Rusty Tub 2 1958 Speedster Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks JOP

I only produced one finished part and only for the left side as the other side was OK on WUF810.
    Now I've found it I will put in pride of place on a shelf in the workshop.
    Cheers
    Drew

Comment

Hi Guys
      With door No.1 stripped (on the outside anyway) I thought I would take a look at Speedster door No.2 but before the stripper came out I lined up one of the repro door tops, everything lined up beautifully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5638_sml.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	47322

So on with the stripper, this time there was no bondo and I got down to metal without any drama.

Name:	DSCF5646.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	47323

Name:	DSCF5652.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	47324

No dents, no rust, WOW what a door.

Name:	DSCF5656.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	47325

Name:	DSCF5659.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	47326

Spured on I have now started sripping the inside structure, this is very time consuming with every little bend and seam having to be scraped out with my trusty putty knife.

Name:	DSCF5664.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	47327

Interesting to see the last three digits of it's original chassis number, wonder where the rest of the car ended up?

Name:	DSCF5662.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	47328

Thanks for looking.
      Next update when I get back from holiday.
      Cheers
      Drew

Comment

That's a mighty fine looking door! No rust to boot. A good place to begin the journey.
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Beautiful pair of doors!
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	Hammerform2_sml.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	49692

I have got the hammer form to a stage that I can strike the first set of pockets, I may have to take some more wood out to get the right depth.

A few other things have been happening in the background, I have found a pair of door handles with locks in Belgium and have started taking them apart to get them chromed. Also ordered a key to be cut to the number so I just hope it fits when it turns up.

Name:	5817202.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	49693

Name:	5817203.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	49694

Also awaiting the arrival (finally) of the remaining parts from Ric including a 58 engine, front bumper and a whole list of other bits and bobs.

Name:	photo-6.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	49695

You can just make out my bumper in this picture.

The shipment is on the water so should turn up in the next couple of weeks.

More updates soon.
            Thanks for dropping by.
            Drew

Comment

I'll say Drew, they are definitely more traveled than I am! So you decided to pack them in your suitcase just so you claim that you've wood-widdeled in Spain huh . The forms are coming along nicely. what is basic plan of attack? Will these be made from two halves like Armand had suggested doing or are you shooting for one piece construction? Thanks for the update! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Heay, Drew....you bring work with you on your holiday
                Or this is your way of winding down
                It sure looks like to become a good form to be able to reproduce the pocket molds.
                You are a good joiner.
                Now I know whom to reach out to If I ever want to do a 356 "Speedster".....but it will take a while because I already have a speedster project but on a 964 that will become a early 70 look
                Njoy "Ballermann"
                / Per
                JOP

Comment

Good morning Justin and JOP.

Yes I know its a bit sad taking your project on holiday but it's kind of therapy and beats sitting on the beach.

The plan is to try and hammer it as one piece, I will be cutting the main opening out of a piece of heavy gauge (4mm) aluminium which will be clamped tight over the opening.
                  This should hold the steel in place and give me a good crisp bend around the top.

Have also started to get the body down to bare metal 1/4 at a time.

Name:	Baremetal.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	49827

Thanks for watching.
                  Drew

Comment

Drew, lots of work getting it cleaned up!
                    Compared to the body we sent Justin for his conversion ( under the current spotlight), yours was one of the best bodies we have ever supplied for a conversion. Looking forward to the progress.
                    We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
                    Call toll free today.
                    877-356-8827

Comment

Yes Drew,

How are you getting on with the car? would like to know

Roy

Comment

Name:	WindowsPhone_20150219_22_08_44_Pro.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	56924Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowsPhone_20150219_21_58_51_Pro.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	56925

More updates to follow.
                        Cheers
                        Drew

Comment

Drew,

Thanks for letting us know! That lock post photo really shows the difference between the coupe and the speedster. Without looking back at Justins great work on his conversion did he encounter the same much fuller male radius at the top of the lock post that your new panel shows. There is ( or seems ) a considerable difference in form.

The existing coupe form looks very different on the top of the lock post area its possibly deformed it looks hollow on the radius? I thought all 356 lockposts looked the same but I think you also need the full rear quarter speedster panel to suit this speedster lock post form Is this item now specially produced that both you and Justin need to get? And are your lock posts specifically speedster ones.
                          I attach 2 photos of that area not so different to your coupe.

Name:	2014_1097suitcolour356doorshuts006.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	56928

Name:	2014_1097suitcolour356doorshuts009.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	56929

Roy

Comment

Thanks Drew and thanks also for the update. I was wondering what was going on. Definitely, rounding up all the speedster related parts is daunting and certainly should be one of the main priorities. The striker posts look nice and I think Rusty tubs offers them for about 80 bucks a side. However, the thing I gather from your car is that you don't need these. If they are not severely rusted out why in the world you create all the extra work for yourself by disturbing perfectly fine originals. All you have to do is re-contour the profile at the very top which is pretty straight forward. The strikers are identical otherwise. I wouldn't disturb those but that's just me. If you get a chance could you take some detailed shots of your new windshield frame? curious about the detail in the extrusions and the posts. Keep up the great work! Justin

Thanks Roy!
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Roy yes the door posts are speedster ones and Stoddard's have newly listed them.
                              And Justin don't worry I will only be using the top section it's just easier when you don't have speedster nearby to measure.
                              Here are some pics of the new windshield frame and posts.
                              I would be very interested to see how they stack up against the real ones.

Name:	DSCF5891_sml.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	57005

Name:	DSCF5892_sml.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	57006

Name:	DSCF5893_sml.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	57007

Nearly finished the rotisserie, just one more side bar to drill and bolt up and I can roll her over.

Name:	DSCF5889_sml.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	57008

Name:	DSCF5890_sml.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	57009

More updates soon.
                              Cheers
                              Drew

Comment

Hello Drew,
                                The parts look really nice from you pictures.
                                Good to only use top piece of the door posts.
                                Your rotisserie will be really helpful to you to gain acces.
                                Also noted that you did have a small arsenal of machinery to produce inhouse parts
                                But I did not see a "rollenstreckmaschine" but I guess all of you lads have one in your sheed
                                Thx 4 ya update
                                / Per
                                JOP

Comment

Working...
                                X