No announcement yet.

Radio Free Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just caught up reading all of the posts on this topic, along with the law suit topic. Was not aware that these were being discussed here until I saw a reference several days ago, I think on thesamba. A few observations: 1)why is law suit being discussed in detail on this topic when there is already a topic for this? 2) Some postings on this topic are much more civil and polite than others. I like the politer posts better, and would quit checking this topic if the more unpolite posters monopolized the topic.

Anyway, I am a Registry member since about 1986 and used to really enjoy and look forward to the smaller magazine. Now, I eventually scan it and will read the more technical articles, but have been turned off by the stretch of some of the content. On the Registry forum I would say some of it should be posted in "Off Topic". I have posted on the Registry forum my feelings that meeting minutes should be in the magazine, as few participate on the forum and possibly fewer visit the web site. I will be 70 soon, so am in the old group but have feelings more like the young group. My opinion, which I have posted on the Registry forum was that it was a big mistake to close it to posting by non-members. Still think it is a bad idea, even though there have been several good posts on why it should be closed. The sarcastic comments by some of the board members calling those who disagree "clowns" has really turned be off. I boycotted posting after the election results were announced, but have resumed recently on a limited scale to try to help out a few posters with my limited knowledge. I agree that the Holidays are very expensive and that the smaller local events should be encouraged more by the Registry. However, I do love driving my 356 on long road trips, which we(my wife and I have been doing since our first Holiday in Louisville back in the late 80s. It has given us opportunities to see parts of the country we never would have seen otherwise. I really debated on renewing my membership, which expires soon, but at the last minute decided to re-up for 3 years at the old rate, as time is not on my side to be enjoying this hobby as I have for much longer. Also, I can keep voting for the change proponents, as quitting will accomplish nothing. We recently enrolled for the Santa Fe Holiday, even though we have been there in our 356 after leaving a Durango Holiday some 10 years ago. Our lodging rate at a Holiday recommended hotel 2 blocks from the H/Q hotel was very reasonable. So, yes, it is on the expensive side, but if we were planning a trip to Santa Fe, probably would have spent about as much anyway, and we do love to sit with new(to us) people at the Holidays and have had many very interesting conversations over the years by not sitting with "friend".

So, I am by no means defending many of the board actions. It has also been very frustrating watching the value of our cars get ridiculous. I think that has driven some of the evolution of Registry membership and board decisions. Hopefully they will drop(plummet) back to something reasonable.

Not defending the board, but something seems to happen to people when they get on a board. I live in a private(blue collar) club in northern MI in a very low population density area. The club has by-laws, and recently our board decided to do something that clearly. in my opinion, violates the by laws. Their response was that the club attorney did not think it would be a violation. Well, as we are not spread all over the country and world like the Registry membership, a bunch of us showed up at the next board meeting, which is always open but usually poorly attended, and got the decision overturned. Amazing what face to face confrontation and discussion can do. We do have a monthly magazine/newletter with financials and board meeting minutes in every issue, so it is very easy to call our club accountant and ask for more details. Occasionally this results in an admission that something was posted in the wrong account, but immediately corrected. Transparency really helps, along with the face to face. No board member could ever get away with calling a member a clown or to watch out for the door knob as they leave, because they see most of these people weekly if not sometimes daily.

Just some thoughts and observations. Thanks for the interesting dialog.

Phil Planck - caretaker of a 55 coupe and amateur repairer/restorer of Foam Car(62 coupe) for going on 12 years.

Comment

Welcome Phil. I always enjoyed reading of your adventures with Foam Car.

As you have observed with your own club, sunlight is a marvelous disinfectant. Many of us hope to open some doors and windows to permit light to shine into areas of the Registry that we perceive to be in need of airing out.

Bill
      Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Mr.Planck:

Allow me to welcome you to Mr.Rio's most excellent site. We all hope you continue to find a reason to stop by and chat.

I will presume to apologize for those posting you find unpleasant, particularly if my posts are among them. However, as is often the case with uncensored dialogs, the passion of expression can run high.
        While we strive for a civilized exchange of all kinds of views, these views tend to be passionately held and the results are sometimes unpredictable, but always free. I would invoke the analogy of a box of puppies, once regularly beaten for barking too loud; once rescued, they sometimes react in memory of old times.

