New Project '60 356b S90 t5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi jonsey/Roy/others

Thank you for your responses. Yes I'm well aware that the car will need a fair amount of structural work and plan to do it properly whether I end up keeping as much old paint as possible or not. I suppose it all comes down to what I find as I take the car apart which will determine the route I take. I'm used to much rust after my Splitty, which was a total wreck, although somehow it was driving in the US when i bought it, held together with screwed shut doors and road sign floors! I now have a delivery (for the 356) to the uk date of late May so hope to have her tucked up in the garage by early/mid June.

Yes the pre60 rule is a funny one, I was super pleased tho when it came in as my VW is an October 59 bus so is exempt .....although it would sail through a test non the less! My 356 is Unfortunatly for this rule a May/60 car so will need an MOT.

Who is the best supplier of panel work in the UK? I'm not sure if it's like the vw world where there are many manufacturers some better than others?

Thx

Comment

[quote="northernbigbird" post=33404]

Who is the best supplier of panel work in the UK? I'm not sure if it's like the vw world where there are many manufacturers some better than others?

Thx[/quote

oh its like that alright lol, roger bray i believe is a good source and karmann konection do some 356 stuff.

where about are you in the uk? (sorry if i missed it elsewhere)

Comment

I'm based in london but no space for the car here at the moment so it will be living at my folks place up north for the moment where I will start to do work to it. Can't wait to start on it now! A long road awaits!

Comment

Neil, the new MOT ruling came in about 3 years ago. I don't think it will affect prices on 356. People have to pay so much these days for one in poor condition they calculate already in their head they will need to work on it. But... the guy who see's an old 50's Austin A35 in a hedge might just think he could spend a weekend and he is mobile with it. Not a good idea possibly to have him behind you on the roads.

Bray and KK do sell the sheet metal in fact KK have some special items others do not seem to have. Worth checking both their websites as you have time!! PRS Services in Essex www.prs356.com also have a good selection of parts both new and second hand that might help you. They also do repair work on 356.

Roy

Comment

[quote="northernbigbird" post=33406]I'm based in london but no space for the car here at the moment so it will be living at my folks place up north for the moment where I will start to do work to it. Can't wait to start on it now! A long road awaits![/quote

I'm originally from up norf lol, sheffield the home of steel and rust!

Comment

Well exciting news.....she's arrived! Had a day pulling her apart and seeing how bad the damage is. Whipped the engine out and looks like someone has had a go at doing some work to it as its missing the clutch/flywheel, front crankshaft pulley and push rods. Not sure what I'm going to find when I eventually get it apart but I'm not so hopeful for its condition.

The body isn't too bad although the chassis needs more than expected. Im really pleased with the interiors condition and also super pleased as I found the horn push wedged between the seats. It is also a 1 key fits all which I have no reason to think it isn't original. I'll let the pictures do the talking!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	76870

Name:	image_2016-06-11.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	76871

Name:	image_2016-06-11.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	76871

Name:	image_2016-06-11-2.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	76872

Comment

Name:	image_2016-06-11-3.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	76874

Name:	image_2016-06-11-4.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	76875

Name:	image_2016-06-11-5.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	76876

Name:	image_2016-06-11-6.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	76877

Name:	image_2016-06-11-7.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	76878

Name:	image_2016-06-11-8.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	76879

Comment

Congratulations on taking delivery! Dismantling a new toy sure is the fun part so enjoy it while you can!
                  From the shots of the body I saw earlier the extensive chassis rot is exactly what I was expecting to see. Welcome to the world of old Porsches, she's just doing what they do best. Study the B&C build threads here carefully as you will be going deep into the longitudinals and in around the rear torsion housing to bring back structural integrity. If you don't have a rotisserie...BUILD ONE...You'll be glad you did. Best of luck on your new project and am looking forward to the updates!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Great thx justin

Yes I should have known to expect more than less rot but one can be forever hopeful ! One thing that is a bit of a pain is the bonnet. Looks like it's been propped up then driven into something so hard it's bent and snapped part of the framework. See pics. Will need some skilled work t get it back to life. Yes rotisserie sounds like a great idea. Only thing is I'm not sure I have physically enough space in the garage I have. Also are there plans for any?I'm sure there are on this site somewhere.
                    Thx

Comment

Name:	image_2016-06-12.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	76888

Name:	image_2016-06-12-2.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	76889

Comment

A rotisserie is definitely a plus. Especially if you don't have a lot of space as the car is easily turned either inside or outside the garage. Below are plans for a rotisserie based on the Emory design with modifications (I don't remember the author).

Emory Motor Sports: http://www.emorymotorsports.com/workshop

Included is a parts list which I've modified in red. You can see many rotisserie pictures on my build blog and other's blogs on ABCGT and many others on the R.

HTH.

John

Name:	ScreenShot2016-06-12at7.27.57AM.png
Views:	133
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	76892

Name:	ScreenShot2016-06-12at7.28.18AM.png
Views:	131
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	76893

Name:	ScreenShot2016-06-12at7.28.32AM.png
Views:	149
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	76894

Name:	ScreenShot2016-06-12at7.28.50AM.png
Views:	144
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	76895
                        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Mark,

Nice honest photos's. More or less just like so many 356 cars that have rusted. If you study the resto pages on here every area is probably covered. Like Justin and all the other guys be prepared to make all the templates where you can. The bonnet is not an easy job but has been covered already on abcgt. Delve deep into the resto's this will take you a lot of time but it will be worth it.

It looks like you will not have to try to remove poor welding jobs on this car, it looks quite original to me.

Roy

Comment

That hood has been through the ringer and as severe as its been kinked then "rekinked" the only way to really repair it properly is to remove the substructure from the skin. It also shows very advanced rust so this would also give you a chance to address that thoroughly as well. Tom Perazzo did just this repair on his hood with outstanding results. Here's the link: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/8963-SC-Coupe-Restoration.html?limit=6&start=102
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Here is a link showing Trevor's rotisserie to give an idea of another design. He posts here also. Page 3 shows good pics of it.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29204&sid=18670ee696168731b68c902485bef3e2&start=30

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	76911

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	76912
                              Mic
                              1959A coupe

Comment

Hi Mark
                                Welcome to the world of 356 rustoration, great to see another UK guy here, I am in Surrey, pop in if your ever down this way.

Name:	DSCF5896_sml.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	76914

Just a word of warning, I have built an 'Emory' rottisserie and there is a wrong dimension on one of the drawings, so if you are about to build one ask and I will confirm which one it is.
                                Great car looking forward to seeing it take shape.
                                Regards
                                Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X