No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got confirmation that Fritz Schiedel - Joe Sheppard's mechanic drilled all the holes in the body of 550A-0144. Even the seat belts were drilled! The current owner has had the car since 1962.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D0_0582.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	57836
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Comment

• Did the Behra Porsche look something like this?

Name:	ward1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	57841

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrera GT" post=25741
          Posting for Steve Heinrichs.

Most recent photos of the highly anticipated Special Edition version of the Carrera 4 cam Book with its unique Factory made leather "Tool Kit" cover.

Michael Doyle

That is groovy!
          Attached Files

Comment

• ... out of the pan and into the fire!

You have Beagle owning 550A-0112 starting at Stockton on 22 March 1958. He actually owned 550A-0116.

I don't think this is possible that Sheppard raced 0116 as Beagle raced it at this time:

1. 18 April 1959, Venice replace chassis nr. 550a-0136 with 550A-0116.

Comment

• re Behra Porsche---

I've been in LA and do not have info with me. I believe the '25' photo is not of the Behra Porsche. I have a photo of it at Porsche.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• In addition to Hugus racing 550A-0132, on P598 you have an entry listing of Hugus in the 1957 Nassau. It is conclusive that he raced with Chester Flynn in a Ferrari 500TR and that he had already sold his car to Sesslar who started racing it in September. I think the listing should be deleted.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrew's post about the Eldon Beagle 550A. We list as 550A-0112 in the book.

We have also heard that Beagle may have raced 550A-0116 (the Sugarman/McAfee car) rather that 550A-0112 which is listed in book. We have not yet confirmed this possibility, but we do consider it to be a serious argument. We will hold off on this issue until we can sort out the Marshall/Wallace/Schechter/Sheppard issues.

However, if any of you do have additional evidence please let us know and we can put that item to rest.

Regards,

Vietta

Comment

• HI Vietta,

Here is the purchase contract of 550A-0116 when Beagle bought it.

Name:	ScreenShot2015-03-10at9.11.11am.png
Views:	26
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	58017

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrews comment about Hugus' 1957 Nassau appearance at post # #25890. We have tried to consistently note when a pilot and his car were entered whether or not they actually raced at a specific event--to help explain the history. For example, we listed Jean Behra as entered (but DNA) at 1959 Karlskoga, the next race following his fatal accident at Avus. In that case, we noted in the remark that he had entered the Karlskoga race before his accident.

We will add DNA to the race results and a remark to the 1957 Nassau entry for Hugus with the following note: "Hugus raced a Ferrari. He had already sold 550A-0132 to Don Sesslar."

Comment

• As you currently have McAfee driving 550A-0116 for half of the '58 season, his results will need to be adjusted accordingly. Although the colour scheme of McAfee's and Sheppard's 550A was similar, I do not believe it was the same car.

I remember when 550A-0119 was sold a number of years ago, the ownership list had Beagle buying the car off Sam Weiss which is incorrect.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to the various conversations involving Eldon Beagle's races. We wish to express our gratitude to Eldon Beagle's son, David for his contribution to this question and for his patience as we worked to understand the changes needed. He has been pursuing an accurate history of his father's racing career for a long time. He notified us before the end of the year that he had identified some additional information, so today is a good time to note the changes that result from his detective work.

Again, thank you to Andrew for helping us sort through this complicated issue.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,
                            Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to points about the motor section of the book raised by Mr. McCarthy on this forum at post #25460and from other experts who contacted us directly.

We will make the following changes and comments:
                            1. Page 104: Lower left drawing, is correct. It is an early Spyder engine, Type 547.
                            2. Page 104: Upper right drawing, please change motor type 547/2 to 547.
                            3. Page 105: Upper left drawing, please change motor Type 547/2 to 547.
                            4. Page 105: Lower right drawing, please change motor type 547/3 to 547/2.
                            5. Page 107: We think the comment is correct, but no change required.
                            6. Page 110: Please change motor Type 692/0 to 547/3.
                            7. Page 115: We think 692/3A is correct. If not, what is it?

Vietta

Comment

• p115 definitely not a 692/3A most probably a 587/2 or even 587/3 as i pointed out in 25432 post 15511 is a 3A

Comment

• p733
                                904-012 in red should be 904-013
                                904-016 in red should go to black 904-013 should have Drolson
                                904-050 not destroyed Newman had 091 and 002
                                j

Comment

Working...
                                X