No announcement yet.

Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Manolin, Exactly its all just for fun.

"I need to win the Euro lottery first or r.. a bank"
    You and me both Per.
    Thanks again you guys! Justin
    6/16/15
    Initial mock-up of 547 style "coil stand"

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera2245.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	62554
    New stand was just quickly synched into approximate position with a single bolt so I could eye-ball it and take a few shots.

Name:	carrera2244.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	62553
    While I'm pretty sure it will clear my initial concern is the added final length this stand will put on this engine.

Name:	Achassis3447.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	62555
    This is a mock-up polo motor in that 58 hotrod I'm working on and due to the rear suspension mods this unit sits back a bit farther than it would in a stock position. Even with this change there is a good 3.5 inches of clearance with the rear tray so I think it will workout okay.

Name:	carrera2242.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	62552
    I'll have to come up with my own adapter/ base plate as that push-rod version will never work. I'm thinking mine will have a V-taper Similar to the original 547 base. Like everything else it will evolve as it progresses. It was a fun distraction today.
    Thanks for looking! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin is there anything you dont have ?
      How many of us have a extra mockup Polo engine, NOS dash etc to build our Porsches..... AND NOT using the parts!
      Really coming together nice...keep flashing all those nice photos for us
      /Per
      JOP

Comment

Justin,

I had to have an airbag module changed FOC by BMW today and whilst there took an old copy of a 'classic Porsche 'magazine to read. In it Rod Emory described the work he did in fitting two Polo engines into a a 58 coupe and a 56 speedster. Very interesting read. He fitted a 901 transmission with mated on 356 bellhousing and even shorter axles. The assembly was taken further forward in the 356 as well. He also named the guy who assembles the Polo engines for him in Oregon. He was using Weber carbs.

I sort of wanted to scan the pages for you but believe that is not allowed?.

Do you speak ever to Emory motorsports? He might well be good to speak to? He was getting around 200hp from memory.

Great photos above.

Roy

Comment

I get on here at my lunch break most every day. Today... this last post cracked me up. They still get publicity? Maybe that was an old magazine?

Justin, I have enough popcorn for everyone. In your sweet diplomatic way, tell Roy, tell us all.

(This will go way off topic for hours if the chicken shit lurkers actually speak up, too.)

The Chinese have been ripping off ideas and patents for years.

Comment

Ryles,

Just read your post above, now living in the back of beyond over here in the UK I have a question. Were your comments regarding Emory ?? The UK mag I read is some months old and maybe, with fully taking the text from memory, I must have got something really wrong there???

I thought Rod and I presume his late father were really good at their work on outlaw type cars, am I wrong there??

To me the 58 coupe and the speedster looked very nicely finished indeed from the photos.

I do have the mag outside in my BMW to correct my mistakes?

Roy

Roy

Comment

Roy, If you look at some older postings "Dean Polopolus falls victim ta an Outlaw" you will find some intressting story about Emory and the Polo engine......
              JOP

Comment

"Do you speak ever to Emory motorsports? He might well be good to speak to? He was getting around 200hp from memory."

Hey Roy,

No, I've never contacted them directly on anything and I don't foresee a need to as the project moves along. I'm in a really good spot at the moment. I have an aircooled engine builder Guru here locally in Tony Garcia and if I need more help than that I can ask the originator himself Dean Polopolus about any questions concerning his engine. With all the parts and prep that is going into it Dean said we could expect 230HP out of it. We'll see. The trans conversion itself is already very well along and is just a question of spare time and money to throw at it.
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

7/12/15

Beginning to round up more 3.6 liter 964 engine components.

While looking for 964 cam towers and chainboxes I was fortunate enough to hook up with a really great guy by the name of Kevin Roush owner of GAS motorsports in Upland. I received my first parts package from him last week.

Name:	carrera2262.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	63786
                  Very happy to of course get these big items in the purchased category.

Name:	carrera2260.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	63787
                  but then my initial order soon turned to all the small hardware you don't even think twice about until its time to put the engine together.

