• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joris,

That looks really nice.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Joris, That is really taking shape! BTW what chassis # is your coupe there? Justin

8/11/13
      New repair section completed and ready for installation.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis594.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24583
      Basic repair closing panel formed. A lot of double checking before I committed to these bends.

Name:	Achassis595.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24584
      Initial rough test fit with good overall alignment.

Name:	Achassis596.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24585
      Top-inner view. Weld joint seam also lining up okay across what is left of the lower vertical wall.

Name:	Achassis598.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	24586
      Next were the final two bends on the "tail" here.

Name:	Achassis597.JPG
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	24587
      Went back to a clamped strip of steel on the upper flange to represent the eventual closing panel to ensure a snug and proper fit.

Name:	Achassis601.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	24588
      Final two bends in the tail section now. One or two mistakes and retries but it finally went.

Name:	Achassis600.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	24589
      New Long. closing panel mocked up once again to double check the flange fitment.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis602.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	24593
        Here is the progression.

Name:	Achassis603.JPG
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24594
        Close enough for Gov't work!

Name:	Achassis605.JPG
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24595
        One more

Name:	Achassis607.JPG
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24596
        New part cleaned of surface rust.

Name:	Achassis606.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	24597
        Some fine tweaking and trimming of course but I can begin tacking this in for good tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/13/13
          Repair panel now installed.

Name:	Achassis617.JPG
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24821
          After a series of fine trimming and refit I was comfortable enough to lay down a few tack welds. I added the holes for the plug-welds first though.

Name:	Achassis619.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24822
          Plug-weld holes here to attach it to that new flange/closing panel I had to install first.

Name:	Achassis620.JPG
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24823
          This closing bulk-head at the head of the tube.

Name:	Achassis622.JPG
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	24824
          So far so go and total PIA if I had to remove it at this point.

Name:	Achassis625.JPG
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24825
          Pretty much all stitched in at this point with new Long. closing panel in for another test fit just to make sure.

Name:	Achassis621.JPG
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	24826
          With that major piece just about in the bag I turned my attention to this secondary wall repair panel.

Name:	Achassis629.JPG
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24827
          New basic part with both flanges in. The approach angle on the vertical flange was a little tricky. trimming and final shape to come.

Name:	Achassis630.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24828
          Slowly wrapping this complex repair up.
          Thanks for reading this! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/14/13
            Secondary wall repair in.

Name:	Achassis631.JPG
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24900
            Now fitted and trimmed to final shape. Just need to punch in some holes and clean up the flash rust.

Name:	Achassis633.JPG
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24901
            Holes in and rust gone; Ready to weld.

Name:	Achassis632.JPG
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24902
            Plug welds will be at the bottom. This way No mess to clean on the inside flanges which can always be seen. Would be hell to get in there with a grinder anyway.

Name:	Achassis634.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24903
            Plugs done. Just have to finish stitching the vertical wall together.

Name:	Achassis636.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24904
            With these plugs out of the way I could technically install the closing panel up here but...

Name:	Achassis635.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24905
            I still need to finish the rust repairs back here. Continuing on with that tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice work Justin, I know I have said it before, but your variety of clamps are really super. Often I see a new style I have never seen before. I call them 'mole' grips is it the same in the states?

Roy

Comment

• Thank you Roy! I only have a few and there are a lot more I'd like to get! I've added them to my list; right under the TIG welder. I have never heard of them being referred to as Mole-grips just "vice-grips" is all I have ever known. Cultural slang is interesting isn't it? Thanks again! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• 9/18/13
                  Rear Section repairs.

Moving on to repair both the upper and lower rear closing sections so I can finally get a new outer longitudinal member installed.

Name:	carrera1366.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	26677
                  Cut the lower end cap off to make way for a fresh section. Once removed it exposed more decay which I was not able to see when the wall was there. I didn't have enough to do anyway.

Name:	carrera1368.JPG
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	26678
                  The chassis have been laid down flat again so I can address this back corner of the threshold. I first need to remove what is left of the vertical closing wall reinforcements. They look pretty crispy anyway.

Name:	carrera1369.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	26679
                  reinforcements gone except their mount flanges. The entire upper run of this frame is now exposed.

Name:	carrera1370.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	26680
                  Aside from the obvious hole the rest of this area that was under the plates is very rusty and weak. Its going to take a bigger plate than originally thought.

Name:	carrera1372.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	26681
                  All the mount flanges now ground off. as you can see very rusty and weak.

Name:	Achassis642.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	26682
                  going to take pretty much the footprint of the reinforcements.

Name:	Achassis643.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	26683
                  taking it out in sections here.

Name:	Achassis644.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	26684
                  Area and mount flange now cleaned and prepped. Developing my paper template here.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Part 2

Name:	Achassis648.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	26686
                    new metal patch now trimmed and bent almost to correct shape.

Name:	Achassis647.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	26687
                    Just about ready to stitch in here.

Name:	Achassis652.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	26688
                    New panel now fully welded in.

