No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On review of this open Book critique, there appears to be views that particular content should be equal to the emmense depth of the factory 4-cam parts and service manuals. When I want that specific, detailed motor reference information, I simply go to those factory manuals.

I see this Carrera Book detail and story (it is a book) by Steve Heinrichs and Rolf Sprenger as being presented for a large cross section 4-cam owners and all early to late Porsche owners alike who very much appreciate these fantastic cars.

Steve is to be commended (again) for allowing the Book this open Forum review - I know of no other Porsche author or Porsche book in general offering this kind of access and commentary.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• Steve:
      The sheer volume of data, with chassis numbers, you have compiled, is amazing! Thank you!
      I have now found the time to review the cars I know personally, and have a few observations.
      VIR 3-4 May 1958. N.B.Davis 550-0064. Yep, we did not start, as the morning we were leaving, I set fire to my clothing, and was in hospital.
      B,hampton 30 May 1958. N.B.Davis 550-0064 this car never belonged to B.S.Cunningham.
      LimeRock 6-8 June 1958. N.B.Davis 550A-0135. I do not know the chassis number of this car, but , I DO know that it was the WHITE car driven by Denise McCluggage, and, probably, owned by BSC. He had 2 RS's, one white, one silver. You show him as owning 550A-0103, and 0139. This was, probably, one of these 2 cars.
      Vineland 9 April 1961 Holbert shown in 718-048. He arrived with TWO brand-new RS61's,(probably owned by Bernie Vihl) primarily for testing. He drove them both switching back and forth, and as I recall did not finish a race. The long-wheelbase -048 was not there. These were probably -070 and -073.
      Elkhart 9 September 1962. -063 did finish 2nd, but, to Walter Hansgen in a 2 liter birdcage Maserati, not Tom Payne's Spyder.
      Thompson 2 September 1963. Joe Trotter is shown in a 550, but, I'm almost sure that, by then he had acquired an ex werks RSK with A-frame rear suspension, and a pushrod engine. His 550 was also pushrod. On the short tracks of the northeast, Joe was always a threat, because the cars were so light. They were painted black and yellow, like a bumblebee.
      Mid-ohio 2 September 1963. NO WAY was Joe Buzzetta driving -063. It was, likley, in my basement.
      Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Michael, thanks so much!

Gerry,

These are very helpful comments. Much appreciated. Of course, we'll do our best to make sure they fit with the other material we have. What we would not dispute no matter what is the DNF where you set your clothes on fire and ended up in the hospital!! If there ever is a second edition...we'll add that remark.

I'm sure you know that the Holbert and Vihl stuff is most vexing---we'll get there.

To repeat for all---the book's listing of races has never been attempted before and part of what we wanted to do was to spark a dialog that sorts out various issues and to get to the truth. This is true for the chassis number lists as well.

Anyway---we keep working. Later today, Vietta will post our view as to 0118/0132/Rodger Ward.

Also, we have sorted out the Elva-Porsche stuff and have a few changes.

Jacques, we are still working on the Tour de France and, Andrew, we are still searching for the Playan 550A answer---wethink we have it down to a few possibilities. And, the 550-13 photo with the later start number (regardless of any possible mis identification as to a specific race) really does beg the question of when and if Playan sold the car.

Steve Heinrichs
        www.biglakemedia.com (by the way, I now know that not so many books are left in Europe and that the multitude of Amazon and assorted U.S. re-sellers are close to out. Translation: the price will go up)

Comment

• (see 1957 Le Mans photo, start nr.35)(photo 00436.jpg)

Click image for larger version

Name:	00436.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	55104

b. Sesslar car (see Sesslar photo, start nr. 74)(photo 00280.jpg)

Name:	00280.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	55105

3. Erickson photo does have the open nose slot, but no obvious black bead. (see Erickson photo with start nr. 27)(photo 00150.jpg).

Name:	00150.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	55106http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6139656
          . Please note the black bead around the front nose slot!
          2. We will change the races we note for Ward as 550-0083 which are listed in red font in the book to 550A-0132 in the Errata sheet.

Additional changes:

1. Thomas Greatorex races in 550A-0132 conflict with Rodger Ward's races. We move his races to 550A-0139, the ex-McCluggage car and the next most likely chassis for this pilot. But, we are still uncertain about this identification and will list in red font.

