Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin,

This is not the easiest of jobs, takes a lot of thought to get it right and it has to be right!! I have been wondering how this engine was coming on but guessed? the Convertible D took up all your time .
    This work I find most interesting!

I give you Christmas day off !!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Roy, Sorry for the late reply, I hope all is well with you especially during these trying times. Towards the end the D was taking all of my spare time but all is back to normal now. All of my personal projects take way too long but its all I can do. Thanks again and stay well! Justin

• Shafts and coupler shortened to needed size:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7201.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	110911 Bill had these knocked out for me several weeks back but I was just back in town and able to swing by and pick them up a few days ago. The shafts where too hard for his cutting bits so he had to rig up a holder for a cutting wheel. Had I known that I would have just lopped them off myself and saved some money in set up time but its all over now.

Name:	IMG_7203.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	110912 Mocked up and it all now fits together putting one more item on the "to do list" to bed.

Name:	IMG_7204.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	110913 Reconfiguring the scavenger tube next. Its flipped around here for a quick example. In the end it must be as centered in the sump as possible. I have to order a screen and sump plate first so I can dial in the tubes final configuration. Ordered those parts today.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Dean sets up his motors to utilize a standard VW type 1 sump cover and slightly modified screen assembly.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	zzoilsump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	110965
      He was nice enough to send me a few shots on what he does to prepare them for use in his engines. He's pointing out a slight depression he punches into a stock cover to gain the needed 8MM clearance needed from the tip of the scavenger tube. The sump screen on the upper right has already been modified and is ready to go.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	zzoilsump1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.8 KB ID:	110966
      The screen has a bottom and a flange that needs to be removed.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64184.jpg Views:	3 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	110967 The VW aftermarket is rich in racing and trick parts so I went shopping for something a little more special than the stock steel stamping. I settled on this really nice billet unit from Jaycee. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64185.jpg Views:	3 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	110968 I really liked this removable magnet feature. I'm building a new pick-up tube so the final distance from the surface of this new plate will be set at the 8mm later.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64186.jpg Views:	3 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	110969
      Looks good on there but more importantly it provides a little more protection with its magnet feature versus a stock unit. Waiting on the screen assembly.

Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 03-15-2021, 08:05 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Scavenger tube mock up:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7232.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	110979 Modifying the existing tube to center with the new sump cover. It has a 90 degree bend in it but the final part has to turn quicker as it still wants to over shoot the center of the cap.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7233.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	110980 Not only does it have to bend more but it also has to jog outward to hit "center" on the later aspect. To do this requires cutting it in half through the bend and rotating the lower section to swing outward the needed amount. A trick I had to learn when I built the hardline system for the oil cooler all those years ago.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l20degree.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.1 KB ID:	110981
        I'll need a new section of tubing to build this piece so I was running through my mind on finding a tube supplier and then how I was going to get a nice mandrel bend over 90 degrees without the added expense of bender for this one time deal etc. As luck would have it I found a supplier that offers alloy elbows in the right 25mm OD and with a nice 120 degree mandrel bend. It will still need to be cut and welded to gain that lateral jog needed but a lot of my problems are solved with this new piece. I'll know more once it gets here.
        Last edited by JTR70; 03-17-2021, 09:25 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, how lucky was that! the internet is so useful sometimes. Makes me wonder juist how I managed to get things sorted in the late sixties getting parts for the 356 and finding out how to fit some of them when my workshop manuals just missed the point I was looking for! Hope the cut and weld goes okay when the part arrives.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree Roy, pretty much everything you need or can imagine is right at your finger tips today. I realize the powers that be are pushing the sun to set on the internal combustion engine but that aside these really are the good old days as far as the car hobby in general goes.

• New scavenger tube:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7257.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	111010 New section arrived with the much needed 120 mandrel bend. The ad photo showed it on the short side and it was a bit concerning but what came is more than long enough.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7258.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	111011
          Taking my time and cutting in stages to make sure I don't too much off.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7259.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	111012 Cut to final length on the pump side and am ready to cut it through the lower part of the bend so I can rotate downward and centered in the sump.

Name:	image_64214.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	111013 Cut and rotated for the needed jog down through the center of the mock up strainer.

Name:	image_64215.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	111014 I now have my needed tube shape. As you can see I burned that strainer in the process, glad I ordered two. Getting the tube TIG welded back together next.
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 03-23-2021, 08:00 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Scavenger tub complete:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7279.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	111016 Tube welded back up and now ready to be cut to final length.

Name:	image_64217.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	111017 Cut to final length. Dean recommends 5/16 or 8MM from the tube end to the sump plate.

Name:	image_64218.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	111018
            Done! Just has to be epoxied to the pump housing.

Name:	image_64219.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	111019 Smoothed out a couple of small nubs along the inside of joint to finish things off. Next I have to mock up the rotating assembly to make sure the rods will clear the top of the pump housing.
            Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 03-23-2021, 08:15 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Checking for rod and oil pump clearance.

This motor is running an 82MM stroke crank so I was told by Dean to make sure the rods will clear the top of the pump housing.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7303.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	111058 Only have to mock up the front 2 rods. Really fun assembling shiny, new precision parts; a real novelty in my normal rusty and dirty world. This crank was set up for Chevy 350 rod journals BTW.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7304.JPG Views:	0 Size:	165.9 KB ID:	111059
              Only snugged together with a bit of assembly lube for this mock up.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7305.JPG Views:	0 Size:	178.7 KB ID:	111060 Crank resting in its cradle on new main bearings. My checklist of "to do's" on this bottom end before final assembly is getting short.

