No announcement yet.

Radio Free Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy, Phil, all, this July 3rd will mark the 150th anniversary of one great-great-grandfather of mine being shot during Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. I have been there numerous times and seen his name on a marker, but I doubt I'd get near that site this year...that whole area will be mobbed!

I have memorabilia from that war from both sides of my family. It was 'a big deal.'

That was a terrible time in our country's history, and it is still divided on many fronts today. You'd think people would learn from that, but apparently we are not as smart as we'd like to think we are.

That conflict invoked almost as much passion and almost as much divisiveness as the Registry litigation...how about that hit count?!

On a somber personal note;
    Phil, you made me think about calling my friends who served when 'Nam was at it's peak.....but in doing a mental inventory, I realized they are all gone now! Not from that war, but a plane crash, a motorcycle accident, 2 heart attacks and several from the big C (all attributed to smoking), all dying before age 67, one in his 30s and my best friend, a pilot, at age 50. Ouch.........Roy is exactly correct...enjoy each day that we get!

Comment

Originally posted by 356JAGER" post=7772
      Thanks Phil. . . . replies here are usually civil, but splashed with a bit of 'acidic sarcasm' when directed at those who come in blazing. If they don't come back then they either aren't really interested, or have another agenda.
      Best regards,
      Joel
      Wow! I'm honoured! Me thinks that your goad and flame was meant for me, the Toadie from the 'Other Side'! No worries, mate, rest assured, the former is true, or I wouldn't have bothered to post in the first place. I am very interested in the future of the Registry, and my usual agenda is to say nothing, but I will speak up when my personal beliefs and values are challenged. However, I will going forward, only choose to respond here if and when I feel that there would be a chance for rational bi-lateral debate, and not the dog-pile welcome I just received. I will now silently watch this 'most excellent adventure' from the sidelines, like so many others seem to do. After all, this forum doesn't appear to be a technical forum for the 356, but a collecting place for all the subjects that don't seem to have a welcome home elsewhere. For me, its about the cars, so I will predominantly hang out to where the 356s are discussed. But keep up the good work here, even though you don't take enough credit in recognizing that the Registry has been listening to all of you, and most of what was being asked for is slowly being granted to its membership. You have affected change, and change is happening, but just don't be surprised if 100% of what you demand is not granted.

Comment

Craig "thanking" "Robert Bosch"? OK, Craig, I've had your book since we were both young men, but who is "Robert Bosch"?

Anyway, the best quote so far is; "But keep up the good work here, even though you don't take enough credit in recognizing that the Registry has been listening to all of you, and most of what was being asked for is slowly being granted to its membership. You have affected change, and change is happening, but just don't be surprised if 100% of what you demand is not granted."

I, for one, will accept the left-handed compliment (after all, I'm left-handed) but will note that it unfortunately took in-fighting and a lawsuit to get ANY movement at all. Why is it "slowly being granted" and why is the term "granted" so seemingly representative of the haughtiness of the board through all this? Personally, I doubt that anything would have moved in the direction of "demands," nee; 'suggestions' made over the past few years if a lawsuit was not initiated.

It's some grumpy old men against some grumpier older men who have had the power to stubbornly resist simple changes with no reasonable communication as to what, why, how or to whose benefit the status quo is "good enough." It's been their way or the highway...and that has had the 'look' of something nefarious. That alone should be addressed and avoided if in a leadership role.

Please tell me that at least you, as a Registry supporter, have read the actual complaint and following motions and resolutions, orders and appeals. Please tell those of us on the outside why you support the Registry's status quo or would deny any percent of what Ohio law covers in how a NFP car club is to be run. What's been going on defies common sense, common courtesy and fairness. There seems to be no member equality. Respect has been ignored, even for those who have been Registry supporters for a VERY long time...and usually, with respect, you get what you give.

Porsche didn't produce 356s that were "good enough. Porsche 'got it' when it built the 356. A car club devoted to that auto should also 'get it' and get it right.

