Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin,

So much thought is needed and the cash as well. Make a mistake and I think this is such an interesting project that has to work when assembled. Really interesting reading it and yes those pics are suberb.

Roy

Comment

• Justin, have you given any thought to the aftermarket valve covers used by Dean that have Porsche cast into them. They are rounded and look kind of like Carrera 2 valve covers? I thought they were trick and had 4 cam look to them.

Michael Foster

Comment

• Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion. What an exotic process. I checked with a few outfits but they only want to deal with production runs; no one-off type jobs. So, they're going to have to be TIG'd back together locally. The guy who's going to weld them knows his stuff right down to the pre-heating of the assemblies in an oven before laying down any tacks so I'm pretty confident that they'll turn out okay. Famous last words.

Click image for larger version

Name:	acoupst104.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	81576
        My 901 swing-axle conversion is still sitting in the corner of my shop. Once Bill finishes all the machine work on the engine I'll start planning and getting him started on the custom flange, machine work to the case and the side covers for it. This entire drivetrain had such a long way to go.
        Thanks again for the welding suggestion.

Absolutely Roy, a ton of time spent in just the planning. Especially on the tin work for the 4-cam shroud. I've lost track of the amount of hours I've got into ensuring enough air gets to that rear cylinder and I'm still not done. As far as the money goes I'm thinking its going to approach 60K by the time its a full "turn-key" engine with all parts and Machine shop time.(not including my time in making and ducting the shroud to work)

Name:	aaaaaaaa1962_356_HT_Outlaw_002.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	81578
        I'm very familiar with these covers Michael and I was originally going in that direction until I decided to build this block with all 964 components.

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaa5308813_orig.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	81577
        Once I saw this guys engine I wanted to build mine as a 964 in miniature (as Mark said)too. Those custom covers also run 1k a set so I decided it wasn't that important for it to read "Porsche". That money will be better spent on an ARP head stud set.
        Thanks for all the suggestions you guys!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice picture of engine with the 964 valve covers. Does owner have website showing his engine build?

Michael

Comment

• He's a member here but has since gone dormant. He had posted a bunch of his progress shots but for whatever reason most of his images have been lost. Something to do with his host server I'm guessing? Its here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/1845-The-Polopolus-4-cylinder-911-engine.html?limit=6&start=30
            User: ADV-Performance

Here are some shots of the finished engine.

Name:	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAdvp.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	81604
            4 cylinder 964 engine....

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaadvp.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	81605
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Wow, Justin it looks like a package of real power to be installed in a 356
              Do you take bookings for "testdrives" already? I'd like to get put my name on your VIP list

Henry Schmidt @ supertec makes some really nice head studs for the 911 IF you havent already done your shopping

http://www.supertecperformance.com/new-porsche-products.phtml

To bad that so many pictures are gone from ADC-Performace
              JOP

Comment

• Thanks alot Per, I'll keep them in mind.

4/2/17

This entry is months over due as I've been wrestling with and obsessing over the final shape of the forward lower closing tins. As time has allowed I've gone through several generations of shapes before I finally settled on one that suits my needs with the 964 chain boxes I'm running while giving me the final presentation I'm looking for. I know, who really cares how it looks as its just lower closing tin for god's sake but... I care, and if I don't like looking at it I'm just never going to be happy.

Name:	Achassis5337.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	86988
                This was where I was at several months ago and little did I realize I was heading in the wrong direction. I was relief cutting the tin to accomidate more of a 911 intake arrangement.

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	86989
                By a timely coincedence I recieved this photo along with several others from Dean P. The Polo motor above is one of two Polo engines being fitted with 4-cam blower housings which are going into a pair spot on 550 replicas that Joe Cavaglieri is building. I had seen this engine several years before through Bill but they had yet to build the lower tins. BTW it was this engine that inspired me. Anyway, these are alloy mock-ups and the final parts will be done in steel but the basic shape just knocked my socks off. This is how they should look! The intakes manifolds are custom casting they did to replicate the carb position on a real 4-cam motor; Yet another critical build detail I was going wrong with.

