• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELETED

Comment

First, a little housecleaning...

Mr.Wright:

I think it was gracious of you to offer an individual access to something that most of us never see: a Holiday ledger. And a recent one to boot. If one could compare same to say, a 10yr. old one, one could learn much about the cost structures of such an event, the level of support offered by the Club, past and present, and the potential budget scenarios were the Club to assume a level of support more appropriate to its responsibilities. This could lead to a very relevant discussion of the Holiday Support issue.

I was simply hoping you would obligingly provide a realistic starting point for this discussion.

However, it would appear that my writing skills still need work, as voices I trust interpreted my request as needling, and that is my bad. The goal was sincerity; sometimes, a miss is as good as a mile.

Mr.Dan:

I liked your post. An occasional summary during a long discussion is a good thing. And the point of Radio Free Registry (and the Lawsuit thread, the more appropriate venue for your questions) is free (on point) speech and the spirited exchange of differing opinions in a gentlemanly manner. Truly good ideas are those spawned in the rich stew of compromise that is, ideally, the intended result of this exercise in commingling of differing points of view.

So make yourself comfortable, pour a single-malt, and vent your spleen (we here specialize in pointed questions).

Oh yeah, bring a friend.
      ----------
      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Dan, you made some poignant observations with your introductory posting.

You said: ".... these threads, along with the closed Samba thread could be perceived as a few individuals moving from forum to forum to discuss the same issues over and over again. And, as we know, the Registry threads are lost. This is exactly why I asked the questions."

Yes, it's sad that Registry members or past members were cast out to wander in the desert for what seems like 40 years. The two watering holes at which a few have been welcomed were the only way to stay in contact other than a growing personal email contact list.

Just to be clear, the over and over again points that may be expounded upon or edited by others have always been: better access to good information (honest answers to honest questions) directly with the trustees, open meetings with executive sessions when needed, published minutes and agendas for business meetings, open club financial and corporate information (and any other Ohio law allowances) and term limits to allow hopefully younger members to participate in club guidance. (Yeah, "we" want audits and a balanced budget and trustee accountability and all that crazy stuff..)

"We" in this movement may be called the P-party, but that may have negative connotations.... Basically, "we" want the Registry to be run more like most other car clubs, but have no power to 'insist' primarily due to an established power base whose stubbornness can only be met by stubbornly 'meeting' like this. Frustrating, on a national scale when overwhelming apathy (an oxymoron?) is the rule.

"One and done? Actually, no. I am engaged with my business and have limited time. I certainly can't respond to every post in real time. And I figured to give others time to read and respond. Finally, I didn't see a PM or email. Perhaps it was caught in my SPAM folder."

Dan, after the first allegedly "open" trustee meeting, I thought you and I engaged in a one-and-done exchange on the Registry Forum (when I used to post over there). If I am mistaken, I apologize. Yes, I may also misunderstand how the "quick reply" feature of this website works, but I thought I sent you a short and polite message with a few questions that you have answered openly on this thread, so all is well in that regard. I do understand the "get to work, first" principle, as I too often get caught up in the club politics when I should be managing my business, as well. (It's now 0847 and I have a 0900 appointment to look at an early 911 that has some rust "issues." Imagine that!
        BTW, each forum opening has driven me back into email rehab, but I really do want to hang around to see what happens through Mr. Heinrichs' efforts to open things up for the future good of the club.....and yes, I believe that's his sincere intention.
        Thanks,
        Bruce

Comment

Why shouldn't a car club be a democratic organization?

This is the question that nags at me as we watch the current El Supremos squander the Member's cash in a curiously stubborn effort to avoid revealing what should, by Ohio law and by any reasonable measure of right, be available to any Member of the Club for the asking.

Its called reasonable accountability and it is clear from its provision in all applicable laws and regulations, that accountability (and its concurrent transparency) is expected of such organizations. It is provided so that the Members can assess the job their leadership is doing in their name. This is a fundamental aspect of democracy, which should surprise no one considering where we all live.

So what would a truly democratically structured club look like?

Well, for starters, the rights of the Membership would need to expressly include the powers of initiative and review, and the mechanisms to exercise them.

