No announcement yet.

SC Coupe Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the encouragement to improve my bumper fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-06-15.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	76960

Name:	image_2016-06-15-2.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	76961

I added about 5/8" of an inch.

Name:	image_2016-06-15-3.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	76962
    Much happier.

Name:	image_2016-06-15-4.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	76963

I do have a question though.

The bumper is adjusted as high as it will go and it's still pretty close to the back up light. Is this typical?

Name:	image_2016-06-15-5.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	76964

Name:	image_2016-06-15-6.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	76965

Thanks,
    Tom

Comment

• Bumper fit looks great Tom, Nice work! With this alteration you may want to mock up the bumper deco you're going to be using as it might come up a little short and not allow the tips to come forward enough for your liking.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Tom,
        Here's a shot of my '65C backup light to bumper positioning.

Name:	DSCF0143.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	76982

Comment

• Tom

Oh S--t. I Googled in 356 Porsche bumpers, but not many pics of them installed. One came up on your old Samba thread where I guy posted a pic related to license plate hole locations. Looks like some car to car variation on the backup light clearance. Here is one taken years ago when I started removing Foam. Looks like the light situation you have:

Name:	FirstSessionofFoamRemoval.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	76997

Comment

• Originally posted by tperazzo" post=34101
            The bumper is adjusted as high as it will go and it's still pretty close to the back up light. Is this typical?
            Yes, it's fairly common, and I positively HATE it! In your one side view pic, the bumper end looks a little low in the relief of the fender as well. Optical illusion? Fix it. I sometimes have to loosen the bumper just to service the light.
            These B C bumpers are all over the place. RE: the deco being short on the tip. They all look a bit short there by about an inch or so to me. Position the deco so that the distance is equal, or, if you are a perfectionist (and we know you are), cut the deco in three pieces, with the splits hidden behind the bumper guards and redrill/file the rectangular deco mounting holes (you will have to do it anyways to get equal spacing). While you are at it, do the front as well. Like I tell Trevor, "I don't care how hard you have to work!".
            BTW, put a huge cushion on the floor under the rear bumper while fitting the reverse light lens, so when you drop it (not IF you drop it), it won't shatter, and be easy on the bezel screws to avoid disaster.
            Attached Files
            Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Thank you all for your pictures, feedback and advice!

Jack is right about the tip alignment being off. The internal brackets were always missing I think or at least I couldn't find them after all these years, ha ha.

I had some made and they arrived today. Let me know if you need some.

Name:	image_2016-06-16.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	77001

This bracket is needed to accurately position the bumper tip to the internal fender brace.

I like the clearance between the light and bumper that Don's car has and looks right to me.

It's probably hard to see in the picture but the bumper brackets look a little off before the z bend area.

Name:	image_2016-06-16-2.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	77002

Without an oxy/acetylene torch I wasn't going to try to bend these, so I cut them partially.

Name:	image_2016-06-16-3.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	77003

And welded back together.

Name:	image_2016-06-16-4.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	77004

The black lines on the table represent the before and after. Hopefully this will give me the clearance needed for that light after I modify the other three brackets.

Thanks Jack for the shattered glass warning. I was not being careful the first go around.
              I really appreciate the help guys.

In other news, this happened.

Name:	image_2016-06-16-5.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	77005

I'm such a sucker for junk. I won't touch this until the 356 is painted but I will create a new thread on this site.
              Tom

Comment

• Just for reference, Tom's photos show the rear bumper bracket upside down from the mounted position. The dog leg kicks the bumper UP, when mounted.
                Nice work, Tom.
                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• yeah, that's the fix Jack; Cut the deco in three pieces and hide the joint under the bumperettes. I was initially envisioning something to do with a TIG welder but your suggestion is much more practical. Thanks again for sharing with us all your hard fought wisdom!

Nice Find Tom, how complete and rusty is it? You'll make David Gensler proud with this new purchase. Look forward to the build!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice fix, Tom. I agree that Don's back up light looks better set.

So now that you've teased us..... What's the year and model of the new toy? It looks pretty rust free in that one picture. Gotta love projects!

JP
                    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks guys. I totally jinxed myself by saying the welding is done. I'm sure that's why these bumper brackets are giving me trouble now. Good point Jack about the dog leg orientation. I wish it was easy as flipping the brackets over.