Name:	carrera3153.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	86990
                After studying Dean's shots I was now completely unhappy with my rudimentary triangular extension. This is the difference between a pro and a novice like me.

Name:	aaa6152.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	86991
                Another detail I missed was how the lower tins flare and expand off the shape of the blower housing. I was incorrectly continuing the line down to the cam tower.

Name:	Coupster014.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	86992

This began my series of modifications to my first model to achieve a finished look that wasn't so simple looking and yet incorporated ques from both the Cavaglieri photo and the original tin all the while working with my specific application as these other polo motors are running the earlier and wider chain boxes. Not a tall order at all

Name:	con-vert006.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	86993
                After many weld , reshape and reweld attempts I had something a little better but I was still having trouble getting a clean relief shape in and around that chain tensioner cap that will eventually occupy that space. Again the earlier boxes don't have this so this is a change I have to make specifically for my motor.

Name:	con-vert092.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	86994

After several weeks and more time spent on it this piece then I ever should have or care to admit I still didn't have the final product I wanted.

Name:	Con-vert186.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	86995

Decided to scrap it and began rumaging through my remnant embossed chassis panel sections in search of basic relief shapes then started the expriments from there.

There seems to be a pleat or raised relief where I've marked and I really liked it and wanted to replicate it in some fashion.

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	86997
                However, when you study it from this angle it doesn't exist. The camera and the lighting in that shot was just playing tricks but it gave me a feature that I wanted to somehow incorporate.

Name:	GScar013.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	86996
                As it slowly developed I experimented with an overlap two piece section like the OG four-cam metal showed above.

Name:	GScar023.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	86998
                I was getting closer with sweeping shapes and the pleat effect I wanted but..

Name:	GScar031.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	86999
                It sort of went its own direct by the time I closed up the face.

Name:	GScar033.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	87000
                When I shut the lights off for the night I thought I was done but the next day I realized nah, I hate it. Back to the drawing board.

Name:	Con-vert330.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	87001

Final example. It had to be I had spent way too much time on just this one lousy corner and still had three more to go. I changed the lower concave relief to convex with a sweeping relief as it approaches the tensioner cap for clearance and that turned the trick and got me to a smoother and more flowing shape I wanted. I'll post more photos of it next but its at least not that blocky-triangle piece I originally had in there.
                I know this was all overboard and crazy but I'm much happier with it now.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Attached Files
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

It took me quite some time to go through all the photo's to understand the situation. Finally towards the end it became much easier to see exactly what you wanted. The final photo does show what I would want to see myself. When finished off I think it will look ' in keeping ' with the flow of the other casings. Really so difficult to get your head round that. But... worth all the time you have spent getting there.

Half way through my study of the problem I wondered if a form of templates could be made but with all those opposing curves it would be difficult to produce likewise drawing it would be the same. Lucky you had those photos sent to you to keep you on track and finding another way.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy, glad to hear you were able to make out "heads or tails" in my ramblings. Yeah, since I can't draw very well I had no choice but to mock it up in steel make tons of mistakes and corrections then go from there.

Name:	GScar038.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	87044
                    Certainly more time invested than it was worth to arrive here if I was paying someone but I finally ended up with a shape I can live with.

Name:	GScar043.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	87045
                    Remounted one more time before I trimmed away the excess metal. Tack welds dressed so I could do some light planishing and shape adjustment.

Name:	GScar039.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	87046
                    Its about right down the middle as far as the form following function and at the very least it's a shape I can now live with. Have to as its way past time to move on. I can't waste any more time on this one section.

Name:	GScar046.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	87047
                    After a nice bath in acid to get it clean for TIG welding.
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/8/17

Stitching it up. From a few weeks ago.

Name:	GScar049.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	87204
                      Remounted before TIGing to preserve shape and mount hole alignment from heat distortion. Made that mistake on the last version.

Name:	GScar052.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	87205
                      Much easier to weld with the motor on its side.

