ownership history for the next owner.
                What I discovered was very interesting (at least for guys and girls who can remember the Swinging Sixties in London).
                If you want to follow the discussion here is a link to the UK DDK Forum.

And here is a teaser to get you all interested...

Name:	That's alright 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	114459
                Next up the quarter windows and engine go in...
                KTF
                Drew​

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The headliner install looks good Drew. The trickiest area is around that A-pillar, I really had to get aggressive with it to get to wrap snuggly down into the windshield channel area. The perforation holes where deforming as I went and tearing was a bit of a concern. I'm sure you can relate. Nicely done! Justin

• Drew , that result looks so good very well done indeed! I have followed the thread on DDK and I knew way back Mickie Most had a real interest in 356 cars, So your one started out Red and Beige from the factory was changed to black which he liked and then finally another owner took it back to factory colour . I mentioned a long time ago I saw the advert ( still have it ) for your car 68BTR for sale in North Wales for £35k in 2015 and owner had another silver RHD 1959 super coupe needing it looked like much work needed for £28K

As 68 BTR was RHD I had a thought maybe I should ask about that, but my wife might have no, would have, complained for sure!! I can see now just how much you had to do but like your other 356 resto's it would have been too much for me!

Did you notice Donald Campbell who bought a 356A super in 1959 in Meissen Blue and Red the same spec as mine and only a few chassis number's different to mine still survives. He sold it in the early 60's and new owners kept from 1965 up till recently. It was sold at a Sotherby auction about a year ago for £235,000 I did look good in the one big photo I saw on line.

I guess the name in the log book 'Donald Campbell' made some difference and it did look just like mine I guess from 10 feet away! ( Mickie was very well known back then )

Roy

Comment

• Hi Roy
                  There still seems to be some confusion regarding the colour change too black, I think Mike at PRS might have got my car mixed up with another one owned by Mickie.
                  I'm kinda glad your wife got in the way of you purchasing the two RHD cars I ended up with but it has been a long road to get this one finished.
                  I didn't see the Campbell 356 but that is a high price for a coupe, it just goes to show that a famous owner can effect the value but I don't think Mickie will add much to mine.
                  I have settled on a price (£135,600) which I think is reasonable but of course if I added up all the hours I have spent I would be well out of pocket.

Here is the latest update....
                  Parts are back from the chromers so the radio has been fitted.

Name:	20230823_143454.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	114467
                  New 6V battery is in ready for connecting up.

Name:	20230823_143331.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	114466
                  Rear quarter windows are in and finally the original engine is back in.

Name:	20230830_144101.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	114468
                  Getting very close to the end.
                  KTF
                  Drew

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very, very nicely detailed! I have no doubts of finding her a new custodian quickly. Congratulations on nearing the end of this very technical rebuild.
                    Justin

• Drew, Nice attention to detail especially the battery box area ! Its a nice car and I did notice on DDK that it was a mix up regarding black and that your car is original on colour. The fact its RHD will help too. Yes expect the hours really did mount up !!

Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X