Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!
    I've been toying with the idea of updating my 356 engine. I like the way this is going. I just may follow your lead...

Comment

Thanks Greg, I am glad to hear that you approve so far! I'll be sure to keep the detailed updates coming as this engine slowly progresses so you can see if its direction you want to pursue.

Here are the last few shots I took that evening:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera2132.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	58092
      I had to see them together while I was looking at everything.

Name:	carrera2135.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	58093
      A very long way to go with a lot of machine work to do but I can a least begin to plan it out.

Name:	carrera2134.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	58094
      It of course is sitting back way too far but this was the best I could for the photo until the 911 fan saddle is machined off. More later, thanks for looking! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

My good friend Gerd Bruer (AKA: Blechqualer here on the forum) is well on his way to completing my new 4-cam fan shroud for this project. Below are a few shots he sent me of his masterful handywork!

Name:	Geblaese_Carrera.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	62278
        Looks like an old werks photo from back in the day! I think I see some GT tanks on the left there?

Name:	Geblaese_Juni_2015.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	62279

Name:	Geblaese2_Juni_2015.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	62280
        He probably has more time in forming and shaping the internal veins than he does in the actual shroud itself.

Name:	fanshroud.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	62281
        Can't wait until it gets here!!
        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, don't you think its a good idea to build a extra spare engine as well now that unsere Blechqualer has some extra 4-cam fan shrouds laying around on his garage floor
          His work on the shrouds look really first class as well does his pictures from his restorations site.

I'd love having the same set up as you are about to do for your #58367
          JOP

Comment

They are sweet - I could see one of those fan shrouds on my spyder. Would it retrofit a 356SC engine?

Name:	356SC.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	62312
            Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

Hey Per, Thank you!!

That's a great idea. I would love to build a spare but on my income I'll be very lucky to pull just one engine off in a timely manner.

Hey Andrew, Yes its been done several times over and it was Bill Sargent's "faux-cam" project on the Registry that's really shined a light on this conversion. As a matter of fact Bill introduced me to a really ambitious guy by the Name of Nigel Cousins in the UK who just set me up with a killer "coil stand"/mounting bracket for the eventual crank fired ignition system that's going on this engine. Take a look...

Name:	IMG_3006.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	62316
              Its a decoy 547 style V-drive which a pair of HEI Ford coils will sit atop to mimic distributors. Nice casting huh?

Name:	IMG_3007.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	62317
              Here it mounted on his 356 Push-rod engine with coils on top. Note the 4-cam shroud. The oil lines are fakes as there are no moving parts inside. You can see the degree wheel mounted in there with the sensor lead. His kit is specifically for 356/912 engines so I'll have to make my own mount plate for my polo application.

Andrew, I'll start a separate thread for the rest of his offerings that will really get your mind racing.
              Justin Rio

Comment

There is hope!
                Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

How would this motor look in your car Andrew?

Name:	untitled2_2015-06-12.png
Views:	207
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	62330
                  More details here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/27888-356912-engine-into-4-cam-Carrera-look.html
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

Now.. those fan shrouds look just fantastic. That guy mist be a great engineer, super looking work. Nothing to cut to make them fit! Really great.

Nigel Cousins ( if its the same guy over here has really gone to town with his rep speedster. So hard to tell as it has a lot of 356 major items in it. Very nice work indeed. I attach a few photos of his car and I have a written article on him too somewhere.

Name:	2009_0830breakfstmtg0015_2015-06-12.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	62334

Name:	2009_0830breakfstmtg0016_2015-06-12.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	62335

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080030.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	62336

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080031_2015-06-12.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	62337

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080032_2015-06-12.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	62338

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080033_2015-06-12.JPG
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	62339

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080034_2015-06-12.JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	62340

I took these 7 years ago at goodwood. I have the article to find but I am so sure its the right car. It really impressed me as I usually only take a few photos.

Will try to find the report. I wanted one of the engine but don't have it.

Roy

Name:	2008_0919goodwoodrevival080030.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	62336

Comment

Very nice and I think that is the main tell?

PS I followed bits of Bill Thread on the reg and it's all very impressive but I'm still being left to wonder why? The 4 cam has a unique place in Porsche history but why try to copy the outward appearance?

Comment

Name:	image_2015-06-12.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	62356

That IF you do not like faux that is..... Ohh, and I would have my pokerface on and just say its all original
                        JOP

Comment

You just have to revert back to page one of this thread to see the advantages of this engine. The engineering involved is way beyond most engineers capability, its really mind blowing in fact. I have so much regard for good engineers in that respect. I am ( or was ) fastidious in holding machined parts to tight tolerances but I had drawings to work from. The developement and design engineers are the people that I hold in high regard. No wonder it took 20 years to get those castings completed they are works of art in themselves.

To have the polo engine all working with that lovely shroud will be fantastic and I guess more reliable in operation for street use than the Fuhrmann 4 cam.

Roy

Comment

I remember that car Roy. With the attention on detail it wouldn't surprise me if it belonged to the same guy. Thanks, I agree, I think the extra effort and expense of mounting this 4-cam style cooler will only enhance this engine.

The Capricorn engine is amazing Per but the serious initial buy-in expense is only your first hurdle. You must then go out and hire one of the only 25 or so mechanics left in the world that still knows how to build and maintain this complicated engine properly. You'd be looking at least another 30-40K to build it with one of these guys. In the end, what will you have? 4-cams yes, but still only 2 liters and maybe 160HP if you really push it but then reliability becomes a factor. Now for under half that kind of money you only get 2 cams, but room for up to 2.9 liters and 200+ HP with all the serviceability and reliability of a 911 engine. I'm more than happy to live without those two extra cams.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

The expense of the Capricorn is not the only thing putting it in its own league, the 4 cam club is exclusive because of rarity, followed by cost.
                              Building any fauxcam to the level your engine, Justin, is simply fun and propels you into a category all your own. The simplicity of building a better mousetrap.
                              This is a departure from those copy cat guys who pass of others ideas as their own. The term Outlaw defines them better than their cars.

Your signature on this work of (engineering)art is what makes the 356 hot rod movement go!
                              A far different approach showing genuine talent, ingenuity, and individuality.

Comment

Thank you Justin, you are doing the right thing going Polo
                                Ofcourse the 2/3 off a 911 engine is better than some old version of the boxer 4

I never thought of the Capricorn engine in a "IKEA" kit.... I just assumed a loongblock... I guess I would have been in for a Suprise on delivery.....
                                ( I need to win the Euro lottery first or r.. a bank )
                                JOP

Comment

Working...
                                X