• Show
Clear All

• Thanks Per, I really appreciate it!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis4591.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	81500
    Oh no, Like the rear skins before this is all just a rough dress rehearsal to give me a chance to figure out what's what and how to move forward.

It is looking more and more like a real car so close and yet so far...
    Thanks again Per!

Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• 11/1/16
      I've been pressed for free time so these entries are about a week old.

Hood remounted for a test fit against the nose panel.

Name:	acoupst018.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	81580
      On this initial try it gapped out surprisingly well against the hood.

Name:	acoupst017.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	81581
      First noticeable issue is that the lower skirt doesn't seem to hang down far enough as the bracket mounts are clearly still visible. To be determined if the panel just needs to come down or was made a little too thin???

Name:	acoupst016.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	81584
      One more shot of that issue.

Name:	acoupst019.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	81582
      My OG reference shows where the leading edge should be in relation to the bracket mounts.

Name:	acoupst015.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	81583
      Again at least the initial fit against the hood was nice.

Name:	acoupst021.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	81585
      Fitment against the inner closing wall was still no better.

Name:	acoupst022.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	81586
      The original shows a very nice uniform fit to skin just under the trough.

Name:	acoupst020.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	81587
      Its going to take some doing before I achieve that kind of fitment between these two; all the while holding the skin in the correct "sweet spot".

Name:	Achassis6280.JPG
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	81588
      Again being that I've never done this before It became a bit overwhelming that day. Eventually my mind came back to "hood latch". Get the hood mechanism functioning and build out from there. That calmed the water and got my head clear again. Next step was to harvest the original mount from the old wall. Small bites...
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Yes Justin, that hood latch can become a ' datum ' I guess. everything does revolve around that lid closure. With so much not at the moment matching up, I would think its very hard to get your head round it sometimes.

Roy

Comment

• That's the thought that occurred to me too Roy. Paramount is the hood latching properly first then move outward from the there.

11/4/16

Name:	acoupst060.JPG
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	81673
          Harvest time. Notice all the bullet holes; none of which touched the drain tube, latch bracket or any other vital organ.

Name:	acoupst058.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	81674
          Someone deliberately poked a muzzle into this hole and shot around all the components.

Name:	acoupst059.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	81675
          They all exit outward so I'm thinking somebody used a pistol to perform body work. Probably to knockout a high and tight dent in the original nose? Just a theory of course.

Name:	acoupst068.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	81676
          Begin locating it on that lip next.

Name:	acoupst057.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	81677
          Again, fortunate to have original references.

Before I broke the front end back down I took a series of mock up shots to check for oval shape, presentation and to just plain motivate me over the hump and take the next step on building this front end. Here's a few that I took.

Name:	acoupst030.JPG
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	81678
          Wanted to see this front end with the hood on.

Name:	acoupst032.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	81679
          That's the proper "speedster" resting hood height that I'd been obsessing over.

Name:	acoupst033.JPG
Views:	89
ID:	81680
          Added the drivers door to check for general and overall body lines.

Name:	acoupst034.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	81681
          Looking like a believable old upside down bathtub more and more.

Name:	acoupst036.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	81682
          rear fender joint is fugly I know but its not finished yet. Lots more welding, picking and filing still to come.

Name:	acoupst039.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	81683
          Didn't want to stop there, had to see it with the a W/S frame and a top.

Name:	acoupst040.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	81684
          I just love how the hood lays low in relation to the windshield and top.

Name:	acoupst041.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	81685

Name:	acoupst042.JPG
ID:	81686

Name:	acoupst043.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	81687
          few more with lids open

Name:	acoupst048.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	81688
          Front fenders seem to contour nicely right from the start. I'm actually holding out some hope that it will go smoother than the rear did.

