Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/25/18
    Begin Harvesting right rocker assembly.
    Going to repair and re-use the original rockers so I began melting the lead at the factory joints. Of course some surprises awaited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6888s.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	98734
    Knew the leading edge was rusty but once the lead was removed it wasn't as good as I thought.

Name:	IMG_6889.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	98735
    A big volume of lead came out here so this hole was leaded shut some time back.

Name:	IMG_6890.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	98736
    Removing the lead at the rear joint.

Name:	IMG_6891.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	98737
    So far so good

Name:	IMG_6892.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	98738
    until I turned the corner. My initial intent was to leave as much of the original lead work as possible but my confidence in it is really being shaken. I'm now worried what lurks underneath the rest of this run.

Name:	IMG_6895.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	98739
    spot welds and seam welds broken as removal continues tomorrow.
    Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• What Justin, you dont like suprises
      It is really nice to see untouched metalwork on a 356... I mean like your rockers with werk weldings...then that somone added some lead later but that you still can trail back to day one of the 356 making
      Thx
      JOP

Comment

• Justin,

I just wonder how many 356 cars have large rust holes under lead? As you say, you do think doesn't look so bad at all and probably would it stay that way for a long time, until you just have to find out what's under that lead. ( Many would have left it alone )

I somehow think, you were not that surprised at all to see the hole.

Roy

Comment

• Lead is applied by tinning the steel for bonding. That induces an acid into bare metal, but that rarely causes the rust under the lead filler. It's the overlaps that begin the rusting process as moisture infiltrates through or around the asphaltic undercoating (especially as it dries and shrinks, cracks and flakes) and the untreated, un-primed bare steel begins to revert to iron oxide from the back side. Nature's way.

Lead is there much longer than the steel it's on as long as it's perimeter is still there. For fun and posted before, I like to save the lead as it is melted off the 356 and then smelt it and shavings saved from repair into a bar to be used again on the 356's new repairs or replacements.

If it do that and the same things happens again in another 50 or 60-some years from now.....it can be guaranteed I will not notice...anything.

-Bruce

Comment

• Bruce, Justin et al: beyond the issues of lead toxicity, how does the metal body solder available today compare to the stuff applied in the days of yore, such as what Justin in pulling off this coupe? Any better or worse, or just a bit different? Thanks, John

Comment

• John, I have seen/noted/sensed changes in the ingredients since the negative press began and 'real' lead was compromised. Some say there are sources that can sell the real 70/30 and there are others who have tried to push "non-lead" lead. I get bars from a recycler in Philly that seem to work well. He gets his lead from batteries and yet doesn't reveal the sources of his tin. I find the saving and reusing of the original works best and "if it was good enough for Porsche, it's good enough for us."

That all said, most problems and 'issues' with lead are from "operator error." The right flux, the right mix of ingredients and the patience and rhythm of the heating and paddling are all key to success. It is a difficult art to master. If that doesn't work after some practice, plastic filler is a better bet. The good ol' boys called everything that filled a low area "cheating" anyway.

Use leather gloves, wash hands before eating and wear a respirator and all other protective gear and one can be fairly safe from lead's toxicity.
              -Bruce

Comment

• I like Pleasant surprises Per.

Most of that run has gone through with tiny holes along the edge Roy so I knew I'd be replacing most if not all of it but since the car has already been through media blast I got caught in kind of a lull believing I've seen all the cancer that this car has to offer. Problem is the lead holds up well under this process so once its melted out a few more of her dark secrets are revealed. Now I'm a little concerned about what could be lurking under the rest of that old lead.

Thanks Bruce! I do and have taken those precautions in the past. Also fortunate enough for me that I don't deal or work with it on a regular basis.

John, I buy the 70/30 lead/Tin sticks from Eastwood. A few guys here have used the lead-free version which BTW is a bit more money than the 70/30 version. I've had great results with 70/30 so I'll keep with what has worked. Only problem is they go fast and before you know it you have to order more.

3/30/18
                Right Rocker nearly out.

Name:	IMG_6910.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	99056
                Trying to preserve this rocker so carefully harvesting. Zipping it just ahead of the lap joint here. The inner pan its attached to is of course shot so trying to keep all the cutting to the bad side.

Name:	IMG_6911.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	99057
                A few years back I would have been scared to cut through those wire lips but with the coupster experience its not so scary.

Name:	IMG_6912.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	99058
                Cutting it ahead of the lap joint to the fender side and will add a new section on when it comes time to reinstall.

Name:	IMG_6913.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	99059
                Cut free at the lower hinge boss. Attached in a lot of places.

Name:	IMG_6914.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	99060
                Seam welds along the threshold split. Sooo thank full they didn't spot weld the rocker flange here; this is so much easier.

Name:	IMG_6916.JPG
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	99061
                All that remains now are several gas welds deep in the corners which will be tricky to cut without hacking into the rocker itself. Anyway should have this free by tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/1/18

Right rocker out.

Name:	IMG_6919.JPG
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	99188
                  Finally got the last of the connective tissue severed for a full removal.

Name:	IMG_6921.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	99189
                  Extracted with almost all of the edges and corners intact.

Name:	IMG_6922.JPG
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	99190
                  It will need some lovin' but its still a solid savable piece overall.

Name:	IMG_6920.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	99191
                  Remains of the upper longitudinal run exposed for removal

Name:	IMG_6923.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	99192
                  Clipped and just need to grind and peel the remaining flange next.

Name:	IMG_6924.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	99193
                  The rust in and around the conduit runs deep.

Name:	IMG_6925.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	99194
                  A look inside shows how far the cancer goes.