Name:	image_64250.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	111061 Inner rod clears with the end of the housing ...

Name:	image_64251.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	111062 And so does the outer rod. I understand that there will be some expansion from centrifugal force as the engine spools up so I didn't know if this was going to be sufficient clearance. BTW: my steel intermediate plate there had its corner chipped off during the output shaft shortening Ugly but I can't see it hurting anything performance wise.

Last edited by JTR70; 03-26-2021, 08:21 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7309.JPG Views:	0 Size:	226.6 KB ID:	111064
                Largest feeler gauge I had was this standard at 25 thou.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64253.jpg Views:	3 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	111065 The inner rod brush by it perfectly while the outer rod didn't contact at all. So I had a baseline of 25 thousands, was it enough? After forwarding what I had found onto Dean he said that the magic number was going to be at least in the 40 thousands range.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64254.jpg Views:	63 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	111066 Since the pump housing has never been cut for clearance before I have plenty of meat for a 15+ thousands shave off the top. I'll have Bill remove as much as possible to ensure ample space.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64255.jpg Views:	65 Size:	189.2 KB ID:	111067 All I have left (I believe) is to change out the main shaft drive gear to this straight cut version I bought some time back. I'll need Bill's help to pull that front sprocket off for me first. Getting closer...
                Click image for larger version  Name:	billpumphousing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	111286 A shot Bill sent me of the unit just after milling. He had to create a mount to both secure it and locate the center of the housings arched profile shape. Some of his set ups and the things he has to determine before cutting still blows me away at times.
                Thanks for looking!

Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 04-29-2021, 06:11 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Yes its all coming together Justin. A lot to think about but good Dean is in the background ready to listen to your comments.
                  Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Roy! oh yeah, questions come up all the time but Dean is right there when I need him.

• Oil pump housing machined for needed rod clearance:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7520.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	111278 Bill finished out this housing along with a few other things for me last week.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7521.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	111279 I was looking for at least 15 thousandths worth of additional clearance as Dean recommended. Bill felt we could take comfortably take off 20 thousandths without compromising the top of the housing. Should be no issues with rod clearance now.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image_64386.jpg Views:	3 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	111280 This finally completes all the needed modifications to the oil pump unit itself. JB welding the pickup tube into final position before I reassemble this thing for the last time.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7496.JPG Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	111281 He also machined off the flange and base plate of this VW sump screen completing the needed modifications to work with this engine. A much cleaner end result versus me trying to grind all of this off with a cutting wheel.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7529.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	111282 This officially completed my sump plate assembly. Getting things checked off the list.

Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 04-27-2021, 08:35 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• 964 Lower cylinder air guides :
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7500.JPG Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	111288 Began cutting down 3 into two for my purposes.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7499.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	111289 Since the pattern just repeated itself removing an end could not have been more easy and straight forward. Carefully filing the last of the remains down flush here.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7514.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	111290 4-cylinder versions now.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7512.JPG Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	111291 Wasn't drama free on this side of the block. The shields need to slide back a few MM's more to center over the cylinders and to align with the pretapped mounting holes.

Name:	IMG_7513a.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	111293 To gain the needed clearance I need that notched profile (arrow) to simply continue on down further to about that red line. This case half is over at Bill's now for this procedure. At least the other side of the block clears fine.
                    Last edited by JTR70; 04-29-2021, 06:40 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• More little stuff in the done column

Name:	IMG_7571.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	111394 Bill dropped that machined relief down just a but more where needed

Name:	IMG_7574.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	111395 Shoulder of the deflector fits in there nicely.

Name:	IMG_7573.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	111396 Lower shrouding fitment complete.

Name:	IMG_7531.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	111397 Drive gear changed out. Needed Bill's hydraulic press to get the outer chain sprocket off to do it.

Name:	IMG_7540.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	111398 A bit of list to check off but this lower assembly is just about complete.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Oil pump and shaft To do list getting very short.

Name:	IMG_7626.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	111400 Ready to install the new scavenger tube in for good.

Name:	IMG_7627.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	111401 Tube oriented and left to set overnight.

Name:	IMG_7632.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	111402 Dean stressed that the tube be centered as close as possible. Close enough...

Name:	IMG_7596.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	111403 I had chain rail clearance issues with the shaft sprocket on the other side which turned out to be an incredible can of worms before I got it all straightened out. I feared the same issue with the other side so I mocked it up to see what kind of clearance I had if any.

Name:	IMG_7594.JPG
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	111404 Finally caught a break with all this and found no clearance issues with the end of this guide and the chain. Very nice to put this one to bed.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Oil pump, intermediate shaft and sump assembly completed.

Name:	IMG_7628.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	111406A very long list of modifications but its all finally complete.

Name:	IMG_7629.JPG
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	111407 Pump modifications included housing machining for rod clearance, input shaft shortening and new pick-up tube. Pump gears where turned around to run on the "newer surfaces" as recommended by Dean.

Name:	IMG_7630.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	111408 Intermediate shaft was also shortened along with the supplied coupler. VW sump screen modified to work with this engine.

Name:	IMG_7631.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	111409 And the final change was to a straight cut gear. A long involved road but this lower assembly is finally complete. Onto the next deal.

Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X