No announcement yet.

Im back,,,,,,,,,My Outlaw Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice bit of welding there on that panel. I know thats not so easy to do.

Pleasing when it goes well isn't it.

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy ,yeah it is. Just trying to get into it again and better at it.
      60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0140.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	19053

Name:	DSCF0131.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	19052

Name:	DSCF0141.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	19051

Name:	DSCF0135.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	19050

Took a couple days off of the grinding. The dust and allergies were killing my contacts. The right fender was a MESS, it was overlapped and has some brass in it... still working on it. The Scooby adapter and flywheel are on with a new rear main seal. Stainless steel header came in, looks like it will flip around no problem. Un-equal length to get that nice RUP RUP RUP sound!
        60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Looking good Brock! The motor is staging up nice. That is a very pretty exhaust system! Are you running a muffler or a stinger pipe?
          Nothing worse than cleaning up shoty repair work. Keep on it, its taking shape. Thanks for the update! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Nice exhaust. Will the engine be bench tested prior to install? Anxious to see it all together!

Comment

Brock,looks like an awesome project. I have a 57 that I have been know to work on every now and then. Keep on posting. Thanks, Mark
              Mark Erbesfield
              57 356A
              65 911
              68 912
              73 911S
              66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Justing Im not sure just yet how the rest of the exaust will go the header was to good a deal to pass on ($116 to the door!) If I get them the Crower cams wont be so cheap ($620!)

Manolin ,thanks! Yeah as soon as I get the trans (being built) and starter I am starting it in the floor.

Thanks Mark, you have a build thread going?
                60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Got the doors set on to check the gaps, the driver has a little more gap than the pass side. The hood gaps set nice and I got a couple of the dents out of the front of it.

Name:	DSCF0168.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	19355

Name:	DSCF0167.JPG
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	19354

Name:	DSCF0166.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	19353

Name:	DSCF0164.JPG
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	19352

Name:	DSCF0163.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	19351
                  60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Hood and door basic fitment look pretty good Brock. Maybe its just the photo but it looks like the pinch seam on the leading edge of your front fender needs to be squeezed tighter. It seems too fat and relaxed. Are you getting ready to cut the nose off? Thanks for the update! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	DSCF0170.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	19454

Name:	DSCF0173.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	19455

Name:	DSCF0172.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	19456

Yes they are kinda thick, the metal the patch is made from is rather heavy so they will never be very crisp.
                      Started working on the very badly kinked, bent and craked hood. Had to break out the stud welder and the shrinking disc for this. Still have more to do to it. The nose will be the last thing to get done before smoothing it all out.
                      60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

oooh, a kinked hood is one common 356 repair I have not yet had to deal with. A very time consuming fix I'm sure;Looks like your getting her ironed though. Yes, understood some of those rust repair panels have been known to be a bit thicker just keep it in the back of your mind that the extra thickness is going to mess with you once you begin establishing your final gaps and will limit your ability to get a tight line. Glad to see your still making progress on it! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	DSCF0192.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	19809

Name:	DSCF0190.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	19808

Name:	DSCF0189.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	19807

The trans showed up,looks great. Waiting on the starter adapter.

Started on the doors, the one that is ground down to metal was covered (the entire area) by 1/4-3/8 of filler all to cover the 1/4 deep 5" long scrape at the bottom!
                          60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Looking good Brock! A very smart decision to keep the repair seam as low as possible on the door skin. This will greatly reduce the amount of heat distortion. Nice job! We made that mistake in the '80's.

Oh, you're runnning an IRS trans. What arms are you going to use? SWB 911? VW?
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

I found that out to on my first 356 the hard way! I wanted to use 911 arms but then found out they are to long, SWB arms are like hens teeth so maybe some braced up VW arms may be ok.
                              60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Originally posted by Restomod" post=8373

The trans showed up,looks great. Waiting on the starter adapter.

Started on the doors, the one that is ground down to metal was covered (the entire area) by 1/4-3/8 of filler all to cover the 1/4 deep 5" long scrape at the bottom!
                                Try getting some cooling Gel to spray on the door before you start welding it up. It's exactly what it sounds like. Clear jelly like stuff you spray around the perimeter of you weld, helping to contain the heat. Works well and go slow also helps, but flat areas are a bitch.
                                Attached Files
                                Mark Erbesfield
                                57 356A
                                65 911
                                68 912
                                73 911S
                                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                                X