Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin
    I ended up here trough a link on Pelican.
    Realy impresed what you are posting here!
    Till now in to 911s' but your posts wants my to start a A project also.
    But about half the work and money you are investing
    I hope you will finish it to the end,great project!
    Regards

Comment

• Thank you Roy!

Thanks again Dave, its really appreciated! Hope you're making some head way on your new A coupe!
      Justin

8/15/17

New ARP head stud set.

Finally took the plunge and decided on ARP raceware. Considering Per's recommendation for Supertech headstuds I combed through several forum topics on the subject of 911 headstuds and it basically came down between these two manufacturers. No one had ever heard of an ARP bolt failing so it all seems to boil down to personal opinion and taste. Once I saw the owner of LN Engineering chime in and say ARP is what they recommend for use with their alloy barrels I was sold.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5307.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	90652
      Not cheap at 600.00 for this set but as my buddy Tony says this is one of those areas where you should be spending the real money.

Name:	IMG_5308.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	90653
      Set comes complete with case hardened (and whatever else magic they do)washers and nuts.

Name:	IMG_5316.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	90654
      Installed with just a few turns to see what I got. The stainless steel is just beautiful.

Name:	IMG_5317.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	90655
      Really like the bull nose ends on these too.

Lots more expensive parts yet to buy but I'm chipping at it.

Name:	IMG_5282.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	90656
      As the lower closing tin development goes I'm getting to a point where I have to begin thinking about intake manifolds. An initial mock up here to begin dialing in the carb location. Like just about everything else I've got to consult with Tony on their final length, shape and size for optimal performance for what I want this engine to do. I'm in way over my head technically speaking but I'm very fortunate to have an air-cooled genius here locally.
      Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• 8/23/17

Gathering and ordering more engine parts.

I want to start getting the rotating assembly built so Dean told me to have the rod journals mic'ed to begin the process of getting the rods and bearings ordered.

Name:	IMG_5340A.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	90859
        My good friend Bill was kind enough to do that for me.

Name:	IMG_5341.JPG
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	90860
        Crank is brand new so they all came out the same at 1.9982. This is a Chevy 350 rod journal BTW. Dean thought that was on the small side but remembered this crank was turned for some sort of special application. Anyway my next call was to Pauter Machine to order both the rods and Clevite race bearings to fit this particular crank.
        After some confirmation between the Pauter and Dean we (actually they ) decided on a 130mm rod which will put the pin height of the eventually made piston at 25mm. This will begin to encroach on the lower ring but they are all in agreement that it won't affect anything. The rods are being built now and will run 1,200.00 for a set. I inquired about their titanium version and they are 1,080.00 Each!! It was tempting but that kind of difference has to go into other components.

Name:	IMG_5397.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	90861
        Main bearings for this engine are Standard 3.0-3.6 liter 911 so I took delivery of a new set from Glyco yesterday.

As a side note, while talking with Dean we got onto induction systems and I told him I was more of an EFI fan than Carbs.

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	90862
        He sent me a few shots of these new throttle bodies by Borla.

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	90863
        They are exactly the same dimension as a 48 Weber so his existing manifolds bolt right up. If I can get them in a raw finish I think I'm sold.

More later...

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Ah the engineering side I like that, I begin immediately to feel more comfortable when micrometers are in action

Those throttle bodies look great don't they.

Nice to see all these recent developments taking place.

Roy

Comment

• Agree Roy, those injections bodies are very nice.

10/6/17
            New components from Pauter Machine arrive.

Name:	IMG_5643.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	92066
            About a month lead time to build the rods but they finally arrived today.

Name:	IMG_5644.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	92067
            Also purchased their straight cut gear set for 911. Always loved the sound of a gear drive in an old V8 so once I saw they offered this, I wanted it!

Name:	IMG_5645.JPG
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	92068
            Purchased a set of clevite rod bearings through them as well. Dean recommend that these be machined to ensure proper shoulder clearance versus buying them "off the shelf". So Pauter performed that service as well.

Name:	IMG_5647.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	92069
            Gorgeous 130mm units. Brian Pauter recommended we put the longest rod in there. So after conferring with Dean it was 130MM max without the need to "stack the block".

Name:	IMG_5646.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	92070
            Topped off with ARP rod bolts. Well, this added another 2K to this build but its the way I need it to make me happy and I'm one step closer. Will be ordering the Pistons from JE next.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

All those new parts look great!! Its going to be a nice engine!!
              Your dad will be surprised when he finally hears that running I think!

Roy

Comment

• Boy, with commital purchase of custom rods, the most technical challenging, but fun, threshold has now been crossed....the mathematical fun now truly begins. The combustion integral design features are now the next challenge prior to getting pistons made. My mind is getting busy with all the imagination juices flowing like crazy (I am actually listening to Pink Floyd as I chime in). LOL
                "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

• Hi this is really turning into a perfect dream engine for the 356. If i may. Once you decide on fuel injection that gorgeous generator will be a serious disadvantage as there will not be enough electrons to run the system. I have had various issues with this when adding fi to beetle engines. There are alternator conversions to fit into 356 generators and it is my opinion that you should consider something like this.
                  Regards
                  Armand

Comment

• Thanks Tony!

Great point Armand and I am looking into a custom Alternator set up for this specific application. Its in the planning phase and I'll post details about that here shortly.

3/4/18

Begin Welding cam towers and valve covers.

Finally caught my buddy Rick on a slow weekend to begin TIG'ing these parts up.

Name:	IMG_6800.JPG
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	97566
                    Angle grinding the edge in preparation for the Root pass. This just ensures the cross sections are thoroughly welded.

