No announcement yet.

Radio Free Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So wait, you insult me, not my alter-ego, and I take offense, which was the plan, right?
    So, yes I am fine sticking to the issues, just stop trying to be cute and clever in your insults, if you want to man up and insult me my number is readily available, dial the digits and do it, or better yet, come on out to NY, but leave the high school semantics where they belong, ok? Great, thanks.
    Back to the issues at hand, I think we should push for more change within the club, and should more aggresively try to get new younger members and no, not to fund the magazine, but for the overall longevity of the club. Though I do think it is a very well done magazine, hope everyone reads my two articles in the latest issue. But back to the issue, the Club's population is a rapidly aging one and we need to do more to cultivate newer younger members. Things like the forum being closed don't help with the newer generation. We should also be more active at events that aren't all Porsche. These are only a few ideas, anyone else have any?

Comment

DELETED

Comment

Was there a "plan" or is it an issue of perception... For example, should one be insulted by a charge of "high-school semantics" or be impressed with the non sequitur? Beauty is often in the eye of the beholder.

At any rate, I haven't had such a testosterone-soaked offer since sixth grade playground and as attractive as it might seem, I'm afraid I will decline, with all respect due such a proposition. Thanks anyway, I'm sure.

On to issues:

See, I knew we agreed on some things. The Club does indeed need to attract younger Members to remain viable in the future. The problem is that experience has shown us that there is a very real difference between "Members" and "Subscribers" that can not be ignored.

The fundamental and most important difference is this: the "Members" give a damn how the Club is run and whether it is fulfilling its responsibilities to its Members, while the "Subscribers" could not care less about any issues beyond prompt delivery of the glossy rag. (Please note: The segue into response to your post on the legal thread has begun)

I submit that the stapled semi-gloss magazine of yore would do more to attract real "Members" and simultaneously discourage "Subscribers", a win-win if I ever saw one. It becomes win-win-win if one includes the direct benefit to the membership of using the thus newly liberated revenues to support the sponsored regional units and annual Holidays expected of a non-profit nation-wide car club.

Finally, let us approach the issue of "prestige". There is, for example, a reasonable point of view that wonders why having "Porsche" in the Club name is actually desirable, wondering just how it improves the club experience for its Members. And is a member attracted by prestige likely to understand the zeitgeist of the celebration of the qualities that make a 356 a great car to own, drive, and maintain? Some how, I doubt it.

What I don't doubt is that when I became a Member back in 1980, "prestige" had nothing to do with the decision. And while it is speculation, I feel safe in assuming that it did not matter to most of the other fourteen hundred and some odd Members at that time who continue to be the backbone of the Club to this day. I believe we need more and younger members like those, not prestige-conscious magazine subscribers who have nothing to contribute to the Club.
        ----------
        Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Not quite sure where to post this but here is my question.

If the Registry gets money from Porsche to help offset the ECH & WCH plus they raised their subscriber/membership fee by approx. 28%, why does it cost so much to attend them?

Edit -- I don't want my question to come across accusatory just wondering.
          Mic
          1959A coupe

Comment

DELETED

Comment

Mic:

According to the 2010-2011 fiscal year end report (the year ended 8/31/2011) the Registry received $27,968 in "Porsche Support." This statement was in the September/October 2012 issue of the magazine. No one I know has received any information on the 9/1/2011 to 8/31/2012 fiscal year although it ended 8 1/2 months ago so who knows. Whether that FY 2010-2011 "support" was earmarked for any particular purpose is unknown to me. Even with that support the Registry lost $66,825 for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.

Note 2 to the report I mention above states that holidays, meetings, event EXPENSES of $51,559 included, amongst other items, the $!4,500 Porsche AG furnished the 2011 Fiscal Year West Coast Holiday. It did not make sense to me. If you want to send me an email I still have the mag and can scan it for you. Send to MondoKook-RadioFree@yahoo.com if you're interested.

Because of the expense I've never been to a Holiday. They seem to be in pricey places with pricey hotels. All who attend should be VERY grateful to the local workers who put them together (right Bruce?) thus saving tons of money over professional planners, but, they still cost a lot. There was a WCH at Lake Tahoe, for example, recently. At least one of the guys responsible for doing all the work is reputed not to have stayed for the event after setting it up since it cost too much.

The guys down in Georgia last year and the guys at the "Third Coast" put on less expensive events. Woodie shows are free. Period. That said, most of us buy raffle tix and T shirts. I usually drop a hundred bucks that way plus lodging (frequently in a friend's spare room) and food. Even the "catered" shows generally have a $20 dinner and at some of them a local restaurant owner owns a car and donates most if not all of the expense. I'd love to go to Santa Fe but it IS expensive and I am no longer a member - my wife is but she has not felt particularly welcome unfortunately. When we retire . . . . .

Bill
              Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

DELETED

Comment

"Raise us above the distinctions and differences which divide us..."

No one has commented on the success the southern California 356 Club or other international 356 clubs that seem to move along quite well.

Strong membership, an equally amazing magazine, and great events. It could just as easily been an east coast group, or even the UK club, but it just happens to have a great magazine and members of all ages.

They don't necessarily act like they own Ferraris, which is an evolving and cultivated attitude that spills into the 356 arena at times. In the end, they too are riddled with characters and alter egos, good and bad, but they do make it about the cars.

Can we learn anything new from these other groups and clubs to better the Porsche 356 Registry club?

Comment

"Can we learn anything new from these other groups and clubs to better the Porsche 356 Registry club?"

Please define "we."

Comment

It was just an open statement, a generalization of future 356 registry members.
                      356 humanity, a positive 'we'.

Pour some more coffee while I grab the mic for a second.

