New Project '60 356b S90 t5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi don

So the OD of the circle is 1850mm..... box is 40x40x3mm so i estimate that i will have around 50mm either side of the car......but lets see how the fitting goes.....nervous!

Comment

Hey all. So a bit more work these next few days. Hoops look good so cracking on with getting her mounted. Gearbox out and front hubs and trailing arms off. I noticed when removing the front RHS trailing arms that there was a ridiculous amount of wear in the link pin bushes. See pic! It must have been banging around like crazy! Was trying to work out why this might have happened. Noticed a few cracks around the bottom of torsion tube. Will need attention along with everything else!
      The crack goes from the bottom back of the beam end. Over the top of the bottom torsion tube and down to the front bottom of the beam front edge. (If that makes sense!?)
      More pics to follow tomorrow as this jig progresses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-09-14.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	79770

Name:	image_2016-09-14-2.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	79771

Name:	image_2016-09-14-3.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	79772

Comment

Mark,
        I think I have you beat!

Name:	DSCF5089.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	79781

Comment

Welcome - not sure why I didn't spot your posting - have to review my alerts ... Yepp as Tom mentioned, leave the welded seams big and even ugly - I have nice crease on my rear wing (fender to these yanks !) to work on later as proof

Assume you are up north somewhere judging from screenname ? I am Brighton on boy basically - Division One next year for sure !

You can't be in amore friendly forum - as a novice myself I couldn't have achieved half of what I have, without the patience and guidance of the folks on here.
          Look forward to more of your pictures and work.
          Steve
          Thanks for all the support.
          Steve
          (& Tips and Advice always welcome)

Comment

well....had a good few days on the car...she is now mounted in the roll over rotisserie jig and had chance to have a good look underneath.

Really pleased with the roll over jig ive made, super smooth and easy to set (although for counterbalance it could have been further up in the cage but works fine to 90' ). Was fun welding it underneath as all kinds of angles...meant welding wasnt so neat

had a better look at the crack to the bottom RHS torsion tube/beam area and it appears that the PO must have driven into a rock or somwthing as the area below the master cylinder (between beam and floorpan) is all caved in and i think when this has happened is has stressed the beam and possibly split/cracked it. Does anyone have a few pics of the underside around the front beam to chassis part that is in good condition?

I have also decided as discussed earlier in this thread that there is too much work to patch/repair and roll as is....now i have it on the jig i think it will end up being a full resto. Will be a pause for a while but planning on stripping the rest of the bits off it next time and buying a blaster to spot blast the areas that need it underneath (the bits that will not be replaced for new), plan to manually strip the paint as ive read plenty about it going wrong with blasting!

mark

Name:	IMG_3383.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	79880

Name:	IMG_3391.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	79881

Name:	IMG_3411.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	79882

Name:	IMG_3426.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	79883

[attachment]IMG_3427.MOV[/attachment]

Comment

Mark,

The few pix of the rear underneath look pretty solid. Especially around the torsion area.

The T5 and T6 cars are different so I can't help you with pix around the battery box. Sorry.

Your jig looks really nice. Great start. I can't wait to see your progress.

You might want to consider bringing your car to a media blaster as the spot blaster makes a hell of a mess! I know that from media blasting the areas that couldn't be reached by the initial blasting after metal was removed.

John
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

That's going to work beautifully! How do you Brake the assembly for a hold in a particular position? Vise grip or a C-clamp on the roller resting against the base? Nice job there!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Re pictures....If you take a picture of the damaged are I can then try to match the equivalent area.....
                  Steve

Comment

Chemical strippers are pretty nasty,
                    Your body is in pretty good shape. If your air compressor will run one, I would buy a 8" dual action sander and 80 grit paper, sand off 98% of the paint. Then finish it with a 3M white bristle disc. Might take an extra couple hours, but you will not have stripper in the seams bubbling through your new paint in a couple years. A dual action will go right through several layers of paint.
                    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

thanks for the kind words people. Im actually based in london but car is up north where my folks live.....space is at a premium in london ....hope to bring it down so i can work on it at some point when i can afford a bigger workshop!

Yes i plan to sand the paintwork off.....decided against using paint stripper after a fair bit of reading and also its so messy even when just doing a small thing at home.

The rotisserie is held in position by 2 8mm pins that drop through the base and the frame. I have drilled it so that it can be locked in 5 positions which should give every angle that I need and more can be added if necessary......I decided that I wanted a mechanical lock rather than just relying on a clamp.....didnt like the idea of being smacked in the face or nether regions if the clamp failed!

I wonder how a can check to see if the bottom torsion tube has been nudged back and is now not true to where it should be......heres a few more pics of underside.....doesnt show the damage very well, will try and get some more.

Name:	IMG_3433.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	79951

Name:	IMG_3434.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	79952

Name:	IMG_3436.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	79953

Name:	IMG_3437.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	79954

Name:	IMG_3438.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	79955

Comment

Some rot and strange repairs you have to clean there !
                        This might help ... from Workshop manual.

Name:	bodymeasure2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	79957
                        Steve

Comment

Hey gang

So not much movement with this project of late....a building project is taking up all my time and money.....boring!

Although in an amazing twist of fate I now have a matching numbers car!!! I tracked down my original block on the east coast of the US and went to pick it up! all the way to NY to visit a friend, picked it up from washington area and then packed it well and brought it back to the UK in my luggage! amazing trip overall!

Im still in disbelief that I have actually found the exact engine that my car came with! its only the block so need to track down all the right S90 parts but will do that over time.

Comment

Wow, that's a nice twist of fate! I wonder what journey that block has had since it was cast?

Jonesy

Comment

yes its pretty bonkers that i found it!

As I understand it was bought by the guy I purchased it off in the late 60's early 70's when he bought out a dealership that was closing down and came with all the parts. It has been sat in his basement ever since, his foresight in keeping it was pretty good for me!

Pretty frustrated at the moment that theres been no more movement with this project but its time will come.....and boy I cant wait to get stuck in!

Comment

Do you have pictures of the tools you are referring to?
                                1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                                356 Registry main thread;
                                http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                                1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X