Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work as always

Comment

• So cool! So much work! Justin, you are surely one of the patron saints for these wonderful little cars. John

Comment

• Thanks Neil!

And thank you John! It pushes my patience alright, so much so that I have to walk away for a while to regroup. Which is why this next entry is a couple of months in the making.

Thanks again Guys!
        Justin
        8/11/18
        Cam tower weld clean up and detail.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6875.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	103077
        Time consuming job of opening and shaping all the ports and inner welds. All the non sealing and mating surfaces that don't require machine work.

Name:	IMG_6918.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	103078
        Began with the die grinder to get the rough shape first. Then a paper template was made of the pristine mate and the high spots where outlined with marker. Then it was all hand filing and sand paper shaping from there.

Name:	IMG_6917.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	103079
        This blob was next. Tried to get at least one aspect done a session but I got sidetracked as it slowly went.

Name:	IMG_6896.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	103081
        Moved onto shaping the outer details as close as possible.

Name:	IMG_7022.JPG
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	103082
        Slowly grinding and shaping out the lower fin details.

Name:	IMG_6941.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	103083
        Wasn't just the port openings but also the underside the spine as seen through this hole.

Name:	IMG_7536.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	103085
        This area was the most challenging and time consuming as most of it had to be done by hand all the while taking care not to bite into surrounding details around it.

Name:	IMG_6969.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	103084
        Not perfect and I might chase it more later but good for now. The worst thing about all this work was that I had to do it ALL twice.

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	103086
        Took a while but I got them both to the point where I could drop them off with Bill to perform the required machining and hole drilling.

Name:	IMG_6823.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	103080
        Another correction to make; the rocker won't slide in. Its a slip fit to begin with and we just missed it by a few thousands.

Name:	IMG_0545.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	103087
        Red highlights are for Bill. You'll notice the outer shoulder for the rocker is red. Since everything on that side of the weld is what moved I figure if we get our needed clearance from over there all should work out fine in the end. We'll see when I get these back from Bill!
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Regarding all that amazing detailwork you've already done and what's left over to do...
          I think it's much easier (and faster) to build a house.
          www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Hey Gerd, Thanks!

Yes, I think I could have built a house twice over. I really have taken the very long and impractical road of building a POLO engine as I just could have run a 911 fan housing and lopped the end of the cam towers off as Dean does but I get obsessed and have to have things a certain way to ever be satisfied with it all.

Name:	IMG_7568.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	103090
            As for what's left to do I am actually getting very close to being done with custom machining. I just got the block back from Bill again as he was boring the case through bolt holes to accept later 964 case through bolts and washers. Dean originally had it set up for the early style. Once I get the cam towers back the case has to go back to Bill one last time to machine it for the 964 chain boxes. All I can say is that I am crawling closer.
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Sixty years a go I started my apprenticeship as a tool maker. My first two weeks were spent filing rough formed squares to a standard that I thought acceptable. The toolroom foreman had these ready for me from his stock of items to make me begin to realize, filing and shaping is important as back then so many jobs were manual.
              Every now and then, he would turn up and inspect my work. After two weeks of this with instruction on how to use files, he then asked me to file a flat area that we would inspect. He used a vice along side me doing the same and together, we worked till I was satisfied. We then compared with a dial indicator set up on a surface plate, both his and my results.

Then I fully realized the importance of filing. His accuracy was amazing, mine was all over the place. Never ever forgotten him and I had huge respect for him till I left 5 years later on completion of my apprenticeship.

Your work with the file reminded me Justin very much of the effort required and the time involved to be happy with the result. You are doing well my friend.Your car will be that much different to anyone else's.

Roy

Comment

• about as, Roy?

Name:	apprentice.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	103151
                www.breuer.shop

Comment

• I am speechless Justin, I can't wait to catch up with you and the project. When you finally fire it up, you will probably be screaming like Doctor Victor Frankenstein---"It's alive, it's alive!".
                  "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

• Thanks a lot you guys and wishing you all a Happy New Year!

With the site being down all this time some forward progress happened.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0850.JPG Views:	2 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	103891

Bill had finished resurfacing for valve covers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0852.JPG Views:	1 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	103887
                    And the mounting face for the heads.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0854.JPG Views:	1 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	103888
                    Redrilling for the dowel pin and bolts holes for the heads was next.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0851.JPG Views:	1 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	103889
                    Also resurfacing the weld area on the inside for the head bolt as well. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0855.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	103890
                    A little closer with the final result cleaning up nice. More later and thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Next round of machining,

Name:	IMG_1079.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	105576
                      Bolt and dowel holes opened up to mount the heads. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	105577
                      We'd have to surface the inner weld should a bit more to clear the eventual wave washers.

Name:	IMG_1083.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	105578
                      Edge details where also carved out as best as possible.

Name:	IMG_1084.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	105579
                      Top side also surfaced and ready to accept some closing tin.

Name:	IMG_1086.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	105580
                      Closer still but not out of the woods just yet .

Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Last major hurdle: Cam journal alignment
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0861.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	105637
                        I was warned about and was expected but hope springs eternal.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0862.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	105638
                        After all the jigging and large centering dowel I thought we might get away with just a quick hone. ...but no The reattached end's journal was about a thousandth out to one side from the other two. Above is a shot and is about as far as I could go before it bound up. In this photo the cam has been inserted on the welded side and it did make it through the center journal but the third journal was a bridge too far. I almost got away with it.

