No announcement yet.

Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree, the Gauge Pilot looks amazing. Now just have to figure out how to hide all the data collectors on my 911.
    Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Hey Nigel,

Thanks, I will certainly keep the Gaugepilot unit in mind. I may go with the earlier linkage as Bill suggested as well but I'm just not there yet, but soon hopefully. Thanks again! Justin

7/17/16

Just took delivery of my new "Big Bore" kit for this engine. Sort of 356/1720 Big bore upgrade except for this "polo".
      My air cooled engine Guru-buddy Tony G. recommended We go a little larger on the bore than the 102MM set I bought originally. With the 82mm stroke crank its running his thought was that slight "piston rock" as it cycled through might become an issue. He said a 103 or 104mm set might go along way in smoothing that out during operation. Who was I to argue? My next stop was LN Engineering's website to see what a set of 104MM P&C's would run. As I went through their offerings low and behold they offered a 106MM set. I wanted them; I thought what the hell if I'm buying a new set anyway lets go all the way!! A complete set of 6 106mm P&C's runs 5,650.00 but I only need 4 barrels minus the pistons as they will be made to the specs Tony determines later on. I spoke with Dean about them and he was shocked that they went that big. He chuckled a little and said "man you are really going for the gusto" LOL. He told me to hold off and let him investigate further with an inside contact there to see how durable a size that big would be. Everything checked out to his satisfaction and set of 4 106mm barrels were soon on their way.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis5800.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	78097
      Their Beautiful. Notice no groove for a head gasket or flame ring. The booklet that came with them states they go right onto the head with a coat of "Elring Curil T".

Name:	Achassis5799.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	78098
      I thought I was going to have to have the block spigots bored for these but to my surprise their slip-ins. Razor thin sleeves though. They come "windowed" which was pretty cool.

Name:	Achassis5797.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	78099
      The only machining that will have to be done is to this inner shoulder for piston clearance.

Name:	Achassis5798.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	78100
      The windowed bases don't do me much good unless I have Bill machine in the reliefs for them.

Name:	Achassis5803.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	78101
      My old 102MM piston in for a comparison. Very much reminds me of the difference between a stock 1600 piston and a 1720 bore for 356.

Name:	Achassis5794.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	78102
      According to Dean this is about as far as you want to push it on bore size. Walls are getting pretty skinny at the center.

Name:	Achassis5795.JPG
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	78103
      According to the displacement calculator an 82mm stroke X 106mm bore is going to bring this motor up to 2.9 liters or 2895CC to be exact. Each pocket will displace 724CC; up from 670CC.
      Technically a Chevy 350 cut in half, should be plenty.
      Still working on the tin modification and will post some of that next.
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• A 2.9 liter 4-cylinder? I think you are going to need balance shafts to smooth the vibration ...

Comment

• Edwin, you may want to read this:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Wow Jack, that was interesting reading! I really enjoyed reading that article but it stretches my brain a bit, so kept just the bit advising the point about flat four engines not having the same problems regarding balance as the inline engines.

The internet can be wonderful sometimes. I would think Justin would have been pleased to read that too.
            I noticed too it was Lanchester the English guy who developed all that but in 1904. Nothing to work from, just his mathematical knowledge and mechanical understanding. There are ( or were ) some really clever engineers around all those years ago.

Thanks

Roy

Comment

• Yes as Roy said, thanks for sharing that link Jack. Edwin had me spooked.

8/18/16

Cam towers getting ready to go under the knife.

Name:	carrera3224.JPG
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	78928
              Bill's getting ready to section them so we can preserve the end caps that Dean would normally just lop off. He will also be turning 3 large dowels that will insert into the rockers and cam journal to set and locate the end for TIG welding. A machined holding plate will also be fabricated. Its a ton more extra work and expense but worth it to me as want a more "finished" or stock looking tower in the end.

Name:	Achassis5066.JPG
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	78929
              Dean's method of simply cutting and finishing the end is of course a lot more practical and trouble free but I decided to go the extra mile for my engine, what the hell.
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 10/8/16
                Cam towers sectioned and shortened.

Name:	carrera3237.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	80620
                Bill was finally able to set some time aside to set up and knock out my towers.

Name:	carrera3238.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	80621
                Outer and center port halves Siamesed' together almost flawlessly.

Name:	carrera3236.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	80622
                Lower stud half will blend together nicely once its all welded.

Name:	carrera3240.JPG
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	80623
                Bill was taking off the last few thousandths on the other tower end when I stopped by.

Name:	carrera3239.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	80624
                Initial cuts are done but a lot more prep yet to go. All the mating surface need to be tapered for a "V" in prep for good thorough weld.

Name:	carrera3241.JPG
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	80625
                Side by side comparison of the standard cut tower and my sectioned tower.