Name:	IMG_6929.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	99195
                  While assessing continued it became clear that the lower hinge boss will have to come out.

Name:	IMG_6928.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	99196
                  The closing panel its attached to is rust out right at the foot of it

Name:	IMG_6927.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	99197
                  and in behind it. No option, to get a clean shot in behind here it needs to come off. Lots to do before this can be closed back up.

Name:	IMG_6932.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	99198
                  Begin template for the forward tray.
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

It never ceases to amaze me how area's rust out. Just as well you know how to get round all these jobs now.

Roy

Comment

• Looks like you got a number of nice reference points and landing pads for new metal. Amazing how pristine some areas are and two inches left or right you can see daylight. Makes want to twice about washing and driving in the rain when these cars are done and on the road.
                      1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                      356 Registry main thread;
                      http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                      1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• Scott, barring the apocalypse these cars won't be subject to the elements as in years past.

Its a mixed bag here Roy as a lot of the car is surprisingly well preserved like the heater conduits and the bulkhead supports. The rot on the perimeter walls does not go that high either but in the areas where it did rust out it really got advanced; Again its mixed.

Justin

4/4/18
                        Clearing things away for room to work.

Name:	IMG_6938.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	99403
                        Lower hinge boss removed for a clear shot at the rust in behind it.

Name:	IMG_6939.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	99404
                        Basic paper template done so the remains of the inner tray floor was removed next.

Name:	IMG_6943.JPG
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	99405
                        My preference would have been to save this inner closing wall as the rust was repairable in through here.

Name:	IMG_6944.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	99406
                        It only rusted out at the lap joints.

Name:	IMG_6945.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	99407
                        In the end I had to remove it for clear access to weld and dress the new inner tray section when that time comes. I'll get the remains of its spotted mount flange later.

Name:	IMG_6953.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	99408
                        While planning and assessing all of this I noticed that the OG mount flange ("X") remains here are a touch wider than the standard vendor repair offerings. I'd like to replicate that so I needed to determine if that is only in this area or the entire run.

Name:	IMG_6946r.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	99409
                        Fortunately I have this original Floor section from a 58 coupe for detail reference. As you can see it was crashed severely in the front and its got some rust in the corners but otherwise this would have been a killer drop in piece for this project as the tunnel is still with it and its otherwise very solid and its an original floor! That's too sad

Name:	IMG_6947.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	99410
                        As you can see the lower flanged wall sections are intact. Everything is here that I'm prepping to replace. again too sad....

Name:	IMG_6950.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	99411
                        Going to compare the flange width on this one to determine what I'll eventually do.

Name:	IMG_6948.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	99412
                        Note the drain holes on the lower gusset.

Name:	IMG_6949.JPG
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	99413
                        Not found on this car.

Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/6/18

Touching bottom on rust removal in the door well.

Name:	IMG_6956.JPG
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	99505
                          Last strip of rot in this area just about ready.

Name:	IMG_6958.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	99506
                          Finally past all the unsavable metal in this corner. So relieved that bulkhead around the heat tube isn't shot like on the old coupster.

Name:	IMG_6957.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	99507
                          Think I can backfill those two small holes to the right there without a patch section.

Name:	IMG_6960.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	99508
                          Back to the template for a matched shape along the vertical wall. Should have this tray in steel by tomorrow.
                          Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/8/18

New tray in steel

Name:	IMG_6974.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	99554
                            Paper template developed enough to go to metal.

Name:	IMG_6970.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	99555
                            First a rough mock up with the new longitudinal closing panel. Learned the hard way to check all of together as it goes.

Name:	IMG_6971.JPG
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	99556
                            Main concern was the flange heights from this forward in relation to the threshold flange.

Name:	IMG_6973.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	99557
                            Fun to see this closed up

Name:	IMG_6972.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	99558
                            but a ways yet to go.

Name:	IMG_6975.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	99559
                            Basic pan now in metal.

Name:	IMG_6976.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	99560
                            A lot of fine tuning but I can at least work with this piece.

Name:	IMG_6977.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	99561
                            Another check of the flanges. cockeyed at the moment but it will all change as it goes and well within striking distance.

Name:	IMG_6978.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	99562
                            Continue fine tuning tomorrow. Fresh closing panels sure brighten things up.

Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Don't you think the best thing ever invented for 356 use was the rotisserie? In this particular case you can take your time stand back and see exactly where the repair is going.So nice to see what your are doing Justin.

My car still has its original longitudinal's or actually 90% of them.
                              To repair them took me so long, car on an angle no hoist and me in the pit below. The repair still looks excellent over 40 years on but your method today looks fantastic in comparison. See the good old templates again Justin. They make life so much easier!!

Its a great thread this one just like all your others

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy! No, I could not imagine doing chassis repair on one of these cars without a rotisserie. Mixed results at best and I'd be far more inclined to cut corners to get out from under it as quickly as I could.
                                Thanks again!
                                Justin

4/9/18
                                Fine fitment

Name:	IMG_6979.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	99573
                                Bending and tapering to improve the fit.

Name:	IMG_6980.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	99574
                                Had to taper the end and weld the corner to get the right approach angle.

Name:	IMG_6981.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	99575
                                Tapper allowed the needed forward movement to seat in even and tight. Will add that slight step detail at the leading edge before its over.

Name:	IMG_6982.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	99576
                                New pan section is pretty much ready to go.

Name:	IMG_6985.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	99577
                                Begin making the secondary closing wall.

Name:	IMG_6986.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	99578
                                Making sure Flange width and other details replicated.

Name:	IMG_6984r.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	99579
                                Make one in metal tomorrow.
                                Thanks for looking!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X