• Looking GREAT Justin!

Comment

• Thanks a lot Don!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	5404241.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	69429
        Mark, I'll be running this pair of original GT seats I rounded up over these last several years. I'd like to use the original pads though I'm not sure if I can save them just yet.

Name:	5404245.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	69428
        The shells are in need of repair both to the alloy and the steel bases.
        Will be chronicling that restoration here shortly.
        Thanks again you guys!
        Justin

11/10/15
        Also started the process of saving and prepping the original door panels for reupholstery.

Name:	carrera2649.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	69430
        These had to have been redone sometime in the mid to late 1960's

Name:	carrera2650.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	69431
        The pocket was done closely enough but the staples on the back definitely give it away as a redo.

Name:	carrera2655.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	69432
        Once stripped you can see time and moisture have warped them quite badly.

Name:	carrera2651.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	69433
        I slowly ironed them back out flat with moisture...

Name:	carrera2671.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	69434
        Then an immediate clamping to my table with plates, clamps and whatever else heavy that I had handy. They both required several rounds of: wash, clamp overnight, flip over and repeat before they stopped trying to curl back up. The one in the pic above is on its third go around. Eventually I'll win. Thanks for looking! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• 11/27/15
          I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving Holiday with family and friends!

Found a Headliner and purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Purchased it through the most obvious of Vendors: Autos International, imagine that?

Name:	Achassis4391.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	70026
          While over at my buddies a couple of weeks ago he was just finishing up a full interior and headliner install. I spoke to him a day or two before and told him about my hunt for the correct perforated material for my car. He said he just bought one from AI and it seemed pretty close and that I should come by and look at it. I wasn't expecting much but to my great surprise the material was pretty damn close!

Name:	Achassis4392.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	70027
          Perforations were in the correct diamond pattern and the spacing matched very close the measurement details given by Roy. The material texture was just like Jack described as being a correct pinpoint pattern versus the heavy grain VW style pattern. The only flaw with it was the color. The master Roll that AI is making these from currently is an Almond color rather than an off white like it should be. But like Bruce suggested its no problem to dye it the correct color. I've redyed several interiors in the past all with great results so a color change wasn't a deal breaker.

Name:	carrera2683.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	70028
          Detailed shot of the material texture. Aside from the color I think it very much resembles the original material in Roy's photos. (thanks again for that Roy)

Name:	carrera2684.JPG
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	70029
          I was sold! I got right on the horn that Monday and had it by Wednesday. Also ordered the insulation pad they use. All you see here delivered to my door for just under a 100 bucks; How can I go wrong?

Name:	carrera2685.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	70030
          As for the paint/dye I think I found just the right tone with this Off white offered by SEM. It has just a touch of grey to it which I was told by Michael Doyle is the more correct tone of off white for an early A headliner.

Name:	carrera2698.JPG
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	70032
          Certainly no fan of rattle can paint but the interior paints offered by SEM specifically for interiors is the best by my past experience. This dash photo of my Toyota was painted from grey to blue over 20 years ago. As you can see aside from few scuffs it still lives with no signs of peeling, fading etc. This is after a lifetime of constant desert UV exposure mind you so if it can stand up to life on a dash top I have no worries with coating this headliner in it.

Name:	carrera2688.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	70031
          A little test panel to show how drastic the color change will be.

Name:	carrera2689.JPG
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	70033
          The cardboard background is bright white to give you a better idea of the final hue.

Name:	carrera2690.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	70034
          Prepping the pillar wraps with solvent for paint first.

Name:	carrera2694.JPG
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	70035
          After they were done I began painting the liner itself a section at a time. I thought about Bruce's suggestion about painting after the installation but I decided it best for me since I don't do well painting upside down to do the heavy lifting now with a touch up after install. It will certainly be required as I couldn't get the pleats stretched out enough here.

Name:	carrera2702.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	70036
          Initial base color now complete. I'm well into installation as of this entry but will post the rest of the prep work next.
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

That will be just perfect I think. Great to find it so close to you and the colour will be just fine. So, has your dad seen the car now? I would like to know what he thinks!

Good step forward

Roy

Comment

• Justin,

I totally agree with you about the AI headliner. It's a great product, but the color is off from the originals. It's too dark. I spoke to AI when I bought my headliner and they were willing to take my headliner back, but I decided against it as it is otherwise very well made and the perforations are very close. I also purchased the insulation pad. Thanks for the heads up regarding the SEM paint. I'll have to try it.

