1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moin Justin,

Looks kind of rusty....but atleast you can reach it at a good angle and you are already in the neighbor hood anyway doing repairs
    And you have good experiance from earlier repairs
    Thx 4 showing us
    JOP

Comment

• Justin,

Rust never ceases to amaze me. Just how many 356 cars are running around with all that work needing doing?
      Great thread.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Per! As I am in the neighborhood I 've gone a little deeper than I expected but as you say I'm here so now is the time to get it all.

Its just the nature of the beast Roy. I didn't go this far on my coupe as it wasn't breached with rot but it certainly has its share of mature dark brown rust like this down in there somewhere. As long as the structural integrity remains which I believe it does then its nothing to worry about as long as it stays dry.(which it will) Out of sight, out of mind. Thanks again!
        Justin

5/10/18

Touching bottom with this corner repair.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7356.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	100671
        While planning out this most inner flanged wall I did want to replicate the details like this stepped overlap.

Name:	IMG_7357.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	100672
        However this rust hole was really beginning worry me as I wanted to know what the rest of it looked like beneath this flange.

Name:	IMG_7358.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	100673
        Just couldn't leave it so I cut that overlap flange to find out.

Name:	IMG_7359.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	100674
        Much to my relief not a whole lot. The wall just ends with no attachment between the two which was surprising but nice as it made my life a little easier.

Name:	IMG_7360.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	100675
        Getting that last overlap out of the way now gives me a clean shot at the entire section where the rot has gone through

Name:	IMG_7363.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	100676
        Wall remains carefully harvested for a pattern.

Name:	IMG_7364.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	100677
        Now past all the unsavable metal; I've officially touched bottom. Building this area back up from here.

Name:	IMG_7365.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	100678
        Making copies of all these layers next.

Name:	IMG_7366.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	100679
        Inner most flange/wall first.

Name:	IMG_7367.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	100680
        Cut to basic shape

Name:	IMG_7368.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	100681
        Fine trimming and fitment next.

Name:	IMG_7369.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	100682
        Dialing in the correct flange height. It mounts to the inside of the outermost flanged wall

Name:	IMG_7370.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	100683
        which needs to be a smooth continuation of the end of that new section I welded in earlier. Remnant flange helping to determine that here.

Name:	IMG_7371.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	100684
        Tube opening had a small lip to the inside most of the way around so one was added to my copy.

Name:	IMG_7373.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	100685
        Checking the height and fitment back here against that heavy gauge overlap from earlier.

Name:	IMG_7374.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	100686
        Then a quick check also with the next layer that will eventually go over top of those two. Everything sandwiched together as nice as I could tell.

Name:	IMG_7375.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	100687
        New repair section finally tacked in. Stitching it up the rest of the way next.

Thanks for stopping by!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• 5/11/18

Corner just about rebuilt.

Name:	IMG_7377.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	100712
          All stitched in and onto the next layer.

Name:	IMG_7378.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	100713
          I was going to make a new piece here but after a quick dunk in acid it was clear there was enough meat left to reuse. Ground back the shoulder to expose more of its lead. Spaced to compensate for cutting wheel thickness.

Name:	IMG_7379.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	100714
          Back into original position.

Name:	IMG_7380.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	100715
          Originally these two where not joined but I spotted them together for add support.

Name:	IMG_7381.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	100716
          onto the next layer

Name:	IMG_7382.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	100717
          Peeling back the shoulder a little further still just at the gas weld seam. No more trace of this section found in between so I can only assume it terminated there.

Name:	IMG_7383.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	100718
          New section from 18 gauge cut to basic shape with saddle profile added.

Name:	IMG_7385.JPG
Views:	225
ID:	100719
          It will have to be form fit as it goes to get it all perfectly snug.

Name:	IMG_7386.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	100720
          Old with new. Though not a lot of the front remained there was just enough of a clean vertical end remaining to clue me in as to how long it was. Ready to weld.

Name:	IMG_7387.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	100721
          Started welding it at the rear then chased it forward.

Name:	IMG_7388.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	100722
          All dressed and almost fully welded. I still have to weld up the rear vertical edge but will do that before its all over.