Name:	acoupst046.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	81689

Name:	acoupst107.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	81690
          Fun and reinvigorating while it lasted but...back to work.
          Thanks for looking through all of these.
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin
            Ref. hood latch mounting bracket. IMO, you want that latch, thus bracket to be 90 degrees to the striker. If you can get a long straight edge back to the hinge pivot, it should lay flush on the mounting plate. The latch design is very unique, in that both catches must engage the striker. If things are not square, one catch will engage before the other and you will think you are fully latched but you aren't. I show this way back on my thread. Could be why so many hoods flew open, and as Jack pointed out back then, the secondary catch on the T6 is not the best. Maybe the A is better - I know my PreA was. I had to do a lot of forming on that inner nose to get it to line up with the outer skin when I repaired that area.

Phil

Comment

• Thanks Phil, True enough, this is just the repeating theme of getting each side to engage fully and mesh evenly in relation to one another; like the door strikers and deck lid latch before.

11/6/16

Name:	acoupst087.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	81743
              Latch was set in its most neutral position on the hood and the lower mechanism was set the same in the base. This affords me any needed lateral adjustment down the road. Latch and mechanism where then fully engaged in a "relaxed state" pictured above.

Name:	acoupst088.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	81744
              Hood was then lowered down to let them decided and tell me where base needs to be perched on lower closing wall flange.

Name:	acoupst089.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	81745
              Once found I realized I needed to repair the lower flanges lip that had long rusted away.

Name:	acoupst090.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	81746
              Lip added and now set screwed into position.

Name:	acoupst057.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	81748
              I second guessed myself and these parts by referring back to this original example and spaced the lower mounting point closer to it. A mistake.

Name:	acoupst092.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	81747
              You can see here that the approach angle of the stud is just a touch too steep.

Name:	acoupst093.JPG
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	81749
              It still managed to engaged and latched but once I tried to release it The stud's shoulder caught a corner and became rim rocked and would not disengage. Fortunately by figuring out all this now I had easy access to get at the bolts holding the base. I would have been screwed if the closing wall was there.

Name:	acoupst094.JPG
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	81750
              dismounted the lower base lip and re-engaged the mechanism once again then lowered down as before so they could establish the sweet spot for smooth and aligned contact position. The base was moved inward about 2mm. It was a reminder that while its good to refer and shoot for factory specs; in the end they just have to be able to work together properly.

Name:	acoupst096.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	81751
              Still some wiggle room up top until I get the wall in but its now located and at least half way mounted.

Name:	acoupst098.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	81752
              Aside from that upper lip the wall seems to line up with it pretty well for starters.

Name:	acoupst100.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	81753
              Hood fully latched with wall slid under into place. A great relief to have a working mechanism.

Name:	acoupst105.JPG
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	81754
              Again these entries are still over a week old so coming up next will be the fender braces and buckets.
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	peters51356.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	81762

Roy

Comment

• Re hood hinges. Justin, I'm going to beg to disagree that Speedster,D,Roadster have unique low hanging hinges. In my experience, and I have seen mismatch/changed/repaired dozens, there are only two types: early and late for all body styles (preA excepted). I gave Trevor a little clinic a few years ago and he posted pics here:
                  http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30400&sid=4a41783e0fd8da7000c2118bd0e45240&start=15
                  The major difference in hood elevation is in the hinge pockets. Don't be temped to use late for early or visa versa. Pocket width suffers. BTW, it's always best to operate the hood in its full stroke before changing direction. Changing direction in mid stroke is the #1 cause for hinge ratchet failure, particularly on early hinges with the thick star.
                  Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Hey Jack,
                    Far be it for me to question your many years of hands on experience with these cars; the following is just a recap of what the cars & parts available are telling me.

Name:	Achassis1737.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	81901
                    Agree, the locking mechanism hole in the hinge boss is punched lower on a Speedster. These coupe bosses where modified.

Name:	Achassis2580.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	81902
                    The modification was paper templated from this OG '57 reference car.

Name:	Achassis1739.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	81903
                    I was sure the difference was only in the bosses too. With my 20/20 hindsight I shoulda-coulda went an additional width of the bolt yet again solving the issue but that's not what that original Speedster was showing.

Name:	Achassis6293.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	81904
                    Matching pair of early (heavy gauge mechanisms)hinges where mounted...