JP
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Great work Justin. Want to come out here, hang by the beach for a week or two and get our coupe's seats looking good? Given what you've done with that headliner taking care of some split seams should be child's play for you. A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Since only nine of the scheduled thirteen showed up you could also help me with the turkey leftovers - yum. Rosemary should be recovered from her efforts in another couple of days.
                Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• Hi Justin would you mind giving me some dumension on a simple drawing for the headliner please i still need to make one for my replica length breadth distance between pleats.
                  Thank you

Comment

• Thanks for the confirmation Roy! No, he hasn't seen it yet but he's do for a visit before the years out I'm sure. I'll definitely relay what he thought and thanks for asking BTW.

Thanks Bill and thanks for the invite. I'd probably need a good 4 months there on the beach...I mean to work on your seats. So glad to hear you and Rosemary had a nice holiday out there as well!

John, if your headliner is made from the same stock as mine the color isn't going to be the only thing wrong for your specific application. The later T6 headliners do have more of a grain to them and the perforation holes are a bit larger. The car I showed from my friends place is a '63 T6 and I saw its original liner. The owner of that T6 isn't a stickler for originality but if you are then that liner will be a problem. I can ask my friend to save a section of that old original if you would like a sample.

Sure Armand I can get you those measurements.
                    11/29/15

Prep for liner installation.

Name:	carrera2701.JPG
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	70095
                    The original bows to this car have been stored loose for more than 20 years so needless to say I've lost track of their installment order; there is one BTW. After some careful comparison measurements there are two longs and two shorts with only about a 25mm difference between each pair so they can look deceptively identical. I paint marked the tips to avoid any more confusion. After a few trial fitments to the car with a long and a short bow I determined that the long pair go at each end and the short pair are the two center bows.

Name:	carrera2703.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	70096
                    Since this is my very first (solo) headliner install my buddy gave me some very good tips since he has done several. The first one was to find and mark the center of the headliner so it can be centered in the car. Very crucial that it is to have any chance of even pleats laterally and a wrinkle free installation by the end of the job. The overall width of this liner (with excess) was 48 inches so 24 is the mark.

Name:	carrera2705.JPG
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	70097
                    Ready to begin feeding the bows through.

Name:	carrera2707.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	70098
                    Bows in and this little chuck wagon top is ready to go in the car.

Name:	carrera2695.JPG
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	70099
                    But before that I had to get the new insulation pad trimmed and mounted.

Name:	carrera2696.JPG
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	70100
                    Went in very nicely with only minimal trimming required.

Name:	carrera2697.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	70101
                    AI has the dimension all dialed in so there is minimal excess but enough to do the sail panels from this remnant.

Name:	carrera2700.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	70102
                    Done. Pad tucked in so nice and tight that glue wasn't needed except on the sail panels. I forgot to take a photo but I also added a second layer of thin foam padding just as an extra sound barrier.

Name:	carrera2709.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	70103
                    Initial install with the bows set.

Name:	Achassis4434.JPG
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	70104
                    Well here's a partial shot of the extra layer of padding I added. I ran screws into the visor and mirror holes so I could find-feel them through the liner and mark their approximate location as gluing progressed.

Name:	Achassis4436.JPG
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	70105
                    locating center of the liner with the center of the car.

Name:	carrera2714.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	70106
                    Slowly pinning it up and getting it taught at the centers all the while getting my head around the next move.BTW: that was my buddies next tip; gluing should begin at the center of both the front and rear windows working outward to the pillars. The sides are done afterwards then finally the corners.

Name:	carrera2715.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	70107
                    Pleats where beginning to stretch out nice and the center was getting smoother. This being my first try at this I was bit intimidated but like all the rest of this work the more time you spend studying and playing with it the next move eventually becomes clear and then the next move after that and so on.

Name:	carrera818A.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	70108
                    This car getting its new headliner by my father way back in 1988.

Name:	carrera2712.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	70109
                    Thought I'd replicate that photo of the very same car some 27 years later... how time flies! More progress details next. Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Thanks for sharing this install. I always wondered how it was done. Very exciting part of your project now, I'm jealous!

Jonesy

Comment

• cracking job Justin, loving it!