Name:	IMG_7389.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	100723
          Onto making the final layer. This will be a bit more tricky as the opening for the tube has an embossed collar. I'll have to make a hammer form to make that detail first. That next.
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Not one, but TWO busted bolts on the torsion bar cover. Some folks just don't know when to stop. I probably would have been tempted to extract them with heat from the back side before closing up the access. Anyways, nice work as usual, Justin.
            Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• You can rework a head bolt for the torsion bar nut.
              Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Hi Justin,

I have two questions as I am concerned that I will have to tackle your exact procedure in the future.

1. What acid bath do you use? I use POR 15 Metal Prep with 6" square chamois and soak them overnight. How long do you soak your parts before working with the part?

2. Seems like you paint parts after you weld the in before the next step. Do you use a compressor and paint gun, or just a rattle can. What paint to you use>

Thanks for responding if you have time.

Tom

Comment

• Thanks a lot Jack! They went 50% on those bolts. There are two more waiting for me on the other side. Didn't peel back enough to get at any of these from behind. Several rounds of torch heat should do it. The one that has sheared off even I will get by plug welding a nut onto the end of it. The other I can get with Vise grips. At least that is the plan. I hope your 45th Party today was a success and am sorry that I missed it. Congratulations on that mile stone and thanks once again!

Tom, I just use muriatic acid. I watched you clean off your door with the system you described. I like it, next time I'm over at the farm and tractor store I'll get a gallon of it. The section I'm working on now won't be treated with anything. Can't have that acid running deep into the bowels of the chassis with no way of thoroughly neutralizing it. What I will do is run my torch over the surface as this burns and converts a lot of the heavy scale. Then I'll slop the cavity in POR 15. That's the best I'll be able to do but there should be no issues. Its solid here once again and what remains is only surface rust. I rarely use rattle can paint. I spray catalyzed paint over good epoxy surfacer with the help of my air compressor.

5/12/18
                  Begin hammer form

Name:	IMG_7394.JPG
Views:	191
ID:	100737
                  Thick heavy gauge plate I have on hand will make for the perfect base/step for the embossed collar detail. Cleaned the end of the tube so I could trace out that needed shape.

Name:	IMG_7395.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	100738
                  Paper template with the shoulder I'm looking for. Outlined on the steel and will carve it out tomorrow. A total pain in the ass but worth it as I have to do the same repair to the other side. Its a "two-fer"
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Thank you Justin for your reply.

I love this board because of all the helpful hints. I hope I can bring something to the table too.

Tom

Comment

• No Worries Tom! You definitely do and we all appreciate you being here!!

Justin

5/15/18
                      Hammer form built and first collar shaped.

Name:	IMG_7396.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	100776
                      Original tube section was small enough for my acid bath so it soaked overnight. Wish I could clean the rest of it like this but I'll have to take what I can get.

Name:	IMG_7414.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	100777
                      Hammer form cut out and shaped. Two holes were added so I could secure the work to it.

Name:	IMG_7415.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	100778
                      After a quick test with some 20 gauge I realized I needed more relief height so I added this strap stock to the back for a touch more depth.

Name:	IMG_7416.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	100779
                      Basic relief shape I hope to achieve. That thick stock was a bitch to cut out and shape so I was praying it wasn't in vain.

Name:	IMG_7419.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	100780
                      Section of 18 gauge all bolted up

Name:	IMG_7417.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	100781
                      ready to begin...

Name:	IMG_7420.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	100782
                      Started cold to get a feel for it.

Name:	IMG_7421.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	100783
                      Certainly not as forgiving as 20 gauge so the first of many rounds of heat was applied to get it to take the shoulder.

Name:	IMG_7422.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	100784
                      Basic relief shape complete. I have some lines and details still to clean up but I at least have my basic repair patch. Today was a physical one as it felt a lot like blacksmithing to get that thicker metal to take the shape.

Name:	IMG_7423.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	100785
                      Left myself plenty of excess for final adjustment and trimming.

Name:	IMG_7425.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	100786
                      I'll punch the hole for the tube end next. The tube and its ends position dictates where this patch will ultimately end up. Once I have that dialed I can do my final trimming and add in the 90 degree bottom flange. Getting closer to wrapping up this corner repair.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• 5/16/18

New tube opening almost complete.

Name:	IMG_7426.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	100798
                        Opened and rolling the edges in for an eventual seam weld to the edge of the tube as originally.

Name:	IMG_7427.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	100799
                        Good for starters now to make it all fit and align together in the car.

Name:	IMG_7429.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	100800
                        Trimming little bits away as it went with a closer fit on each try.