I subscribed to several other clubs to devour what I could about the 356 and continue to learn after 20 years or so.
                      One that stuck out was the southern Cal group. It just seemed to serve as a great example, or rather a sample of what we should and could incorporate. To some of us simple guys abroad, they are Ford and Chevy. Glossy magazines, with great articles and what we thought, great people.

English is not every members first language, nor is legalese. So the simple terms and basic approach works.

Open the doors to the members where there is less legal jargon creating a less intimidating sense that 'we' the members can amd want to approach.

Mr. Kowitall attitudes, self serving prix, and my shit don't stink attitudes is what allowed this fiasco to begin in the first place. Where were WE when this was unfolding?
                      With the power of viral emails, why didn't we know?

I have met some amazing guys in the Porsche world that can manipulate the English language, command a presence, and sway the crowds. I don't know how to motivate them to stand up and piss on the smoke and mirrors.

Voyeurs, you must be out of popcorn and patience.

Comment

[quote="MMW" post=7408]Not quite sure where to post this but here is my question.

If the Registry gets money from Porsche to help offset the ECH & WCH plus they raised their subscriber/membership fee by approx. 28%, why does it cost so much to attend them?

Edit -- I don't want my question to come across accusatory just wondering.

Mic, to me, $45 falls into "about time." $35 was too cheap for a quality club, so I do NOT think that is a problem in and of itself.

There are many other bigger things than a dues increase as problems for the Registry. For instance, what you say about too much money suddenly being not enough...within months...and no clear reasoning as to why that disparity.

For some perspective, our 2008 ECH had a budget of approximately (in round numbers) $150k, $50k of which came from sponsorship. One prime sponsor was Porsche, BEFORE all the "official recognition" stuff. My edict was that our registration costs would be no higher than any previous event of it's type and yet provide many facets of our event at no additional cost....the steam train ride, dinner in the huge railroad museum at little cost, a wine tasting (and cheese) party, a kick-ass hospitality room all event long, copious desirable door prizes, a reasonable banquet cost with live entertainment.

Many, many thousands of dollars in "extras" big and small for 518 people and 276 356s in attendance.

Our committee worked really hard for almost two years, for free, to pull this off. We comp'd a great spot (with guest room) for the Goodie Store, had an indoor swap meet in a ballroom and still made enough money over our costs that, by contract with the 356 Registry, Inc, had to be returned to the treasury...which then offset the losses of that year's WCH....apparently because at the last minute, they decided to take over the golf course for their concours to be on grass instead of paving and that wasn't included in budget planning. Stuff happens and it worked out.

Point is, we were self-supporting but raised the bar so high that it's apparently unsustainable. Less cost and maybe as much fun can be had in smaller events, like another Georgia event coming up this September. If they are smaller and more spread around the country, I would see this as a great trend....IF it can be totally altruistic. If a percentage of the left-over of a non-Registry event is kept by the organizers, there may be some incentive to possibly do more events, and the free-market/free enterprise concepts would quickly govern any like that if it were to be tried.

Conversely, if the Registry gets it's act together and examines an idea of event subsidy as proposed by Al Zim back-in-the-day, the Registry could apply Porsche support to lessen member impact financially and ease the angst of a one-way contract with the club, perhaps drawing more 356ers into involvement at all levels and even getting some younger enthusiasts involved, perhaps a way to reverse the downward spiral to again see an upward spiral.

Still, the #1 problem within the Registry is apathy. Apathy has grown and allowed the club to be what it's become...not "what can I do to help?" but "what is the club going to do for ME?"

Comment

I liked Mic's comment about the SoCal 356 club (Porsche 356 Club when I joined, now 356 Club). It is what a car club should be. It is well run, doesn't lose the members' money and hosts actual club/car events WEEKLY. What's not to like? Excellent point Mic. The Registry would turn around in a nano-second if Pete McNulty were the president. Don't thank me now for suggesting that Pete - it is definitely meant as a compliment to a guy who is what a car club member should be.

Anyway, they do it right, despite what is very close to animosity from the Registry "leaders." It is a good thing that the local clubs are completely independent. Our local one is truly excellent.

Bill
                          Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

By the way. Has anyone seen ANY financial info since the August 31, 2011 year end report (in the Sep/Oct 2012 Registry mag)? The most recent Registry fiscal year end was August 31, 2012 and it is 8 1/2 months into yet another year with no report (even un-audited). Members, including my wife, might wish to know the financial condition of an enterprise that for FY 2008-2009 lost $17,110; for FY 2009-2010 lost $47,009; for FY 2010-2011 lost $66,825; for FY 2011-2012 NO REPORT. The trend is disturbing since the trustees and therefore the members have lost, over those 3 reported years, a total of $130,944 of a starting net worth of $494,270. That's 26% of the value of the enterprise has been distributed mostly to entities controlled by the editor. That, by the way, is the absolute right of the club's elected officials. So, they can do it. Should they do it? That's a question for the electorate, which has so far approved.
                            Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

I see They sent Mr.Henning (ever the enthusiastic running dog) over to the Samba to trigger a lock on the "lawsuit" thread (which Mr.Barnes obligingly provided, as he said he would), which I'm sure gave him a smug thrill.

Come on over here, Mr.Henning; there are more voices to try to silence. Of course, the Free Speech environment might make the effort more difficult, but you love a challenge, don't you?

Bring a friend.
                              ----------
                              Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Mr.Sampson:

All things considered, it would seem unlikely that They will turn this info loose willingly. And after all, reasonable fellows should be grateful that the Trustys continue to demonstrate why Their stewardship is such a disaster.

So keep on keepin' on Trustys; when you dig your own hole, it saves us so much shovel work.
                                ----------
                                Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Working...
                                X