No announcement yet.

Im back,,,,,,,,,My Outlaw Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, maybe not so much excitment as it was a misunderstanding. I am completely unfamiliar with these conversions but the thought of putting an in line four into these bodies did not seem possible because its such a long and tall configuration. In the blue car the motor has to be sitting sideways with a Front wheel drive type trans. correct? I could not see this engine fitting under the decklid conventionally hanging off a swing axle trans. BTW is a 924/944 motor the same as these "T" engines. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

cROSS OvEr TO tHE DArK sIdE. sUBaRU.

The Subie stuff has been around for a while in the kit car world. Adapter and VW gearbox.

The 1.8T is for Turbo. 2 versions. 180hp amd 225hp.

The only inline version has to come out of an Audi or VW Passat, and that is only good for mid engine.

Lots of forums and information avilabale online. Plug'n'play.
      We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
      Call toll free today.
      877-356-8827

Comment

The only snag I have come across is wiring the JDM engine that I have coming.
        Got some work in on the car today, finnished up some welding and some grinding. Also got one subframe trimmed and bent to fit against the inner long. I will get the other one bent and both welded up ready to go in tomorrow. PICS asap....
        60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

What motor do you have coming? Glad to hear your working on the car; looking forward to some shots! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Smallcar.com
            Call toll free today.
            877-356-8827

Comment

Justin, I have a JDM EJ20 DOHC coming. A fellow Samba member is now working with me to get a harness/ECU going. Got both of the rails cut/fitted and welded. Going to start putting the pans in tomorrow.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0058.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	17429

Name:	DSCF0056.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	17427

Name:	DSCF0052.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	17428
              60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Nice Brock! What is the HP on that motor? You're sub-frame is off to a great start. Looks very similar to the one we put into that 58 coupe build.

Name:	d585_2013-05-01.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	17444
                My buddy Warren also added these gussets across the mitter cut/joints to spread the load out. Maybe something to consider for your frame as well; just throwing it out there..
                Nice work! Keep the pics and updates coming! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks ! Hard to get good numbers on the JDM stuff but about 150-160. I was thinking of something like those over the welds. Also have to figure a way to tie it to the rear torsion without haking out the rear panels.
                  Hey BTW whats with the Kunena never fired popup I get here??
                  60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Sounds like a nice motor! Removing part of the closing panels to get at the torsion tubes for ample room to install and weld is a necessary evil unfortunately. Several guys get that code your talking about; we think its attributed to either an outdated web brouser you may use or you computer software. Sorry I am very technically challanged but I do know that Roy Mawbey was successful in correcting it by updating the browser.
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Cool I will try that.
                      Got the pans drilled and almost welded in.....MAN thats a LOT of little holes to drill! My air punch wouldnt pop the hole in the heavier steel.Click image for larger version

Name:	pans1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	17486
                      60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

3M panel bond.

modern 'welding'

Quick, easy, bonds better than welding, and no future rust in overlaps with contiguous bead.

Still...we can appreciate the hard work and looking forward to finished product.
                        Call toll free today.
                        877-356-8827

Comment

Nice job on the new floors Brock! I know what you mean, all those required holes for plug-welding large pieces like these pans are a chore! Your sub-frame plans are coming into focus now. Your staying outside the longitudinals with your new frame runners? Looking forward to the next install! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

I have used that type of two part bonder but I am unsure of the torsional rigidity of it so welding it to me was better.
                            Thanks Justin ,Yeah wanted to put them inside the longs but the longs were already done when I got the car.
                            60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Name:	DSCF0061.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	17695

Name:	DSCF0083.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	17694

Name:	DSCF0075.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	17693
                              Well my engine came in today, looks pretty good. Got the edge of the floors painted. The subframes plated and painted so they can go in asap.
                              Engine adapter and clutch is on the way and I think I will order the trans in the next couple days.
                              60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Looking good Brock! I see you've got the gussets done as well. Is that POR15 your using? Congrats on getting your engine! Looks killer and really resembles a water-boxer 911 mill with the alternator placement etc. Have you taken some rough measurements? How's the width of it compared to distance of the frame runners? How about length? I would guess that push-rod engine tray/shelf will have to come out. Keep at it! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X