2. Clyde Freeman continues to be listed with 550A-0132 but in red font as it is listed in the book. We continue to be uncertain about this pilot with this car.

Best regards, Vietta

Comment

• Maybe this will shed some light...

Name:	WilkieSells.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	55108
            Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Ward's 550A

Name:	Riverside1960.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	55110

Name:	RoadAmerica1960.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	55111

Comment

• Next one for you Steve. In all your listings of Charles Wallace, you have him driving a 550RS - 550-0054 and 550-0083. All the photos I have of him are racing a 550A. I am sorry, I do not know which 550A it is...

Virginia - 27 October 1957

Name:	CharlieWallaceVirginia57.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	55129

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	55130

Comment

• I totally agree with you.
                  @ Michael Doyle #24480
                  www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Hi Gerd
                    I agree with the sentiment presented by MD giving hi praise to the monumental effort in compiling this masterpiece. But from my point of view i would make these comments.
                    1. factory manuals and tech bulletins are meant for proving information to permit servicing/rebuild.
                    2. there is technical information in the book that is not previously obtainable in that it publishes factory prints and gives other valuable insights.
                    3. the information presented could have been done by a more knowledgeable person and addressed to the target audience. this was compounded by a less than optimum translation you should be able to clarify some of this for future consideration.
                    4. the engine did not create it's history on it's own without the the drivers, transmission, suspension, chassis etc we would not have the race results but just a bunch of graphs of engine power. i think those topics could have more importance than the colour.
                    i am not trying to belittle the effort just that an opportunity was missed.
                    j
                    j

Comment

• Andrew,

Re Wallace Nr. 0:

Well, these photos may be 4 August 1957 at Virginia, not 27 October. For 4 August, weshow him in 550A-0111.

Nonetheless, we'll look more closely.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Comment

• Thanks Steve re Wallace - that makes sense.

Thanks also Vietta for researching further on the Ward car. A while back I was sent some information from a previous owner of 550A-0132 who shared some photos of the car when he owned it in the '80s. These also triggered why I thought Ward's car was 0132. If you notice the front headlights and also the holes in the rear clamshell, they are very similar to Ward's car after the upgrades. I have not seen other 550As with the same.

Name:	metstadiumlotfront1197084582.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	55146

Name:	wholecarrear1197084649.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	55147

Name:	RoadAmerica1961.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	55148

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to provide information on the Elva Porsche cars included in the book.

After reviewing new and additional information and material from an Elva-Porsche aficionado, we will make the following changes to the book and database:

1. Ernie Erickson raced an Elva-Porsche Special with 718 motor and Elva body, chassis nr. 70/021.
                            2. We will add a new race:
                            26-28 December 1963 Brands Hatch Boxing Day Race
                            Chassis Type, Elva Porsche Mark VII
                            Chassis Nr., 70/025
                            Pilot, Mike Beckwith

3. To reflect this information we will revise the late 1963 E-P races for Erickson (Elkhart Lake, Greenwood, Lynndale Farms and Milwaukee State Fair Park) from 70/025 to 70/021.
                            4. In addition, we can now add the correct chassis nrs. for the following:
                            a. 1964 Elkhart Lake Road America 500, Trieschman/Hayes, start nr. 74. Change 70P/024 to 70P/057.
                            b. October 1964 Riverside (two events). Trieschman, start nr. 79. Change 70P/057 to 70P/024.
                            c. October 1964 Laguna Seca. Trieschman, start nr. 74. Change 70P/057 to 70P/024.

Comment

• Andrew--re Playan 550A:

More in a day or two but we may be concluding that it was 550A-0128. We would then, of course, note for the errata sheet. This would mean all or most of Playan's start nr. 29. That said, I remain troubled by the one photo later at least of his 550-13.

Gerry---your comments: We are nearly set, as well, to note necessary changes. The one place where you note a different winner we think was a different class.

Jacques---we are still working on the Tour de France issue.

All----thanks much for the comments!!

Steve Heinrichs
                              www.biglakemedia.com (the only source for the remaining signed Hermann/Linge posters from the Porsche Race Car Classic)

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X