No announcement yet.

SC Coupe Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Roy, you summed it up really well.

Comment

• Thanks Don for posting those pictures, they are really helpful.

I've been struggling with the fit of my front bumper as it has been hit hard at some point.

Several experts suggested that I mock up everything that touches the paint and this proves to be good advice.

After straightening the bumper something just didn't look right when I mounted it on the car. The passenger nose was replaced by me last year and I noticed then that grill cutouts were on a slight angle. Well the bumper creates a nice horizontal line that drove me nuts when looking at the front of the car. It's like the grill was winking at me.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	75395
      The tape lines indicate the deviation. So I cut it and re-welded it so its symmetrical.

Name:	IMG_1791.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	75396

Also fixed several of stress cracks on the bumper flanges by cutting well past the crack itself.

Name:	IMG_1793.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	75397

Keep getting closer slowly even if means doing some things over again.
      Thanks
      Tom

Comment

• The tape really high lighted the deviation well. This is the kind of stuff that the general public at large would never catch once finished but I admire your determination and patience especially this late in the game to continue chasing subtle flaws. Nice Work as always Tom!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Thanks Justin, I'm just glad it was caught in time otherwise I would have to live with it.

Here are pictures from every angle of my mocked up front end. All you eagle eyed guys, please let me know if something is amiss or could be improved upon. I know the hood gaps need a bit more work and that hasn't been crossed off the list yet

Fire away!

Name:	IMG_1844.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	75412

Name:	IMG_1845.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	75413

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	75414

Name:	IMG_1847.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	75415

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	75416

Comment

• Part 2 of 2.

Name:	IMG_1849.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	75418

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	75419

Name:	IMG_1851.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	75420

Name:	IMG_1852.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	75421

Thank you all for your help and checking this out for me.
            Tom

Comment

• looks great Tom!

Comment

• Looks dead on even with the bumper. Nice welding job!!
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Beautiful! I think you're there...
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• I like it too Tom. Looked hard still looks fine.
                    Well done!

Roy

Comment

• Tom and anyone at this stage:

It may be common knowledge or just common sense, but please pay special attention to the headlights and fit with the lights to wind up on the car on each side. As noted on this site and maybe others, different seals have slightly different dimensions, so varying seals can match various clearances.

I am going through that now on an early 911. I had to use a thin 356 seal instead of a thicker foam 911 seal due to the way the (repro) fender was made. Conversely, I have had to use a 911 seal when the car involved had wide clearance from bucket to opening of fender.

After a thin primer on that area, mask until ready to spray or spray a thin coat of color in and around the bucket and re-try the headlight and seal and then re-mask before the final paint spraying.

It's a bear to do all this right after a nice paintjob.

-Bruce

Comment

• Late to the party but that front end looks good to me also. Great work fixing that grill opening. Glad to see you are back at it Tom.
                        I ordered one of those thinner h/l seals from Wolfsburg West I believe. That was for my PreA which had no seal for 34 years of the 35 I had it.

Phil

Comment

• This whole conversation of fitting headlights with seals really got me thinking this afternoon.

Name:	carrera3170.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	75442
                          As headlight bucket distance (when I repaired this side) and paint thickness was always a concern I really hadn't tried to mount my light assemblies in earnest since I got her in final paint. I ran into a few fitment issues (of course)concerning the seal, Proper hooking at the top and overall final flush fitment against the body.

Name:	carrera3188.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	75443
                          By sessions end I really got my head around it and discovered a few things along the way. I'll start a dedicated thread on the subject and maybe the more experienced can chime in as well. Anyway I got them to seat properly but nothing more scary than wrestling with these at this stage. Each time I "gathered up" the unit off the fender I was scared to death I was either going to drop the assembly on the concrete, scratch my paint or both. Glad to be past this!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,

Before I read about your last comment of scratching that paint putting the headlight assembly in place, I was thinking to myself, I bet he had to be so careful doing that after looking at that perfect silver painted front in that first photo!!

Bruce's point is interesting about seal thickness that can vary. These headlight seals do eventually part company, I have replaced mine with new some years ago. The wings (fenders), the buckets, and the complete Bosch headlight assemblies are all original with no repair work done other than painting but I notice today there is a slight clearance on the seal between chrome rim and wing on the sides. In other words the top of the rubber seal is more compressed than the sides. When you look at it, everything is great, only when you try to move the rubber do you notice this. Maybe the case to have a slightly bigger clearance than not enough to take into account the paint?

Roy

Comment

• I have always hated and avoided dealing with my headlights for all the reasons stated here. And my paint is old. I can't imagine the fear of dealing w your beautiful paint. Would love to learn tricks about how to install headlights and have them fit and adjust etc.
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thanks guys! Began a dedicated thread here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/33494-Porsche-356-headlight-assembly-mounting-tips.html

So we don't jam up Tom's original post.

Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X