Name:	IMG_6801.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	97567
                    First tower Jigged back up and placed in the oven to preheat the entire unit up to 450 degrees to "normalize" it before laying the serious heat down during the iniital root weld.

Name:	IMG_6802.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	97568
                    Initial root and weld complete top side.

Name:	IMG_6803.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	97569
                    Some impurities seeping though but a nice flow otherwise.

Name:	IMG_6804.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	97570
                    A little more build up needed at the edges and corners so the machinist has enough material to work with later on. Next was dismounting it from the base plate to get at the bottom side. Had to cool down first.

Name:	IMG_6805.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	97571
                    While it did we prepped a lower valve cover.

Name:	IMG_6807.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	97572
                    Initial pass and again some filling yet needed at the edges and the middle so Bill can machine in the rib details.

Name:	IMG_6808.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	97573
                    Cooled with base plate removed.

Name:	IMG_6809.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	97574
                    Ready to begin welding on this side.

Name:	IMG_6810.JPG
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	97575
                    initial pass complete. He was really throwing the Amps at this; it was really hot and the welding was pretty loud for TIG.

Name:	IMG_6811.JPG
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	97576
                    So far so good with minimal warp. Rocker dowels slip in and out nicely but the big cam dowel does bind so it will need to be line bored along with the rest of the required machining. I expected it though but I did hold out some hope that it wouldn't need it. Just excited to have it glued back together at this point. Finishing this one and welding the last one tomorrow.
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi Justin,

Hard to tell from photos if your generator stand is the 1600 Carrera version for the small 6V/12V generators, or is the later Carrera II gen stand that was for the large 450 watt 12V generator specific to Carrera IIs. If it is the 1600 Carrera gen stand for small generators, you may be out of luck trying to get an alternator to fit. There is an alternator made by Andy Prill in the UK but it is 100mm in diameter. The gen mount hole in the 1600 gen stand, if milled out to 100 mm, leaves only 2 or 3 mm wall thickness - probably not enough for any durability - I looked at doing this. If you have the larger Carrera II gen stand, you could use the 100mm alternator with some sort of sleeve around it. The fan shroud will fit either the 1600 or Carrera II gen stand. I believe the fan itself is specific to 1600 or Carrera II.

You may want to speak with Jacques LeFriant about generators for Carrera motors. He may have a solution.

Comment

• Hi Justin
                        Regarding the welding on the cam housing,is this always the way to go?
                        Is Dean using this same proces,and i was wondering if somebody is producing these in cnc?
                        Great reading!
                        Thanks Dave

Comment

• Hi
                          When Emory Motorsports uses this type of engine they upgrade some of the parts but i think these CNC parts are for their own consumption.
                          j

Comment

• I know that Rothsport is building these for Emory.
                            Using coil by plug and efi etc.
                            From what i understand they produce also the crank case themself.
                            I ordered a case from Dean,and was wondering if the only solution is the cut and welding of the houses.
                            I will give hime a call and ask.
                            Dave

Comment

• Hi Bill,
                              I have the small 12V stand and generator which all came from Peter Hoffman. I'm only in the planning phase of the potential alternator but I'm looking into turning my own custom housing for this specific application. I'll be sure to post that as it goes.

Dave, You have probably already spoken with Dean but the way he does the cam towers is by far the most practical and easiest way which is to simply lop off the end and cap it. What I have done here was just an experiment mainly for asthetics but what I have done is literally gone a 100 miles out of my way to reach the same destination. A ton more machining time, more welding and more hand finishing and I'm still not absolutely sure its going to work in the end. I would'nt attempt it again but I'm in too far now to quit.
                              CNC machining these from billet would not be a viable option as towers are plentiful. just cut off the end and its ready.
                              My plan is for "coil on plug" ingnition and EFI as well. The crank cases that they are produing is a whole sorted business. Talk with Dean if you want to know about that.

Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• 5/28/18

Very slow and tedious process of finish shaping all of these weld joints so its been hard to get motived to post the progress. Next few entries might be out of sequence as I get it caught back up.

Lower valve covers

Name:	IMG_6819.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	101005
                                Both fully TIG'd together with plenty of excess for machining and final shaping.

Name:	IMG_6820.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	101006
                                My machinist will both route and level the seal relief.

Name:	IMG_6818.JPG
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	101007
                                Once I got them home I began file shaping the non critical areas. Some mild porosity but nothing serious.

Name:	IMG_6935.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	101008
                                Mock up gasket cut and glued and both ready for the machine shop. The rest of the inner weld joint will be left alone for strength.

Name:	IMG_6936.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	101009
                                I'm having the waffle pattern routed out as well for aesthetics.

Name:	IMG_7567.JPG
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	101010
                                Fast forward several weeks and Bill finally knocked them out for me.

Name:	IMG_7584.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	101011
                                Gasket relief cleaned out nicely.

Name:	IMG_7585.JPG
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	101012
                                Gasket fits great and should have no leaking issues.

Name:	IMG_7586.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	101013
                                Bill did a fantastic job of cleaning and saving this beveled stand-off shape as well as leveling the weld in and around it. Couldn't have been happier with it.

Name:	IMG_7582.JPG
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	101014
                                Began hand shaping the waffle pattern the rest of the way. Again some minor porosity but nothing serious. Might fill this pits with some solder before its all over.

Name:	IMG_7583.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	101015
                                Tough to get in there but this piece of steel I had lying around was the perfect width. Sometimes I get lucky.

Name:	IMG_7587.JPG
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	101016
                                Onto the next little box. Its already very scary the amount of time I have invested in filing and shaping already. I'm still not even half way there yet. Labor of love...
                                More later...
                                Thanks for looking!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X