Name:	IMG_7430.JPG
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	100801
                        Trying for tube alignment with best average fit at the end.

Name:	IMG_7431.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	100802
                        Time to commit to the final cut line for the weld joint.

Name:	IMG_7433.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	100803
                        Templates for final cut line and shape the remains of the original show.

Name:	IMG_7435.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	100804
                        Tube end traced in its adjusted position to better locate the final cut lines on the repair patch.

Name:	IMG_7436.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	100805
                        Cut right about here. Most the panel is going.

Name:	IMG_7438.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	100806
                        Trimmed and ready for final adjustments in relation to the tube. Shape didn't turn out as clean as I would have liked but its heavier gauge, hand shaped and will be eventually covered over so it really just as to do its job which is provide additional support at the tube end.

Name:	IMG_7440.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	100807
                        Aligning the tube. Close but the forward shoulder needs more rolling to allow the angle to drop in evenly.

Name:	IMG_7441.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	100808
                        After some adjustment I finally got that tube section pretty much where it was before.

Name:	IMG_7442.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	100809
                        New section is set into its final position. These two tube ends do come in at different angles which is probably why they remained separated like this.

Name:	IMG_7447.JPG
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	100810
                        Tube tacked into final position.

Name:	IMG_7444.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	100811
                        Removed one last time

Name:	IMG_7448.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	100812
                        To seam weld the edges up as originally done.

Thanks for looking!
                        Justin

Name:	IMG_7449.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	100813
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice bit of work there Justin very neat welding, You will always have warm feet if you need to, but with Nevada weather I bet that heating trap door will remain closed for 99% of the time

Its really warm here today blue sky, makes a change from months of quite nasty weather.

Roy

Comment

• Hi Justin,

I love to watch your craftsmanship and the way that you confidentially walk into a seemingly impossible situation and make it all work. The fixture to make the 18 gauge heating pipe collector was a classic in reconstruction.

Tom

Comment

• Thanks Roy, It should allow enough warm air to pass through. Enjoy that window of nice weather while you can!

That's very nice of you to say Tom, thank you! I'm just doing the best that I can with what little I have here. I sure wish I had all those expensive metal shaping machines on hand. My work would look a lot more competent for sure.
                              Thanks a lot you guys!
                              Justin

5/17/18
                              New outer closing wall installed.

Name:	IMG_7451.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	100842
                              Seam welded end of the tube to the opening of the shoulder as originally.

Name:	IMG_7453.JPG
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	100843
                              Only way to do it BTW as you'll never laydown a nice bead in here.

Name:	IMG_7455.JPG
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	100844
                              Another test to check my fit and alignment after all that heat.

Name:	IMG_7454.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	100845
                              Everything still in there and good to go. Time for the last detail. Heeling the bottom flange over.

Name:	IMG_7457.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	100846
                              Flange added, plug weld holes in and at long last I have this final piece of this particular puzzle completed.

Name:	IMG_7456.JPG
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	100847
                              Time now to get these inside surfaces treated and coated so I can close this up for good.

Name:	IMG_7458.JPG
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	100848
                              Best I can do with the remaining surface rust was to treat it with converter.

Name:	IMG_7459.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	100849
                              Then the inner cavities where slopped heavy with some epoxy sealer. A lot of heat still to come so I don't know how much of this will survive but it will offer at least some additional protection.

Name:	IMG_7461.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	100850
                              Mounted back on... For good this time.

Name:	IMG_7460.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	100851
                              Ready for the first few plug welds and tacks next.

Name:	IMG_7462.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	100852
                              End of this tube at the elbow is literally within a wisp of where it was originally. As close as I could hope for.

Name:	IMG_7463.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	100853
                              Commitment time. Plug welds and tacks added.

Name:	IMG_7464.JPG
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	100854
                              Elbow joint tacked and set as well. Looks close though not an exact copy but it is proper 18 gauge and one piece. I can live with it. Welding it in the rest of the way next.
                              Thanks for looking!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, that was a complex repair; well done. The harvesting was obviously key in being able to recreate it as it was....seems obvious but how many of us have gone plunging in only to have the "D'oh!" moment afterwards, when it was too late to peel the onion this methodically, or to harvest the remaining metal with such delicacy. As noted by many before me: what complicated little buggers these 356's are to restore....properly. Best, John

Comment

Working...
                                X