Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to upload the latest edition of the Errata Sheets. To make your work a bit easier, I have highlighted the new corrections in Aqua Blue highlighter and white font. We continue to work on the changes to several cars that Andrew has identified and we will update those items as soon as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Errata004_Page_1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	57089

Name:	Errata004_Page_2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	57092

Name:	Errata004_Page_3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	57091

Name:	Errata004_Page_4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	57090

Name:	Errata004_Page_5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	57093

Comment

• Re: Errata Nr. 04

Two outstanding professionals - Steve Heinrichs allowing a forum critique of his co-authored Book - and the work product of his assistant, Ms. V.Helmle.

Excellent all around. Great job!

Michael Doyle

Comment

• I will wait until you sort out the last challenge before I give you the next

At least the next is giving you 4 race numbers in the 1958 Mont Ventoux Hill Climb as a bonus...
        Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Michael,

Many thanks!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to note one correction in the Errata Sheet that we have not yet posted as a separate item.

The Chassis Type Cooper Porsche Special is listed frequently in the race results when it had a 4-cam motor.

Starting on page 544, the Cooper Porsche Special, listed with Chassis nr. MK8R and raced by Pete Lovely, George Keck, Tom Meehan and Stan Steffan did not have a 4-cam motor. This means that we delete the MK8R races from the Carrera Book.

However, we continue to list this car in our overall database which has over 26,000 race results for race cars with both 4-cam and other motor types.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post a list of race results where we still have unidentified Chassis nrs. We hope that you will be able to help us fill in the blanks! Please review the list and let us know if you spot a car or driver that you know.

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	57198

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	57199

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	57200

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_4.jpg
Views:	39
ID:	57201

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	57202

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_6.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	57203

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_7.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	57204

Name:	550-550AUnidentifiedResultsXChassis_Page_8.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	57205

Comment

• Here is the entry list for the 1958 Mont Ventoux Hill Climb on P610 - sorry for the clarity, but you can see the numbers

Name:	P610-MontVentouxresults.png
Views:	34
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	57207

Comment

• Hi
                  I do not want to detract from this monumental undertaken but vehicles do not have a soul. Race results attributed to a particular chassis really don't matter much nowadays since you are really saying that a bunch of parts which may or not exist today were there. The drivers and the type of vehicle are important for historical reasons but the importance of the vin is something which only gives a perceived value to a collection of parts. I have tried to correct technical mistakes and am amazed by the lack of input to those matters by the majority of the readers.
                  j

Comment

• Hi Jacques,

Your post is most thoughtful and important; I am glad you made it.

As to the motor comments you and Gerry made, I believe we have taken care of them except for Gerry's latest. The comments were useful and we are grateful.

The motor stuff seems to be your focus and that is cool. My personal focus is actually the chassis, motor and spares list.

Still, the race list has attracted the most comments as you imply. Partly this is because such a list has never been published before and it then invites comments when others have detailed information that is different. Even then, clearly 550/550As cause the most debate. The other main reason---as you note--is the current value placed on these cars. Race provenance affects value. And, we wanted to bring together a full race list recognizing that revisions would be made.

Like you, I note that many, many of the old race cars have very few of their original bodies or parts. It is complicated. We wanted, as a part of the book effort, to lay out facts as we know them and let "buyers beware" and do their own research.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve/Vietta,

I have found some more info on Joe Sheppard

1. The white 550RS at Gainesville was bought from Mike Marshall in Miami

2. The red/white nose 550A came from Cuban-American Johnny Cuevas

3. The silver 550A he raced in 1961 came straight from the factory new. (This 550 was going to Jean Behra but he was killed before taking possession)

4. The red RSK raced during 1960 was never owned by Sheppard, but he drove it for Brumos Porsche.

I know someone who is good friends with Joe, so he is getting him to contact me and hopefully we can sort a few things out

Andrew

Comment

• Andrew,

Thanks very much----every clue helps as you know. I have been away a couple of days and beginning to catch up. Off to LA Friday for the Meet.

We'll work on this, of course.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Posting for Steve Heinrichs.

Most recent photos of the highly anticipated Special Edition version of the Carrera 4 cam Book with its unique Factory made leather "Tool Kit" cover.

Michael Doyle

Name:	Carrera4camBook-SpecialEd.1.JPG
Views:	30
ID:	57664

Name:	Carrera4camBook-SpecialEd.2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	57665

Comment

• Very nice!

Can't wait to get mine.

Will Steve have one at the Lit Meet this week?

Jerry
                            1957 GT/GT Carrera Speedster #83780 (GT bodied per Carrera Book) w/original motor #90896
                            1963 547/5 Spyder Factory Replacement Motor #90404
                            1973 E Targa
                            1973 S Coupe
                            2017 991.2 Targa GTS 4

Comment

• Michael,

Many thanks for posting!!!

Nope---none at LA. Regular books---some. Hey---it is 918 leather!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to let you know that we corresponded with George Keck who raced RS Keck. He helped us confirm information about his cars.

We now know that Mr. Keck's 550-0070 was not in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon) on 3 August 1958 for the Shelton race. On page 612, we will delete 550-0070 (listed in red font) for the pilot named West (this is not Jack West). We will continue to work on the correct chassis nr. for this pilot in this race. For now, the chassis nr. will remain unidentified.

George Keck has been an exceptional resource and we thank him for his help.

In a previous post and Errata, we noted that all Cooper-Porsche MK8R races will be deleted since this car did not have a 4-cam motor.

Best regards,

Vietta

NOTE: I also posted this information on the 550 section of this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X