Comment

"After all, this forum doesn't appear to be a technical forum for the 356, but a collecting place for all the subjects that don't seem to have a welcome home elsewhere. For me, its about the cars, so I will predominantly hang out to where the 356s are discussed."

Having been on that Talk List/Forum for many, many years and having also boycotted it for a few months until being recently encouraged to review it occasionally, I may have missed a few things. New names prevail, so I will need to see if a "Robert Bosch" ever posted there. An easy search.

Rookie queries abound on the Registry site and a transitioned array of former questioners are now the resident experts. However, I have been (technically) challenged more lately by Samba-posted 356 questions than any on the Registry site. Go figure. Still, I suppose recycled basics like "values of the cars," beats just old ex-pats jawing about the Registry's biggest issues, especially why that site is ONLY "about the cars" and NOT about the club itself. Hey, we'd all be there if fairness played a role......

Comment

DELETED

Comment

Bruce, and All,
              The fact is that many of us are very interested in the future of the Registry, but silently watch from the sidelines to see what shakes out. Our usual agenda is to say nothing because there really isn't much chance of real debate. The several of you that like to post here do tend to pile-on, and the "other side" isn't even here. I was just thanking Robert Bosch, who I don't know, for stating this.
              Everyone pretty much understands the issues. David recently made a very good post summarizing this, and I thanked him too. You "predictable few", "accusers" and "attackers" (love those terms) should remember who authored "Perks", that infamous (but fairly popular) topic surprisingly allowed over there, at least until after the election. But only I think because we tippy-toed around the egg shells, and they could claim how tolerant they were being.
              Yes, it seems it took a lawsuit to get ANY movement...slowly..."granted". It is yet to be seen if there was a real wake-up call...
              Craig
              Craig Richter

Comment

At this point it all just sounds like bitching. The situation is F'ed up and I to will be hoping for the best. It is a lot like the current US politics. Don't like it but not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it. I am going to be part of the fun side of things and try to contribute to fun threads.
                Mark Erbesfield
                57 356A
                65 911
                68 912
                73 911S
                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

All,

I am going to break my self-imposed posting rule because the facts are so off base. The suject of "perks" is not now and has not been the subject at hand. If you read the old Registry thread that I started, it was not about perks at all. Moreover, it would be useful for all to simply go to the Ohio web site and read the complaint and counter complaint and other filings. That will tell you how this began and where it is now.

Steve Heinrichs

---back to the 550 thread here.

Comment

DELETED

Comment

• Steve,
                      Sorry I got off subject to your lawsuit. I did read complaint/counter complaint awhile back, but apparently couldn't properly comprehend everything. Mark and I are going back to the fun threads...
                      My Best,
                      Craig
                      Craig Richter

Comment

• ----------
                        Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

• "Having 'fun' is pretty much understood to be the goal of most of our species. As a veteran, on Memorial Day, I am reminded of those few who knew 'having fun' comes at a price, and that encompasses every level of our existence, even something a simple as a car club. My best to all my fellow vets, wherever you may be."

Joel, I saw my 94 year old mother today to share a Memorial Day 'picnic' style noon meal in the main dining room of her retirement community. I was privileged to overhear snippets of a conversation between two men at the next table swapping stories of their involvements in WW2. Phrases like "when we dropped into..." made me want to hear more and better, but hey, I was there for my Mom. Appropriately, at noon, the channel on the car's satellite radio on my way to Mom's..... played Taps. Sobering.

Best,
                          Bruce Baker, (USAF)

Comment

• DELETED

Comment

• I am bringing this quote across from the litigation thread, so as not to pollute that thread (as I did previously). Bill Sampson posted this earlier today in post # 7937:

"Steve Heinrichs filed the motion to dismiss the appeal as part of his case brought on behalf of himself and the membership.

Although I am in favor of the continuous improvement of the Registry as a club, it's website and magazine, I am not and never have been in favor of the particular method being employed by SH. Suing the club, creating division and conflict - all on behalf of the membership? Certainly there MUST have been a better course.

Comment

• DELETED

Comment

Working...
                                X