Rusty Tub 2 1958 Speedster Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The frame extrusions and post castings look pretty nice from the photos Drew! The posts have a funky beveled profile at the top; don't know why that was put in but the chrome shop should be able to soften that feature. Now for the big question, what did this unit cost you?
      Thanks again for the update! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Comment

What Drew
          I think someone lured you....
          When theses were sold new, the deal was to get a whole 356 for that price
          It sure aint a cheap hobby to have
          But the good thing today is you can get everything.... NOS or repro to help out our builds..for alot of $$$$$
          / Per
          JOP

Comment

Yes your right guys it was was a pretty expensive item but finding an original has been impossible.
            Anyway the day has come to test the rotisserie.
            This is a great design and only took me and my son to turn it over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5894.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	57434

Name:	DSCF5896.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	57435

Name:	DSCF5898.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	57436
            I can't tell you how good it feels to be sorting out the rust standing up, when i did WUF I had to lay on my back, brilliant.
            More soon
            Regards
            Drew

Comment

Good Evening Sir Drew,
              It sure looks good and will save your back this time plus give you better welds.
              Will you stick some wheels to it as well or you maybe do not need them..... I find it good to be able to roll the rotisserie around for space and sweeping days
              / Per
              JOP

Comment

Looking good Drew. Don't forget, you can always measure up against my speedster when it arrives. Hopefully it should arrive with Ric next week and I'll get it picked up within a week or so.
                Cheers
                Phil

Comment

Very nice. You'll love the hoop rotisserie. I put wheels on mine, which makes clean up a snap and makes turning it single handed a bit easier.

Name:	IMG_0487copy.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	57442
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Nice octogon Rotisseries guys. Thanks for pics. I am going to do a version of these just to get off my back for the short time I will have to have access for floor pan repairs.
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Great job on that Drew! No greater luxury in the world than being able to fix rust in the upright position.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	DSCF5918_sml.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	58527

The floorpan is in pretty good shape so I intend to keep it, just sort out a couple of small tears and a few rust pin holes.
                        The longitudinals and jack mounts are going.
                        Take a look at this original welding and it will give you an idea of how solid this car is.

Name:	DSCF5921_sml.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	58528Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5910_sml.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	58529

Name:	DSCF5919_sml.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	58530

More updates soon.
                        Regards
                        Drew

Comment

Drew, if ht is issue consider notching out the bottom rail and insetting the wheels. Just plan accordingly for full wheel rotation.
                          Mark Erbesfield
                          57 356A
                          65 911
                          68 912
                          73 911S
                          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Drew,

Nice photos of the underneath. Yes, that floor looks good, and the welding on the flat torsion bar support area its to me, amazing. I was really pleased to see that area. I capped mine well over 30 years ago and whilst yours looks nigh on perfect my one in the mid 70's had some holes on the flat area. But... my battery box is nigh on perfect original. I can't understand that. Why did yours rust away and mine hasn't. I know my original floors looked much like yours when I took the underseal off. I did have to plate though a few small floor areas myself.

But, since I did the welding around 38 years ago my car has only got wet about 3 times? I drive it most days today blue sky and a nice country road it went well.

Drew you did well with your A. Not only is it 2 years older than mine I presume during the 38 years my car has hardly got wet yours has been driven I guess for most of them? That box chassis of yours is really nice compared to so many.

Like your spit, so much easier!!

Roy

Comment

WOW! That is one well preserved chassis. A lot of guys will be crying when the photos of it with the roof removed begin to show up.
                              Keep at it Drew!
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments.
                                And yes Justin I am not looking forward to making the forum cry the day the cutting starts.

I have a request.
                                I've been trying to track down a speedster steering column bracket with no success so a guy in Italy who is already manufacturing a pretty nice repro coupe version is up for replicating the speedster one if he can get hold of the dimensions.

Name:	Steeringcolumnbracket.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	59557

So I would very much appreciate any dimensions from original brackets that you could add to my drawing.

Thanks
                                Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X