Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacques,

Re page 733---

Please advise your sources as we also will check.

Where do we say 050 destroyed? What is point re Newman cars?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• p735
      904-050 in red sold to Roger Newman? destroyed?

Comment

• Yes----050 destroyed in fire in 2002. We'll check as to Newman ownership./steve

Comment

• books show 050 Hall/Sharp then Martin and was with Leonard Turner original and unmolested in the early 2000s.

Comment

• What books? We show only the one race and the 2002 barn fire.

We'll look as noted but which books? Maybe more races.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Jurgen Barth/Philippe Olczyk since it had US history i just went to Pantis confirms 2007

Comment

• re page 115:

This photo is, of course, of a 4-cam in an Abarth. It can only be a 692/3 or 3A unless it is of the second motor in 1020.

We'll leave it as it is, at least for now.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• re 904-050:

Jacques, I do not have my Pantis book where I am now and need you to please just tell us what additional races the book shows. Note that we basically only show races through the main period of 1965 or a little later.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve i was refering to the statement in Pantis tha 904-050 was still pristine in 2007. BTW it should be a 692/3A if it were an original 1960 picture but later on they ran 587 engines and most vinatge racers upgrade.
                    j

Comment

• Jacques,

re page 115---we are going to leave the description as it is. Abarths were delivered with 692/3s, etc. This is an early photo.

re 904-050: Thanks. So, let's see---no new races so that is set. The issue is was it burned/destroyed 2002 or so or not. We'll look up what we have. Nonetheless, in the world of restorations (like 550 prototypes that burned and now may be back)...a pristine 904-050 in 2007 is entirely possible.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Mr. Le Friant's questions about race results on page 733 of the Carrera Book, #25964

Comment

• Re: page 115:

Jacques and you other eagle eyes----we have done more work on this one. With the help of the Porsche archiv, another photo of this motor and car has been found. And, the motor 99048 could be read. This motor was originally in 904-054.

In any event, yep---a 587.

So---many thanks for the important catch. We'll fix the caption, etc.

We do not know which Abarth this motor went into.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• What is interesting to note, is that the 587 2.0 litre motor was engineered by Herr Fuhrmann just after the 1.5L 547 and 547/1 -2 - 3 motors...prior to the 1.6L 692/0 -1 -2- 3 motors as fit to most all the T2 A and T5 B and Abarth Carrera's.

Who knows the answer why..?

Michael Doyle

Comment

• Hi MD
                              in the book you may have noticed a 2.0 version of the 547 engine. p215.
                              going to plain bearing necessitated a new no so i guess 587 was used. the 692 for 1.5 and 1.6 must have been used to differentiate from the 547/x racing versions and the crank driven distributors and continued to the PB 692/1-3a that had already been allocated to 69. this is contrary to actual production as you point out.
                              j

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Mr. Le Friant's comment on 1964 12 h Sebring at #25964. We list 904-050 (in red font) with Hap Sharp/Ronnie Hissom at this race. In the Remarks after "Gearbox.", please delete the remainder of the remark, "Sold to Roger Neuman. Destroyed in barn fire 2002." We had included this remark with our original listing of 904-016 for the Sharp/Hissom race and missed deleting it in the proofs.

Then please add the deleted remark to 15-16 February 1964 Daytona, American Challenge Cup race for 904-016, Cassell/Hagestad result in the Remark Column, "Sold to Roger Neuman. Destroyed in barn fire 2002."

Thank you for catching this error.

Vietta

Comment

Working...
                                X