Name:	Achassis653.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	26689

Name:	Achassis654.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	26690
                    Welds now dressed and am finished up here for now.

Name:	Achassis655.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	26691
                    With that upper patch now out of the way I am onto the last section keeping from installing the long closing panel. This inner corner perimeter section is up next. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• 9/20/13
                      Rear left corner perimeter fabrication and fitment.

Name:	Achassis658.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	26721
                      Went ahead and removed this half of the rear vertical closing wall as part of the clean and prep. Its completely shot and needs replacing anyway.

Name:	Achassis657.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	26722
                      As I cleaned and pried the remnant steel from that flange I knocked off a big chunk of scale from the top of this tube exposing more cancer. Another extra chore before I can close this up; this is exactly why severely rusty cars are so annoying to work on!!!!!!!!!!

Name:	Achassis656.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	26723
                      Still have strip out the upper portion of that mount flange but I'm going to paper templates for now.

Name:	Achassis659.JPG
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	26724
                      Slowly getting the pattern I need...

Name:	Achassis661.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	26725
                      Onto metal... This remnant section was almost perfect. The mount flange came up a bit short but I can add that on.

Name:	Achassis662.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	26726
                      trial fitments and tweaks begin.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Part 2

Name:	Achassis668.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	26728
                        A drop in voltage on my welder, a lot finessing of the trigger to try and beat the holes that were trying to grow ever larger and a real test of my patience... but I did get them all closed in the end.

Name:	Achassis669.JPG
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	26729
                        In process of removing the remaining vertical which is "sandwiched" between these two outer flanges.

Name:	Achassis670.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	26730
                        Removed and clean; almost ready for the new wall..

Name:	Achassis671.JPG
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	26731
                        New panel is really getting close. The "half-moon" markings is where I have to dome it a little to get the proper contour with the original section.

Name:	Achassis672.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	26732
                        I can start stitching this in tomorrow. Since I am not repairing this chassis in the order it was built I'll have to leave that vertical flange loose for now. At long last I'm just about ready to close this longitudinal up! Thanks for reading this! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 9/21/13
                          The corner and last perimeter repair section for this left side now installed.

Name:	Achassis675.JPG
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	26762
                          All stitched in. Again that rear seam stays open for now until I can get the new vertical wall section in between these two flanges as originally done.

Name:	Achassis674.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	26763
                          Spent the rest of this session tying up loose ends along the entire repair seam. Finished the weld and final shape around the heater tube opening.

Name:	Achassis673.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	26764

Name:	Achassis678.JPG
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	26765
                          Still have to install a small patch panel where the perimeter kit could not reach.

Name:	Achassis676.JPG
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	26766
                          With this done I'll flip the chassis back over and begin sealing it in anticipation of finally closing this side up. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,
                            This is really fun to watch. Tremendously complicated to fix all this stuff and get the car right, but you are making it look very easy! Much of this is precisely the repairs I got into with 104006, but you are much more confident than I was, and move along much faster. Keep up the good work.
                            DG

Comment

• Justin,

Great work and yes, I presume constant work fabricating and welding, makes you get more done than most would ever think possible in the time. Practice makes perfect they say but, don't tell you how tiring and frustrating it can be getting there. The guys who recently purchased a 356 ( e-bay )from a 90 year old guys estate and after looking at the car original but left in a barn ( I think roofless) joined DDK a few weeks ago. I told them just go to your site look at restorations and its better than any 356 book. Keep on saying it but it is. Trouble is Justin, you make it look easy and it isn't.

Three of them bought the car and hope to make some money after restoring it I would say its in a much worse state than the chassis you are working on here. Also it seems even you can not establish the amount of work required till you open it all up.

I wonder how they will get on?

Really interesting as usual this thread.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks a lot David! I am really glad that you are enjoying the photos. While I try to make them detailed I of course cannot relay all the frustration, time, and struggle that it took to get to the next photo frame. You know exactly what I'm talking about...BTW when are going to get back to work on your cars?

Thank you again Roy I appreciate you promoting this thread that way! As I mentioned above the photo sequence does make it appear deceptively quick and easy. Nothing could be further from the truth and you are correct I cannot really convey that aspect of it in the pics. I suppose I could whine more during my commentary but no one really wants to read that. Your statement reminds me of the Saturday/Sunday TV programs like Hot rod TV. They make engine swaps and upgrades appear to be so easy and hassle free. They of course edit out all the time spent wrestling with a rusty/stripped bolt and all the knuckle scraping it took to finally get it free; just one of many challenges you'll encounter of course. Like the saying "if it can go wrong it certainly will". (most of the time) My sympathies to your guys on the DDK, especially if the car is rustier than what I'm dealing with! If this is their first experience my guess is they'll experience tons frustration and will have no choice but to make their mistakes and learn. Best of luck to them though! I Cannot imagine dealing with a car rustier than this one. At that stage you've almost got nothing to weld to and what is there is very pitted with little tensile strength left in it. In my world that would strictly be a donor for a full tube chassis hot rod.
                                Thanks again you guys, its always greatly appreciated!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X