Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project '60 356b S90 t5

Hello All

So i have been watching from afar for a while and am super impressed by all the work that you are doing to your cars....an inspiration! so much so I purchased one in california and it is in a shipping container on its way to me here in the UK. I have come from the VW world and have restored my 59 splitscreen over 4 years and have just completed a 4500 mile round trip from the UK to morocco over 5 weeks which was amazing! Im a surfer so i spent a fair amount of time in the water which was awesome!

Im sure that some of you may have seen my new 356 on BHCC it was the yellow/orange car that is actually fairly complete apart from the engine which is a date correct super75 instead of the original 90, but is seized. Initial plans was to do a full bare metal resto from the off but im thinking more and more that hidden under the orange could be some fairly good black OG paint that it might be nice to enjoy. It obviously needs welding work, battery box, below doors, headlight bowls and surrounds. behind door striker area. longitudinals. im sure more as well!

I want to find the correct engine (ideally!) and am in the process of tracking down the original owner to see if it may still be lurking in a shed unloved! i can but dream! And if not an engine that is as close to the original number as possible.

What are peoples thoughts on trying to keep OG paint and using it as a bit of a beater for the moment before I do a full blown bare metal when i have enjoyed it for a few years? What ever i do due to UK laws i will need to do all the welding and necessary mechanicals so wonder if it is worth it or not to go the whole hog from the start?

I will post some pics when i get chance but wanted to get something down here and get some pointers thanks
    mark grif

Click image for larger version

Name:	5039_p4_l.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	74775

Bumper in the photo is installed up side down. Check for the drain holes on the trailing edge.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your first 356! Thanks for joining us here and Welcome. These cars can become an obsession so tell your girl not to be surprised or too upset when the next one shows up. Sounds like your VW resto was a real milestone and what a way to cap it off with a 4500 mile trip; quite the adventure I gather. Your new project car looks to be relatively unmolested and complete. You'll find out soon enough exactly what you have once you begin really poking behind carpet, panels etc. Without anything to go by but this photo you may very well have some serious chassis repairs to attend to. The cancered out area above the headlight seems a bad omen to me. I hope that its not the case but it wouldn't be an old 356 if it wasn't rusty. Either way we'll all be glad to advise you and answer any questions you have about it.
      Welcome once again!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Welcome to ABCGT & congrats on bringing home a 356.

As far as driver vs. restoration only the chassis inspection will tell you what is needed & if it will be safe enough to become a driver. Once it is in your hands you can inspect it & decide to repair & restore. Do not start taking it apart & getting rid of the "old junk rusted" parts until you have a plan. Take lots of pictures for future reference & do not throw away anything!
        Mic
        1959A coupe

Comment

Welcome aboard! Post more pictures if you've got them. We'll be looking forward to your build.

John
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

hey all thanks for your words of support.....heres a few more pictures

Name:	5039_p2_l.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	74952

Name:	5039_p10_l.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	74953

Name:	5039_p14_l.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	74954

Name:	5039_p17_l.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	74955

Comment

few more

Name:	5039_p34_l.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	74957

Name:	5039_p45_l.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	74958

Name:	5039_p58_l.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	74959

Name:	5039_p62_l.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	74960

Comment

Hi,

It's got the correct parts for a T-5 S-90 with the front battery box and compensating spring.

Are you planning to media blast it to see what things look like underneath?

John
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Not as in bad a shape as I was expecting.
                  So this car was factory black?
                  Justin Rio

Comment

hi

Yes thats what i was surprised about....from the wings it looked as if the rest might be toast but was presently surprised underneath! And was so pleased that it hadnt been messed about with/crashed (that i could see by a light inspection) or hot rodded! just a shame the old engine went walkies! has the OG tranny

Yes factory black (red interior) which i believe was a special order colour for 60' ?

John - I will wait for it to arrive and decide whether to do a full media blast and resto or whether the welding can be done, blown in carefully, mechanicals sorted, get an upholsterer to carefully repair the seats and use it for a while.....been reading alot about cars that have a full resto and owners are then scared to use them.....having said that im pretty sure i would still use it as thats what its meant for right....not to become a trailer queen!

Comment

Yep, looks very original as though it was just driven and not touched much with bad repairs. I agree with you if possible, get it back to a driving state to enjoy it.That still though will take you time to do.
                      Its amazing how long some jobs take to do.

Roy

Comment

Really digging this car - especially love the interior. The black dash with rich burgundy patina rocks. Looks very complete.

Got my fingers crossed for you for the structure - many here can attest that there is lots that lurks deep inside once the outer skin is cleaned and peeled back - but as you can see from this forum - nothing is impossible.

Keep the pics coming.
                        1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                        356 Registry main thread;
                        http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                        1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Hi Mark

welcome! Yet another BT5, although yours has all the right specs. You've got a good engine with an even better original if you can find it or a suitable replacement. You've got the good 'box (741, double front mounts), and compensator. All good!

But if I can be the one to be a bummer for a moment - mate, you've got a lot of metal work to do here. Having lived in the UK I'm familiar with MOT. You're going to have to do both longitudinals - they are both trashed. Rear chassis areas around the heater tubes. Likely front wheel well closing panels. Battery box floor. Front guards/fenders. You might be able to patch that front floor pan, maybe not. If not, then at least a new front half floor pan. For what its worth, my early advice would be to do it once and do it right. One thing leads to another anyhow, and you may find yourself with many many hours put into the job wishing you had stripped it and put it on a rotating frame right from the start. But that's ok - like Justin says, having an old 356 means working with rusted metal.

Like yours, my machine is black-on-red - but I wish I had your specs. Mine is a stock basic BT5. You're going to have great machine when you've finished, I just think you should expect more work rather than less.

Looking forward to watching it all unfold, thanks for sharing!

Jonesy

Comment

Jonesy,

All correct what you have written. Are you aware cars made before 1960 now no longer need an MOT test every year in the UK. This has since its new ruling a few years ago, made me very perplexed. Can you imagine if this car was a 1959 (not 1960 )very early 356B providing you could make it run, in theory it could be insured and taxed for the road. Of course if directly the car was involved in say an accident with poor work, they would be down on the driver like ton of bricks. To me this has seemed a most strange decision as although most owners of cars made before 1960 do look after their cars there is always someone prepared to take chances!!

I remember many years ago after welding areas around my rear torsion bar supports I took the car for an MOT. I knew the tester and he knew I had welded it. On every test I had, the lift had 4 support pads which always went onto this area. Must say I sort of flinched a bit when the weight of the rear end went to my welding. He grinned a bit I remember, as he said well if it takes that weight its okay. And that area is not the prescribed area at all for jacking a 356.

But you correct Jonesy the longitudinals and no doubt other structural area's will need a fair amount of work on this 356B but its well worth while doing correctly. Money or time well spent I think.

This will be an interesting thread for sure, and he has people here who really can help.

Roy

Comment

that's a new ruling in the uk roy? i left in 08 so that's news to me, the pre 60 car prices must be going up?

seems a little strange, i would like to know the reasoning behind that decision... although its a little strange down under roy! you could buy a new car here, run it for 20 years and never get it checked. and do that without insurance per say. a mandatory imposed 3rd party insurance with the yearly rego but that's about it.

mark,

the bottom area does look like it needs a fair amount of work, as you'll know living in the uk the rust area is always bigger than it looks... hope all goes well though i shall be watching with interest, just like all the others being worked on

Comment

Working...
                              X