Name:	carrera3235.JPG
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	80626
                The huge "cam dowel" will be shorted below the end cap where it will be tapped for a large bolt and washer to clamp this assembly together. Rocker dowels will remain free. More jigging to come, Half inch plate will be milled as valve cover jigs which will also double later as holding jigs for the actual valve covers that will be also sectioned and shortened. This approach is a huge and impractical gamble as it requires so much extra work and machining and it could still end up warping which would throw off the end journal causing binding. This would then require a new race insert in the end cap then line boring...but it can be saved. I've already been completely warned about this risk by both Bill and Dean but I just needed to try. The mirrored ends just make it look like such a proper factory component again.
                I NEED IT!
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Comment

• 10/9/16

Name:	carrera3247.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	80634
                    A couple of shots showing what was removed.

Name:	carrera3249.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	80635

Name:	carrera3248.JPG
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	80636
                    Cam dowel now doubles as the assembly clamp.

Name:	carrera3256.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	80637
                    Dean was kind enough to send a test cam for an accurate reference mockup.

Name:	carrera3257.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	80638
                    Bill machined everything perfectly; the cam slips right in an spins effortlessly. The trick of course is preserving that alignment after all the welding and heat. I at least now know its starting out correct.

Name:	carrera3245.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	80639
                    Tower mock up with my heads. Everything lines up and ends beautifully.

Name:	carrera3258.JPG
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	80640
                    With the cam Dean also included the spacer cap used to bring back the deck height after cutting.

Name:	carrera3244.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	80641
                    With the route I've taken that spacer will not be needed.

Name:	carrera3243.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	80642
                    Another shot of the standard (and far more practical) cut down cam tower.

Name:	carrera3242.JPG
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	80643
                    My impractical but mirrored version I'm obsessed on making. Taking the assemblies over to my buddy's next who will be performing the welding to get a plan on how much he needs Bill to mill out of the joints to allow a thorough root weld.
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• 10/16/16

Name:	carrera3267.JPG
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	80966
                      Bill took delivery of the machine plate for the rest of the jigging. Valve covers ready for sectioning/shortening as well.

Name:	Achassis6319.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	80964
                      The covers will be sectioned almost exactly like the cam towers. Fortunately the embossed pattern and bolt holes repeat so the "new" ends are going to match up perfectly. These are the factory magnesium covers so I've got to get hold of some magnesium rod to TIG them together.

Name:	Achassis6318.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	80965
                      The bottoms are a used after market alloy HD set I bought. The pattern ends on this set however will need a bit more machine work to be an uninterrupted match up. Then after welding they will of course have to be machined for surface and gaskets as well.
                      A ton of prep work but its getting there.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Very impressive Justin, looks like you are coming along fairly well. I will be taking lots of time off toward the end of the year, we have to get together. Keep the momentum going.
                        "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

• Thanks Tony, Sounds like a plan!

10/30/16
                          964 Valve covers

Name:	carrera3272.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	81470
                          Changed my mind on those red lower billet aftermarket valve covers and purchased a pair of factory NOS lowers from Parts Heaven.

Name:	acoupst024.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	81472
                          Part of my decision was a more seamless joint once its sectioned and welded back together.

Name:	acoupst025.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	81473
                          Another reason was I like that the factory plug holes are angled for a direct shot at the plugs where the after market is milled in flat. I also prefer the ringlet on the end for plug wire support where the other does not.

Name:	acoupst023.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	81474
                          Sometimes its hard to improve on factory parts and in this case it does not IMHO.

Name:	acoupst026.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	81475
                          A quick mock up with a tower section to reconfirm with Bill where they need to be sectioned.

Name:	carrera3273.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	81471
                          On the chopping block next.

Name:	acoupst028.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	81476
                          Bill had just sectioned the upper covers the day before.

Name:	acoupst027.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	81477
                          The lowers will be tricky but these on the other hand will be a seamless alteration once welded and dressed.

Name:	acoupst029.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	81478
                          Again just the initial cut as a few mm's more will need to be removed for a perfect fit. A long way yet to go but one more step closer.
                          Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• I have no words, all of your pictures are amazing

Comment

• Hi Justin - I have been lurking and reading on your progress from here in Beijing. I do not know
                              If it might be feasible or if there is anyone in your area capable, but google "vibratory friction welding" and look at some of the U-Tube videos. In your case the process could yield complete penetration welds with less pre-work, less post weld machining and likely less distortion.

In any event I continue to be impressed with the motor. How is the swing axel 5 speed transmission coming along? Or do you have another transmission solution?

Bill

Comment

• Those valve covers look "cute". I love anything miniature.
                                Mark Erbesfield
                                57 356A
                                65 911
                                68 912
                                73 911S
                                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                                X