Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin,
    Polishing surfaces and removing sharp corners significantly reduces the potential of crack origination; always a good thing for parts residing and working within a highly stressed operating environment. Keep up the good work!
    Tony
    "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Justin, I don't get it. My days have only 24hrs each.
      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Jack, how did you get a full 24 each day????

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Tony! My old mentor told me about Cracks, sharp edges and corners twenty years ago and it always stuck with me...

Hey Jack, Thanks! I guess I'm pulling off quite the illusion that a lot gets done. Still haven't completed the other case half as yet because I've been focusing my allotted hour to that rear fender. I am up to my eyeballs with that rusty chassis but I make it a point to spend one hour a visit on this project so least some part of the car is moving forward. I make it a point to bring my stop watch and set the time aside. I still get amazed at times with what can be accomplished with this small discipline. Gotta get that other case half done soon.
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
            Being new here I finally got some time from shoveling snow to look at other projects. WOW! that engine is going to be something to behold! Did Dean give you any idea of HP output? I'm with you I like torque and you should have it in spades! Keep up the good work!
            Regards,
            Don

Comment

Hey Don,
              Thanks a lot! I believe we are shooting for the 230HP range. Will definitely have it dyno'd to see what we actually yielded once this is all over. Thanks again Don!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

2/19/14

I spoke with Dean yesterday and he said they were just getting ready to do a run of crankshafts. He knows I want the biggest stroked crank we can get in there but he had to know the deck height of my pistons I bought first to ensure it would all clear. I'm shooting for an 80mm crank but said I might have to settle for 78mm if the deck is too high on the pistons. BTW: he's played with the idea of going up to an 82mm crank but this would require moving the oil pump outside of the block to get the clearance. Tempting but I don't want to get that crazy.
                So I was instructed to find the deck height from the center of the wrist pin. Had to call on my good friend Bill La Fever (expert machinist) to help me out with that one.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1870.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	37381
                Here's shot of Bill getting this technical measurement for me on his trueing table. Its a 500 pound, 5 inch thick slab of granite with a milled surface that's true by several thousands of an inch. Needless to say he has an amazingly equipped shop. Bill determined the deck height to be 31.521MM and the crown of the piston to be 42.190MM.
                I passed these numbers along to Dean later that day but told him I had made up my mind weather it clears or not I want the Big crank. I'll have these pistons fly-cut if needed. P&C sets come and go but the cranks are normally around the duration. I only want to buy one crank shaft. Anyway, waiting to hear back from Dean to see if these will work as is. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

What a great engine to do with your car. A very sensible option seeing that 4 cam engines are too expensive. A chap in the UK has one,from a 904, for sale. However, they aren't cheap and yours will produce more power.

Are you also changing to disc brakes? Seems sensible if you have 230+ horses in the back of the car.

Comment

Thanks a lot Neil! I could not agree more, Dean's creation is the best stand-in motor I could ever build or afford! I have a set of original GT drum brakes with RSK front drums for it. Once properly set up and adjusted they will be more than up to the task of slowing down this little car. Thanks again Neil!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

3/13/14
                      Finally finished up the other case half so I am officially done with polishing and shaping for windage.

Name:	Achassis1156.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	38962

Name:	Achassis1158.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	38963

Name:	Achassis1160.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	38964
                      Onto the next challenge. Thanks for looking! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Looking great Justin!!

Roy

Comment

Hey Justin - I saw these heads this past weekend at the LitMeet and thought of your engine.

Name:	image_2015-03-10.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	58044

Name:	image_2015-03-10-2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	58045
                          trevorcgates@gmail.com
                          Engine # P66909... are you out there
                          Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

6K for a set of repo heads and 15K for the OEM? I'm feeling alright with what I had to put into my heads.
                            Thanks for thinking of me Trevor.

Coincidental you posting here, I was just getting ready to update this thread with new development. At the bottom of page one I was talking about the stock 911 cooling fan that was going on it and that the dream set up for my car would be a retrofitted 4-cam cooling/charging unit.
                            Well I decided to go for the conversion.

Name:	carrera2138.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	58055
                            Here is what just arrived a few days ago from Peter Hofmanns Classic Parts.

Name:	carrera2139.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	58056

Name:	carrera2140.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	58057
                            Will post more detailed shots tomorrow.
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, you have come up with a unique idea, have you not? Good for you.
                              Let's give credit where credit it is due, much like Dean's special Polo engine you are using.
                              Watch out, I'll bet the idea gets ripped off and claimed by that Rob guy that copied the polo engine.
                              Feels like Emory cloth on your knuckles when they behave like thieving Outlaws.
                              Anyways-
                              This is true Porsche hot Rodding! WWW.POLOMOTOR.COM

Comment

Hello Manolin,

No, this is not my brainchild or even a relatively new one as Bill Sargent mentioned earlier in this thread Michael Doyle has been in the process of offering a run of Polo motors with a 4-cam shroud. Another fella by the name of Anand is also fitting one he recently purchased through Ibrahim Kuzu to his very early 911-4 cylinder motor. I just decided to follow their lead.

More pics:

Name:	carrera2123.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	58079
                                Here is almost everything save for the tin and few fasteners to build this unit.

Name:	carrera2124.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	58080
                                Peter was very helpful as he offered me specialized hardware I was not even aware that I needed at the point of purchase.

Name:	carrera2125.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	58081
                                The fan is a true work of art.

Name:	carrera2129.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	58086
                                Bill Sargent recommended I have those holding tabs on the fan blades TIG welded as cheap insurance as he knows of two repro-fans that came apart during the initial runs on a Dyno. A precaution I will be taking.

Name:	carrera2126.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	58082
                                This new casting I was most impressed with.

Name:	carrera2127.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	58083
                                Both front and back just "look the part" in every detail.

Name:	carrera2137.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	58085

Name:	carrera2128.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	58084

If it was greasy and used you would be hard pressed to tell it from an old original.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X