No announcement yet.

Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Very nice Justin. I have shrouds for all my engines but will have to keep Gerd in mind for other sheet metal needs. His shroud looks very nice

Let us know when you hear more about the dolly, I might be interested in getting one and have a friend who would likely also take one. Funny, I have the original Porsche blue prints for these dollies

Comment

Wow! That thing is so cool. Artwork to a Porsche Geek.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Hi Justin,

Shroud looks great - much nicer than the one on my 2 liter 4 cam motor - it got knocked around some in its racing life. Have you made any modifications to the internal vaning in the shroud to account for the difference between the 4 cam vs Polo motor? I know Ibrahim modifies the vaning for pushrod motor use vs 4 cam. He has also done some shrouds for Polo motors being built for Michael Doyle.

Let me know when you get to the sheet metal on the motor and installing the motor in the car. I can probably share some knowledge based on the install of the 4 cam motor in my 59A cab a couple of weeks ago. First batch of photos over on the Registry site.

Comment

Thank you so much Justin!
          Please let me know when the parts arrived safely!
          It's a pleisure for me that you and the others like it.
          That engine will be a bomb when finished.

Joris, I think it would really be interesting to make those dollies, there are also people here who would love to have it in their garage.
          It's so practical, it's small enogh to go through a normal door and it's very light because of the thin-wall tubes.

Thanks,
          Gerd
          www.breuer.shop

Comment

Gerd,

I can share the factory blue prints I have with you. I was thinking of making one myself but if you intend to make some that would be much easier. Let me know if I can help.

best,

Joris

Comment

Sounds good Joris!
              Will send you a p.m.

Best,
              Gerd
              www.breuer.shop

Comment

Hey Bill, No, Gerd builds his housings to exact specifications for an original 4-cam motor so I will modify the veins as necessary as locating and mounting this unit on my block progresses. You're a good man Bill, Thank you! I appreciate all of the help and advice you have given me through these past years.

That would be a nice offering, I think you guys would sell quite a few of those dolly's.

8/20/15
                New 4-cam fan housing arrives from metal master Gerd Breuer.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera2299.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	65805
                Even more beautiful and impressive in person. My new Generator stand slipped right in with all mounting holes lining up perfectly.

Name:	carrera2292.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	65806
                Overall profile shape, spot-weld details and even brazed in throttle tube complete the authentic look and feel.

Name:	carrera2298.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	65807
                I don't know if he's stamping these (marked pattern)but it sure looks clean enough to have been. Again the radius profile on the corners just looks and feels right. Generator stand snugs up nice. I could not be happier with it Gerd!

Name:	carrera2306.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	65808
                Generator and fan assembly test fitted next.

Name:	carrera2316.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	65810
                While opening it up and test fitting I have such a new appreciation as to just how intricate all this ducting and fan fitment is.

Name:	carrera2303.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	65809
                On this rough initial mock-up the fan fit in there nicely and seemed to spin freely.

Name:	carrera2305.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	65811
                I was like a kid on Christmas morning today. All I did was stare and play with it. Thanks again Gerd for providing such a high quality unit. This housing is more than worthy of mounting atop a real 100K 4-cam motor; of which I know many of your satisfied customers are doing.

Name:	carrera2310.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	65812
                Okay, now I had to see it on the block.

Name:	carrera2308.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	65813
                A lot of careful planning and machining to get these two to fit snug ahead but the process will be fun.

Name:	carrera2311.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	65814
                Added the chain-boxes and Nigel's coil stand to help show what the eventual motor will look like.

Name:	carrera2314.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	65815
                Once the housing is set in the sweet spot and mounted to the block the lateral closing tins will be developed. I'll probably end up making the prototypes from fiberglass then once finished I'll send them over to Gerd for a final copy in Sheet steel.

Name:	carrera2321.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	65816
                Well, it was fun while it lasted but I didn't want this baby flash rusting so I broke it down and got it sealed in a coat of DP40.

Name:	carrera2323.JPG
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	65817
                Getting all the nooks and crannies in there took a while.

Name:	carrera2325.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	65818
                I'll shoot a light work coat of black on them tomorrow just for fun. The real work on the planning of the machining to the top of the block is next. Thanks for looking and thank you again Gerd...you're the man!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Looks great Justin!!
                  www.breuer.shop

Comment

Show M

Name:	Aug_20.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	65821
                    ust Go On....
                    www.breuer.shop

Comment

Thanks Gerd! I'm sure you'll have no problem finding those a home.
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

that cooling system looks fantastic Justin!

there are some really talented people around and Gerd is obviously one of them!

if only i had the money...

Comment

Wicked!

Amazing work to all involved!!!
                          Jack Stenner
                          ---------------
                          1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                          1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Work of art!
                            Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Justin, just great pieces of work. A fantastic engineer for sure.

Roy

Comment

Thanks a lot you guys! Absolutely, Gerds creation is now the crowning jewel of this project. Neil, I can't honestly afford this engine either come to think of it I really can't afford the whole car itself. The only way this is slowly happening for me is that I am able to build it a dime a time. I'm still paying the balance on my card for this shroud BTW. I wait for the swelling of my outstanding balances to go down and then I make the next big purchase. If I could really afford this project it would have been done several years ago.
                                Thanks again you guys!

Name:	carrera2330.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	66142
                                Shroud in a quick workcoat of black "just to see"

Name:	carrera2332.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	66143
                                Thanks to some measurements provided by Bill Sargent and Joris Koning I was able to determine that the unit needs to come down onto the block a good 2 inches for the center of the generator shaft and the center of the crank to match the distance of an original 4-cam motor. This is in consideration for eventual decklid clearance.

Name:	carrera2331.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	66144
                                Initial mock-up shows the right side of the motor a natural aligned fit over the cylinders. I will have to incorporate an addition to the lower tin section to direct air into the stock rear mounted 911 oil cooler.

Name:	carrera2350.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	66145
                                Quick mock up with head and cylinder. I can tell already that the eventual lower tin section is going to be a straight shot off of the edge of the housing making for a really nice contoured line.

Name:	carrera2335.JPG
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	66146
                                Not all good news of course, as you can see the left side is badly misaligned an will require a bit more work but we'll eventually get air fed over to that last cylinder.

Name:	carrera2334.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	66147
                                Learning a few things about this system along the way too. You can see here that the flow is divided into four so each bank, cylinder and head are fed air separately.

Name:	carrera2352.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	66148
                                My machinist won't be able to mill the block until the first of October but my buddy Tony (master air-cooled mechanic) came by yesterday and started me on another "to do" list so we can determine the correct connecting rod length and get the Pauter rods for this engine ordered. Working on that next. Thanks for looking! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X