Name:	Achassis6291.JPG
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	81905
                    Even after the hinge boss modification, no question the hood was still resting too high.

Name:	Achassis6306.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	81906
                    I spoke with my friend about this development and asked him to look through his box of hinges so I could confirm what he had once told me. Out came this red pair that were removed from a car back in the 80's. They are unmodified and from a time when it still wasn't en vogue to build your own speedster. The difference was more than subtle.

Name:	acoupst034.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	81907
                    A new version pair was modified to match the red ones...problem solved. This hood seems to match up pretty close with this old factory photo below.

Name:	bbspdtr1148_2016-11-10.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	81908
                    Other than deviating from what the reference car was showing me this was my only answer...
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

The situation regarding the opening height of the front lid is interesting. I looked at that speedster on the factory pic behind the coupe and thought is the scuttle any different really from coupe to speedster and that pic shows it so much lower that it could easily smack you in the head so easily filling up with fuel. I have really wondered if Porsche would have accepted that.

I then looked on line at many photos of speedsters and none show the lid angle when raised to see a comparision. Jack is correct the hinges vary from early to late so I started looking at my too large collection of Porsche books and magazines.

In a book detialing road tests of new 356 models found a 1958 Speedster GT road test when the car was new. One black and white photo shows the lid in the up position. The position looks exactly like my 1959 A.

Of course I needed more and have seen one other that seems the same.

Someone on here must have a speedster to advise. But even with your factory shot I do begin to wonder???

I could always photo the pic I have.

Roy

Comment

• Justin,

Further to my entry yesterday, I glanced this morning at one of my books 'Porsche cars 1552 -1956.

On page 58 a road test from ' Sports cars illustrated for June 1956. So it shows the road test for a Speedster 1600. T1 I guess.

Bottom of the page a photo of the front lid in the raised position to show the space for luggage. The view shows the lid in the low position just like the factory photo you put on Justin.

So... Jack says all cars coupe of speedster were the same. Is it possible by 1958 when I saw the photo yesterday of a speedster with tge lid in the higher position the factory changed design?

More and more interesting !

I could possibly photo this black and white one I will try.

Roy

Comment

• Justin,

This is the 1956 speedster with which I would say has a far lower hood opening than my 356A coupe.

Name:	2016_1138annabelle356hood011.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	81984

Roy

Comment

• Justin,

Two photos to show the height of a 356A T2 lid.

Name:	2011_1025wyl8insurance006.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	81986

Name:	2011_1026jacktoolkit002.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	81987

Looking at that speedster photo you could not get my grandson then about 9 years old sitting on the petrol tank.

You must get that lid height correct Justin now before paint. Maybe you need more photos as Jack has such a good memory. T1 cars were rare though I guess compared to T2.

Roy

Comment

• You must get that lid height correct Justin now before paint. Maybe you need more photos as Jack has such a good memory. T1 cars were rare though I guess compared to T2.

Roy

I'm done Roy, that was dialed in over a week ago. Thanks for the additional detective work and confirmation BTW.
                              It isn't a T1 or T2 detail but rather a Coupe/Cabriolet to Speedster/roadster difference.

Name:	carrera947.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	81990
                              T1 coupe showing same resting height as your car.

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaa12_RoadsterReadyForTheShow_2016-11-12.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	81991
                              Dick's T5 Roadster with lower resting height though maybe a touch higher than speedster. Might be just the photo angle.

Name:	bbspdste1145.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	81992
                              One more old factory pic courtesy of Bruce Baker for direct comparison. Note the dark blue coupe's hood height.
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,
                                Sorry for my late reply.....
                                I was down to Hamburg and went by Prototyp again to look at some Nice Porsches.

The 1958 Speedster gap we have here is IF you put "the Stanley" from upper lid in open position down to the front opening is 26,5" ....YES it is in Inches It was easier for me to remember.
                                My Digital angle meter was at home...so no angle to give you today.
                                JOP

Comment

Working...
                                X