Name:	carrera2258.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	63788
                  I know I am still missing a good amount of small hardware but I did make a pretty good dent in it on this go around. I've found a few exploded parts diagrams of a 964 so I'll match that up with what I have and get my next purchase order ready.

Name:	deans58235.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	63789
                  Weird how a lot of parts came in all in one week. Dean brought me my new crank shaft yesterday when he picked up his car.

Name:	deans58236.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	63790
                  82mm Stroker crank. A beautiful piece and as long a throw as you can go without moving the oil pump outside of the motor.

Name:	deans58233.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	63791
                  Of course while Dean was here I was showing him all that I've gathered for this motor project so far. He really liked Nigel's V-drive casting and definitely approved of the 4-cam fan shroud going on as the photo above shows.
                  Thanks for looking! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

7/14/15
                    Test fitting newer 964 parts to begin figuring out what needs to be done.
                    Dean's engine blocks are machined and set up to run earlier version 911 components so several minor changes will be necessary to get these parts to work. Fortunately the basic 911 design has only slightly changed in detail through the years so these parts still basically fit.

Name:	carrera2266.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	63903
                    Much to my great relief the chain boxes bolted right up to the existing mounting holes. so the same basic pattern here.

Name:	carrera2268.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	63904
                    Earlier 911 motors run an external oil line to feed the cams however these later chain boxes have an incorporated oil galley instead. You can see the opening of this passage peaking out here. We'll have to add and tap a feed for this galley on the engine block. This is probably going to be the most involved modification to run these later boxes.

Name:	carrera2269.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	63905
                    Oil galley on the other side will also need some work but will only require an adaption.

Name:	carrera2270.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	63906
                    embossment will need to be drilled and tapped to accept these keeper bolt for the lower chain rail.

Name:	carrera2272.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	63907
                    Mocked up what I have of the tensioner assembly to get a better feel for it.

Name:	carrera2267.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	63908
                    I only have a basic working knowledge of the 911 engine but I suspect I'll know this engine intimately before its all up and running.
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Super photos Justin. Good start!

Roy

Comment

I agree with Roy. This is a magnificent build thread.
                        Please keep us informed on the machine work to be carried out and where you'll have the work done. I remember the heads & what a nice job Walt did.
                        Thank you for taking the time with clear pictures as well.

Comment

Wow Justin,
                          That will be a small dynamite package that you are installing in the back of your 356
                          Is all the "Sharpie" drawings the extra material that needs to be carved of that lovely cast?
                          I am very envy of your motor build....because I WANT IT 2
                          JOP

Comment

Justin,

Curious why the use of the 964/993 timing chain housings?

Tony
                            52 split window
                            62 T-6 cab

Comment

Thank you Roy and Manolin. Just like the car its going into to I wanted to share a detailed account of what it took to arrive at the finished product.
                              Hey Per, yes, the sharpie marks are a very conservative starting point for my buddy Bill to machine off. Tony, I wanted to run the latest and the greatest of the air-cooled 911 evolution. I'm already running 964 racing heads and cylinders so this choice just adds continuity to the long block. Thanks very much once again you guys!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

8/6/15

My new 4-cam fan housing ready to ship!

Metal Master Gerd Breuer just sent me these photos of my new housing that will be going out as soon as the paperwork clears customs. His workmanship and product presentation is nothing short of amazing!

Name:	jr1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	65131
                                Everything sure looks spot-on from all the photos I've ever seen of an original housing

Name:	jr3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	65132
                                Impressive inner vein construction.

Name:	jr2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	65133
                                He is truly an artist of the highest standard.

Name:	jr4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	65134
                                Here's Gerd's contact info if you're ever in need of one. The inlet ring is a new stamping he just finished to more accurately replicate the original.

Name:	jr5.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	65135
                                I complimented him on his nicely replicated chassis dolly but he said its actually an original factory Porsche dolly he bought from Ebay that needed only minor repair. He's thinking about making these as well.

Name:	jr6.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	65136
                                I drooled over these shots all afternoon, I hope you liked looking at them as much as I did. Even the back-drop and props where nice touch for the photos. Thanks again Gerd, I'm looking forward to getting it into my hands!!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X