And to protect the Members' interests (and to preclude the need for a constant vigilance when Members should be concentrating on cars and the other fellows that own them), the club's books, which must be kept in a structure and form commonly accepted as appropriate for a non-profit corporation, should be annually reviewed by contracted professionals, who's report would be communicated, unaltered, to the entire Membership promptly.

Thus informed, if the Members determine that their elected leaders are performing unsatisfactorily, they will be empowered to make appropriate adjustments. Democracy at work.

And the beauty is that the technology of the web offers the opportunity to conduct the business of such a club easily and with minimal time away from the real business of enjoying the cars.

A better club focused to run to better promote the enjoyment of the cars. It can't get better than that; we already know it can get worse, much worse.
          ----------
          Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

"OK Registry Voyeurs and other Shut-ins, its time for another catchup in the Lawsuit Follies of 2013."
            ------------------------------------------
            A special on TV Monday night about Mel Brooks showed a great tactic that could be used about our very own Registry politics.(see above) 'Making fun' of the bad guys can be the antidote to the frustrations they can cause, (a case in point being Mel Brooks' "The Producers"). Still, if any simple car club is supposed to be fun, first and foremost, unfetter the boundaries of that word, 'cause if it's taken too seriously it can make ya kr-r-r-azy!

Permit me a sports analogy with the Registry 'teams.' Allow me to submit that there are not many games where there are no referees, umpires (or judges). Team Trustee is accused by The Inimicals of not playing by the club rules of this particular game.

The fans of either side cannot influence the game very much, especially if they are not allowed on the field or if there are no substitutions allowed...or if they are just caught up with reading the fancy program handed to them when they pay for their tickets, or they are just ignoring the game being played because they enjoy standing in line for expensive food and beverage knowing it's more fun to be seen than to participate, whatever.

Anyway, the captain of The Inimicals senses foul play, so he throws out the red flag as a challenge. He asks for instant replay to be viewed by a referee so his challenge may be upheld.

Meanwhile, Team Trustee is still arguing the call originally made and may just be tossed out of the game if they keep it up...or at very least, lose the support of their fans. No more away games on the fans (since in reality, the fans own the team), no sponsorship, no great draft picks, no new players from the minors, no glitzy promos in the slick programs.
            .....and even the programs are in jeopardy.

It's well known that the Big Money is in the Big Leagues and that more passionate play is found in the Minor Leagues, rooted in the Youth Leagues. What's missing in the case of the Registry are those who are posing near the concessions, ignoring the whole of the game and what's going on at each level, especially with the Farm Team.

Comment

Bruce:

That's great. I'm proud to already have the team T shirt for "The Inimicals." Anybody else want the team's shocking pink T shirt? I can go order more I'm sure. See: http://porsche356registry.org/forum/download/file.php?id=22912&mode=view
              Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Lurking here... now I'm noticed when there is an update.
                Brian O'Kelly

Comment

This makes for some interesting reading. It is quite unfortunate that all this fighting has to occur, but clearly the Registry is an antiquated, though functioning machine. Sort of like the cars we love to work on and drive. As a younger newer member I have always felt that the Registry was living on borrowed time and when they took membership in-house so to speak it got much worse. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I want to thank Justin for having the courage to do what he is doing. He is investing huge amounts of his time and money to offer us what the Registry has not, an open forum. Like all forums, there are rules, but the freedom is a breath of fresh air. Just the ability of all of these above posters to have freedom to bitch freely without fear of deletion and banishment is amazing. When I read about the dictatorship ways of the Registry I think of failed governments or heavy handed religious groups professing to be the solution or the only right way so follow us and damn the rest. Justin thank you. As for the Registry, the only thing I am disappointed in is the potential loss of information. We have a forum right here in our hands, now lets make something of it.
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

you
                    ----------
                    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Mr."Bosch":

By the by; the whole point is to get it to hit the fan, and squarely.
                      ----------
                      Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

----
                        Jack Stenner
                        ---------------
                        1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                        1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

"Robert Bosch" is just too cute, but whatever his real name is, I hope he will not abandon his participation...maybe he is a trustee or officer-editor-vendor...who knows. Still, a healthy dialogue is more interesting than a monologue and those like me will take whatever we can get about our cause celeb.