Name:	GScar054.JPG
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	87206
                      Began slowly stitching it together.

Name:	GScar058.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	87207
                      Just about welded up.

Name:	GScar062.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	87208
                      dipped in acid again then areas in and around the welds planished for desired shape.

Name:	GScar063.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	87209
                      I like it alot better than my first attempt.

Name:	GScar064.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	87210
                      I'm expecting some slight clearance issues with the eventual cap but it shouldn't require too much adjustment.

Name:	GScar067.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	87211
                      Not 100% done but close enough for now.

Name:	GScar069.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	87212
                      Moving onto building a mate for the right side.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

That result was worth the effort!!It looks in keeping with the shroud and blends in very well. Hope that cap will fits on ok!!

Roy

Comment

• Thanks for saying so Roy, I really appreciate the positive feedback on it! I still look at very critically and think I could have done better but it really is a case of form following function first. I'll just have to learn to love it because I just have to move on. If it does its job properly I like it even more. Thanks again!
                          Justin

4/9/17
                          Right side closing corner.

Name:	GScar070.JPG
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	87218
                          Planning out the best position and trimming off the excess next.

Name:	GScar034.JPG
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	87219
                          BTW: these side pieces are the inner closing wall with the relief shape for turning clearance. As I rumaged through my scap sections this relief shape made for a great starting point and provided the expansion profile I was after.

Name:	GScar071.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	87220
                          initial trim and beggining to wrap it around the corner with a little heat along the way.

Name:	Con-vert338.JPG
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	87221
                          Began adding in the second shape and relief cutting it for desired profile.

Name:	Con-vert344.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	87222
                          Slowly worked it in, added more reliefs so I could get it to sweep then taper back toward the housing at the top.

Name:	Con-vert343.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	87223
                          Shooting for as much symmetry as possible.

Name:	Con-vert345.JPG
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	87224

Name:	Con-vert346.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	87225

Name:	Con-vert347.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	87226
                          Beginning paper templates to figure out a shape for that last inner section.
                          More later...

Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/16/17

Right lower closing corner continued.

Name:	Con-vert380.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	87460
                            Finally settled on an expanded/swoopy profile then began tacking them together.

Name:	Con-vert379.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	87461
                            Mirrored the left as close as I could while allowing it to work with this sides requirements.

Name:	Con-vert391.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	87462
                            Went back to paper to develope a closing shape that would work and that I could live with.

Name:	Con-vert393.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	87463
                            settled on this funnel profile.

Name:	Con-vert404.JPG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	87468
                            Next will be trimming for butted end joint.

Name:	Con-vert394.JPG
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	87464
                            Basic closing shape completed.

Name:	Con-vert395.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	87465
                            Vantage point I'll be seeing most of the time once its all said and done.

Name:	Con-vert398.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	87466
                            This side went alot quicker. Sure helps to have a basic settled on shape to copy from.

Name:	Con-vert399.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	87467

Name:	Con-vert405.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	87469
                            Trimming and carefully locating and drilling in the mount holes next.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/26/17

Cam tower and valve cover sectioning complete.

Name:	GScar102.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	87883
                              Bill was finally able to finish sectioning these parts so I can move onto the tricky part of getting them TIG welded back together with as little deformation as possible.

Name:	GScar111.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	87884
                              Lower covers sectioned just like the towers and upper covers before.

Name:	GScar104.JPG
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	87885
                              Won't be a seamless transition around this lower portion but will detail shape it as best as I can after welding.

Name:	GScar103.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	87886
                              Other pair bolted to the Jig plates Bill made for me.

Name:	GScar105.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	87887
                              Definitely the Long-way home but I couldn't be happier with how everything is turning out so far.

Name:	GScar107.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	87888
                              Quick mock up on the engine. Well, one more step closer.

Name:	GScar113.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	87889
                              TIG welding is next for these.

Thanks for looking!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice work Justin I am sure you will be pleased to look at the work you did every time you lift the lid. It blends in so well.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X