No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't forget to switch the heater/shifter locations.
    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Geeee Amigo,
      I am really impressed at your craftmanship! Keep up the good work. I still haven't jumped into doing my battery floor and floor because I have been too busy with other stuff. Hopefully soon I will visit you and get some pointers.
      Tony
      "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

• The ubiquitous perimeter angle pieces save the day again!
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Absolutely Jack, its on the list of about a half-dozen other things that need to be addressed. We are going backwards a bit by changing its position but we want all the details to be right.

Hey Tony, Thanks! I really need to speak with you about several things concerning the drivetrain on my coupe. I'll give a call for sure.

You called it John, is there anything that stuff can't fix on a rusted chassis?

6/20/14
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis1557.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	44572
          First new section cut to final height, clamped and about ready for a tack weld.

Name:	Achassis1558.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	44573
          Since the original lower flanges of that tunnel are completely gone I had to reference the one in my coupe. It was a bit tricky to finally establish the correct overall height for the rusty one. The measurements would vary ever so slightly across this run so I took the best average measurement and went with that.

Name:	Achassis1561.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	44574
          New section tacked on here and of course all the original lap joints will be replicated.

Name:	Achassis1559.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	44575
          Very straight forward from here now that the replacement flange height has been established with this new piece. All I need to do now is keep the rest of the sections level and square with this one. This part looked like pure junk to me yesterday but an amazing transformation happened the second this new section was glued on; feeling much more hopeful about it now. More tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Looks good. I've got the same issue with mine: no original reference line. What measurement did you end up going with?
            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Justin
              You should apply to Guiness for the "worlds longest butt weld". Like you, I would have been checking out available repro tunnels first after seeing what that looked like.

Phil

Comment

• "You called it John, is there anything that stuff can't fix on a rusted chassis?"

Nope, it should read "Is there anything that Justin can't fix".

I continue to be amazed!

Happy welding!
                DG

Comment

• Thanks John! I ended up adding in 2 1/4 inches to regain the correct height. I could give you the correct overall height of an A-version tunnel but I would highly recommend asking Phil, Tom or David to measure their cars as B/C tunnels are different from an A tunnel. They might be the same height but I would want to be sure.

Phil, the new repro-tunnels I have seen tend to be a bit pricey; about in the 900.00 range so I had to try and save this one. You have me sort of curious as to how many feet I have butt-welded to repair all of the lower flanges. I'll have to rough measure once this stage is over.

Thanks a lot David, but I don't do anything that you guys can't do.

6/21/14
                  Tunnel repair continued

Name:	Achassis1564.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	44630
                  Getting ready to tack in the final run of the right side forward flange.

Name:	Achassis1566.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	44631
                  Piece tacked and the tunnel in for its first test fit.

Name:	Achassis1567.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	44632
                  So far so good...

Name:	Achassis1569.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	44633
                  This left side forward section requires a bit more shaping work due to the gas pedal and foot recess for the driver. oh yea, got the main left side flange repair section tacked on too.

Name:	Achassis1568.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	44634
                  A quick look at my coupes original shows how it was done. (I would be sunk without this car for reference) Notice that the mounting flange is considerably wider along this recessed area; More support I assume. I'll go ahead and replicate this detail as well.

Name:	Achassis1571.JPG
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	44635
                  Tomorrows chore. Thanks for looking! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• 6/22/14
                    Left forward flange repair.

Name:	Achassis1572.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	44667
                    Trickiest part of this flange repair so I wanted to get it completely finished this afternoon.

Name:	Achassis1574.JPG
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	44668
                    Forward mount flange tapers wide as it did originally.

Name:	Achassis1575.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	44669
                    In for yet another test fit.

Name:	Achassis1577.JPG
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	44670
                    so nice to have this section all welded up an finished.

Name:	Achassis1579.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	44671
                    Finishing out the remaining flange repair sections tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice progress and work Justin. Did not realize repops cost so much for the tunnel. Will be nice to have one more piece fixed soon.

Phil

Comment

• Thanks Phil, you know as well as anyone how nice it is to begin getting repairs over to the done column.

6/24/14
                        Rearward flange repair section.
                        Turns out I have a bit more shaping repair to do other than that last forward section I just finished.

Name:	Achassis1590.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	44765
                        The triangulated bent tips at the end are another detail I'd have to copy. Thankfully I have this original out of my coupster project floating around loose.

Name:	Achassis1593.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	44766
                        Cardboard template in for a final fit before moving onto metal.

Name:	Achassis1594.JPG
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	44767
                        In metal. For this section I went with 20 gauge as the original is closer to this thickness and its a lot easier to shape. You'll notice the bend for the mount flange is much less sharp than the forward sections.

Name:	Achassis1595.JPG
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	44768
                        Test fitment before final trimming.

Name:	Achassis1597.JPG
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	44769
                        New section trimmed and am now establishing the cut line on the tunnel.

Name:	Achassis1599.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	44770
                        Welding almost complete but in for a mock up. I cut the bottom flange a bit short but will correct it before its over. Moving on to make the right side tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin
                          Your are really getting good at cranking out those repair sections. After spending 6 hours yesterday pulling Foamcar's transaxle I was thinking to myself what I could have done in 6 hours working on the sheet metal. Always thought I liked the mechanical stuff better, but pulling that dirty greasy trans was no fun.
                          Phil

Comment

• Thanks Phil! I think the mechanical work will provide a good beak in the monotony over this long stretch of steel repair you've been doing. Once you get tired of grease under your fingernails you'll probably welcome a little welding and so on.

6/26/14
                            Finishing up tunnel flange replacement.

Name:	Achassis1600.JPG
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	44872
                            Last of the flange sections completed and just about ready to tack weld here.

Name:	Achassis1602.JPG
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	44873
                            Fully welded and finished section

Name:	Achassis1604.JPG
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	44874
                            In for another test fit.

Name:	Achassis1603.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	44875
                            Went ahead and finished up the welding on the other side too this afternoon. Just have finish up that long weld run on both sides next.

Name:	Achassis1605.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	44876
                            Up next will be to fabricate new tunnel conduits for the clutch, heater and Parking brake cables.

Name:	Achassis1606.JPG
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	44877
                            As you can see these are shot as well.

Name:	Achassis095.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	44878
                            When I slid the cables out these worms of grease exposed breaches everywhere. Thanks for looking! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Great progress on the tunnel. Since it will never be seen, has anyone ever used pvc for the conduits?
                              Phil

Comment

• Now thats a thought Phil, Justin, its items like that rusting through you just don't think about till you find them. Its the time too in sorting it. Nice work!

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X