Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/url.php on line 207 Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/url.php on line 254 Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in .../vb5/route.php on line 1630 1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625 - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR70
    replied
    Hinge base set completing the lower door well repairs except for the eventual threshold.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1655.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	114998 Seam welding up the leading edge all but completing this reinstallation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.8 KB ID:	115000 Almost done just have to add in the bottom inch of the seal channel that mounted against the base.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1657.jpg Views:	4 Size:	184.5 KB ID:	114999Seal channel section added back on. Welds dressed with a gas weld detail added to the closing wall's edge as found originally. Done in here for now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1663.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.8 KB ID:	115001 Door remounted for another test fit to confirm nothing changed dramatically after all the welding and heat.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-26-2024, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Lower hinge base install:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	114992 Sight marked the base back into its original position as closely as possible using drill marks and edge breaks where I had cut it free. Makeshift holding jig making sure its surface is running parallel with the upper mount. Ready for a tack weld and then a door test before a final stitching.

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	114993 Initial door test fit.

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	114994 Pretty close but after a bit of wrestling, adjusting and readjusting the door now sits right at the edge of the flange.

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	114995 Rear gap is okay but closes down towards the bottom. I've reskinned this door so between all the repairs to both the closing panel and the car itself the fitment just changed. Adjustments have to be made as it goes back together. The most critical issue for right now was that the top edge of the door carried on into the quarter window opening. Well within range.

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	114996 Last little confirmation was that the original hole in the lower base still lined up with the cover plate. As close as I can get it; Ready for final welding.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much once again my friend! Yes, had I not needed to remove the fender and exposed that area clearly I may not have seen it but a clean repair would have been extremely difficult with the skin still capping the area. The repair was tough enough with the limited access I did have. The reality Roy is that all of these old cars still have rust lurking somewhere. My "rust free desert car still has some and this car will still have rust somewhere down deep when its all over. All those untouched factory lap joints still have rust lurking in between and so do the frame's deep in the recesses in and around the rear torsion areas. Its just the nature of the beast. I've described all these old cars as Cancer survivors in only partial remission. No matter how nicely repaired the owners all must take care to limit their exposure to any moisture. Thanks again Sir! Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-26-2024, 05:24 PM.

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Justin what a session of work you have had these past few days. I have always disliked these hidden areas of panels you cannot see or touch. I have wondered many times looking at fully restored 356 cars just how many have the same rusty panels you have found. Likewise mine are original and although my car has not seen rain hardly at all since the mid 70's and not that much from the late 60's when I did drive it often I still wonder. Looking in the front hood compartment all the sides of mine still have the original factory covering so you cannot see rust damage. All of it though is really sound no sign of damage at all.

You have the right approach to attend to this Justin. I just hope you advise the owner it has to be done and this car needs those repairs. I think you are doing so well its not easy. Even having to realign door hinges all these jobs take time. I have never seen before photo's of these panel repairs that have rusted out. Books are okay and helpful but his session of yours is something else Justin. As I have said before to even photo everything you are doing and then fully explain your methods of repair on here are really special. ( actually they are exceptional )

Keep smiling

Roy

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	114984 Everything is built around the closing panel so I've got to finish remounting this left door first.

Name:	IMG_1643.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	114985 I got tired of working down in this corner so left this loose end some time ago and moved onto the floor installation. No choice but to finish up this repair now.

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	114986 My final frustration in here was that my weld joint closed up and began over lapping right down in the corner. Using a hacksaw blade here to rat tail file it back open for a butt-weld.

Name:	IMG_1645.jpg
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	114987 Very trying to both weld and finish grind down in here but its done. Also wrapped up the upper corner of the longitudinal area under the eventual hinge mount.

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	114988 Finally adding the hinge mount back on. Locating back into its original position.

More later...
    Thanks for looking!

Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1599.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	114978 If this panel was free I could have messaged the shape back out on my work table but with it mounted access to the back is limited so it was faster and cleaner to install a new one. Cored out the old with my step-bit and cut out a donor from an old dead panel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1636.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.8 KB ID:	114979 Embossment installed. Again, wouldn't have worried about it if it was up higher but its always visible.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.2 KB ID:	114980 turned my attention towards left fender's leading rear edge. Wanted to see how much if any of it I could save.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1638.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.4 KB ID:	114981 after some wire wheeling it became apparent that it made no sense to save any of this run even though the rust had not gone completely through. Too pitted and weak to save.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1641.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	114982 So with that here is the left side jigsaw puzzle I'm putting together now.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-24-2024, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1589.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.1 KB ID:	114972 New channel fabrication went a little quicker as I had my hammer forms were ready from making the other side.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1592.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.1 KB ID:	114973 New channel installed completing this repair.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1591.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.0 KB ID:	114974 Original seal is petrified so will have to come up with a suitable replacement.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1596.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.3 KB ID:	114975 Cleaning and moving down the panel. Some minor pin holes cropped up as the heavy scale was removed along the flange. These will be easily closed up with my torch. Though pitted this flange itself is reusable.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1598.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.8 KB ID:	114976 This lower embossed shape has been deformed from previous repair work. If it was higher up I wouldn't worry about it but its always visible in the wheel well so it needs a little cosmetic help.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Upper closing wall repair:

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	114966 Rotted upper flange run of this main closing wall cut loose.

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	114967 Recycling more of this cars original metal for the new repair section.

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	114968 Flanged over and new section tacked into position.

Name:	IMG_1586.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	114969 All welded in with splash pan reattached closing out the door well once again.

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	114970 Inside view shows the lap joint/flap as found originally.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Another rust repair detour:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1520.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.4 KB ID:	114960 Began removing that cancered out inner flange run. Lots of heavy rust scale down in there.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1524.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.9 KB ID:	114961 Once the scale began coming loose it revealed the rot had also gone through the main wall as well...F*&*K! Rarely is it ever easy.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.5 KB ID:	114962 A view from inside the door well. There were no obvious signs of this breach in here before I started messing with it. Glad it was discovered now before the fender skin went back over the top of this area. This area would have bubbled up shortly after final paint I have no doubts.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1523.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	114963 I also have a few more small breaches to patch down deeper just above the speaker housing. Little repairs like these almost seem endless and can try your patience.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1580.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.7 KB ID:	114964 Began drilling and detaching the splash pan from this rotted portion in preparation for cutting and removal.

More on this coming up.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-23-2024, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Splash pan clean up and prep:

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	114954 Before I can even think about mounting or refitting fenders I have address the panels they mount directly onto. Begin cleaning up this right side first by removing the remains of the rusted out skin section to see how much if any of the pans mounting flange is savable.

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	114955 Skin section cut free

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	114956 Heavily rust pitted but will see whats left of it after an acid bath.

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	114957 While the right side soaked I began clean up on the left side panel.

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	114958 Once I started really looking at it I finally noticed that the inner seal mounting flange was rusted through and swollen. I had already replaced the right side so I already had a plan to fabricate this piece.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.3 KB ID:	114948 Taken the nose about as far as I can. Onto introducing the fenders to confirm the flow and fitment from them to the nose; and with the edges of the latched hood. Alot going on at once.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1530.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.6 KB ID:	114949 Out of the gate the right side is a natural transition.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1573.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.1 KB ID:	114950 The left side by contrast needs a bit adjustment. This side also leans back about 5 degrees too much as my angle finder confirms. These are all the variables I want figured out before I commit to welding the nose on.

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	114951 Before the fender refitment can go forward I have to repair the rearward flange and the splash panel it mounts to.

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	114952 Prefab repair sections will need shaping ,trimming then welding. While I'm at it all that old crash damage will also need to be ironed out. Again a lot going on.
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-22-2024, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Roy, Yes that seal changes both the gap and the hoods height in relation to the edges of the fenders. Its thickness is a huge factor on how the hood will ultimately sit on there in the latched position.

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Justin I had the original factory hood seal on my car for about 14 years or more till I decided to buy a new one . You have said a number of times how a new seal can upset the hood gap. How true that is. It was only after trying the new one in the 70's did I start to realise you have to make adjustments to get the gap perfect as it was with the old one.

Roy

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.6 KB ID:	114940 Followed that long weld around the lip up with my torch to thoroughly fuse the added backfill strips and to anneal the harder MIG welds for final hammer work and shaping.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1566.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.7 KB ID:	114941 Begin introducing the trunk seal. Its thickness adds in the next curve ball for final gap and fitment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1569.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.3 KB ID:	114942 There is some load in there but I was at least able to get it to latch the first time out. The gap has widened on this initial fitment but lots of adjustment as it goes still ahead.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1570.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	114943 I can make up any unwanted width with lead. At this point, too wide is much simpler to remedy than too tight.

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	114944 As the backside of this panel can always be seen I added in a Faux clamp strip for the emblem. Speed clips would be used anyway but this strip helps create an original appearance when its on the lift.
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-21-2024, 05:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Roy! Good eye, Looks like I mocked up two Right sides. Just have to flip it over and move the thread plate to the other side to create a left side.
Working...
X