Yes, some cross-posting occurs; we try to keep the thread lines consistent for clarity of development and ease of assimilation, but stuff happens.

Its a Work in Progress. Stick around an be part of the evolution.

Bring a friend
        ----------
        Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

It is great to see others that have gained respect within the 356 community posting here. There are those of us who "skree" (I believe that was Gordon's spelling in his emailed observation of my Samba postings some time ago. It's actually "skreegh," or "skreigh," a Scottish term for "screech")(see, one can learn much from the Registry!)...and there are those who present observations, opinions and beliefs. I personally think it's important to always say we all support the Registry and stay on a positive track.

"We" who disagree with certain details of how the club is run may make us "enemies" of the (sitting and some past...and some supporters of the) trustees, but taking the high road on our "side" can only help bring attention to the 'disagreement' and force implementation of what's lacking or needs changing in club governance.

It's not all bad, either....it's more like a "Clean up on aisle 8.." over whatever loudspeaker "we" can commandeer other than the one of the Registry.(Thanks, Everett, thanks Justin.)

As I write this, there are 2,243 hits on this thread, the "discussion" thread....and 3,634 on the "litigation update" thread.

That tells me there are more who care about the lawsuit than talking about the club otherwise. Hummm, the interest therefore seems to slant toward the conflict between the power of a few in the club vs the power of one excommunicated member willing to use the power of the law to sort out what's going on.

Isn't it sad a 38 year old grown up (club) has to show it's been reduced to this level...where, no matter what, no one 'wins' and it ain't no FUN for a 356er!

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=7284
            OK, while attempting to not cross-post...let me try to engage others beyond the predictable few (who do make good points)and see some of the 100+ who have viewed this thread toss a few ideas, thoughts or opinions here. Let me try this:

How many have read the latest issue of the Registry magazine, seen the ideas of the trustees for posting minutes of meetings, financial information, getting disgruntled members back in the fold...oh, and an audit.....and realize those were some of the ideas that most of "us" posting here and formally on The Samba, thought would be beneficial to the club?
            How many realized those ideas got "us" labeled as "accusers" and "attackers"?

Anyone?
            Me.

I realize it only too well after reading Rosemary's copy of the magazine.
            Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jstenner" post=7720
              Bobby B, what SJ said......

I told myself I was just going to watch, not get involved, but one thing I'll add. No one who was involved or objectively witnessed what happened at that site can say "this group" (which is larger than the number of people willing to post) hasn't tried to find middle ground and understand what the other side has to say. I was blissfully unaware of the nature of the club until what began as a respectful discussion about the (unilateral) paywalling of the forum turned into a right-wing, hate-driven diatribe about entitlements (fostered by "leadership"). True dialog in the form of deliberation about pros/cons, future directions, membership input, and compromise was shut down, volunteers were "fired," and I was suddenly aware who felt "entitled" and who wasn't.

Frankly, based on past actions, I don't care what that "leadership" wants or says. They've clearly had it their way for far to long. If your representation of their position is any indication, they STILL don't get it. Only because I care, I hope Steve's action will serve to clean things up. If not, then things will be as they are until time/karma does its work.

Anyway, back to

P.S. do you really think someone would drop tens of thousands for some 2-bit mailing list of senile old men?...maybe a mailing list like that was valuable back in the Pony Express days, but times are changing....quickly, LOL.
              Welcome Jack. Nice to "see" you here.
              Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

I think I've made up my mind to renew my membership. Thanks to SZ, Bruce, and others who offered their two cents worth. I want to see where it goes from here. For what its worth, I have no enmity towards either side in this brouhaha. I have no deep seated mistrust of trustees (that's funny when you think about it!), no knowledge of any particular wrongdoings, and doubt in the end there will be any malfeasance found (though possibly misfeasance).