Justin, I too was thinking of welding on the decos, but Jacks method is ideal. I will pull out the decos and see what needs to be done.

The new toy is a 1974 S. I got it because it's smog exempt in CA, cheap, non-salvaged title, and rust free. Okay there's no such thing as rust free, but she's solid.

The bad news is that it's missing everything so it's a puzzle. My C will be totally stock and original as possible, while this 911 will be a hot rod/track car. Like an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. It also has some accident damage to the structure in the right front.

I haven't decided about body mods, but most likely will back date it to 73 with the long hood.

Right now it's giving me more incentive to finish the 356 and I'm enjoying the parts hunt so far.
                      Cheers,
                      Tom

Comment

• Tom, this is how Porsche wanted it to look..... Atleast in our Porsche manuals

Name:	image_2016-06-17.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	77027

JOP
                        JOP

Comment

• Thanks Per, I knew I'd seen that picture before.

Those strategic saw cuts to the bumper brackets did the trick.

Name:	image_2016-06-17.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	77038

Just like Don's and the manual although the adjustment is still maxed out! I'm happy with the fix because you can't tell anything was modified.

So, I think I finally conquered the bumpers except for the decos. Mine are a mess and I'm not sure they are even usable so I haven't mounted them yet. As Jack said whatever I use will need to be modified to fit.

Please have a look at the bumper cutouts below. Sorry they are sideways. They rotated during upload?

Name:	image_2016-06-17-2.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	77039

Name:	image_2016-06-17-3.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	77040

It appears the bottoms are off. Could someone measure the cutouts and the corner radius for me?

It seems like I need to doctor up the lower portion of each cutout. There is plenty of clearance for the brackets.

Thanks in advance,
                          Tom

Comment

• Tom,
                            Mine measure 30mm x 60mm. Your top corner radius look about right.

Comment

• Thanks again Don for your help. Good intel from a good car like yours is a godsend.

Name:	image_2016-06-18.jpeg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	77056

Name:	image_2016-06-18-2.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	77057

And the left side is done too.

Name:	image_2016-06-18-3.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	77058
                              Yay, onto fitting the deck lid. C's seem to have tight gaps on the deck lid but mine are touching.
                              Will post pictures soon on that repair.

Name:	image_2016-06-18-4.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	77059

2mm gap at top, and less than 1mm on bottom. Hmmm.

Name:	image_2016-06-18-5.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	77060

Thanks for following!
                              Tom

Comment

• "The new toy is a 1974 S. I got it because it's smog exempt in CA, cheap, non-salvaged title, and rust free. Okay there's no such thing as rust free, but she's solid."

I just finished one of those for the son of the original owner. He tried to get it done before his Dad died, but it was too late....so he finished it for himself as a tribute to his Dad. He chronicled the redo on Facebook and I think another (Maybe Pelican) site. As the engine wasn't original to the car, he sold that and bought a 3.2 and got a great "driver" quickie resto.

I welded a vertical perimeter of 1/8" steel around the inner walls of the cockpit to stiffen the chassis, but it was not very rusty, just the typical old Targa flex.

I knew Ivan Holtz's Dad and he would have been very happy. He was with Ivan when Ivan had me PPI a 356SC sunroof...$18k in '99. I looked it over, took a short drive....Ivan's dad just walked over and said "Is it worth the money?".... I replied affirmatively.....so he turned to Ivan and said "Ivan, give the man his money....let's drive it home."

Name:	IMG_28461.JPG
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	77078

Glad you got the 30/60 measurements on the bumper bracket holes, but of course, the later models were more predictable, but also had variations .... just not as hugely variable as the pre-B cars.

As for lid gaps, especially rear....I have found that as soon as the paint is removed, the openings shrink and the lids expand. I just haven't figured out why over hundreds of examples. I have too often had to cut a 'smile' on the upper corner of the opening's outer edge and create (weld after moving the short vertical back) the needed 2 or 3mm for even a 'tight' fit. Doesn't seem to matter open or closed later 356s...even later A and B cars have this malady occasionally.

If you figure that phenom out, let me know, please!

Good luck,
                                -Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X