Comment

• Thanks a lot you guys, its always appreciated!

11/30/15

Front and back center of the head liner now glued and am ready to move onto the sides beginning with the left. After some debate I felt most comfortable starting at about mid rear quarter window just at that last pleat and working my way forward.

Name:	carrera2716.JPG
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	70123
                          Front center glued and set with rear center glued and clamped to dry.

Name:	Achassis4446.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	70124
                          No better time than now to make sure that roll-bar we made was going to clear the liner toward the sides. No issues with plenty of clearance.

Name:	Achassis4444.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	70125
                          Again, started just ahead of that last pleat at mid quarter window and worked forward. The B-pillar proved a little tricky to wrap around all the while keeping the material taught and wrinkle free. I also located the holes for the coat hooks and mounted my blank.

Name:	carrera200.JPG
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	70126
                          I made these out of alloy a few years back to go in place of the original pot metal coat hooks as I don't feel confident about riding around in this car with a metal hook next to my head.

Name:	Achassis4443.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	70127
                          They are the same foot print as the original hooks and as you can see they put some tension on the liner at the top. I wanted that detail and I think it looks better than just having nothing there.

Name:	carrera2718.JPG
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	70128
                          I eventually worked my way up to the A-pillar which would soon prove to be a very tricky area to cover.

Name:	carrera2719.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	70129
                          The complicated part is that the material has to seat down flush where my finger is holding so the windshield seal can seat properly. So that final turn must be stretched and worked a good deal before it will cooperate. You can already see the stress in the material right above where I'm holding. Its a catch 22 if I give it the slack it needs to make the turn then I have wrinkles on the outer face.

Name:	carrera2720.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	70130
                          I mentally wrestled with this one for good little while. My buddy here in town says it takes him a solid 6 hours to fully install one of these but this being my first time I'll be well past that mark.

Name:	carrera2721.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	70131
                          It eventually dawned on me to set and glue the outer face first so I'm no longer dealing with any wrinkles; then wrap the edges.

Name:	carrera2722.JPG
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	70132
                          The back channel was a piece of cake so I glued that first saving the toughest part for last.

Name:	carrera2724.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	70133
                          I took it in small bites with the aid of heat gun and slowly made the turn.

Name:	carrera2725.JPG
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	70134
                          The last bit was quite brutal on the material so to help relieve stress I cut short of the flange to help keep it from tearing.

Name:	carrera2727.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	70135
                          It eventually submitted but you can see how I had to really crank on it to get it to go. A few elongated perforation holes clearly show the stress I had to put it through but no choice this is where it had to be. No wrinkles though. More later... Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Great job! And thank you for posting your progress, which will prove very helpful if/when I get to this point.

JP
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Great job Justin
                              Brings back memories, when my rear glass rubber went in
                              it put a wrinkle in rear quarter I was not expecting.
                              Might save you some grief.
                              Gordon

Comment

• Thanks John, I hope you find it of some use in the near future.

Thank you Gordon and a good warning. Once you begin adding in things they can effect the tension on the liner. That back corner area is really tricky anyway then once you begin adding the rear panel and window that certainly could cause a wrinkle or two.
                                Thanks again Guys!

12/1/15

Forward section of the liner now set and glued with both A pillars now wrapped.

Name:	carrera2731.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	70186
                                By coincidence with Gordon's tip I had also test fitted the forward accessories to see if they might affect the final tension fit. I started with the left visor. Once I initially found the hole using the brail method with a screw installed I marked them with this tape. Though it changed a touch through the gluing and adjustment process it still provided a very close approximation of where to probe. Nothing more scary than sticking that poker through the material and praying that you hit the right spot.

Name:	carrera2732.JPG
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	70187
                                Fortunately for me it worked.

Name:	carrera2734.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	70188
                                The visor mounts did suck the liner up a touch but nothing causing any deformation.

Name:	carrera2738.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	70189
                                From there I moved onto gluing in the right side run of the liner all the way to this dreaded corner.

Name:	carrera2747.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	70190
                                Proved to be just as tricky and resistant as the other side. My skill level didn't improve much from the first attempt.

Name:	carrera2746.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	70191
                                Once that was wrapped I finished up locating the remaining holes for the other visor and the mirror. That part at least went very well with no problems. Making my way to the rear next. Thanks for looking! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X