Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacques,

I look forward to the information. As Vietta noted, we only foundonce source who says that and our analysis leads to the other car.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Andrew:
      Thanks for your reply. I guess there are others as intense as was Paul. He was a very special guy. I remember him coming to my shop in the summer of'62 on a Honda motorcycle, with his wife on back, to buy a rear transmission cover to repair 718-057, which he backed off the road. I had the feeling 0144 was too high a number to be his car. Does anyone know the number? Bill Wonder painted it in his trademark maroon, and Herb Wetanson raced it in the same color.
      Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hi if you go to post 15511 you can see the 692/3A engine that should be on page 115

Comment

• Jacques,

I think we earlier advised we agreed that the photo needed to be changed. We're set. Still, thanks!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Michael:
            Going back 6 weeks, to post 24221. Anyone who asked could have his engine equipped with the 34mm venturis.
            You are correct, the GT engine did receive the Spyder flywheel.
            In 1957, there only was 1 camlobe, 550 and Carrera had the same cams. The higher lift, longer duration lobes were experimental in 1957, not even used on Spyders until '58. They were never cataloged on any Carrera engine, although I have no doubt "friends of Porsche" had them in '58, likely with 82mm crankshaft as well.
            The list I offered Jacques + the light flywheel was what GT buyers were told they were getting. As you know, Newt Davis, whom I worked for in '57-'58 bought one of the first GT coupes in the country, which a driving instructor promptly rolled in a ball.
            Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hi Gerry
              were 82mm cranks installed on only 692 case castings?

Comment

• Jacques:
                The 82mm crankshaft was introduced after the 692 case, so any factory 82mm engine would have been built on a 692 case. I have, however, seen 547 castings machined to 82mm, an upgrade, probably not known to SCCA inspectors. Most 547 castings don't have numbers cast into them. There are also a few "Elva" engines on 587 cases, with, of course, 82mm crankshafts.
                Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Steve:
                  l've been nitpicking again!
                  Pg. 104 left. Prototype engine, possibly 547/01. Note no name or fins on valve covers, unique breather,carb covers with screws from below.
                  Pg. 104 right and 105 left. Not a 547/2, but 547 for production 550.
                  Pg. 105 right. 547/2, not /3 possibly P90101, because of non-standard distributor drive and bracket, which I saw on this engine. BUT, exhaust is for Carrera (toward pulley), and this design, with different castings, was an available Carrera update.
                  Pg. 107, observation: one engine has engine mount at pulley, the other, not.
                  Pg. 110. Not a 692/0, but 547/3 or 4 with 46mm Webers, Spyder exhaust and throttle linkage.
                  Pg.115. Not 692/3A. Lacks outside flywheels, has 46IDM Webers.
                  Re: Crankcase story is much more involved than indicated. Multiple casting changes over the years. A dissertation in itself.
                  Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post a response to Mr. McCarthy's comment that it seems unlikely that Bob Holbert raced at both Meadowdale and at Montgomery on 5-7 August 1960. We isolated the Meadowdale races for 1960 in the database. The race results for the 23 July 1960 Meadowdale and the alleged 6 August 1960 Meadowdale race results are remarkably similar. Although one source does list the August 1960 race, no other source identifies a race on this date and location. We do not believe that it took place and we believe that the 6 August 1960 Meadowdale race has been confused with the 24 July 1960 Meadowdale race for BM-FM or GM cars.

We will delete the 6 August 1960 race and all results for that race from the database. In addition, we will note that change in the Errata Sheet.

Comment

• Hi Gerry
                      I think the exhaust pointing the wrong way is an artifact since the dyno did not allow for mid engine exhaust.
                      j

Comment

• Jacques:
                        Duh! Of course, thanks.
                        Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to a photo that Andrew posted about Erv Lehr at 8-9 November 1958. #25052He has shared a photo that shows Lehr with start nr. 21 and George Keck with start nr. 124. We will change Lehr's start nr. 21 from red to black font since we are now certain that he had start nr. 21.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WM_Laguna_Seca-1958-11-09a-021.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	57054

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Mr. McCarthy's comments regarding Bob Holbert's 718 cars. 25273 As you all know Holbert's cars are quite complicated. Mr. McCarthy has been able to help us understand the progression of cars Holbert raced from his personal experiences. Here are the changes we will make in the database and to the Errata Sheet that we will publish later this week.

1. As you have seen in an earlier post, we deleted the 6 August 1960 Meadowdale race and all results.

2. Then for 5-7 August 1960 Montgomery, replace chassis nr. 718-063 with Holbert's earlier car 718-031 (per McCarthy documents that Holbert did not receive 718-063 that early).

3. We also delete "Broken Crankshaft" from the Remarks field for Holbert's 5-7 August Montgomery race result. (Mr. McCarthy reports that this problem occurred later.)

4. 4 February 1961 Daytona, replace chassis nr. 718-063 with 718-065. Again, Mr. McCarthy's documentation shows that Schiff received 718-063 with a freshly rebuilt, including a new crankshaft, 547/3 engine, converted to 1587cc on January 1961.

5. 9 April 1961 Vineland (two events), replace chassis nr. 718-073 (Sebring car) with 718-065.

6. Replace 718-044 with 718-065 for these Holbert races: 14-16 April 1961 Marlboro, 30 April 1961 Virginia International, 12-14 May 1961 Cumberland and 26-28 May Bridgehampto.

7. 3-10 December 1961 Nassau Speedweek, change four events for Holbert. Replace chassis nr. 718-065 with 718-048.

We wish to think Mr. McCarthy for generously sharing his memories and his documentation for Bob Holbert's cars. Holbert is a very important US sports car racer.

Comment

• Steve:
                              With regard to point 4 of vhelme's response, I have given a false impression. 718-063 was received by Mr. Schiff with a freshly rebuilt, including a new crankshaft, 547/3 engine, converted to 1587cc. If my memory is correct, it is number P90253. It is still in the car. Some years ago Jim Wellington intimated to me that he had case number P90308, 718-063's original engine, but nothing ever came of it.
                              The above applies to #25273, not #25052.
                              Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Thank you to Mr. McCarthy for correcting my error on Item 4 on my original response for post #25273

I have revised Item 4 on our response to say "4. 4 February 1961 Daytona, replace chassis nr. 718-063 with 718-065. Again, Mr. McCarthy's documentation shows that Schiff received 718-063 with a freshly rebuilt, including a new crankshaft, 547/3 engine, converted to 1587cc on January 1961."

I also noticed that I set a hyperlink to the wrong original post, so I have corrected that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X