Initial idea was a full line bore and to slightly over size all the journals for true center. I Thought I might be able to order special cams with oversize races to match the new journal size. After speaking with Dean it wasn't going to be a viable option as the raw billets available most likely would not have enough meat on them to work. The viable option now was to keep the journals stock.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1556.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.8 KB ID:	105639
                        So... I had my buddy Rick TIG the end bores.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1557.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	105640
                        Now it was onto getting them machined to true center with the two stock journals behind them.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3018.JPG Views:	0 Size:	211.1 KB ID:	105641
                        This phase was really touch and go for a few weeks. My machinist really isn't set up for line boring but he knew of another shop that was. He inquired for me and they were not interested in taking the project on. They recommended we just get new ones. Not really an over the counter item at this point. Bill, didn't want to leave me high and dry so he said he'd come up with a plan. A few weeks later he certainly did. He built a new holding fixture for his lathe that held this part at true center with the two stock journals. His set up had the work turning(towers) while the cutter stayed stationary. He still wasn't sure if this was going to work as he was concerned about "tool flex" I believe he called it as the cutting and leverage was way out at the end but he'd know the minute the cutter engaged.
                        As you can see above it worked and both cams spin in there beautifully! It was close, for a while there even Bill didn't think these where going to be savable. You can imagine my fear and frustration level with all the time, planning, welding and machine shop expense I already had in them. Failure really wasn't an option for me. Anyway, we pulled it off in the end and they finally a usable pair of cam towers.
                        More later...
                        Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 06-09-2019, 05:11 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Oil feeder tube reinstallation.

At long last with all welding and machine work completed I can finally reassemble the cam towers.

Name:	IMG_2691.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	105652
                          Original feeder tube cut down to length. Fortunately all the holes lined up. I'll take the win no matter how small at this point.

Name:	IMG_2706.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	105653
                          Bill machined me a new set of end caps and holding dowels to place the ones that where lost when the tubes were removed. Even made me this great locating and depth tool for the dowels since its a blind operation.

Name:	IMG_2694.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	105654
                          Machined slightly thinner for a slip in fit to both locate the tube and confirm how far the dowel needs to be driven in with that scribe line.

Name:	IMG_1318.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	105655
                          This was a shot I provided Bill of a lopped off tower to show him how far the dowel protrudes into the tube.

Name:	IMG_2692.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	105656
                          Tube inserted with locating tool doing its thing. This really helped things along; Bill sure took care of me.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2707.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.7 KB ID:	105658
                            Locking dowel pin in. The original was flush but this shank does not interfere with the cover or the seal so I'll leave it.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2705s.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	105660
                            Finished the install off with the new end cap.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2709.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	105659
                            And lastly the valve cover studs.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2708.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	105661
                            A very long and expensive road but...
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2710.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	105662
                            But I finally have a usable pair of bolt-on ready cam towers for this motor. Would I recommending going this route? NO! Would I do it again? HELL NO!
                            Dean's way is the smartest; lop off the end, weld up the corners and be done with it. Live and learn... Onto the next deal.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Last edited by JTR70; 06-10-2019, 06:40 AM.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Cam tower full mock up:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	198.2 KB ID:	105666
                              A few last shots of the welded up journals. Resurfaced nicely and as you can see plenty of heat penetration as it began bubbling the outside of the casting.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3018.JPG Views:	0 Size:	211.1 KB ID:	105667
                              Not as much heat thrown at this side.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	221.0 KB ID:	105668
                              Cam spins in there beautifully.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	268.1 KB ID:	105669
                              Rocker arms and shafts fit and operate equally as nice.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3012.JPG Views:	0 Size:	256.1 KB ID:	105670
                              Both towers officially ready for final assembly.

Thanks for looking!
                              Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• 964 oil conduit conversion.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	9460825.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	105734
                                This case was set up by Dean to run the earlier chain boxes with the external oil feed tube lines. 964&993 chain boxes have cast in oil conduit that takes the soft lines' place. Some of Dean's blocks had the provision casted in for this 964 option but as you can see this one does not as oil conduit is peeking just over that milled shoulder.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2866.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	105735
                                The final solution was a slip in stainless steel cylinder. Original gasket made for the perfect locating template.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3069.JPG Views:	0 Size:	197.6 KB ID:	105736
                                Case through bolt here also doubles as the oil galley so Bill came in through the top at an angle to plumb it into the new oil sleeve.
                                Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_2916.JPGViews:	0Size:	270.8 KBID:	105737
                                My original thought was pressed in alloy sleeve but Bill didn't think a perfect leak proof fit could be had due the galling upon insertion. His idea was this removable stainless steel sleeve with an O-ring on either side of the galley. The sleeve is marked for orientation with the new hole in the case but I also had him add in that relief in the event this tube ever rotates slightly. So now there's no chance of the cam on this side being starved for oil. Notice too the welded over soft line port above the case through bolt.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60830.jpg Views:	3 Size:	234.4 KB ID:	105738
                                Another shot of the angle Bill came in at to plumb the new feed tube. He's made me a cap to plug this tap hole off with. Another one down.

Thanks for looking!
                                Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 06-15-2019, 07:05 AM.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X