We may be pains-in-the-ass to some, but we are passionate supporters of the Registry and think changes need to be made to keep it healthy and stable....like filing tax papers on time, things like that (and more). Simple stuff 'we' feel shouldn't be a big deal...but for some reason always gets stonewalled by 'them,' like they are not important.

I wish to note that those who seem to support the status quo already post in their sign-off how many toys they allegedly have, so Mr. Henrichs does NOT need to sue for that info.

The misadvertised "open trustees meeting" means that the few members who show up can meet whichever trustees show up and ask questions BEFORE a trustee business meeting. I'd call that a Q&A. The important trustee business meeting (to a few, like me, who ran for election as a Trustee) is closed. Apparently, it is preferred that their whole meeting is an executive session so anything can be said in any way about anything or anyone and UNLESS LEAKED , no one would ever know what went on.

Well, the excuse for closed meetings has been varied, including "inconvenience" ("suppose a trustee has to make a plane...") or "potential interruptions" ("that would take more time and distract the business at hand") or my favorite; "We just don't want to." The thing is, they are willing to block time for the Q&A, so rejection #1 and #2 is moot. #3 came to me from the president's mouth to my ear. George told me "Aw, all we do is housecleaning...and who wants to sit in on that?" Guess my answer.

So, for Mr. Bosch, I have had conversations for many years during my support for the club with those who run it. I still want to turn some things around, compromise if necessary, but I see respect ebbing away, mutually, for wanting to do that, for having to have postings like this on alternate sites. Can you get that?

Justin, my friend, thank you for this opportunity. "This too shall pass" and I can only hope that the interest in this, your wonderful site, continues to grow long after the huge number of hits on these two Registry-oriented threads fade away. I relax by just gazing at the pictures that appear here, a visual summary of all things Porsche.

Thank you again!

Bruce Ernst Fuhrmann-Baker

Dutch bicycle
                          Husquvarna tractor
                          Dodge Diesel truck
                          Case backhoe (for sale)
                          2010 VW Rabbit 5-cyl commuter
                          oh, and a 356

Comment

Mark:

My concern in every organization to which I belong at this point in my (old) life is how to keep younger people involved. Your point about "the one true way" is well taken and is the problem with the Registry, unfortunately. Disagreement becomes accusation. Question becomes disloyalty and leads to banishment.

I am glad you're here and contributing. We need more of you.

And yes, many of us have thanked Justin, but, Justin my friend, you deserve regular thanks so here's some more

Bill
                            Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Mr.Dan997tt wrote (mistakenly on the Litigation thread):

FYI:

"2/3 of the voters in the last election agreed with you. 1/3 disagreed in the strongest possible terms, meaning that fully 1/3 of the membership has no representation amongst current club "leadership."

From the Registry site:
                              Election results: 800 ballots cast (membership is noted to be some 8,000 members) , reportedly the largest participation ever.

You have made an interesting point, tho it has been discussed before. Yes, you quote a very apt example of the difference between Members and Subscribers.

The Members participate in the conduct of the Club and the Subscribers, who do not, have abrogated any real right to the classification of "Member".

Using the quoted numbers above, I figure the Club has about 6000 Subscribers, and frankly, I can't figure out why that should be something to brag about.

I still think that if the magazine returned to the 1990s level of cost and production values, we could realize a more realistic and sustainable Membership base.

After all, the large and growing Subscriber base has not, nor can not, provide any tangible benefit to the Membership who are the Club.

Plus, the absolute apathy of the Subscribers precludes any possible contribution to the continuing well being of the Club in the future. So one can be forgiven, I think, for asking himself, "who needs 'em?".
                              ----------
                              Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Mark, Thank you for that really nice post! It has been a small investment and real daily commitment (2-3hours average)to keep things new and fresh especially the first several months when it was mostly just me here talking to myself trying to keep the pilot light lit.
                                However it really has been a labor of love and the time does pass quickly.
                                My thanks to ALL of you guys who visit and participate, It is my pleasure to have you here! Again my mission with this site is only an alternative place to read about all things 356 after you've visited all the other sites.
                                Thanks again to all of you!!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X