No announcement yet.

Rusty Tub 2 1958 Speedster Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its pretty much straight at the inner flange however there is a gentle roll upwards at the ends. The second photo from the top really depicts that contour. I can send you these shots directly...
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Thanks Justin
      The dash drawing is coming on really well, with your photos and Per's dimensions it's all slotting together nicely.
      But there is a critical dimension that I need to progress.
      It's the distance between the two windscreen post socket holes, from dead centre to dead centre would be really useful.
      Thanks in advance.
      Drew

Comment

• Eve Drew,
        Doesnt your CAD program help you with that If you use my "D" 750 mm from my point "0" ?
        I will try to get you a point to point when I get back.
        Looking forward to see more of your projects
        Cheerio
        JOP
        JOP

Comment

• Hi Per

Your measurement is great but I need the actual distance between post holes to complete the triangulation as you can see from this low res screen grab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedsterdashplan_3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	79433

Once I've struck your 750mm arc the post holes could lie anywhere on the circular line hence the dimension needed.
          Hope that makes sense.

Regards
          Drew

Comment

• Drew, I got a reading of 123.5CM from the post holes center to center on both of my conversion cars. Hope this helps.
            Justin

Per, I used a really nice metric tape to get this number...Thanks!
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Thank you Justin that dimension has now been dialled in.

Here is the drawing as it stands, not totally complete but close enough to start turning it into wood.

Name:	Speedsterdashplan_6_sml.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	81201

I am ordering some European Oak that should make a very stable buck that I can hammer form over and also form a complete structure that can hold the 3 pieces together while they are welded together.

Drew

Comment

• I like your work standard Drew, impressive

Roy

Comment

• Drew,

Just started restoration on a previously "restored" '58 Speedster in Perth Australia and have to repair and straighten the front of the frame as had accident of Front Left and poor repair and wish to check all other dimensions as believe it or not the car was purchased as restored but we are taking it back to bare and doing it properly. Notice you have a frame dimension drawing in your topic and wondering if we be able have a good copy and some detail on rotisserie frame you used.

Comment

• Hi and welcome to the best 356 forum.
                    Please post your project here so that we can see your issues.
                    All frame dimensions can be found in the back of the Porsche workshop manual.
                    If the car has been hit hard then you will need a proper Celette bench with all the special attachments (not cheap though).
                    My heavy duty frame was fabricated just to check the factory dimensions, but I'm happy to post more detailed dimensions if that would help.
                    My Rotisserie frame is from a design produced by Emory and can be found online.
                    Again if you need help shout.
                    Regards
                    Drew

Comment

• Welcome also. There was a recent discussion about rotisseries on ABCGT:

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/36415-Rotisserie-Plans.html

Good luck.

John
                      jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Hi Guys
                        Just to keep this thread alive I thought I would share with you what I've been up to in 'Speedster' land.

Name:	DSCF6907_sml.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	89410Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6906_sml.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	89411

Name:	DSCF6900_sml.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	89412

Name:	DSCF6901_sml.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	89413

Name:	DSCF6902_sml.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	89414

Name:	DSCF6904_sml.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	89415

Comment

• Hi Drew,
                          Those look really nice
                          You allways seems to have time to fix the good small things as well....may it be in wood, metal or fabric
                          So when do you release your Porsche 356 Teile Catalog?
                          I never counted the tooths of the lock before.... I learn something new everyday.
                          Cheerio
                          JOP

Comment

• Drew

I bought a Pre A, car back in the mid 60s that had 8 of those straps in the trunk. But they had a piece of plastic on both sides and spiked rivets through the fabric. They looked like some form of tire chains. Same buckles, web fabric, but a more rounded tip end closing.

Have you ever seen them?
                            Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Hi John

Those straps sound very interesting could be some kind of quick fix snow chain but I'm not sure how long the buckle would hold up.
                              Regards
                              Drew

Comment

• I received one of Drew's new tire straps and perhaps a small detail or two might be out ( I don't know since I don't have an old one to compare with) but the overall quality and presentation is absolutely first class and I for one will be proud to have it in the trunk of my car! Nice job Drew and thanks once again!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X