On the other hand, Mr. Heinrichs' original questions were reasonable and appropriate for an interested member to ask. The responses were inadequate to answer his questions, and even a non-legal non-accountant type like myself could recognize that. Not sure on whose side it first became personal, but after being told to pound sand, I can't fault him for pursuing legal remedy.

I do however fault the Registry Trustees for prolonging the legal stuff. IMHO, that was not the right approach. They had the ability to calm the waters and didn't. Either Mr. Heinrichs is right, we figure it all out, and move on. Or he is wrong, looks a little foolish, and we move on. But for the Registry to fight him on the release of what couldn't possibly be important information to anyone except a car club was just stupid. Now if the court upholds the Registry position, suspicions will always linger and the club will probably not move on.

Still, I've decided to stay and watch. Hopefully it will turn out to be the right decision. There are lots of very nice folks associated with 356s.

Oh, and like others have said, a big THANK YOU to Justin for creating what has rapidly become the best 356 site on the internet. Good luck on your amazing and ambitious projects Justin.

Take care,
                David Gensler
                (I usually just sign "DG" out of laziness, not any desire for secrecy)
                Thank you David! Its due to all the great people such as yourself that are steadily making this site a place of interest. Without guys like you this site is nowhere. Thanks once again! Justin

Comment

David:

As usual you are spot on. I'm glad you've decided to stay with the Registry as reasonableness is (or should be) welcome anywhere.

We're going to miss Wheeler this summer, BUT, we are planning, yet again, for Rosemary to be retired by the end of the year and I'll make that bucket list trek next summer. We'll be VERY slow but we'd love to go with you.

As for the WCH, there is a VERY slight chance we'll be able to leave here at the last minute in which case we'd probably just drive out, look around, say hello where we could and go see a friend near Taos if it isn't snowing too much by then. I know you're working on that event and thank you for it even if we don't get there.

I'd encourage you to run for trustee if I were a member. No, No. Don't thank me now.
                  Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes folks. I have been a "member" of this forum for a while, and have tried to start a thread on Foam Car, but have not gotten far with it. One of my frustrations I guess with having to go to 3 different forums to gain info rather than just one forum. All because the Registry does not want "freeloaders". Yes, I saw the comments in the latest Registry mag about making more info available to members. A move in the correct direction for a "club". We will see how long it takes to get that implemented.

I know some of are very frustrated and teed off about how you have been treated and communicated to by some in charge and some members at the Registry. Personally, I hope not to stoop to that mode of communication and name calling. Too bad some of them can dish it out but can not take it back.

Onward and upward - Phil Planck

Comment

DELETED

Comment

DELETED

Comment

I forgot to include my opinion on the Registry magazine. Personally I think it is a bit boring and out dated. I do look forward to getting it, but it is typically the same stuff each issue. Part of my perceived boredom is related to the fact that I am more of a hot rod guy at heart than a stock guy. I appreciate all the stock stuff, but it never really changes and does not allow for creativity. Don't want to get side tracked here so I will stop it here, magazine is OK, but dated. Web is where we all need to be.
                          Mark Erbesfield
                          57 356A
                          65 911
                          68 912
                          73 911S
                          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

For perspective, I just received the link below from a fellow veteran who also has been a Corvair nut as long as I have been a Porsche nut. (That was since before our being drafted for 'Nam by about 4 years.) He joined the Navy, I joined the Air Force....and we are the lucky ones. Others were not so lucky;

http://www.montney.com/inspire/memday.htm

And we get twisted by CAR CLUB 'stuff'? Not this weekend.....

Comment

Bruce,

I spent some time reading that link you posted. It amazed me. I had no idea your civil war caused so many casualties.

We should try always to enjoy each day and to be thankful we can do just that.

Roy

Comment

Thanks for the link Bruce. A grim reminder of the consequences of societies that can't get along. Just read a good article on page 1 of the Detroit Free Press about an Afghanistan vet who has made a documentary of his 25 fallen comrades while he was there. In our(my) age group I am sure we all personally know vets who made it home and a few friends who did not. Will be thinking of all of them this weekend. I personally call all of the survivors I know every Veteran's Day and thank them for their service. They have come to look forward to those calls. Phil Planck

Comment

Working...
                                X